Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Buy one Get one Free\ Shop Now DOTD

Style Name: Essential RedChange

on October 30, 2010
First of all, if you are a wine drinker, get this. It works, or else I've been taken by the psychology of it. I first encountered it at the Sterling winery in California. Since we were joining the "club", we got quasi-VIP treatment, which included a demo of this device on a newly opened bottle of wine (yes, the Sterling wine store had them for sale for $45). Wine was poured into one glass from the bottle, and another through the Vinturi. It clearly made a difference in aroma and taste. We've since done a couple of blind tests, and picked the aerated wine every time.

Now, let me save you a couple bucks. The basic device includes a small rubber stand for storing the Vinturi. It is just fine. The upgraded 6-piece set includes a less-than-useful stand. It is not attractive enough to leave on display, so it's another bulky thing to store. Also, we found that our wine glasses were either too short--and we got spashing--or they were too tall and wouldn't fit. Plus, the stand holds the Vinturi perfectly vertical, which is contrary to the included instructions, which tell you to tip it slightly to the side.

So, fellow wine drinkers, get the $25.47 model, and you'll be quite pleased. Don't waste your money on the six-piece version with the stand.
on April 24, 2007
I bought one of these on a whim when the product launched just before Christmas, 2006. It seemed like a perfect - if unnecessary - stocking stuffer for my wife, since we're both wine enthusiasts. I never really felt these "gimmick" aerators did much that a solid 1/2 hour decanting couldn't do. Boy was I wrong.

The device itself is attractive, compact and solidly built. It appears to be a simple oblong plexiglass "funnel" with a rubber grip. There are two small channels in the center of the funnel, which look like "cracks" in the plastic (I've read product info that assures worried buyers these cracks are proper and unavoidable). Wine is poured through the top of the funnel, and immediately a suction sound is heard as the pouring draws air into the wine before it escapes out the bottom of the funnel. The aerator is easily held, and I've never had a problem with spills.

Now on to the "effect" of the Vinturi. I've been using the Vinturi for 5 months now, on a variety of wines ... from a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck", to a nice '98 Vietti Barolo, to a bottle of 97' Phelps Insignia. In every circumstance, with every wine, I've noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the wine when poured through the Vinturi, as opposed to tasted directly from bottle. The flavours are more blended, the finish is less acidic, and frankly, it has made most of the wines I drink a more pleasurable experience, from sniff to swallow. I've conducted several "blind" tastings with friends, and we all agree - this thing works.

If you're a serious wine drinker - or shopping for a wine drinker in your life - give this product a try. At $40, it's about the price of a decent California Cabernet, and will yield results for decades to come. I plan on picking up a few dozen this Christmas and giving them out as gifts to business clients.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2008
Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator
The Vinturi Wine Aerator is the longest selling and most popular wine aerator on the market. I give this product a favorable review in this short clip.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2008
Many of the reviewers here are claiming that the Vinturi works. Well, I was skeptical, yet I was curious enough to purchased one.

I began by pouring an ounce or two of a red wine directly into the glass, not using the aerator, then tasting the wine. Then I'd pour more of the same wine through the Vinturi and taste again. In most cases I believed I could taste a difference between the non-aerated and aerated wine. For a week or two I was quite impressed with the Vinturi; yet deep inside I was wondering whether the power of suggestion was influencing my assessment.

In order to objectively challenge the performance of the Vinturi, I performed a little experiment. I left the room and had my wife pour three glasses of red wine from the same bottle; two were poured without the aerator and one with the aerator. Once the bubbles from the aeration settled (30 seconds or so), my wife called me back into the room to perform the "blind tasting" to see if I could discern the wine which had been poured through the Vinturi.

It turns out that the Vinturi really does work. I was able to pick which wine of the three was aerated. All skepticism has been removed as far as I'm concerned. I've recommended the Vinturi to several of my wine drinking friends and they likewise have confirmed the effectiveness of the Vinturi's aeration.

There are two reasons why I don't give this product a five star rating. The first reason, as another reviewer has already noted, is that the wine must be carefully poured into the Vinturi at a specific rate. Pour too fast and the wine will overflow. Pour too slow and the Vinturi will run dry and won't aerate properly. It takes careful attention.

Second, the Vinturi will continue to drip wine after each use. It does come with a handy little holder which keeps the wine from running onto the table, but then the little holder needs to be washed after each use.

These concerns are small matters in the overall perspective. It really comes down to the tasting experience. If you enjoy tasting good red wines then these blemishes are small compromises to make.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2009
Well, I'll be... this silly little thing actually works. How can you get the effect of decanted wine in the time it takes to pour a glass from a newly-opened bottle? After reading other reviews, I was convinced to try it, but after seeing it work I thought, "There's no way- that was too fast and too easy."

I was wrong.

I took 3 blind taste tests. I washed 2 identical glasses, opened a new bottle of Merlot, poured one straight from the bottle and poured the other through the Vinturi Aerator. I left the room and asked my wife to move the glasses to the table and call me when all the bubbles were gone. There was no question which one had been aerated. I picked it right away. Even when my son tried to tell me I picked wrong, I stood by my choice, it was that obvious. It softens the wine, releases the bouquet and created a silky finish. I took multiple tests and picked it right every time. My wife took turns testing and could tell as well.

I got an aerator for red and white so a couple days later I opened a bottle of white and did the same test and got the same results. The difference is enough that I won't have a glass without it now. Even wine I would normally open and pour and drink right away is now aerated, red or white, it makes a real difference.

I bought the tower, which is an added expense, but it's nice for parties so guests can serve themselves and not have to handle the aerator, just pour and enjoy. The quality of the parts feel solid, not cheesy plastic like I thought it would be. Taken care of, I don't see why these can't last for many years, and since it's just liquid and air, it should work just as well in 10 years as it does today.

I'm impressed and plan to show them off to my fellow wine enthusiasts at our annual New Years party.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2008
After reading a number of reviews, it's obvious that a lot of people are convinced that the Vinturi Aerator does a good job of making wine taste better. I arranged a taste test of my own with three people. I poured two glasses, one aerated and one not and none of the three knew which was which. The verdict was unanimous among all three that one glass was better than the other and they actually chose the non-aerated version as the winner. Two of the three are wine afficianados and one is not so there was a variety of palettes involved.

Based on my test of this product, it appears to be an abject failure. Yet, dozens of people have written glowing reviews and a large number of them appear to have done blind taste tests of their own. Since I certainly don't believe that everyone else is lying (a conspiracy, that's it!) I can only surmise that some people may find the effect of aeration more pleasing than others.

My recommendation is simple. If you're interested in this product, see if you can try one at a friend's first or buy it from a place with a liberal return policy. That way you can decide for yourself whether it's an improvement or a waste of money.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2009
I have had this aerator for many months and am very pleased with it's ability to let the wine breath as it is poured. This aerator is quick and relatively neat, except for some drippage from the air holes. I highly recommend it for heavier red wines.
Now the stand/tower just makes this drippage issue worse. It runs down the inside of the stand pooling where you would set a glass, and down the outside of the stand directly onto the table/tablecloth.
I love my aerator, I just wish it didn't drip the way it does.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2012
Enjoyed upon receiving. Not a night and day difference, but using with scotch seemed to provide a smoother finish and reduce the "burn" quality (i drink it neat.) HOWEVER, after about 5 uses, pressing the button to release the scotch through the aerator no longer worked! I pressed it several times, to no avail - then held it in place to see if it would eventually free itself, also to no avail... poured the scotch into my glass out of the top, so that i could then shake and smack the aerator and the stopper eventually freed itself. But the stopper - which appears to be magnetic - has not worked well since, and i would inevitably have to smack it a couple of times prior to pouring to get it to work (since you can't smack it while there's anything in the glass.) Anyways, I call the manufacturer for a replacement and I have to pay to ship it to them. They pay return shipping for replacement - fair enough - but i'm still paying extra for dealing with the hassle. Hopefully the next one will not have this issue, as this seems to be the first mention of this problem. I will update if the next one has this issue.

Take note manufacturers, if YOUR product has a fault and it has inconvenienced a customer for a legitimate reason, consider paying for their shipping to soften the hassle of an exchange.
on January 3, 2012
I had my skepticism, I start with that because if you like what you already drink what could an aerator do to it? Well it does enough for me to keep this little tool out and nearby my good alcohol. I did the old side-by-side non aerated to aerated single shot taste test. For the really cheap clear alcohol all I can say it does is make it have less of a burn while drinking and actually smooths out the after taste to a nice fade off. As for higher end, scotch in my case, I tried a 12 year single malt & a 17 year old single malt. Starting with the 17 year old scotch, this stuff is smooth and great to begin with, the side-by-side test concluded with the aerated scotch being much more floral/aromatic, the after taste was MUCH more enjoyable as it seemed to melt into a buttery feeling and just faded off into bliss.
The 12 year old scotch, it's good on the rocks and a splash of water. With the aerator it turned a 12 year old scotch into a very close 15/16 year old scotch. All the little notes of flavor came to live, I won't way it is perfect but a cheaper bottle of scotch in my cabinet just payed for this little aerator. All the harshness and lingering after taste of the 12 year old scotch, just melted away. Again not on the same level as the 17 year old but pretty darn close. I can put the max of 2 full jiggers, or more :), and know that what comes out will be a nice drink all around.
For the $$, I'd suggest you give this a shot (or 2) if you like to enjoy a fine liquor. I know I will defiantly be keeping this at close hand when making my drink, or drinks for others. I'm very tempted to by a few for some good friends and family to spread the enjoyment. The stopper and release button are NOT mechanical! An ingenious and fool proof design of two opposing magnets creates the opening effect while the weight of the magnet closed the stopper. Truly is machine washable and pretty durable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I love wine, particularly reds, so when I received this Vinturi device, I couldn't wait to test it. In my youth, I had worked as a manager at a French restaurant with one of the top wine lists in the country, so I knew all too well the importance of allowing a fine wine to breathe, thus maximizing the bouquet and flavor through the oxidation. Now, of course, far removed from that life, I just like my wines to be enjoyable.

The first time I tried my Vinturi, it was a disaster. I didn't want to try it out on an expensive wine for fear of ruining it, so I chose a inexpensive red wine, an Australian Shiraz. Because I used it in a restaurant with ten people at the table watching , I tilted the device toward me so I could reach it, and poured. Red wine spilled everywhere. As the wine passed through the device, it sounded like a soda machine that was close to empty. Although I could taste the difference between a glass poured right out of the bottle and one poured through the Vinturi, the difference was barely noticeable. Was it worth the spilled wine and the only slight taste difference? Suffice it to say that I was ready to bury it at the bottom of a drawer.

But then . . .

I decided to give the Vinturi another try. I knew that the spillage most likely had to do with how I had held the device and/or the bottle. My second attempt, on a better red, a Rhone with a relatively recent vintage, worked much better. I held the Vinturi straight up and down, and poured from a standing position rather than reaching across a table. The only spill came from a few drips at the bottom after I removed it, and even then, they collected in the included holder, not on the table. The wine, which needed a few more years in the bottle, was noticeably changed after it had been poured through the Vinturi. The tannins were softened, and the flavor enhanced. However, it was not until I used the Vinturi on a big California blend, a high-quality red that needed another five to eight years in the bottle, that the most noticeable change occurred. Without the Vinturi, the taste was tight, high in tannin (which lends that dry, pucker-y sensation), and definitely too young despite the obvious underlying complexity. The Vinturi opened that wine up so that it tasted as though it had been aged for another five years. The difference was marked. I was sold.

The device itself is a relatively heavy, lucite object with a rubberized grip for holding. The air holes on the sides create turbulence inside the cup and funnel to aerate the wine as it passes through. The box comes with a black rubberized holder (essential to catch the drips after using it) and a pouch to protect it from scratches. The design is both simple and oddly beautiful.

The Vinturi is obviously manufactured for oenophiles, people who regularly drink high-quality red wines and can taste the difference. Don't bother getting this if you're primarily a white wine drinker (whites don't need the kind of breathing that reds do) or if you always buy wine that is ready to drink. Since less expensive wines are generally sold to be drinkable immediately, they are not affected the same way that wines destined for cellars are. And there's no way that any device can make a so-so wine into a good one. That happens at the winery, never at the table.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann