5.0 out of 5 stars Good information clearly written

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and Boring, But Good Information
Published 9 months ago by darswords

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information clearly written, April 25, 2009
Rich Blumenthal ((Mission Viejo, CA USA)) - See all my reviews
Dozens of medical research studies leave no doubt that having enough vitamin D will provide strong protection against cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and diseases that collectively kill over 2 million Americans every year. The studies typically show that after 5 years or so, those in the highest quartile of vitamin D status die from chronic degenerative diseases less than half as much as those in the lowest quartile. Dr. Soram Khalsa does a good job of explaining the benefits and cutting through the confusion and misinformation. The Vitamin D Revolution is a good starting point for anyone wanting to prevent serious illness or supercharge their immune system.

There is so much good information contained in this book I would recommend it to anyone. It is clearly written in non-technical language and is carefully and extensively researched. Starting on page 67, Dr. Khalsa's explanation of long-latency vs short-latency deficiency diseases sheds important light in how and why the government recommends an inadequate daily dose of 400 international units. (They were addressing bone disease but were unaware at the time of vitamin D's role in other far more serious diseases that take decades to develop.) There is an excellent description on page 8 on what makes vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) better than D2 (ergocalciferol). On page 140 he points out doctors sometimes mistakenly prescribe the 1,25(OH2)D blood test whereas the only reliable test is the 25(OH)D.

The ultimate message of the book is that we should all be trying to obtain a blood level around 50 mg/mL based on the 25(OH)D blood test, which in most people requires supplementing with 5000 IU of vitamin D3. Semiannual blood test are a good idea to track your progress and insure you don't overdose. If you take away nothing more than this message you and vow to follow through on it, you will be well on your way to better health.

I am giving this book a rating of 5 stars. Dr. Khalsa is to be highly commended for his dedication to the health of his patients and readers of this excellent book. If everyone everywhere became knowledgeable on vitamin D and optimized their blood level, the impact on public health would be extreme. Dr. Khalsa states that widespread vitamin D supplementation has the very real potential of putting a serious dent in the health crisis that costs over $2 trillion per year in the US alone.

The Vitamin D Revolution starts with you, and reading this book and implementing its suggestions will place you squarely at the front lines of this important grassroots movement.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great little book, June 17, 2010
[2012 WARNING: Until 2012, none of the books on the benefits of Vitamin D3 warned about the need to also take vitamin K2! I have to wonder how all these self-claimed vitamin D3 experts, who also claimed so many successes, were ignorant that vitamin A (it seems most of us are deficient in this vitamin too), vitamin D3 and vitamin K (in the form of K2) must come together in balanced proportions. If you take calcium and vitamin D but are deficient in vitamin K, you may be increasing the risk of a heart attack.

Vitamin K is essential not only for preventing potentially deadly blood clots but also for bone building (including delaying tooth decay) and maintenance. Perhaps most important - K has powerful anti-cancer effects. It is known to be helpful for cardiovascular disease, varicose veins, brain health problems, including dementia and even prevents infectious diseases such as pneumonia. Some claim that most people need daily vitamin D3 of at least 2000 IU with 3000 IU of vitamin A and 100mcg of vitamin K2. The synergy between them is vital as there is evidence that the safety of high dose vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.

Also worth reading: "Primal Panacea" by Thomas E. Levy, explaining that vitamin C is equally important for bones. Vitamin C is also uniquely suited to kill pathogens, neutralise toxins and supercharge the immune system.]

Of the 8 books on vitamin D I've now read, this was my favorite last year. Of the other books, "Vitamin D Prescription" by Eric Madrid is also good. "The Vitamin D Cure" by James Dowd is not basic, comprehensive or practical. Then there is "Vitamin D" by Michael Merrill which was too brief and simply inadequate. At the other extreme is the comprehensive but somewhat technical "Sunshine and Vitamin D" by Frank Murray - mainly brief compilations of hundreds of studies but no practical guidelines, so not really suitable for the layman who wants to experiment with high-dose vitamin D.

Of this year's books so far: "Vitamin D" by Rona and "Power of Vitamin D" by Zaidi are both brief but quite good and the one that is now my favorite pick is "The Vitamin D Solution: A 3-Step Strategy to Cure Our Most Common Health Problem" by Holick. It is a practical and easy read. At 300 pages I also found it thorough. I liked that it straightforwardly explained that sunshine, when it shines strongly enough, is always better than supplementing with Vitamin D.

Going back to this book, Khalsa is both a clinical professor of medicine and a naturopathic doctor. His sincerity and genuine desire to help you shine out. This book is much more simply and clearly set out than most of the pre-2010 books, and includes the differences between the three forms of vitamin D (D3 is the important one), the pros and cons of getting vitamin D from sunshine or tanning beds, which vitamin D test you/your doctor should use (and why), and several careful pages on dosage. The aim was to help you to help yourself, whereas other books are keen for you to consult a doctor. I felt immediately able to apply the information from this book.

It's also worth noting that over a decade ago several books were already lauding the much-overlooked benefits of sunshine, the best way to get vitamin D, although the further away from the equator, the less effective. Anyone living above the 35th parallel is highly likely to have a sunshine/vit D deficiency that can also lead to many common symptoms. Those who react badly to Vitamin D and/or sunshine may have a rare disease called sarcoidosis.)

According to this book, vitamin D can cure 17 types of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, bone density issues, arthritis, flu, muscle pain, fatigue, chronic pain, seasonal (and other) depression and various autoimmune disorders. Perhaps it's just my cynicism from decades of reading endless books singing the praises of so-called miracles such as DMSO, MMS, DHEA, vitamin C, magnesium, iodine, omega 3 EFAs, breathwork, oxygen therapy, hydrogen peroxide, water, thyroid hormone, adrenal hormone, liver cleanses, detoxes, fasts, exercise, neutralizing electromagnetic stress, juicing, mangosteen, noni juice, superfoods, organic foods, wholefoods, celiac diets, dairy-free diets, veggie diets, protein diets, carb diets, food combining, acid-alkaline balancing diets, Glycemic Index diets, high fiber diets, raw food diets, candida/fungus elimination, parasite cleansing - oh dear, the list of my gullibility seems endless.

Yes, I've tried all of these; yes, thoroughly and sometimes repeating them in various combinations and on each occasion with enthusiasm and bright-eyed hope but I saw no measurable benefits. "Trick and Treat" by Groves explains in detail just why my efforts were doomed. Nowadays, when I read about health wonders, I wonder how many claims of success are made up or at least tweaked - and I wonder what proportion of actual patients were successful in any way, much less miraculously so, as is always claimed by books touting single strategies.

I was startled to learn - from the Holick book - that about a third of the population has kidney disease (which never gets diagnosed until too late), about the same number who are obese (hello... anyone making a connection here?) and that their bodies may not be able to produce enough activated vitamin D. However, the books are not clear enough that the elderly and those with poor health simply cannot produce enough activated vitamin D in their bodies even when taking high-dose vitamin D2 or D3 - this was explained only in the Holick book.

Based on my personal experience of taking 10,000iu daily of vitamin D3 for 6 months (but Rona's book mentions Norm Shealy, a physician who has taken 50,000iu per day for 18 months), I'm not convinced that vitamin D supplementation of the non-prescription kind is a panacea, as so many of the books are claiming - and I am not convinced that all these authors got the unanimously fantastic results they allege. While I believe that vitamin D supplementation at 5,000 ius daily is beneficial, too many single-strategy books have a way of sounding a little overzealous, attributing every malady to whatever deficiency they're tackling and proposing it as the magic solution across the board. Further, not one of these books on vitamin D explains that vitamin D cannot work without magnesium, and that anyone with a chronic health issue is magnesium deficient, as explained in "Treatment Essentials" by Dr Mark Sircus.

LATER NOTES: I eventually was diagnosed, by a metabolic specialist, with serious adrenal fatigue and serious low thyroid issues. The thyroid issue had been getting worse for 2 decades, whilst "standard" medicine denied I had either, repeatedly assuring me all their tests "proved" this. Turns out you have an 80% chance of one or both, if you have a chronic health issue. Visit the Broda Barnes Foundation website for a list of the few thyroid-sympathetic doctors in your state: click on the "educational info" button on the left. It's also worth knowing about "The Calcium Lie II" an intriguing book plausibly claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses and which shows how taking calcium with vitamin D is actually dangerous and that the increased cancer and medical problems related to "vitamin" D hormone deficiency are more likely related to D hormone suppression from intracellular calcium excess thus leading to adrenal suppression with a resulting increase in illnesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, April 13, 2009
This is an extraordinary, easy to read little book which will provide you with amazing information on the importance of vit. D in the body. He explains why it is such a widespread & overlooked problem which can prevent as well as relieve so many health problems that have not, until just recently, been linked to Vitamin D deficiency.

He guides the reader step by step in understanding what is known of vitamin D, where it comes from, how to know if you are likely to have a deficiency, how and where to test, how to supplement, diseases that have already been found to have a direct relation to this vitamin, as well as health situations that are not necessarily a "disease" such as chronic fatigue, excess stress, moodiness, etc.

I think that this doctor is way ahead as far as this subject is concerned.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read, April 12, 2009
This book is current, accurate and well written. If you could only read one book on the rediscovery of vitamin D deficiency, this should be that one. I am a family physician (FP). I just completed teaching a breakout session for four dozen fellow FP's at a national military FP conference on this topic. I gave a copy of this book to the participants.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Resource for Basic Health Improvement., August 30, 2012
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
This book has made a positive contribution to my own health in the past few months. I hope the ideas presented of the human body's needs for a more efficient level of nutritional intake will be widely read. The principles in this book have made a marked difference in my own health since March 2012.

On March 3,2012 I experienced excruciating pain and an ugly rash around the upper part of my body. This condition necessitated a quick trip to a hospital emergency room one evening. The condition was diagnosed as "typical T-4 Shingles," Herpes Zoster, that often occurs as an aftermath of a long-forgotten childhood bout with Chicken Pox!

In that ER, I received prescriptions for an anti-bacterial cleanser for treating the rash, and a strong pain medication, as well as advice that maybe an anti-histamine would be helpful in coping with the painful rash. The pain medication had horrible side effects, and barely diminished the pain of the rash. The anti-histamine just made me sleepy, and did little else. I was reminded of something my mother once said after a long time of coping with various medical treatments:
She said: "Now I understand why doctors call it 'practicing' medicine, because they just keep on practicing, never really getting it just right."

At the end of three months my symptoms had improved only slightly. The rash was healed, but there remained deep pain where the rash had appeared, and there was deep scarring from that rash. I was told by my doctor that I could not receive a vaccination against a future onset of Shingles as long as I experienced any symptoms of this attack. I also learned from my internet search that the pain could last the rest of my lifetime, because I am elderly. Very discouraging.

This information and continued pain caused me to explore the internet for more information. I found information about how to strentthen one's basic immune system, including data on which supplements to include to accomplish this. That is how I found this book, "The Vitamin D Revolution." This information has been most valuable to me in overcoming the Shingles symptoms, and seems to have brought significant improvement in my arthritic feet as well! I now have very little pain. I am so grateful for the information in this book.

This book is well-written, easy to read, and worth the reading time, especially if one needs treatment that is more than just a prescription to alleviate symptoms. The information in this book can actually bring about cures of many of our common ailments. Trust me. I am living proof that it is true, based on good science and great results.

One of the best things about this book is that it was offered as a free download for my Kindle. Thanks, Amazon.

Carolyn McElrath
Age 83, Retired High School Teacher

5.0 out of 5 stars VITAMIN D3, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
I use vitamin D 3 and have for quite some time. So many people have no idea that they are vitamin D deficient. Another sad issue with this is the fact that Big Pharma came out with the RDV of 800 to a 1000 IU. That is hog wash and was put out so we the sick public would buy their drugs some of which were laced with 30,000 IU of V-D3.
On top of all this we have those who make sun tan lotions with so many chemicals in them that block out all natural V-D3 from the sun.
Yes they did a good job of hiding the truth about this vitamin just as they did with Coconut Oil.
Our worst enemy is our own Doctors.
Joe Dennie
Ecuador

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information. Take Vitamin K2 (MK-7) 100 mcg as well though, September 24, 2012
I downloaded the Kindle version of this book a few hours ago.

He differentiates how D3 is more effective than D2 that most physicians ignore. The prescription forms of D are D2 at present.

I do like what Dr. Khalsa says over all yet I wish he had included information about including taking K2 (MK-7) 100 mcg that prevents too much Vitamin D from getting into the bloodstream rather than where it is needed and wanted. That can be dangerous to ignore.

I have read that most of us are also low in K2 (MK-7) as well as D so do your own research. K1 is the more common form of K found in foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book On A Very Important Supplement, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
There are a lot of supplement books on the market but very few are as thorough and yet easy to read as this one. Written by a medical doctor with a lot of depth in the field, this is an important book for anyone looking to improve their health through the proper use of Vitamin D.

By walking the reader step by step through what could have been a very complex subject, Dr. Khalia's book is a big help in understanding proper usage, dosage levels, and other important factors in Vitamin D therapy.

A very thorough and enjoyable book on the subject and at a very affordable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars For people who are serious about radiant health, anti-aging and staying disease free!, March 4, 2009
Dr. Soram Khalsa is brilliant. I am privileged to be one of his patients. He is always ahead of the curve, on the cutting edge of healing and great medicine, and years ahead of others in finding ways in which we can all achieve, and maintain, radiant health. Dr. Soram Khalsa spoke of the powerful and healing aspects of Vitamin D years before anyone else even thought seriously about it! So many of us have anxiously awaited the publication of this book and all of the wisdom it contains! Melinda, Los Angeles, California

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and Boring, But Good Information, March 30, 2014
darswords "Dar" (Reno, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
Though I loved the information I picked up from this book, I found it boring and repetitive. The information I really wanted was tucked into the last few pages, yet by then I think I had figured it out. Like many non-fiction books, this one followed the method of telling us there's a problem, why we have the problem, and what research has been done. The problem was repeated over and over.

On the other hand, my personal experience with my doctors has made me more than curious about this vitamin. One doctor told me that I was vitamin D deficient. The next doctor told me I was too high in this vitamin, that it was toxic. This book proves that it is nearly impossible to have toxic amounts of D. That our bodies use this vitamin completely. And it seems that I have all the symptoms of adult rickets. Those are the symptoms of fibromyalgia, at least my experience of it. And I am now taking the amount of vitamin D that the first doctor advised me to take. I will follow through and get tested soon. And I will continue to research this and other methods to find my health again.

I would love to hear from others who have read this book or followed the higher vitamin D intake and find out how well it works for them. I do think people who are having health issues and those who would want to keep themselves healthy would find this book informational, at least.

Vitamin D Revolution