5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a masterpiece
Published on November 6, 2001 by Zachary Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre
The music is superb, a much more mature "Scumdogs" sound, but all the fun from the previous albums is missing. It's worth buying if you're into GWAR, but you'll probably find yourself reflecting on the glory days instead of reaching for this more than a few times. From a purely metal perspective, though, the album excels with some amazing riffs. I just find myself getting...
Published on April 20, 2008 by D. Dohoda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a masterpiece, November 6, 2001
Zachary Turner (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered this album ..., so I have had about a week or so to listen to and think about this album, and I am confident when I say that this is the best album that GWAR has ever done. Many of their previous albums have had alot of songs which were just flat out bad (Carnival of Chaos anyone?). I have literally listened to Violence has Arrived constantly since I received it. This album is by far the heaviest album they have ever done, and every song is brutally sick and disgusting, yet at the same time wildly hilarious. Here's a few short lyrics from various songs, so you can see what I mean:
From "Bloody Mary"
Bloody Mary
Slutty? Very...
I treat my girlfriends even better than Chuck Berry.
...
The mutant we made was really beautiful baby,
We fingered and touched him
And sprayed him with rabies.
From "Biledriver" (my favorite)
All is for me to destroy,
and emptiness employ
I want to murder everyone in the entire world.
Every man and woman, every boy and every girl
...
The young are simply too dumb to live
The old are weak and unclean
The ones in the middle they also must die
Their ways are obtuse and obscene
Biledriver!
Bring forth the Biledriver!
From "Abyss of Woe" (my second favorite)
(something I can't make out) attracted great scorn
But we ventured onwards through the Tundra of Tor
Soon I had attracted a posse of trolls
Who'd grown fat and sloppy from the roasting of souls.
But we were surrounded at the Valley of Krynn
And it was a battle we never could win
But still I hacked madly with my back to the wall
Heeding the horn of my futile call
The mutilated millions I was born to appall
Heads leaped from shoulders as they flock to the mall.
The Song of Words is also quite hilarious. It's more spoken than sung, and it's basically Oderus recounting a brutal killing spree that he, Balsac, Flattus, and Jizmak embarked on where they killed OJ Simpson and "Regis" (I guess he's referring to Regis Philbin?) (and trust me, they go into a lot of detail about the specific causes of death)
Anyway, You get the idea, buy the album. It will definitely tear you a new one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gwar takes the full metal approach, March 4, 2002
H. Mackins (Salem, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
Violence Has Arrived is billed as Gwar's return to form, but that's not entirely valid. The metal presented here doesn't feel much like Scumdogs or America at all; instead, it's a lot cleaner and self-controlled, staying within its musical boundaries. That's not to say it's bad at all; rather, this angry quasi-concept album focusing on killing, killing, and more killing features some of the most enjoyable Gwar songs in recent memory. The war-chant at the beginning of Abyss of Woe should get any viking fan pumped up, while Oderus' eloquent enunciation in Anti-Anti-Christ ("Your domes..") and Apes of Wrath ("Moats..Boats") is simply stupendous. The only thing missing here are the concept songs, but efforts like Happy Death Day and The Song of Words are *almost* enough to allow one to forget about such narrative omissions. If Violence Has Arrived is any indication of Gwar to come (sounds safe, but what Gwar album has emulated its predecessor?), things are looking great. Highlights: Abyss of Woe, Anti-Anti-Christ, Happy Death Day, Bloody Mary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metal Has Arrived, February 17, 2002
"hulatek" (TN. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
Gwar has returned with a spattered new album. The much maligned 'joke songs' are missing ( they went on the DBX cd )but there are still clever, satirical lyrics to be had. The varying musical styles of the past few albums have been replaced with pure, hardcore metal. I personally miss the extreme silliness, but this cd is still a great effort.The assault begins with 'Hell-Intro'and doesn't let up until the eighth track 'Licksore', a hilarious account of a lonely single woman and her starving cat.This is followed by 'Bloody Mary'which has more of a rock n roll feel.The assault revs up again until the humorous 'rap' track 'The Song of Words'.Gwar says goobye with 'Happy Death Day'a goofy track that leaves ya smilin. Gwar has proven they can still thrash with the best and haven't gone soft. I saw a show from this tour, and wish I could say the theatrics are as good as the album, but here's where not doing the usual 'concept' album didn't work.....we miss ya Slimey. If you like gwar, buy 'Violence', if you like no-holds barred metal, you should buy it too...hell, everybody should buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Their back with a new style., March 11, 2002
"beast27" (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
This is one of GWAR's best yet. It was a great album. It was more metal than punk (as in previous albums) This is one of GWAR's sickest albums also. The album only has 2 of the cuss words in the entire album. All of the songs are about violence, gore, blood, and battles. Although I am surprised that track 13 "Happy Death day" made it on the album because of what went on with Columbine. Gwar has changed their style in music and their costumes are better on the cover art. If you liked "Scumdogs of the Universe" and "America Must be Destroyed" then definetly buy this one but if you like their more punk/thrash then this may be a disappointment. My personal favorites are "Abyss of Woe" "Licksore" and "The Song of Words" What is also good about this album is GWAR dropped the whole comedy lyrics and the songs are more grotesque. All in all it is a very good album if you are a GWAR fan like me you should like it. I bought the album and loved it. I hope you found this review helpful, Good Luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gwar does it again, March 30, 2002
Dave A. (Rochester, N.Y. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
First of all, this is not the Gwar of recent years.Unlike most of their other albums there is no concept, except maybe death which is fine with me. As a Gwar fan for nearly ten years they never cease to amaze me. No new album sounds like the previous. I personally am sick of this band not getting the attention they deserve for being excellent musicians.Costumes and fake blood aside, these guys write great songs and Dave is one of the best lyricists EVER! Gwar is not just a band. They are talented artists who continuously have the best stage show around,write and draw their own comics, and they write and direct great and very entertaining movies(Phallus In Wonderland,Skulhed Face,and It's Sleazy).If there is a definitive "independent" band, it's Gwar. Anyways enough of me kissing their [rear ends], onto my review of the album.This album simply kicks some serious [rear]! I personally miss the occasional "joke" song or two, but by no means does this make it a bad album.Oderus(Dave Brockie) sounds great and this is some of their heaviest stuff yet.The album opens with "Hell Intro" and doesn't let up until the final notes of "Happy Death Day." The highlights on the album for me are "Battle Lust," "Abyss of Woe," the epic "Immortal Corruptor," "Bloody Mary," and pretty much every other song. I'm going to their show in a few weeks and I can't wait to see what the new show is like. I must admit, I'm gonna miss seeing Slymenstra up there with them, but I know they won't disappoint. If you are a Gwar fan you probably already own this, if you're sick of all this [junk] out today(Limp Bizkit, Korn,etc.)get this to see what real [kickin] metal sounds like. One more thing, if you do miss the "joke" songs,get the Dave Brockie Experience"Diarrhea of a Madman" cd(it has Dave, Mike Derks, and Brad Roberts also of Gwar).It's a great cd and fans of Gwar will love it. Basically buy everything these guys do because they are the only true visionaries left in the music industry and I will continue to buy and support everything they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good album., August 31, 2004
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
Before this album was released, I kept on saying that Gwar's ""America Must Be Destroyed" album was their heaviest. After I bought this i'm staring to believe it's Gwar's heaviest!!!! Here's a song rating:

1. Hell Intro N/A

10. Biledriver 5/5

11. The Wheel 4/5

12. The Song Of Words 5/5

13. Happy Death Day 5/5

Though it has some flaws, it'sa very good album. Buy this if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of gwar's best, August 10, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
The thing i have always liked about gwar is even if they didnt have the clever and entertaining image and theme, as musicians they can defintiely hold their own. This is really just all classic thrash type metal. But as good as their records are, you could never be able to appreciate them until you see them live. Their live show is one of the most incredible thigns ever featuring decapitations, the audience being drenched in (fake) blood, and so on. Lucky for me, gwar usually comes to dc once a year. But if you live somewhere they never tour, they have a tons of movies and live dvd's you can get to experience gwar's live show.

5.0 out of 5 stars GWAR's heaviest, sickest album to date, December 24, 2005
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
No more funny lyrics just pure heavy metal. Every song on this album is amazing and very heavy. Every metalhead should own a copy. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR PICK THIS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars NU-gwar, December 1, 2001
mrgypsum (Boston, Ma USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
The CD booklet is worth the price of the album alone, it is a poster of the cover. This album gives me a sigh of relief. I thought that Gwar was going "soft". But somehow I knew that they would not release an album sounding like the 1 1/2 albums (Carnival of Chaos and 1/2 of We Kill Everything) preceding it. I guess they got all of that stuff out of their systems in the DBX album. Being their 8th album as Gwar, Violence.. lives up to its name. Most of the songs are about death, and barbaric slaughter: what every Gwar song is about. Gwar has always released albums with a few serious/political songs mixed in with the silly and chaotic. On this album that song is "Happy Death Day" a great song. Other great songs include "Biledriver", "Battle Lust", "Anti-Anti-Christ" and "Abyss of Woe".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gwar Smash!, June 29, 2004
Bonerus Viagrus (??????????????????) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violence Has Arrived (Audio CD)
This album is great! I waited and counted down the days until this hit the stores and my friend got it and burned it for me. Gwar is my favorite band of all time. They rock out with their c***s out, literally! They push the limits and never sell out to mainstream. That's why they're the best. This album is very hard, heavy and laden with material that could even have been played on the radio, but that ain't Gwar's style. Who wants to play a song on the radio by a band who has sworn to kill everyone on the Earth? That just causes a panic. The music is great and the lyrics are in your face without the F this and F that so I don't feel bad listening to it with my family home. They're not soft though, it is very violent, even for it's title.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Violence Has Arrived
Violence Has Arrived by Gwar (Audio CD - 2001)