From the Back Cover
"Given .NET induces a sea of change, C++ provides a rock-solid vessel to stand upon and with this book, Tom is your captain."
-Michael Lane Thomas, .NET Series Editor
* Master database programming techniques including ODBC, DAO, and ADO
* Harness the power of COM, ATL, COM+, and ATL Server
* Jump right into writing your first MFC application
If Visual C++ .NET can do it, you can do it too . . .
With greater MFC-ATL integration, and a new Web services class, Visual C++ is better than ever in its .NET release - the development environment of choice if you want to combine the control and performance of C++ with built-in support for Windows and the .NET Framework. This comprehensive guide by Visual Studio guru Tom Archer shows you how to make the most of Visual C++ .NET, whether you're new to Windows development or an old hand looking for tips on the latest tools and techniques. From user interface and dialog basics to ATL Server, Web services, and managed code, it's all you need to get up to speed and get the job done.
Inside, you'll find complete coverage of Visual C++ .NET
* Get a MFC programming crash course in UI basics, from menus to GDI to dialogs
* Master multithreading, Internet programming, and other advanced MFC techniques
* Delve into ODBC, ADO, database attributes, XML and other data I/O issues
* Get the scoop on COM and ATL-from components and eventing to ATL
* Build XML Web services using the new ATL Server class
* Harness the power of COM+
* Discover the secrets of writing managed code
About the Author
Tom Archer has over a decade worth of experience programming in several operating systems as well as with a multitude of languages. He has worked on the development of two successful software products, IBM/World Book's Multimedia Encyclopedia and Peachtree Software's Office Accounting. Tom writes books as well as being a senior level Windows NT/ VC++ consultant.
Andrew Whitechapel has spent 20 years in the software industry, over 12 of them using C++ at all levels, from embedded systems through to n-tier distributed enterprise solutions. He has spent most of the last decade working with the Windows platform, the MFC and ATL, and the suite of Visual Studio tools to produce advanced systems across a range of industry sectors. He firmly believes that .NET will revolutionize the way we design and write software.
In the unmanaged world, Andrew plays rugby for Battersea Ironsides rugby club in London- the best club in the world.