4.0 out of 5 stars After two weeks everyone in the office uses it
The UV Cell Phone Sanitizer is a new device from VIOlight to clean up to 99.9% of the germs found on your electronic gadgets.

Basically anything you can fit into the cleaner will be blasted with UV light for a few minutes of UV light cleaning power. Here is the video walk through of the un-boxing and usage.

One distinct thing to note is that this is...
Published on October 27, 2010 by C. Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Small for Galaxy S3
There needs to be a disclaimer on this product: It is too small to hold modern cell phones! The problem is the cover is too short. It appears your phone needs to be shorter than approx 4.8" to fit inside.
Published on August 28, 2012 by B. Erickson

4.0 out of 5 stars After two weeks everyone in the office uses it, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Violife UV Cellphone Sanitizer, 14-Ounce (Health and Beauty)

One distinct thing to note is that this is killing the unseen germs, not making your device shiny. I suggest using some form of cleaner to get off all the normal stuff, smudges and smears from your devices and then tossing it in. There is an included basket to hang your earbuds, stash your bluetooth headsets and more. A graphical sizer sits on the outside of the box. I was easily able to place my HTC Evo (including Siedio case Seidio Innocase II Surface Case for HTC EVO 4G (Black)) into the cleaner.

I know you sit and wonder if it really did it's job? Someone in the office noticed the ozone odor on their Blackberry after using it. I am guessing that it is doing it's job! Do not forget, it takes 3 AA batteries to operate. We have not needed to change batteries after at least thirty uses of the device so far.

I did a video review on YouTube as well

So do I recommend it? Based on their performance with other UV sanitizer products, this is worth it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Small for Galaxy S3, August 28, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT working for iphone 5, November 15, 2012
I am disappointed that my iPhone 5 is too long for this (I tried my old iphone 4 and it worked fine), so I have to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Germ Killer, February 1, 2011
Works well, I mean you can not actually see the germs getting zapped, but the blue light lets you know they are running for the hills. Great idea since everyone uses cell phones more and more. Not sure how often you are supposed to use, but I zap mine every few days.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to check the UV bulbs and extend battery life, December 9, 2011
Left a comment/question before but owning it now, after the price dropped to ~$20, which is the fair price IMO.

To answer my own question previously posted, the way to check whether the UV bulbs are actually working is to go to a dark room, insert the cage, and align the magnet in the back of the cover bottom to the spot where it would normally touch without putting the cover on. The two UV bulbs should light up. If not, it's time to replace.

I'd recommend every owner try it once when the bulbs are still working to know the difference.

Also, leave the cage out when you close the cover after each use, it will double your battery life by skipping an otherwise automatic run as explained below.

Pros:
* Killing the germs on portable electronics is important, and there aren't that solutions available without getting wet as far as I'm aware.
* Cool, sleek design, a pleasure to look at.
* Batteries seem to last.

Cons:
* Dead corners/sides that UV won't reach
* The flashing blue light outside is not UV. A small window on the back with UV-blocking polycarbonate would be user-friendly for maintenance.
* Larger or thicker phones won't fit. You can't skip the removable cage as it triggers a sensor for the device to turn on.
* Everytime you close the cover with the cage in, it runs a sanitation cycle, regardless if there's anything in the cage. It's a waste of battery.
* Not sure if the UV would hurt the LCD display with long-term use. Well, we probably replace our phones before any damage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy electronics, January 24, 2011
Ed Cox (Gunter, TX USA) - See all my reviews
The sanitizer is simply easy to use, fits almost all handheld devices and seems to be easy on the battery life. Can't ask for much more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should have, January 12, 2011
Bonnie Sisti (SCOTTSDALE, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
love this product. every evening i put my phone in it and feel clean and fresh when i remove it, ready to use for the next day!

3.0 out of 5 stars My cell phone doesn't fit, March 24, 2012
I think this is a great product but unfortunately, my Motorola Droid doesn't fit - even when I remove the basket. I am going to bring this to the office for others to use instead of returning it, but I am disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for so many uses, September 16, 2011
J. Evans (Springfield, MO United States) - See all my reviews
We love our Violight UV Cellphone Sanitizer. We can use it on ear buds, cell phones, and many other devices. With the flu season around the corner I would not want to be without my sanitizer - it helped us last year!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, I guess?, April 16, 2012
A blue light comes on, then turns off 4 minutes later.
Does that actually mean it's doing anything? Who knows.. but no complaints.
It even fits the Samsung Galaxy S2, but anything bigger than that will be a stretch.

Violife UV Cellphone Sanitizer, 14-Ounce