VitaClay VF7900 Rice/Slow Cooker as a food steamer? I am interested in the VitaClay rice cooker/slow cooker, but I have a question that is not answered in any product details I've seen. Can the VitaClay rice cooker be used for steaming vegetables/meats?

Most rice cookers do, but most rice cookers don't double as slow cookers, and most do not have clay pots. For all I know perhaps the steam damages/cracks the prized untreated clay.

I figure the manual would mention this in the do's/don'ts section, but I cannot find a manual online. Any help is appreciated.
asked by isosaf on May 11, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
Have you gotten any answers to your question? I am also curious if you can steam vegetables or frozen dumplings in the VitaClay unit. Perhaps you just need to add a stainless steel steamer basket inside on the bottom and go from there? For that reason, I would like to know exactly how big the clay pot is- what is the diameter? If I place a standard steamer basket in there, How much room would be left over? Finally, can I program it to run for the few minutes needed to steam vegetables? Or is it set to specific increments?
John Benson answered on November 15, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, I never received a response. I chose to buy the rice/pasta cooker (and steamer) by Aroma. I am very happy with it.

I don't recall if the VitaClay manufacturer's website had the specs you are looking for, but that's where I'd start.

Good luck...
isosaf answered on November 16, 2008
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have this cooker in the 6 cup and my mom has the 8 cup, so i can measure the diameters for each:

6 cup: about 6.5 inches across inside (it does slope a little bit, but i measured towards the bottom)
8 cup: about 7.5 inches across inside
W. Wu answered on June 11, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It does say in the manual (last page I think) that you have to purchase a separate steamer bowl to steal veggies.

Page 12 "1. To steam veggies or fish, place 2 to 4 cups of water in VitaClay, then place veggies inside a steam tray or bowl; press "Slow cooking" key, followed by pressing "minute" key for 30 minutes, continue pressing "Hour" key until "0" hour, press "Start/Cancel" key to start steam. "
Samantha K. answered on May 15, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product