5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB PRODUCT!!!
The real reason I have nothing negative to write about this Rice and Slow Cooker is because I had no expectations that it would be the same as the other non-stick surface rice cookers and slow cookers.

Published on January 29, 2012 by S. Fernandez

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but not worth the cost.
Published on April 19, 2010 by Emily Dickenson

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB PRODUCT!!!, January 29, 2012
S. Fernandez (Fort Lauderdale, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VitaClay VF7700-6 Chef Gourmet 6-Cup Rice and Slow Cooker (Kitchen)

I expected it to - be different - cook differently - and I expected it to - contribute to my general health. IT HAS NOT DISAPPOINTED ME! I use it daily. I have cooked brown rice, white rice, wild rice mix, oatmeal, beef stew, lamb stew, chicken fricassee, split pea soup, lentil soup, black beans, ....... the list is just too long.

I am COMPLETELY SATISFIED with this ceramic cooker. It is true that there is a small amount of rice that always sticks to the bottom of the pot. The reason for this is that I wanted to get rid of the poisonous non-stick surface on my previous rice cooker. This does not bother me. It is a very small amount of rice and it does not represent a large waste of food nor a large amount of money. My estimate is that it represents about $5.00 a year if you cook rice almost every day as I do. I am oh-so-very pleased to be rid of the teflon coated rice cooker. It's sitting in my Goodwill Industries take-away box.

If you are wondering... do I buy it? Do I not buy it? The answer lies within your expectations. Do you want to be healthy? This is not a non-stick surface! Yes... the rice WILL stick a bit only on the bottom. I soak it for 30 minutes and the rice comes right off. I handle the pot and the top with GREAT CARE. I follow the instructions that came with the manual. No extreme changes in temperature. You can't take the ceramic pot out right after cooking and pour cold water in it. If you think you might be banging the pot and top - don't buy it... you will break it. It is not your old metal rice cooker. It is ceramic. It is somewhat fragile as all ceramic pots are. Do you want delicious food? Buy it. Do you want beef, lamb and chicken that you can cut with a fork it is so tender and juicy? Buy it. Do you want enhanced flavor in recipes you have been cooking for years? Buy it.

The product, the packing and the shipping were Amazon's usual EXCELLENT. I had it at my door 2 days after buying and it was packed extremely well.

I DO HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COOKER to anyone that genuinely cares about their health and that is willing to be realistic in accepting that they are purchasing something different than what they are accustomed to. You will fall in love with it and use it many many times as I do!

UPDATE: June 29, 2012
Still 100% pleased with this purchase. I use it almost every day. Today I put some navy beans, water, carrots, potato, onion, garlic, swiss chard and lamb in my pot... pressed soup and went out with family. When I got back I had an excellent Tuscan Navy Bean Soup waiting for me. My apartment smelled DEELICIOUS!!!! I love this pot. I've cooked about 20 different types of rice in it and the more I use it the more I value it and am so glad I took the risk and bought it.

UPDATE: May 16, 2012
Still 100% pleased with this purchase and use it almost every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Rice, September 18, 2009
Works well with white or brown rice. My favorite use is for oatmeal,
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup mixed grains(flax seed, quinoa, millet, barley, wheatberries, rye,
lentils, split peas)
2 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon spice, cinammon, ginger, turmeric, etc
cook on brown rice setting
top w/ frozen blue berries when done cooking, or raisins, or dried apricots
mix w/ 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil, 1 tablespoon mollasses

2 whopping servings of flavor,texture,fiber, iron.

Just don't drop the lid it will break,

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but not worth the cost., April 19, 2010
I was very excited to receive this in the mail after only two days, thanks go to Amazon. My Fiance and I had been looking for a non-cancerous rice cooker as the teflon coated one we had was chipping outrageously. I was looking for something that would not burn the rice onto the bottom as I had read the stainless steel rice cookers had the tendency to do. I found this along with a few mixed reviews and decided to call the company themselves for answers to my questions. The woman on the phone was very nice and reassured me that the cooker had no teflon (multiple copies of the same review with that accusation were all over while researching) and although it would take about 10 min longer than our old cooker AND was a slow cooker combo, I decided to go for it.
It's ok. It cooks rice well, but if you leave the rice in there for more than 20 minutes on warm expect rice to burn onto the bottom. Brown Rice burns more easily. We tried cooking it with more water, adding water to it after it was cooked to resolve the burning issue, but to no avail. We now cook the rice, trun the cooker off, and then remove it from the cooker and place it in the refrigerator. This is very disappointing because the main reason we loved rice cookers in the first place was that you could leave rice in the cooker for lunch and dinner and have fresh tasting steamed rice. Now we have to microwave whatever is left over. Also, there is a warning about leaving liquid in the cooker for too long. "If liquids have been soaking in the clay pot for a long time, a leak could occure. Use a dry towel to dry the outside surface of the inner clay pot." A little iffy when trying to make a stew, right?
Overall it does the job of cooking the rice adequately and is teflon/cancer free, but for all of the other advantages of having a rice cooker, i.e. leaving it on "warm" for a few hours, easy clean up, etc, it is not worth the money. I would suggest a ceramic rice cooker if you can find one at a comparable price. Good Luck!

2.0 out of 5 stars unit works good, clay pot cracks easy, no customer support, February 14, 2012
When I read the reviews to this unit, I noticed the big complaint was that the clay pot had a tendency to crack or break. The company says you have to be careful with it when washing it, and not to allow severe temperature changes. Otherwise, everyone said that it cooked rice and other foods really good. It does cook good, but it has a tendency to burn the food at the bottom of the pot no matter what setting you use. Anyway, I figured I would really baby the pot when cleaning, etc. and treat it with kid gloves, but low and behold, I end up with a crack it the bottom of the pot after only four months of use. I have contacted the company by e-mail and voicemail and they do not respond. I wanted to like this unit, but I have no intentions of purchasing a new pot every couple months in order to use this cooker. They need to perfect the clay in the pot, upgrade the heating element design, and get some customer service, until then, I can't, with a good conscience, recommend this unit to anyone. Unless there is another company making clay pots, stick with a stainless steel unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars vitaclay cooker, January 18, 2009
I love this rice cooker so much that I bought it for several family members for Christmas. I would suggest the 8-cup for families as the 6-cup can be a bit too small for stews and slow-cooking. It is so great to not have to worry about the non-stick coating found on almost all other rice cookers. Clean up is super easy...if stuff gets stuck to it, let it soak with water and it's easy to get clean. I LOVE it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rice and effortless stews from the cheapest ingredients - clay is great!, February 17, 2009
I received this product as a gift and I love it! Stews are effortless. Just cut up some veggies and meat, add stock and press "stew". In four hours it's perfect. This machine turns really tough inexpensive cuts of meat into tender stews and soups.

The rice cooks much better than in the cheaper rice cooker I have. No "crunchy" rice at the bottom of the pot.

There's something about the clay cooking which cooks the food more evenly. It is also very easy to clean. There are many other features this cooker has which I haven't explored yet (the product comes with a recipe book), but even if it just made rice and stew I'd say it was an excellent buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker is too hot and fast, March 1, 2010
Don't get me wrong. I am happy with this product in some respects, but unless you use only the recipes in the book that comes along with the Vitaclay, you'll have to make some major adjustment to the slow cooking time you'd use in a traditional crock pot. I thought I could throw out my old bulky crock pot only to find that I needed to pull it out of the yard sale pile to test the temperature difference between it and the Vitaclay preset temperatures. I will not be using it for slow overnight cooking because it overcooks all the regular crock pot recipes I have. My husband recommends (I haven't tried yet) starting the meal in the Vitaclay, then removing the clay pot and placing it in the oven at a low temperature for the true low, slow temperature cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most flavorful dishes ever!, January 26, 2012
The icky Teflon coated pots in many of the other rice cookers don't last very long and are very difficult to replace. - Maybe the manufacturer hopes we'll give up and blow another hundred bucks on a new cooker? On principle I start shopping around for alternatives. My sniffing around the web brought me to the VitaClay. The hokey name put me off, I admit, as did concerns about clean-up and durability. Finally I broke down and got one. When it arrive I found a booklet full of soup recipes. Instead of trying it out first for a pot of rice I went for one of the soups. WOW - more flavor than I get in a pressure cooker! Everything we cook has so much flavor. This thing turns your food in to art for the taste buds! The clean-up? - that turns out to be a breeze too.

The only problem I have with the VitaClay is the lid to the inner clay pot. The knob is hot, of course, and too flush to the lid to grab with a pot holder. I think it would be really great if the makers included a tool for picking up the lid. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars An inferior product, December 3, 2011
The reason to buy this product is because the inner pot is made out with natural clay, however the rice cooker has a major flaw. It stops getting hot (does not cook) after three or four month of use. I bought another model from the same manufacture and it had the same problem. By that time Amazon's 30 day warranty is over and the manufacture's warranty does not warrant anything despite it claims their warranty is one year. I have not had any luck with them. If any reviewers know a good electric ceramic rice cooker, please make your referral here because we want to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars great intentions, July 17, 2013
I used this once and had a great experience. I pulled it out of the cabinet--it's been four months, and opened it up. There was black mold inside the clay pot, and white mold on the heating pad that sits under it. I cleaned this after that first run and sat it on the drying rack to dry. This is a great product but requires so much babying--I'd read that folks break the lid handle all the time. I hadn't read about moisture retention when putting it away. It makes sense, it's clay. But aye. I'm reluctant to use a product that grew black mold because it's porous, which means that even if I were to clean it off the surface, there's nothing to say it isn't inside the clay itself. I'm so disappointed. I wanted a slow cooker that I knew wouldn't have lead. No lead here. But didn't expect the mold.