5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations!
Published 22 months ago by Laurie A. Cochrane

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but doesn't live up to the hype
Hate to be the nay-sayer, but I was not impressed. I got this to replace a Breville that had served well under heavy use for blending, dry-grinding, pureeing cooked and raw vegetables etc., but finally gave out. Thought this would be an upgrade. I used it once to puree a soup. It did a good job of that...but for $280 more than the Breville I had, I expected more. Here are...
Published 10 months ago by Robert Crooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations!, October 14, 2012
Laurie A. Cochrane (Griffin, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vitamix 5200 - 7 YR WARRANTY Variable Speed Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor and 64-Ounce Jar Black
Oh man, I love this thing! I'd started making fresh juices for myself by borrowing various juicers from friends for a week at a time. I tried a couple of centrifugal juicers, but there was a ton of waste. My dad bought a VitaMix and said it was terrific. Then, I was doing some freelance work for a creative group, and the president told me that she has been juicing for four years, using centrifugal and masticating juicers, but the VitaMix was THE ONE. She was getting rid of all her other juicers. That did it. I make fresh juice several times a day now. The VitaMix could not possibly be easier to clean - most of the time all I have to do is rinse the container and top. My husband, who turns up his nose at ANYTHING good for him, is now chugging spinach/grape/banana/pineapple juice once or twice a day - and loving it! My two girls, 13 and 11, are making their own juices - even when I'm not around. VitaMix uses the entire fruit or vegetable. You get all the fiber and no waste. Couldn't be happier.

One caveat: Many kitchens don't have enough space above the counter to fit the whole VitaMix underneath (with base and pitcher it's 18" tall), but I have mine on a little table that has enough clearance. I'm sure that helps me use it more, since I don't have to dig parts out from a cabinet.

4.0 out of 5 stars 7-Year Warranty is For Real, February 17, 2013
WilliWu (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I've used my 5200 every day for the last 2-1/2 years and was surprised when it started to act up a bit. It would still work, but would occasionally surge to a higher speed when set for a low speed. I had not expected this as I have friends who have used theirs more heavily for five years or more with no problems at all. When I called Vitamix customer service, I discovered that the 7-Year warranty is golden. A very courteous and knowledgeable rep listened patiently to my description of the problem and told me that I would need to send it in to the factory. She then emailed me a prepaid UPS label which I affixed to the box -- which I had thankfully kept. The repaired and refurbished blender showed up at my doorstep 10 days after I dropped it off at the UPS store. Not only did they fix the problem, they gave me a new container and lid. Nothing that I could see was wrong with the old one. I've never before had such an experience with any warranty.
While this is by far the best blender I've ever owned, I have dropped it one star because I have to use the tamper on about every fifth smoothie. It's a matter of what you put in it and how it is packed, and not a big deal to tamp it down. Just once to get it started and it does the rest on its own. It's also too tall to fit under my cabinets, but again not a big deal to take the container off for storage. They now make a wider and shorter one with the same capacity that should solve both of these minor problems and I might consider it if I ever need another blender. I've had enough bad experiences with cheaper blenders (Kitchenaid and Breville) that I would not take a chance on any other brand. Breville, by the way, was the absolute worst. In spite of the much higher price of the Vitamix, I have found it to be the least expensive on a cost per smoothie basis: $480 / 7-years x 365 days = 19 cents per smoothie; even if it goes belly up at exactly 7 years. I expect that it will last much longer.
Strongest points for this Vitamix are ability to blend almost anything -- stringy oranges, frozen bananas, flax seeds, calcium pills, etc. and easy cleanup.

Interesting Experiment: Smoothie too warm? While the Vitamix was out for repair, I used an old KitchenAid blender and noticed that my smoothies were colder than they had been in the Vitamix. When the Vitamix returned, I tried this experiment: Fill 1/2 with water and run for one minute at highest speed -- measure water temp before and after, then repeat at variable speed 7. Result: Water temperature increased by 14 degrees at highest speed, but only 7 degrees at lower speed. I learned that the higher speed was overkill for my smoothies and now blend them at variable speed 7 with an occasional high speed burst. Alternative is to add a little ice. This is not a flaw of the blender, but a simple illustration of the First Law of Thermodynamics -- more kinetic energy equals more heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase Ever!, December 6, 2012
I work as a Nutritionist and I recommend to all of my clients to purchase a Vitamix. It is a fantastic way to meet your daily recommended amounts of RAW fruits and vegetables. I have had "nice" blenders in the past, $100+, but they had eventually all failed and with no warranty. I use my Vitamix everyday! I blend up "Green" smoothies for my husband and my 20 month old daughter every morning. My daughter has been drinking blended green drinks since she was 9 months old. It is a great way to introduce lots of different raw vegetables into the diets of your little ones. I typically blend: Water, Spinach, Kale, Chard, cucumber, celery, carrot, tomato, banana and mixed berries. I also add 1/4 cup of raw nuts and 1-2 TBS of raw seeds for a boost of protein in the a.m. and the Vitamix blends it all up into a smooth texture! Purchasing a Vitamix is an investment in your HEALTH!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 16 Years Now w/ Vitamix 5000, March 29, 2013
I was prompted to write this review when last week I had to order a new blade to replace the dull blades of my Vitamix 5000, the predecessor, to the 5200. My wife and I have owned ours for 16 years, and use it A LOT!!! Believe it or not, when we bought it in 1997, I think it was $500 then, which was A LOT of money to us, and I thought I must be crazy to spend that kind of money on a "blender." I don't have time for a long review about how wonderful this product is, and all the great things you can do with it. You can read other reviews about that, and I'll just say "I agree."

My main contribution is this: 16 years now of near daily use, and for the last 5 years used 2-3 times a day. Not a single problem. Totality of "issues:" We've changed the blade twice in 16 years. What electronic appliance have you ever owned, and that's used so much, that's lasted 16 years. Absolutely amazing, and when you consider the quality of this product, and it's sheer power, it was a very wise $500 purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best appliance ever!, October 26, 2012
I've had this blender for 2 months and I am not exaggerating when I say I can't live without it. How so? When I travel, I make room in my luggage for the Vitamix--even in hand luggage. I've made soups from scratch in 15 minutes tops, sherbets, sorbets, super green smoothies--you name it. I just made my first raw pecan pie all in the Vitamix. It's super easy to clean within 30 seconds. My food processor hasn't been taken out in a while and I'm using my juicer less now that I can have super smooth, whole food smoothies. I recently visited a friend with a Blendtec and I prefer being able to use the Vitamix tamper without having to stop blending if something isn't mixing. You have much more control with the Vitamix. It's easier to eat healthily and make intense smoothies when the prep and clean up is basically non-existent. It's definitely expensive but it has paid for itself. None of my food gets wasted. I used to struggle to eat all my fruits and veggies but now, I go through fresh produce so fast. I'm eating better, not wasting food and having fun in the process. Don't buy those unnecessary shoes, the impulse electronics, etc. for a few months. I've gone to homes where they've had their Vitamixes for years and years. Definitely worth holding off on a few non essentials for a few months rather than settling for a subpar blender. This does it ALL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workhorse product, unusually good customer service, don't forget to register your machine!, December 15, 2012
B. Grandon (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I actually got this exact model at Costco three years ago on a promotional deal (it was pricey even at that). It was an impulse kind of buy (or I'd have gotten it here).

This blender DOES have a powerful motor and sturdy blades, but my machine is needing to go in for service now as the motor slows down even on low power jobs like a smoothie with just powders and liquids.

I have not used it for all the things that the demonstrator showed and which it is apparently capable of (making soups, ice creams, etc). Used almost daily for mixing smoothies and beverages, and I use it for the last stage of a homemade vegetable chicken or bean soup (take out a cup or two of the soup and quickly pulse and pour back into the soup to give a creaminess).

The plastic stick thing that you use to push the veg or ice etc around has been replaced at least twice in three years - it very easily chips if it touches the whirring blades - be careful if you use it not to touch the blades, or you could be consuming plastic!

The container is plastic, and supposed to BPA free, but still I wish it was a sturdy glass not plastic! It has greatly discolored and gotten cloudy over the years, but the customer service rep (who was very nice, knowledgeable, and native English spearker!) just now informed me that using some bleach diluted with water and soaking , then washing in dishwasher, or using a product called CLR would clear up the cloudiness.

I am not 100% convinced that the price of this blender is justified -- yes the motor is powerful (but not perfect obviously in my case, if its failing after three years), but so are many other good quality blenders that are a fraction of the price.

I must say I was really impressed with the quality of the customer service department (1-800-828-2649, found the number on the back of the machine), prompt answer to my call, didn't get stuck in queue hell, the rep was friendly and helpful. Thank goodness also I was still in the window of some warranty through Costco - I never did register the machine but the rep did it for me just now. You can register it online at their site. Don't forget to do that, then you do have recourse years down the road. I certainly doubt you would have that recourse with other blender manufacturers, at least not years from purchase. That is a real plus.

My Vitamix did develop a slight stalling issue in the motor after about two years, but it seems to have self resolved and it works fine now. If you get used to this blender then go try another more 'basic' down market one, you will really appreciate it! Yes it is a bit pricey. But you'll likely use it for many many years, if not a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 4, 2012
Lance (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
In Texas, and perhaps other places, when something is called " the greatest thing since sliced bread" it is the best. I have found " the greatest thing since sliced bread"! We love this appliance. Soups, smoothies, pestos, nut butters and milks, guacamole, nut milks- so easy and powerful. And it practically cleans itself. It takes some getting used to, to figure out which speed to use and for how long to blend. But once I started to figure out speed and duration, it opened up a world of recipes. The Internet is full of vitamix recipes. We're raw foodies, and the vitamix makes it so simple. The perfectly sized tamper makes life easy once you get the hang of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a little practice, March 3, 2013
Everyone talks about how powerful it is and they give alot of details about machine, so I'll mention some things that people been talking about.

Bought this from costco and was bummed that it didn't come with the 32 oz dry blade container. Except they offer it on costco's online website with the container but a $125 more and plus you pay for shipping. Along with the machine, it did come with a 64 oz wet blade container (and yes the base of the blender is like big like The Hulk, not that it has muscles, but, it's huge. Included: DVD-a recipe guide with instructional videos (very basic) and a recipe book and a tamper (reminds me of a blunt ninja sword or a mini jousting stick for poking your food to feed it into the blender so that no food gets left behind)

Green smoothies is going to play a big role in the vitamix if you decide to take the plunge (no pun intended) since it's healthy, it's good for you, and you don't have to sit there eating every single green vegetable (I'm not saying to use this as an excuse not to eat your veggies, but, a quicker way to get your nutrition). You'll still have to eat solid foods, but, like others, I feel healthier. No joke. I feel more awake and being able to concentrate more. If you do a 70 fruits/30 veggies first. Be warned that you may have a sugar rush and may have a headache. I started with 60% fruits and 40% veggies to where now in the morning it's all veggies drink and one fruit 30%/veggies 70% and feel much better about it. Find out what works best for you.

People talked about the how quickly it blends things up and how it comes out creamy, smooth, and how adding a veggie or 2 to your ice cream or whatever you won't even detect it (it depends on what veggie you're using). This works well for Couples with young kids who doesn't like to eat their veggies. Blend up a carrot or veggie in the smoothie/ice cream and kids won't know not unless you use something potent like onions or garlic. Yuck!

Also, I made tortilla soup (first batch was too heavy as the black beans were well blended and I couldn't eat much as it made me full fast. Second batch turned out just right) I realize that if you follow the recipe and when it calls up for additional ingredients, such as corn, black beans, or things like that, if you dial it to 3 like the recipe tells you, you may have some blended corn and black beans as well. What I found that works best is, if you want to add additonal ingredients to make it chunky, leave it on speed 3 on the dial and do what the recipe book tells you (including adding more tomatoes, celery, and what not. Then transfer the soup over to a pot on the stove and cook the rest on their as I found this works out best for me (you don't have to do what I do, just a suggestion). I found it tasted better when doing this vs. leaving it all in the vitamix. That's just my opinion.

The thing is if you're looking for more recipes for vitamix you could also visit their website to view recipes their, look on google or youtube for vitamix recipes and you'll find alot. A community of vitamix users as well.

Also, if you have the same problem like me where you can't afford this machine, then, save up for one by putting away your money till you have enough to purchase it. Like alot of people says, it pays for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars cheaper at costco, February 19, 2013
very good machine and I use it everyday but save money buy it at costco for $375.00 in the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT! I've never eaten so many fruits and vegetables in one day!, March 29, 2013
I'm vegetarian but have to say even before this machine I never ate so many fruits and vegetables in one day!
I LOVE this machine! I have used it every day since I got it (2 weeks now?) except for one day and I totally missed having my smoothie that day. I have made tons of different fruit and vegetable smoothies and also hummus and the most delicious margaritas!

The best part is my husband who is a total meat and potato kind of guy is now drinking these smoothies too and is finally getting the vegetables he needs :) It was part of the reason I bought it. He was forced to agree he'd drink the vegetables if they tasted good HAHA! And I'm sure was secretly thrilled we'd have a Margarita maker too.

I don't find that it is that loud. I mean it's not QUIET but it's OK even our cat has actually stuck around while we blended and he's afraid of everything loud!

I bought mine on Vitamix.com as a reconditioned unit. Total around $350 (I found a promo code for free shipping) - It seemed a bit dingy (or maybe that wasn't the right word, not DIRTY though) when it arrived but I washed it out and seems to have NO problems at all. It still comes with a free 5 year warranty :)

So as far as the fruits and vegetables I have used:
CARROTS
GARLIC

Legumes:
COOKED GARBANZO BEANS
COOKED BLACK BEANS

Everything blended perfectly and without a problem. I had my doubts about the carrots but the machine pulverized it in seconds!

As far as people saying it makes the juice hot. Well yes the friction will make it warm but I have never had a problem with hot juice etc because my fruit was either frozen, or I added a few ice cubes to the mix and the juice was nice and cold :)

When I made hummus it was a little warm but nothing a while in the refrigerator didn't fix and besides I still ate it when it was slightly warm and it was good. It never was hot.

I have yet to make hot soup in it or flour etc but so far I LOVE IT!

Rate and Discover Movies