Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on February 3, 2008
This book allowed me to quickly create some simple applications using the processing API. So, in that respect, the book was successful. However, the book falls short in three respects.

1) One would expect a book with the title "Visualizing Data" to be crammed with pictures showing many different data visualizations. However, this book has relatively few. Every colleague of mine who passed by my desk and picked up the book had the exact same reaction.

2) The processing language is touted as a means for people unfamiliar with programming to get up to speed with visualization. However, I would be very surprised if anyone with little programming experience would get much out of this book.

3) Don't expect to use this book as a reference for the processing language. It is basically just a collection of half explained examples. Consider for example the function smooth(). This function appears in almost every example but forget about trying to find an explanation of what the function does in the book.

The book is probably worth buying to get up to speed quickly but plan on spending a significant amount of time sifting through the processing.org website and other online resources before being able to get anything non-trivial done. And if you don't already know Java then don't expect to accomplish anything even modestly complex without a lot of outside help.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2008
Processing looks like a very powerful tool and this book serves as a good introduction to both programming and computer visuals. It's nicely paced but if you are a professional software engineer looking to harness processing you will find yourself skimming the whole book in search for advanced material.

In particular the use of java for a whole lot of tasks including text parsing and data mining leads to very tedious and verbose code where a few lines of perl or awk would have done the job.

Overall this is a good book if you are somewhat new to programming. Else this will make for too short a read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2009
If you are looking at getting into the processing programming language, this book is tops. If you are looking to learn more about how to generally visualize data (types, best practice, etc) then this book may not be it.

I bought the book after reading the first chapter at Adobe MAX 2008 and then just ordered it from Amazon. To my surprise (both good and a little disappointing) the book was truly about the processing programming language.

Overall the book is very well written and I got to dabble a little in the coding to create some of the visuals. Once I figure out the things on my plate (work and personal) I will probably come back and try to see if processing is right for me and my projects.
on February 4, 2011
The book is focused more on teaching processing than on visualization techniques and algorithms. I bought the book thinking that the emphasis will be on visualization examples but the book's main emphasis is on teaching how to program in processing. It is a very good book for learning the basics of processing but not good for someone looking to learn about techniques for presenting data visually.
on September 21, 2008
This book may not be the ultimate reference for vualizing data, but it does give the reader a complete set of tools to start with; the theory on how to get the data in the first place, information on how graphs are built and read, and a programming tool to actually create the graphs with.

It does contain many sourcecodes which may seem pointless as you can just pcik them off the web, but being able to read the code while reading on the train is quite nice :-)

it could do with more different graphs, but then again I'd rather get a complete explenation about a few graphs so I understand them completely, than a quick runthrough of many graphs and ending up not knowing much about any of them.

Your milage may vary depending on your level of experience, but I'd recommend this book to relatively experienced programmers who need to get started with graphing data.