5.0 out of 5 stars Vitamin P 2
Published on January 7, 2012 by Laurie Rawlins

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!
Hmmm, disappointed in this book. Many pieces I wouldn't consider painting and the majority of them are strange. Now I like contemporary work so don't get me wrong. I paint abstracts and non-objective pieces, am pretty up on new and upcoming artists and read the art magazines but I really don't like this book much. The first one was much better.
Published 7 months ago by Dianne Erickson

5.0 out of 5 stars Vitamin P 2, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
A non-mint copy of the original Vitamin P is always in my painting studio - sticky tabs sticking out the top and side, binding repaired with gaff tape and, because the artist names were so small (6 font?) and written in red, I rewrote all 114 artist names five times larger with an extra fine sharpie. (I am near sited, but not blind). I love Phaidon Publishing, but at times it seems that production decisions are ludicrous - trying to be cute?

The number one improvement in Vitamin P2 is I can READ the artist's names and the bios. As with the previous edition, the artist bios are succinct and interestingly include information about technique and materials. It is an impressive venture to hire 40 different writers. In Vitamin P each monograph was broken into 1) about the artwork 2) about the artist, which I like. P2 is not in the same form.

I find the choice of represented artists to be inclusive, broad (nationality, gender, age, etc.), and fascinating. A rich list of nominators indeed! And the reproduction of paintings, as in Vitamin P, is top notch.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in contemporary painting. It feels very NOW. Off to properly abuse P2........

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. A MUST HAVE!!, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
The Phaidon's Vitamin P book was really a great book. This (new) Vitamin P2 does perfectly complements the first one, the selection of artists is very well done. Congratulations to the authors of the book, they did an excellent job. 5 stars and definitely A MUST HAVE!

There were few changes in relation to the first book that helped improve the presentation of the book. (The hardcover, the size of the prints are enlarged as well as improved the quality of them).
As for the selection of artists, there are several very pleasant surprises (for example the presence of Michael Borremans, Matthias Weischer or Dana Schutz, just to name a few). Similarly, the variety of selected works demonstrate a high level. It really is worth studying the work of each of the artists included in this (second and hopefully not last) Vitamin P.

Thanks Amazon. Thanks Phaidon for your nice books.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the art stident, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
Very good book for those interested in painting to see what's currently being done with paint and process from a huge variety of artists. The reproduction of the works is crisp and there are plenty of them. A must have for those new to exploring with paint and process. Phaidon Press is a great publisher of art books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, good selection, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
This is a great compilation.. easily better than Vitamin P1. The spotlight this time around has been on a lot of very fresh artists with previously little exposure, so it's a good look at some work you might have missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as inspired, but still very very good!, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
The book itself is a work of art. I don't Think Vitamin P2 will have as big of an impact as Vitamin P because VP2 doesn't seem more progressive than VP. I enjoy reading about the painters in VP2, and I think it's important to continue to seek out new painters, but I don't feel as inspired by VP2 as I did by VP. It could be that I wasn't as familiar with contemporary painters when I discovered VP and thus had a greater impact on me personally, or it could be that my sense that VP2 feels a little on the safe side -- whereas VP appeared to include artists who's process and content seemed a little more challenging and involved more risk taking, which in turn felt fresh -- is a fair assessment. I'm glad I purchased VP2 but I'm still more inspired by VP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
Interesting reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with thoughtful introduction, March 2, 2014
Sarah (Rotorua, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book, filled with many interesting artists and good illustrations. Barry Schwabskys introductory essay is very thought provoking. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
beautiful book. informative. high quality. laid out very well. current. something for anyone interested in the world of contemporary art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,Yes, buy it!, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
So glad I bought it! There's Lots of inspiration to be had here. Now I have both 1 and 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting (Hardcover)
Inspiring,and amazing. For everyone that loves painting, this book is filled with fresh views that will certainly inspire. A book to peruse over and over.

Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting
Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting by Lee Ambrozy (Hardcover - October 24, 2011)
$69.95 $48.16