5.0 out of 5 stars Bleeding edge graphics
Published on September 28, 2002 by Derek G

1.0 out of 5 stars Good card, bad manufacturer
I've been having problems with this card for a long time. VisionTek's website is hideous. There is nearly no information available on the website. The tech support is relegated to either an email which goes unanswered or a tech support number which is only available when you're not near your computer.
If good support is important for you, then take a pass on this...
Published on January 26, 2003 by William J. O'connor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleeding edge graphics, September 28, 2002
This review is from: VisionTek GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR Memory Graphics Card (Personal Computers)
This card is the fastest currently out as I write this review. That said, ATI has already announced their newest product, the Radeon 9700, will beat the Ti4600 and it's shipping soon. I caution those reviewers who say otherwise, preliminary tests on the 9700 indicate very strong performance. Not to worry nVidia owners, their next generation chip, the NV30, is on the way. And so it goes... Meanwhile, you're probably wondering if you should spend the money for this card. Perhaps this will help:
I'm currently running a Geforce 2 Ultra on a 1gig AMD Thunderbird system with 256K SDRAM. By todays standards that's pretty weak and any new system sold is probably much faster. This card is the current best of the best, yet the price is pretty steep too. Here's how the different cards will improve my system performance:
6985 194% NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
4107 114% NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
3629 101% ATI Radeon 7500
3593 100% NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/Pro/Ti <----my current system
3347 93% NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Keep in mind that these scores are on my fairly dated 1gig processor. Those of you with faster chips will probably show an even greater improvement with the faster cards. Regardless, I can still run all the games currently out without problems. This includes the (current) high performance games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. Once the newest crop of shooters like Unreal Tournament 2, Unreal 2, and Doom III come out I'll probably need to upgrade (but I can hope.)
Looking at the numbers, I can get a 50% improvement by upgrading to a relatively inexpensive Geforce 3, an 80% improvement by upgrading to a Ti4200 or Ti4400, or a 94% improvement by buying this card. I'll probably put my ego in check and save 1/3 the price by getting the ti4200 or ti4400 card over this card. My gut is also telling me prices of the ti4600 are going to drop rapidly once ATI's 9700 hits the shelves, but of course that doesn't help you if you're looking for a card right now. One last thing, as the scores indicate, don't make the mistake of getting a Geforce 4 "MX" card.
Hope the review helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best of the best!, April 13, 2002
Dustin Sharp (NRH, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I got this card the day after it came out(one day shipping from Amazon). All I can say is...wow. I just upgraded from a Gateway 400mhz P2 processor with a Voodoo Banshee card, to my custom PC. I run this card with a P4 2.0 processor, 1GB of memory and this video card which was the final component. It runs games that made my old PC crash. Every game I have thrown at it runs perfectly. The graphics are better than any I have ever seen, it actually looks like those pictures on the game boxes! I never thought Half-Life could look so good.
Basically, if you have the dough to shell out, and you do alot of gaming and or video editing, there is no substitute. Not to mention they don't even make games yet that utilize it's full potential, so it will not be out of date for some time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, April 1, 2002
I'm sure you've seen all the numbers so I don't have to repeat that. I got mine over a week ago at a local retailer, and the box did not include the video in cable or one of the CDs, because of the rush to get the product to market. But, video in wasn't my motivation in getting this card. Performance was. It delivers just fine. My box isn't top of the line in other respects, but it can crank out some graphics now. So far nothing has been too much for the mighty GeForce4. Gameplay on Ghost Recon is much smoother now. The Sims doesn't leave The Trails all over the screen. If you have the cash and you want to give your friends with their geforce3 cards a hard time, I reccomend this card. If this isn't fast enough for you, you are just plain out of luck.
This card should have some endurance. The geforce2 is still "good enough" and most "serious gamers" are still buying geforce3 cards. I'm guessing six months to a year before this card becomes a requirement, and then a few more untill it's obsolete. It's a lot of dollars, but they will go a long way.

4.0 out of 5 stars The higher the resolution, the better it seems to perform!!, July 23, 2002
Thomas K. Liu (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
WOW, THIS CARD IS AWESOME. The specification of my computer was 1000 MHZ, 512MB RAM, and geforce 2 MX400. When Warcraft 3 beta was out, the highest resolution I could set to was 800 x 640 with all the details set to low, and the gameplay still lagged ALOT. My friend has a processor identical to mine(1000MHZ), only has 128 MB ram but he used a ATI geforce 2 and it seemed to outperform my system. The highest resolution he could play on his computer was 1028 and also with the details set to low.
After I upgraded my Geforce 2 to Visiontek's Geforce 4 Ti 4600, all I can say is, WOW!!! When I first installed the card and played Warcraft 3 in 800 x 600 mode, it was not as smooth as I expected, but my only thought at that time was, what the heck, lets give this card a try. I turned the resolution of the game to 1028 and with all the details set to high. Guess what happened, the gameplay WAS SOOOOO SMOOTH. So I pushed the resolution to the next stage, 1280, and the gameplay just got even BETTER. Then I pushed the resolution to the highest, which is 1600, AND THE GAMEPLAY WAS CRAZY, ALL DETAILS IN THE GAME FROM A UNIT TO A BUILDING TO THE ENVIRONMENT WERE SO BEAUTIFUL, NO LAGS AT ALL.
My 1000 MHZ, 512 MB ram, and GEforce 4 Ti4600 outperformed another friend of mine with 2000 MHZ, 1 Gig ram, Geforce 2, when it comes to games.
Each stage in Warcraft 3 was hard to achieve, it may seem easy because from 1028 to 1280 you may think there is not alot of difference. When I went back to the friend with 1000 MHZ and 128 MB ram with an ATI geforce2, his gameplay was smooth under 1028 mode, but when I pushed it a stage beyond, which was 1280, THE CURSOR DIDN'T EVEN MOVE AND THE UNITS RESPONDED TO ME AFTER A LONG LONG TIME. I was convinced that a slight change from 1028 to 1280 could challenge you computer to its limit, not to say that I not even changed to resolution to 1600 but also with all the details set to high. WOW THIS CARD IS REALLY AWESOME.
I can also play RED FACTION in the highest resolution, no lag, not at all, the higher the resolution you set, the faster you can expect the graphics, and the more power you can expect from your GEFORCE 4 TI 4600.
THIS CARD IS WEIRD, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHERE ITS POWER STARTS TO DECLINE. MAYBE I CAN SET THE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN 1600, WHICH I CANT BECAUSE MY MONITOR ONLY SUPPORTS TO 1600, GIVE IT A TRY GUYS, AND TELL ME IF ITS POWER WILL DECLINE WHEN IT REACHES BEYOND 1600.

5.0 out of 5 stars the fastest, the best, June 16, 2002
J. Feng (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is the absolute best video card available as of 6/16/02 for gaming. Even if you don't know much about hardware, I'll explain to you. What makes this so great is it is compatible with the newest upcoming games such as Unreal 2 and Doom III. It will be compatible with Direct X 9 and sports all the features it'll need for the future. This thing is so fast that you can enable 4x anti-aliasing and antroscopic filters while still having playable frame rate per second. Nothing is faster than this hot rod. VisionTek is also very respectable. This brand comes from the fastest of the fastest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Video Card, May 21, 2002
I-FAN CHOU (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
I first came into the market looking for a better video card for my Dell Dimension 8100 computer because the original nVIDIA TNT2 m64 video card that the system came with could not properly display the 3D screensavers of WindowsXP Plus!, and I have to say that this new nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB card is the best choice on the market if you are willing to spend a little extra. I used the MadOnion 3DMark2001 to test just how good the new card is and I couldn't believe the score. Compare to my old video card which only scored 905 points, this new card scored 7625 points, which is higher than any other video card out there, including the ATI Radeon 8500 128MB. Many of the industry's leading computer company use this test to test their systems and I am glad that finally my system is among the best due to my new video card. The installation couldn't be easier, I had the new card up and running in less than 5 min. Finally, this video card has features that even the best games out there can't yet fully utilize, so I won't be worried about my new card being out-dated anytime soon, so I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is AMAZING!!!!!, June 19, 2002
Well, I updated my computer from a TNT2 32mb video memory to the incredible Xtasy Geforce4 Ti 4600 with 128mb of video memory and my computer get crazy. I had never seen something like this. The graphics are perfect and all my games like Medal of Honor or Grand Theft Auto III with all the graphics options to the max, look perfect and I dont have to worry about how the game will run because it just looks and plays smooth. I love it. I can watch Tv on my computer with the Tv in/out option and even watch my games later. If you are looking for excellent graphics and a perfect video card this is the one for you!!\
P.D. Is better that you have at least 128mb of RAM to backup the gams and the necessary space to install the video card because it is really big. JeJE!!! It is just perfect!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is indeed, DA BOMB!, June 14, 2002
Mark Lahren (Bismarck, North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews
This is currently the cream of the crop, and Amazon's price is as low as I've ever seen it. I am currently the proud owner of the lesser Ti 4200 with 128 megs DDR ram, and if you're on a budget or have less than a 1.5 ghz PC, I'd recommend going with the 4200. But if you've got a 2 ghz. racehorse and want nothing but the best for it, the Ti 4600 is the only way to go. NVidia's Detonator drivers are extremely easy to update with a self-installing single download utility, and they're great about keeping their drivers fresh. Just bookmark their page and update periodically. Every game I've tried has worked with NVidia's drivers. Also, installation is a snap. And mainly, you'll find the results to be DRAMATIC!

4.0 out of 5 stars Card is excellent but there are other 3rd party manufacturer, September 26, 2002
jon (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I recommend this 4600 beacause it is the best of the best. The newest card on the market is the 9700 Radeon but it has motherboard compatability issues that Radeon conveniently blames on motherboard manufacturers. This issue is due to the new AGP 8x that radeon is having trouble with.
Stick with NVidia as they are the tried and true product for high quality graphics. I do recommed getting the 4600 128MB DDR from LeadTek, Gainward, or MSI. These three 3rd party maufacturers come with better heatsinks on the card to prevent this monster graphics card from overheating too much. They are also in my opinion are the best 3rd party maufacutrers of Nvidia-based card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Card, May 12, 2002
Visiontek makes some of the greatest video cards in the computer world and the Geforce 4 ti 4600 is the fastest and most powerful video card on the market today.
However, because of it's steep price i only suggest this to hardcore computer gamers who have to have the fastest computer on the block. i strongly suggest to other buyers buy the Geforce 4 ti 4400 which is slightly slower but cheaper.
also, Beware of the fact that this video card is very long and WILL NOT FIT ON SOME MOTHERBOARDS. you should make sure that the card will fit by making sure that there is nothing behind you PCI slots (cables, DIM slots, ect...) that could prevent the card from going into the PCI slot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›