5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this grill

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service
Published 16 months ago by Grillbum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this grill, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking Area on 2-tier 304 Ss Flip Cooking Grates. Includes Heavy Duty Vinyl Cover
I purchased this on season close out at my local Costco for $399 about a month ago. It really does compare to the Big Green Egg (BGE) and Primo grills for performance. It's about the size of a large BGE and can use some of the same accessories. I wasn't really considering BGE or Primo because they weren't in the budget. However, I almost bought a dedicated smoker instead, but I'm glad I didn't. I just couldn't see paying $200 to $400 for a metal box when I could have this. I'm hoping this is a buy it for life item, but only time will tell.

So far I've been mostly impressed with the construction. The head snapped off one bolt during assembly, which gives me some pause, but I was using a socket wrench, so I might have over-tightened it some. Otherwise everything is solid. The shelves are very nice and it comes with two tiered rack and cover. It has a huge firebox, so you shouldn't really load it to the top like you do with other kamados. Ideally you'd even put your deflector plate within the fire box. To do this, I purchased a spider along with a 16" wok from ceramic grill store dot com, and a 14" round 1" thick deflector plate (aka pizza stone) here Old Stone 4461 14-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone. The spider will hold the heat deflector or the wok. The heat deflector allows us to do slow indirect cooking. You can't really smoke or BBQ without it. We checked for air leakage while smoking and found none. In fact, we accidentally snuffed out the fire once when we didn't mean to by closing it up too much. Despite our beginner mistakes, learning to control the heat was easy, and everything we cooked turned out great.

The first thing we made was ribs. They were some of the best ribs I've ever had, and I grew up in Texas. We've also roasted chicken, cooked pork loin roast, grilled shish-kabobs of shrimp and veggies, and made stir fry in the wok. My husband said that cooking on the grill is very fun and not significantly more work than the gas grill once you know what you are doing. I appreciate that I don't have as much mess in the kitchen to deal with. I have a young son and I'm glad that the bottom doesn't get as hot as some other grills ...ahem BGE ahem. I've checked while grilling and the bottom is just rather warm and not burning hot. I also love that it can handle both low and high temps very well. My Weber Q, which is still working after 10 years of regular use, is feeling lonely.

5.0 out of 5 stars check costco, September 10, 2012
I bought 2 of these grills - black, stainless steel stand, cover, pine shelves etc from costco a couple of weeks ago
They are great quality and cook better than my webers because the grill is about a foot above the charcoal and the air flow is much more controllable
better heat retention in the 180 pounds of clay may be the real cooking difference - though
I haven't been able to get over 500°F with briquets - for pizza - a test with dry hardwood went quickly over 700°F
I bought both of mine for well under $750 for both on an end of summer clearance markdown - check your local costco to see if any nearby costcos are still selling them
The costco online price is still $700 each incl shipping - it weighs 226# in the box
amazon has a similar price on the other model of this grill amazon sells for $900 here titled
--paste-search--[Vision Grills Pro Kamado Barbecue Bundle Grill by Vision]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, great company, Kamado cooking perfection!, September 15, 2013
Dirkdaddy "Dirkdaddy" (Pearland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Basically what others have also said, after cooking labor day weekend at a buddy's house on his Big Green Egg (ribs, chicken, burgers, pizza) I was sold on Kamado grilling/smoking. The airtight ceramic holds heat and is super efficient on fuel, this sort of thing has been around for like 2000 years so you could say it was a tested idea!

I compared his BGE grill, but lacked side shelves, stand, double tiered grate, cover this one has for much less money and bought one. The upper grate comes off if you are not using it. The lower grate actually has a flip-up section so you can add smoking wood w/o major issues lifting the whole grate and your food with it like the BGE.

To say I am impressed is an understatement. I am not one to gush on products and reviews, but this is really a great product. Its well packed except for the inner metal grill which should have been secured with foam, but it did not do any damage. Setup is easy, and they even supplied two wrenches needed - how's that for complete! They also shipped one extra of each nut and washer in case you drop one!

Assembly hint - Stainless steel is SOFTER than regular steel - go easy on the torque. Use the supplied tools not over-sized stuff.

Mine was marked at "PHASE 2" on a sticker on the back. I think means ver 2.0. I had seen one of these at Costco a year or so ago and it must have been ver 1.0, as shortcomings were addressed.

Differences:

The top vent on earlier ones was clipped on but felt a bit cheesy as it was not secured really well and did not have a seal around the top dome vent. This has changed - The new vent has a felt seal around exhaust that holds it super tight, and the vent itself now has a spring loaded tight feel. If it gets sticky use some soap and hot water, or possibly wd40.

The hinge seems to have been improved and holds the lid exactly in line. Earlier version seemed loose and cheap.

Bottom vent now has a rubber seal.

Bottom firebox insulator was added after some complaints about cracking in the bottom. This is a ceramic thin flat round plate thing that just keeps direct heat away from the bottom and is sized well to center inside the firebox.

My only regret is that I have buy a indirect cooking heat deflector. A stainless drop in metal spider is sold and many use a cast iron pot with handle cut off for deflector and / or drip pan. You can use the spider also to hold a Wok for kickin' stir fry.

** Use LUMP charcoal, not briquets. You can use some wood was well cut small.

Company website:
[...]

These cubes from Amazon are fast easy starters. You can also use electric, newspaper, but NOT FLUID. yuck!
Weber 3975 Firestarter Lighter Cubes

5.0 out of 5 stars Take your cooking to the next level., September 23, 2012
I have been grilling/smoking for years. I switched back to charcoal grilling after a few years down the propane path (I only use my propane for grilling hot dogs when we entertain kids who refuse to eat good food). I had built myself a quite nice smoker unit out of some barrel stock a few years ago. I have smoked tons of meat and cheese over the years, all the while staying up until all hours tending my pit, my uninsulated air leaky homemade pit.

A friend moved back into the area and had a large Green Egg. He was a fellow bbq'r and we started competing as it were every other weekend making delicious food for our families. I noticed instantly how well a Kamado held in the heat and could not believe his fuel usage....he could smoke for 12-14 hours straight on a nice fuel load (half a bag of lump hardwood). The only thing I could not come to terms with is the fact that with his setup he had sunk 2 grand into it. Thanks, but no thanks. As nice as it was I couldn't afford to drop that kind of bread on a hobby.

Fast forward a few months later, and I found this Vision grill at Costco on a season end sale for $375 (i mean the normal price is 549 and online they will ship it to you for 699) and let me tell you this was worth it. The grill came fully assembled, all i had to do was assemble the wheeled cradle. Nice quality sideboards that fold down and even came with a VERY high quality custom tailored and embroidered cover.

I can control my temperature down to 220 degrees (smoked some AMAZING pork shoulder on Friday night) and even cranked it up to 740 degrees. I made some fajitas and threw the cast iron plates over the hot coals so I could "sizzle" them just like the restaurants. The temperature can easily be set anywhere in between and be regulated there for hours. I put a half bag of hardwood lump fuel in at 6 p.m. and got them ready, and pulled the pork off at 9 a.m. the next day and still had fuel in the oven. I have NEVER had the luxury of setting my pit and walking away. Amazing. It even got down to 40 degrees overnight. You can't beat the insulation and control of this oven. Next weekend we will be baking bread in it. All for about a quarter of the Egg brand.

Buy this you won't be let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, April 2, 2013
I ordered this grill from costco and it is amazing. My first cook was a brisket and it held 250 for around 15 hours with no adjustments to the vents. The bottom vent did leak a little air at first but a little bit of sealant and it's perfect now. Even without the sealant it worked great just wasn't able to get below 250-270. I did beer can chickens today that were so moist and juicy you would not believe it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service, November 9, 2013
The food is fantastic as far as taste and quality but the customer service is horrible. It was a bargain, but now I know why. A poorly designed top vent gave out after only a little over a year. Covered under warranty but they can't seem to get a replacement. Very frustrating as I grill no less than four times a week year round. I have been unable to use my grill now for going on three months. Thankfully, I still have my old Weber as a backup!

Might be worth it to go with competitive models such as the Big Green Egg....

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you feel like a pro, March 11, 2013
I used to have a gas grill and no matter how many wood chips I used and how slow I cooked my meat it could never match up to this Kamado. The first time I used it I made the best tri-tip ever and same goes for chicken, ribs, and more. It's much more fun and actually easier in the long run as you learn to just dial in the temperature and walk away. My brother bought the high end webber gas grill and we are always competing who is best. His cost so much more and really it's only better at cooking a quick burger or something easy. Burgers on this grill actually taste better but he can start up his webber with less effort. I just start my coals on my camping stove and then dump them into my Kamado. I read up on everything and went over smokers, the bullet, gas grills etc... In the end I wanted a Green Egg or Primo but those were out of my price range. What made this stand out to me was the ability to cook well at different temperatures. Found this at costco and it was my best buy ever. It's a year old now with no signs of breakdown. At this rate I figure it will last for a very long time. If you want to have fun cooking and bust out flavorful BBQ on every try then this or something similar is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill, May 26, 2013
Bought one yesterday at Costco. I've had a Weber Performer for 10 years and needed to replace it. The only complaint I had about the Weber was how difficult it was to cook chicken on it. Cooked 4 pounds of wings on the Vision Kamado and my wife said they were the best she'd ever had. Succulent on the inside, with an incredibly delicate crispy skin. Started out at 350 degrees for a while, and then turned it up full blast at the end. I don't think you can do that on a Weber, as much as I have always liked Webers.

I loved the Weber Performer, but I couldn't control the heat the way I can on the Vision Kamado.

The setup was easy. My six-year-old and I spent a couple of hours tightening bolts, etc., and he really bought in.

Tomorrow's Memorial Day, and my six-year-old's birthday. Brisket, ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill - if you buy from Costco, July 28, 2013
They are on sale for $400. at Costco.

Got mine yesterday. Not as refined in some ways as the BGE but saving about $600. I will live with it.

Vision doesn't have much in the way of accessories - but if you go to: [...] they have an extensive list accessories for the Vision Grills.

Like the BGE the stuff ain't cheap but it is no worse the other brands & the grill saves a bundle of bucks.

UPDATE: 8/3/13

Lighting lump charcoal - for my first smoke of some ribs, I loaded the lump and some wood chunks (which I inserted at various depths & areas among the lump) then I inserted 2 Weber lighter cubes. I let it go with the top open for about 2 or 3 minutes the closed the top with the top vent at about 1/8 inch open. Turn on my PitMaster IQ110 controller within a few minutes the cooker was at 225F - I put the ribs in and about 3 hours later (which was probably about 15 minutes too long) I had falling off the bone ribs. Remember if they are falling of the bone - they are over cooked.

But the combination of this cooker and the PitMaster IQ make worry free setup. Now that I know how well these two work together I'm looking forward to my first overnight cook and being able to sleep through the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bargain, January 25, 2013
This grill is a fantastic bargain once you compare it to the competition. Of course, the most important factor is performance. I have grilled & smoked beef, pork, chicken & fish & all turned out great. My "stable" includes a go to Weber kettle, Kalamazoo dual fuel grill & assorted smokers & grills. The Vision does everything the others do & in some cases, better. Almost of equal importance to performance is customer support. I bought 2 grills, one of which I discovered had a crack in the outer shell. I contacted Vision Customer Services & had immediate response. My replacement shell was sent (no shipping charge) quickly & is now in service. Would I recommend this grill? YES! In fact, I have many times.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›