Visconti Leather Distressed Messenger Bag 18548-HARVARD
Price:$109.99 - $114.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 15, 2013
I ordered this to replace a canvas bag used for years and two smaller leather bags.
I have no Cons with this bag.
Be aware though that the dimensions listed are evidently for the unsewn leather pieces.
Mine measures 13 3/4" wide, 10 1/4" interior height and 4" depth front to back at the bottom and 3 1/4 at the top corners, all measurements are for the main compartment and don't include the front flap..

I can put an old Dell D631 14" laptop into the bag and it just barely touches the two sides.
there is still room for a 1 1/2' three ring binder.
A standard size magazine will fit into any of the three pockets, tight fit in the length for the two zippered pockets.

The center main pocket of course stretches out from the two sides adding to what you can put into it.
As an overnight bag it holds far more than you would expect. (But then I'm a male and don't need much)
socks, boxers, polo shirt, shorts, tee shirt, sandals, shaving kit, 7" tablet, charger for phone and tablet... And I could still pull the front down and close it on the magnets.

>>>I do not recommended the following to anyone, and take no responsibility if you do it and aren't happy with the results<<< I've worked with leather for years and knew what to expect from Oiled leather.
I ordered the Oiled Tan color, knowing I was going to apply a waterproofing wax and that this would darken the color.

When the bag arrived i wiped it down to remove some of the oil, (very light transfer, brown and black would be worse)
I then applied a good coat of Sno-Seal over the entire bag, and melted it in with a hair dryer.
Let it cool down for about a 1/2 an hour, and then wiped and buffed the bag to remove any excess wax.

This turned the bag into a nice deep rich brown color, and waterproofed it, and stopped any further oil transfer.
Photos posted to Amazon did not display.
Link to photos: [...]

Sno-Seal
Atsko SNO SEAL Original Bees Wax Leather Snow Protector Waterproofer - 7 oz (200 g)
review image review image review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
I don't know about you, but I browsed messenger bags for months before I landed on this one for sure. I think i had looked at this one a few times before I finally chose to buy it. It wasn't my first choice, but between price and everything else; it was a winner for me.

I have the brown one, and it looks very nice. It was hard to not notice how impressive looking the leather makes this bag appear, and in every other way it shares the theme. People will look at this and think it's a well made, expensive bag.

I have personally not had any issues with any oil rubbing off on my clothing, at least not that I've noticed. I saw another review or two that did, so I wanted to mention that.

I know the dimensions were listed, but for me it's kind of difficult to envision the size of a bag on me based on numbers. I knew it wasn't going to be gigantic, but I find it somewhat small. It does look a little like a man purse, but not overly so. When it's full it does hold more to the messenger bag look. i am 6'1" however so being a above average sized male that does play a role in the relative concept in regards to the bag size vs me. If you are smaller than I am, you would have less of an issue with this bag size.

The only other thing i didn't realize based on the product page that i discovered was that the bag does not zip closed. Every other messenger bag I've owned has had this. The top flap goes over the opening, and thats about it. It seems to work well enough as it has magnetic buttons on the inside of the flap to keep it down, but i dunno, it just seems to annoy me slightly. It's by no means a deal broker for myself, but you should know what you're getting.

Overall though I like it quite a bit. It holds my ultrabook in a padded case, along with two portfolio's which include notebooks, or one and a moderate sized book. Everything is sown superbly and looks great. You can tell it is of higher quality than a lot of other bags out there.

If you don't mind something on the slightly smaller side you would probably like this bag, i know i do.
on July 17, 2012
Its okay, the rubber part of the strap began cracking after 2 months of use, I expect it will fall off in another few months. The oiled leather rubs off on light colored clothing, I have dark stains on the shoulder and back of my shirts and pants! They don't really wash off well either. I'm not sure I'd get an oiled leather bag again.
on July 23, 2013
It is embarrassing to read how many people got fooled and praise the quality of the 'real leather' they assume the bag is made of: this is bonded leather, no doubt! The manufacturers got pretty good lately at making it look quite convincing and also at describing it in such way that it won't leave them legally liable: since the bonded leather is made of left overs and pieces of real leather (sometimes tiny leather dust only) it technically can be called real leather! What they would not call it is 'genuine leather' as this implies the traditional understanding of the material: whole pieces of leather and this is NOT what this bag is made from! Check out these two links and find out more about the material the Visconti bags are made of:

[...]
[...]

The tag inside the bag cleverly states 'real leather' - note the difference from 'genuine leather'! Not sure what the percentage of real leather in this material is - could be very low and the rest is the synthetic bonding material...
Got the bag today, realised that the material description is misleading, also did not like the fact that it was over-oiled to give it a false impression of aged & distressed leather (if it was genuine leather it would not need so much oily camouflage). Left it on a light fabric for some time to test the impact - it stained it. There is a warning indeed regarding this on the tag but I don't want to buy another bag for lighter clothes and keep this one for dark ones only. For the above two reasonsI am sending it back tomorrow - it is just made to look seemingly classy and genuine but it is not...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2012
I gave a 3 star for overall good quality but with issue.

Good looking bag, nice packaging like a high-end product should be. Leather is soft and of good quality. BUT the oil finishing coating does rub off...I rubbed the surface with a white tissue to see if the color rubs off after I saw another review addressing this issue - IT DOES! So beware if you wear this on light clothing, as it will stain your clothing if you wear it frequent. I ordered the black one, so I can not speak for other color if they rub off or not. Bottom line, if you wear jeans or dark color clothing, you're probably OK, but you might have an issue if you wear light color clothing. Not sure if the stained on the clothing can be washed off either.
on July 20, 2013
Don't buy this bag until you check out the 18760 Austin. I have purchased both and the Austin Is almost exactly the same bag, ALMOST. It has a cutout in the flap on the top for a top handle, which I use ALL THE TIME moving the bag from the trunk, back seat, under the table, etc.. You get the idea. It has pen loops, Harvard does not. It also zips closed under the flap, the zipper could go further down the sides, it stops about 2" down, but it doesn't seem to hinder packing and unpacking. It is slightly larger, heavier and holds less, BUT that's because of the extra zipper and better padding. If you don't prefer the top handle, and like the clean look, want more space in a smaller bag go for the Harvard, otherwise don't miss out on this other great bag - I wanted to point this out because at the time of this review, the Harvard had 50 reviews to the Austin's 5. Use the Amazon description: "Visconti Stylish Quality 18760 Messenger Bag / Computer Laptop Handbag / Leather Bag" to find the Austin, same maker "Visconti", same retailer "Kingsleather" so you know it's about the bag, and nothing else :)
on January 10, 2013
I have a 15" Macbook Pro and it fits perfectly. It even hold the stand/fan I use with it. There are lost of different size pockets for everything I need to carry. And I like that it stands up when I put it down. It would be nice if it had two or three pen/pencil holders. The only thing I don't like is the position of the shoulder pad. I'm short and the buckle is too big to move the pad, so it doesn't rest on my shoulder.
on January 25, 2014
I love this bag and have been a happy owner of the Tan colored bag for a few months now. The leather, snap-on buttons, zips, and finish are of high-quality and look beautiful. I am an obsessive compulsive perfectionist (OCP) when it comes to purchasing everyday use items, especially those you wear all the time, so my satisfaction with this bag is high praise. Below are the pros, cons, and tips.

Pros
+ High-quality and beautiful leather, snap-on buttons, zips, and stitching.

+ I got a compliment within five minutes. I had just walked down from my hotel room to the registration desk of a conference and felt rather pleased.

+ On colors: Tan it is. Black was boring to me. Espresso was promising, but the color is too dark and has a glossy finish unlike the oil finish. Oil Brown seemed perfect on paper, but the actual color is almost black like a rubber tire. I was skeptical about Oil Tan at first coz it seemed too hipster to me, but the real product somehow looks nicer than the pictures here.

+ My 13" Macbook Air fits perfectly. Actually, the first few times, I had to carefully guide it in or pull it out with both hands as the fit seemed too snug. I did want a snug fit, but not one that translated to extra effort each time I took it out or put it back in coz that would just cause severe psychological trauma to my OCP self. Delightfully though, the bag magically opens up just enough in about a day of use, so I can carelessly slip it in or take it out now. The snug fit prevents the laptop from tossing around while in the bag and helps preserve my sanity.

+ There are several zipped and unzipped compartments. I hardly need more than a couple compartments, but it is so nice to know that I could be more organized if needed.

+ The snap-on buttons stay snapped on.

Cons
- The snap-on buttons need a slight amount of guidance to "click". I've learned to do it with one hand, e.g., when I need to take out something from my bag while driving and close it back (coz the open bag on the passenger seat would drive me crazy). But snapping them on is a piece of cake for any two-armed creature with opposable thumbs.

- There is a black rubber base for the shoulder pad on the strap that is not visible in the pictures. I feel like the rubber will wear out sooner than the rest of the leather, and the black rubber aesthetically makes no sense at all. But it is not visible while carrying it, so the psychological impact is no more than say not wearing your A-game underwear inside. Heck, I've even begun to appreciate the color contrast when it is casually lying exposed on the table or car seat. You end up loving your dear ones over time, flaws, imperfections, and all, I suppose.

- The oil color leak that other reviews mentioned was not a problem for me. The first time I took it out at a hotel, I used a hotel napkin to vigorously rub the bag all over. It gave out a good bit of brown to the freshly laundered spotless white napkin. But that seems to have fixed the problem. I also usually wear dark pants and don't wear a white shirt. I am pretty sure it won't leak even on a white shirt after a couple months of use, but I haven't tried it. The bottomline is there is some leak---think of it as a cost for the pretty oil leather look---but it doesn't bother me. And that's saying a lot given how crazy obsessive I am as you must have realized if you read till here.

- The runner-up during my purchase was another Visconti bag at
Admittedly, this other bag had more character as it had a stylish zip on the front. But it is slightly fatter, heavier, and the sides and bottom stick out as opposed to folding in. So it did not look as nice to me when I carried it with a laptop inside it as the weight of the laptop slightly distorts the shape of the bag and makes it look bigger. I am listing this point in "Cons" coz the small front zip on the other bag indeed looks more stylish and would have looked nicer on this bag instead of the flat front.
on August 4, 2014
I've been checking out messenger bags for a while, and keep coming back to the Visconti products. They're highly rated for a reason. There's nothing I've found that compares to the quality, design, and price. But I was concerned about the comments about the leather oil/dye transferring to clothing. So I went to the Visconti website to see if they provide care instructions. The following leather care information from Visconti Leather website supports the information provided by reviewer K. Gragert about finishing the leather before using the bag.
"As with all leather goods a little maintenance will ensure a longer lasting and more durable product. There are four stages in leather care that will apply to all leather goods and will help the messenger bag to remain supple. Care should include; cleaning, conditioning and polishing. To keep leather soft, apply treatments and protectors when they are brand new and every month afterwards. It is important to work the leather in a well-ventilated area as some leather products can be very strong and can cause irritation."
If you buy these bags from a store, a knowledgeable sales person would provide this information and make recommendations on the leather care products to use. I have to give the product a rating of four stars because the care information isn't provided on Amazon. I plan to take the bag to a leather shop for some finishing advice before using it, and think it will be worth the effort to get the most satisfaction from the purchase. Just wanted to share what I found out, and hope this information makes a difference.
on July 9, 2013
-Design-
The bag is very high quality. The front panel is made of one piece of very nice leather, and the entire bag is leather except the strap backing and the lining. The stitching is excellent. The brass accents are tastefully dull and aesthetically pleasing without being overbearing. The strap is very nicely done, giving the appearance of a full leather strap, but retaining the strength of nylon. The strap is also a good length: I stand 71" but do require almost the full length of the strap in order to rest the bag on my hip. I would guess a person up to 74" would be comfortable with the strap length. The Visconti branded black nylon lining is subtle and tasteful. The bag is reasonably light.

-Functionality-
The magnetic clasps on the front cover hold nicely as long as the bag is not overstuffed. They sometimes require some guidance, but generally closing the bag is no-fuss and the clasps do "snap" shut if positioned correctly.

The compartment design is extremely well done. Many of the bags I looked at suffered from "feature clutter" in the form of extraneous compartments. This bag achieves great functionality without going overboard. There is a large zipped pocket on the rear of the bag, one on the front of the bag beneath the cover panel, and a smaller one on the interior of the bag. There are two smartphone sized pockets on the interior, and also a large non-zipped pocket beneath the front cover panel. The front non-zipped pocket is large enough to hold a file folder. One minor flaw is that the zipper-pocket on the bag interior has a tendency to catch on things as I place them in the bag. I would have preferred the zipper be recessed or removed altogether.

As a student and occasional intern, I wanted to be able to hold my Surface Pro computer, and at least one if not two textbooks. The interior of the bag is big enough to hold a small laptop (my HP Envy 14" fits snugly) and one textbook. Two textbooks require some struggling and that the front flap remain unclasped (For certain thick books or with a large laptop, two textbooks will not fit.) During the Summer I am able to comfortably fit my laptop and anything I am working on.

-Durability-
I've had the bag for about 6 months, and the leather has retained its great looks. The front panel and strap have softened up nicely. The brass accents have taken some scratches but in my opinion it only increases the natural good looks of this bag. Overall the bag has become better looking as it has aged. Judging from how it's held up so far, I would expect this bag to last for a dozen years or more.

-Miscellaneous-
For me, this was the perfect bag. I specifically wanted a relatively small bag that did not look like a laptop bag. I purchased about 4 bags from Amazon before deciding on this one. Most of the bags were entirely too large for my purposes. I also bought the oiled brown leather, but I ultimately felt the Harvard brown had a more professional appearance. Also, the Amazon photos make it look very shiny, but it is not as shiny as the pictures look.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations