Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: Pack of 1|Change

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is made naturally in the body, but it decreases gradually as we age, and its production is blocked by certain medications, most notoriously by statins (more on that below).

CoQ10 is essential to the cellular process that generates adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is the body's most basic source of energy. Adequate production of ATP is crucial to every cell in the body, but is especially vital to heart-muscle cells because they never rest.

CoQ10 is also a powerful antioxidant. All antioxidants fight free radicals, which damage the membranes and DNA of cells, often to the extent of causing early cell death. Scientists believe free radicals contribute to the aging process as well as a number of health problems, including heart disease and cancer.

Because CoQ10 is such a powerful antioxidant as well as increasing cellular energy, it has been long touted by alternative/holistic doctors as offering powerful protection and healing to a damaged heart. In contrast, in a rather tragic irony of mainstream medicine, statin drugs, which are routinely prescribed to millions of people every day to prevent heart disease by lowering cholesterol (and are the number one moneymaker for Big Pharma), have been found to lower the body's levels of CoQ10. This can, in and of itself, lead to a heart attack via the condition called "heart failure" (HF). HF is connected to two main issues related to CoQ10: (1) CoQ10 is crucial, as mentioned above, for energy production at the cellular level, and is most crucially needed in muscle tissue. The heart is made up of muscle tissue, whose energy demands are the highest in the body, and lowering those levels compromises the heart. (2) Statins worsen left ventricular diastolic function, which can lead to HF, and this has also been linked to the lowering of CoQ10 levels, because CoQ10 supplementation reverses this side effect.

In addition, as the body's CoQ10 levels go down, many additional nasty side effects of statins increase, including: nausea, diarrhea, increased blood sugar (sometimes to the point of creating type 2 diabetes), and muscle pain, up to and including rhabdomyolysis, a serious condition in which muscle cells collapse, releasing a muscle protein into the bloodstream that can cause liver and kidney damage.

For all of the above reasons, patients who are willing to suffer the major health risks of taking statins are recommended to supplement with CoQ10.

There is something of a controversy as to which form of this vital nutraceutical is best, ubiquinone or ubiquinol. This supplement offers ubiquinone. Since there have been extravagant claims in the marketplace for some time now that ubiquinol is hugely better than ubiquinone, CoQ10 in that form is, naturally enough, sold at hugely higher prices than ubiquinone. According to my own recent research on the subject, however, these big claims and big price tags are not actually merited. This is what I learned:

CoQ10 exists in two forms in the body, ubiquinone and ubiquinol. When the body utilizes ubiquinone, in the process it transforms the ubiquinone into ubiquinol. Conversely, when the body processes ubiquinol, it converts it into ubiquinone. Both forms of CoQ10 are important for the body, and the body doesn't care which form you give it, because it can alter each form into the other, as needed.

My conclusion as a consumer based on this information is the following: I feel free to save a lot of money by purchasing CoQ10 in the form of ubiquinone.

Besides this particular supplement, I have been gradually switching brands to VitaFusion's entire line of gummy vitamins and nutraceuticals for the primary reason that I have a difficult time swallowing pills, even tiny ones, without choking. This delicious, peach-flavored CoQ10 is my latest acquisition. Unlike other brands of gummy vitamins, there is no hydrogenated fat in this supplement, it utlizes the safe preservatives citric acid and lactic acid, and it contains no high fructose corn syrup. Admittedly, the alternative sweeteners that VitaFusion employs, glucose syrup and sucrose (white sugar), are certainly not health foods, but they are far less harmful than HFCS or artificial sweeteners. Ideally, in my personal opinion, this company would use stevia, but meanwhile, two daily gummies does not add a great deal of sugar to the diet, only 3 grams.

The only somewhat questionable ingredient is "natural flavor" (see below). If I could find a gummy without that, it would be great. In the meantime, this gummy works for me.

Finally, nutraceuticals which raise the levels of ATP in the body have also been found to heal neuropathy. There are additional supplements which aid in this process which I have covered in my review of Benfotiamine, the most bioavailable form of vitamin B1 AKA thiamine, which is found here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3IMOPLF3VLWEH.

Ingredients of this gummy besides ubiquinone: Glucose syrup, sucrose, water, gelatin, less than 2% of beeswax, citric acid, fractionated coconut oil, lactic acid, and natural flavor. WARNING: Contains tree nuts (coconut).

Natural Flavor Explained: The definition of natural flavor under the Code of Federal Regulations is: "The essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional" (21CFR101.22). That essentially means that natural flavor is derived from a real food, but the process by which it is derived is unexplained and there is no way to know how safe or healthy a natural flavoring is.
99 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2012
Since ordering Vitafusion CoQ10, I have purchased 6 other products by Vitafusion (vitamins). What is so attractive about Vitafusion is the "gummy bear" offering for different types of vitamins. It tastes good. I have found over the years I would research "the best vitamins" and not take the vitamins each day, after purchasing, because I would find myself salivating in not a good way at the thought of swallowing them. Rather, the gummy bear vitamins I take (6 bottles) occurs in about 5 minutes. I would recommend this product, if the CoQ10 is what you are looking for, and additionally the horse pills turn you off.
on June 28, 2013
I received my bottle of CoQ10, 200 mg. 60 count, and this is the reason I chose this particular brand. However, you need to take 2 gummies for the 200 mg. dose. I feel this is deceptive on the part of Vitafusion and should be corrected in the ordering information.
on September 20, 2012
Not sure how you can tell if the product is effective -- but it tastes great and doesn't upset my sensitive stomach. So I'm happy.
Its not a costly item either especially if you use subscribe/save. I'd say its worth trying if your doctor suggests this.
on August 17, 2013
They say 60 count 200 mgs. It is NOT 200 they are 100mgs if you take two then its 200mgs!
on January 10, 2014
I bought this for the advertised potency and price, compared to softgels from the warehouse club. The price was comparable to the warehouse club with Amazon Subscribe and Save, so I figured "why not"? I was not buying this because they are fruity or chew-able. The name of this item is "Viafusion CoQ10 Gummy Vitamins, 200 Mg, 60 Count". To me, that means each vitamin is 200 Mg. So now I have them, I've opened the package and took one and then my wife says, "Look the bottle says that 2 gummies are a 200 Mg serving". BAM! That just doubled the price compared to the warehouse club, or even the local supermarket when on sale. Buyer beware, not only is the Amazon description deceptive, but the Vitafusion packaging is deceptive. In big letters on the front, the bottle states, 60 Gummies, 200 Mg Formula. On the side and in the instructions, smaller print of course, it states that 2 gummies provide 200 Mg. Again, where I come from, if something says 200 Mg Formula, that means the unit value is 200 Mg.
on June 9, 2013
This is a great product for those that don't like swallowing pills - they taste good. But, the label is deliberately misleading.

I have no problem taking pills. I thought I got a good deal on this at Walmert since all the other products were only 30, 200mg pills and this was 60, "200mg Formula" gummies, double the amount for about a 50% higher price. Great deal, Not! "200mg Formula" = a formula to trick people into buying a more expensive product. It turns out that there's 200mg of CoQ10 "per serving" and the serving size is 2. I could have bought 30 of the expensive 200mg "high absorption" CoQ10 pills for the same money I paid for these. It's my fault for not reading the entire label, but shame on Vitafusion for willfully trying to trick people.

Wow, I just noticed that the Amazon description says "200 Mg, 60 Count". I guess Vitafusion might be a bonafide liar (unless Amazon writes the descriptions, which would mean they got fooled - just like I did).
55 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2016
I have only used chewable vitamins and supplements for several years now. These are tasty and never make
you remember they are good for you! They do not stick together even in my Florida weather. I left them in the
car for a whole work day once and worried and then they were ok. Of all the brands I have tried Vitafusion is
the best tasting of all of them. Nature Made while a good name in vitamins is terrible when it comes to gummy
vitamins. I would not chew them for free, in fact I threw a bottle away after trying it at a reduced price one time.
on February 25, 2016
I really like these and the flavor is yummy, but I was under the impression that one chew was the equivalent of 200mg, but you have to chew two to get the full amount (1=100mg). Still, it is nice to not have to swallow another pill. I will purchase these again.
on January 16, 2014
As others have pointed out you need to take two gummies to get 200 Mg - so this is only a 30 day supply. This labeling borders on outright fraud! So if you're computing real cost, make sure to do the math. Other than that, they taste OK.