5.0 out of 5 stars Superior machine
I picked up the 6300 at the Costco roadshow. We do tons of smoothies for our kids (because one hates this, and one hates that, I can throw it all in the blender and call it a day, and they drink it happily). I had been debating whether or not to get a Vitamix or a Blendtec. This machine just seemed like a better deal overall.

A lot of people complain about...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Statia M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well--but too expensive to justify
I bought this latest model (6300) at Costco after the "road show" presentation almost 30 days ago. I was hesitant, but the salesman encouraged me to try it out for 30 days. I have made many things (about 60 in all)--smoothies, frozen desserts, soups and ice for snow cones; however, I will be returning it tomorrow. My personal experiences are as follows:

I...
Published 15 months ago by Matthew A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior machine, September 15, 2012
Statia M. (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vitamix 6300: Featuring 3 Pre-Programmed Settings, Variable Speed Control, and Pulse Function . Includes Savor Recipes Book , DVD and Spatula. (RED) (Kitchen)

A lot of people complain about the Vitamix being a little too high to store under the counter. Counter space in my kitchen in real estate, but I just stick the container next to the base and deal with it. It's not that big of a deal to me. Also, there is a shorter container available for purchase (which is much cheaper at Costco), that is good for every day use. You can store the larger canister for when you're making something special for guests and need to make something for larger groups.

Cleanup: This was one thing I was really worried about. I had a Kitchen-Aid for years, and I had to dismantle the entire thing and wash all of the pieces. It was a total pain in the rear, and it made me not want to use it. With the Vitamix, you simple put some hot soapy water in the container and blend, and then rinse. It cleans it perfectly.

Container: One, people complained that it left a lot in the container which is hard to get out. I did find that to be a bit of an issue, but nothing is perfect. Yes, you're spending a lot of money, but the machine is almost as close to perfect and magic as you're going to get. One little thing isn't going to break the deal. Two, people are wondering if it's BPA free, rest assured, it is. Maybe in the past it was polycarbonate, but it's now made of triton. I made tomato soup in it, and no stains. Awesome!!

Base: The base isn't all that attractive. Which some people might find off putting, but dude, this blender can make you soup! Heated and everything. Can your pretty blender do that? No. Also, the older models didn't have all of the fancy settings and buttons that the Blendtec did. The 6300 comes with presets that shut off automatically when they're done. I found the soup to go a little longer than I would have liked, but you can turn it off, so again, no big. On the other side, you can pretty much "set it and forget it" when it comes to most everything else.

This blender will replace a lot of your appliances. You won't need a food processor, or a juicer (which takes away a lot of nutrients through the pulp anyway), or an ice cream maker. And the warranty is top notch. I can't say enough good things about this blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase ever!, June 29, 2012
This model 6300 is the same as vitamix professional 500. The best feature of this product is the preprogrammed settings of smoothies, frozen, and hot soup. The smoothies setting will run for 46 seconds, frozen at 1 minute and hot soups at 4 minutes. Basically this is an upgraded model 5200. Last night I made bacon cheddar potato soup. It was awesome (page 92 of the recipe book Savor). My wife and daughter loved it so much. Tonight i made mango ice cream. Just set it at frozen and fire away. Clean up is easy too. If you are choosing between 5200 and 6300, this 6300 is much better. Go buy it now, you won't regret it. You will get professional results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it so far - Updated 11/4/2014, February 15, 2013
As I sit here, drinking my first smoothie from my new Vitamix 6300 I have to say I am quite impressed. It is much creamier and smoother than any smoothie I have gotten out of my Nutri-Bullet (which I also love!) Though this is the exact same recipe, the consistency is noticeably smoother.

We got this Vitamix at Costco because they had a very good price on it for us. Amazingly, on the way to the checkout several people stopped to tell us how much they loved their Vitamix blenders and how we would not be disappointed. If for any reason at all my opinion changes (such as I don't find myself using this baby enough to justify the cost or not meeting expectations I will update my review. However, 2 recipes tried and both awesome. Clean-up is amazingly simple, bit of a rinse with some water left in and a single drop of dish soap, turn it on for a whirl and rinse clean.

I realize this is a seriously expensive piece of equipment but I have never gotten this smooth, this alone would make it worth the cost to me as we do smoothies every day. Also, now I can make my own nut-milk where before the blender we had would not have been able to handle that job at all. Just evaluate honestly what you would and will make with it and what the ingredient costs are versus the pre-made store costs and see if you will come out ahead in the foods you enjoy.

All I have to say for now, I am going back to try out more fun recipes right now! Best wishes.

Update 5/16/2013: I am still in love with my vitamix and I use the preset options almost as much as I use the manual speed control. It easily handles everything we have thrown in it from hot soups to frozen desserts. Why have a high calorie, bad for you dessert when you can throw some frozen pineapple chunks and strawberries into your vitamix and have that instead? Or a couple frozen bananas, or some blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. The possibilities are endless and I love it. The cookbook that came with ours has also come in very handy. I am still amazed at just how smooth things come out too.

Update 3/30/2014: My Vitamix is used almost daily, most days several times. It has helped me to improve my eating habits and to save money in the long run. I now wish I had purchased a Vitamix sooner as making nut milks, smoothies, dressings, etc. not only tastes better, has no preservatives or artificial ingredients, but also has indeed saved me a lot of money. I did the math one day and found that for every batch of nut milk I make, I am saving $1.82 over what I was paying at the store. That $1.82 adds up fast, and that is even accounting for 10 cents of electric and wear and tear with each batch. It is not accounting for my time, which would be difficult to factor in. It also does not account for the health benefits of having the nut milk without any preservatives or sugars added to it. Just wanted to share how much I thoroughly enjoy this machine.

Update 11/4/2014: Still love my vitamix. It still runs like brand new. There are very few things it cannot handle without any assistance at all. By that I mean using the provided plunger. If you are blending a pitcher full of frozen fruit with very, very little water you will need to use the plunger. Most other times it handles it all on its own, which I love. I also use the grain pitcher to grind my own flours and it works wonder. I still make my own nut milk and by my calculations in savings my vitamix has more than paid for itself. I was very nervous when first getting this because of the cost but it was a very worth while investment that just keeps on giving. It seems like at least once a week I am finding a way it can make my life easier or at least save me some elbow grease/time. I am still constantly impressed by how smooth and perfect things whip up. I still love how it has gotten my family to eat oodles more fruit and vegetables through pureed soups and frozen desserts made with only fresh/frozen fruit. This has been an excellent investment in not only our families health but for our wallet. I have very limited counter space but my Vitamix has prime real estate there for a very good reason! I hope this helps, I will keep trying to give updates as I remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars BITE THE BULLET - GET THIS BLENDER!!!, October 22, 2012
I bought this from Costco - for $500.
First of all, I wanted it for months - since seeing a demo at Costco, but instead of buying the best blender in the world, I first bought a very nice Oster blender. It cost me $60 from Costco and did a very nice job. Nice, that is, if you like pulp and seeds in your drinks. I had this blender for about 4 months when my wife and I went back to Costco and we saw the Vitamix 6300 blender again being demoed. I watched the presentation and said, "Honey, what color Vitamix blender do you want?"

I've owned it for all of 5 days now. I love the recipe book, but do not consider it a necessity, but rather a guide as to the abilities of this blender. I like to tinker around the kitchen, but I do not really like to cook, so this blender is the perfect device for me.

I looked in the fridge and found a bottle of Mocha Frappuccino. I threw it into the blender, added chocolate syrup, some honey, ice and a touch of cinnamon. In less than 2 minutes I made a frozen dessert for 4 people.

I wanted a nice breakfast drink, so I cut up an apple, threw in 3 frozen strawberries, a banana, some fresh raspberries, some spinach, a little carrot, some almond milk, ice, mixed essence (a very tasty west indian version of vanilla extract), some ginger and sprinkled some cinnamon. Wow!! What a great drink!! And the Vitamix completely pulverized the raspberries - no seeds, no pieces of spinach. The drink is smooth and tasty top to bottom.

The only drawback to this blender is the cost - but consider what you are putting into your body instead of the usual junk you normally consume. Instead of pancakes for breakfast, try a smoothie. No carbs, no fat, tons of fresh fruit and veggies and amazingly tasty.

I haven't made lunch or dinner yet, but will keep you posted as to the results I get from the Vitamix 6300 blender.

Well, I hope you buy a Vitamix blender. I'm glad I did, and I can expect to be using mine for many years to come.

Update:
I made one of the recipes for Thai Pumpkin soup. I mistakenly added too much ginger, but otherwise it was wonderful, and easy to make. I made it again a couple of days later and reduced the ginger in half - and it was perfect. I admit that I used canned pumpkin - not the healthy lifestyle I professed earlier that a Vitamix blender could provide, but this is the first (and second) time I ever made soup, so I'm just a beginner here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well--but too expensive to justify, September 9, 2013
Matthew A. (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews

I have followed the recipe book and instructions precisely, making sure I put each item into the container as directed. I have had to use the tamper many times. You cannot just turn on the machine and walk away; you have to put forth more effort than you would expect. This has been the case when making frozen desserts and smoothies; anything that involves frozen fruits (yes, I followed the instructions to thaw first) or when adding ice. I tried to crush ice to make snow cones, and even with the tamper, the blades simply could not handle it.

I made tortilla soup with this three times. If you want your soup to have a totally smooth consistency, then you will appreciate this feature. I personally like my soup to have some texture, where you can actually taste the vegetables. If you choose to use the hot soup feature, be prepared for a wait and inevitably, a smooth consistency (think tomato soup). After three tries, I concluded that I would rather use my small food processor and then make my soup on the stove top vs. using the Vitamix.

Every time we have made a smoothie, they have ended up being much too liquidy. You will need to add ice or shorten the time frame if you are looking for a Jamba Juice consistency. Perhaps my ideal consistency of a "smoothie" differs from the opinions of others. A smoothie made from a Vitamix is like drinking a Naked Juice.

When using the frozen dessert feature, the tamper has been required every time. Period. The motor has actually smelled like it was overheating as I rushed to get the tamper in.

In making salsa, I followed the recommended time in the recipe book. The Vitamix pulverized the ingredients so fast that my salsa ended up like tomato juice.

The machine is just too big. At 20 inches tall, it does not fit on our counters, beneath the cabinets. It has been sitting on our kitchen island and really looks out of place. It is kind of funky looking anyway, with the pitcher being way too tall than what is needed.

In conclusion, while the Vitamix may be perfect for some, this machine just personally was not for me. I am glad I tried it out as I have always wanted one. I am going with an Oster, which is $60, and has great reviews. My old Oster lasted 20 years and I have confidence in the brand. I know people say the Vitamix will last as long, if not longer, therefore paying for itself. Personally, I just cannot justify the $500+ price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force is strong with this one..., August 28, 2013
Frank S. (Burnaby, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Sure, it looks like something Darth Vader would use, costs more than a custom light saber, and sounds like the Death Star cranking up to vaporize a rebel planet, but it's the best appliance you're ever going to buy.

Is it worth the price? You bet. I use this every day. This thing is keeping us healthy. Use it often and eat out less, and the thing will pay for itself in no time. Besides, I'm sure I've spent more money in the last year on junk we hardly use. This, however, is essential.

Blend long and prosper. (Yah, I know, wrong universe.)

Update: leaned a great cleaning tip online. After washing, dry the jug part inside and out with a microfiber cloth. Keeps it looking clear, shiny and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, September 14, 2012
We bought this at Costco for $499 and just watching the rep demo it in store had us hooked. We had gone for the older version that Cook's Illustrated recommended but decided this new upgraded model was worth the extra price. The tamper that allows you to assist with the process of blending thick and frozen mixtures while the blender is on is the crown jewel. The three program settings feature which other Vitamix models don't have are another must have. In fact, we have only used the program settings (smoothie, frozen and soup). My husband would tend to overblend but with these settings we get the perfect consistency and are enjoying our drink/frozen desert in less than a minute. The recipe book that came with the model is pretty extensive with 350 pages of recipes and color photos. We've made several frozen deserts and smoothies from the recipe book and we're so impressed - delicious. I never thought I'd make a drink with spinach in it but it's pretty darn good. My husband can't wait to make hot soup and is amazed that a blender can make hot it by blade friction alone. (The soup setting runs for several minutes - can't remember how long). Cleanup is a breeze - add hot water half way, a drop of soap and blend for 30 seconds. Voila! I only wished this model being sold at Costco came with the dry container like the older model does but perhaps in the future if I desire, I'll purchase that separately. This blender is an investment but we just returned a $150 Kitchen Aid blender that Cooks Illustrated no longer recommends after three months of useage due to horrible leaks. Buy this model, spend more and you won't regret the purchase. It comes with a 7 year warranty. Oh, and empty out your freezer because after this purchase you'll be stocking up on every kind of frozen fruit you can get your hands on. It's addicting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing product, December 9, 2013
I've come to be pretty confident when consumer products on Amazon have this many 5-star reviews, and Vitamix 6300 is no exception. We drink kale smoothies every morning, and my kids love to throw ice in with OJ or other juices to make 'slushies". Our little Magic Bullet just couldn't handle the workload anymore, and the smoothies were always chunky no matter how long I ran it (still love the bullet, but for simpler tasks). Smoothies in our regular blender ended up the same way (lumpy), and the blender is too hard to clean. Enter the Vitamix 6300. This thing is amazing. Here's my assessment:

Pros:

-Built like a tank. Feels like it could be used for hours in a Jamba Juice without batting an eye
-Makes perfectly smooth drinks, no matter what you toss in. I used to have to take the stems off the kale or other leafy greens. Not anymore. No matter what I put in, it comes out perfectly smooth. Healthier and faster.
-Pre-programmed settings are great. Toss my stuff in, set on 'smoothie', and it finishes when done. Just like in the smoothie shops
-Easy to clean. You don't have to take the bottom off to clean it. Instructions say to add water and run on low, but I usually just rinse it out immediately after use.
-Awesome cookbook comes with it, gives tons of soup, smoothie, pancake, etc. ideas. Have done a few already (squash soup...yum)
-Feels like it will last forever. We shall see but I am confident
-Power is crazy. It sounds like an airplane taking off when you run it (which could, I guess, be a con too). Feels like you could set it on high and run it for hours without hurting it.

Cons (I don't consider any of these real cons, but figure some might)

-Not the prettiest appliance you've ever seen
-Pretty loud. But I don't think it would be possible to get this much power with less noise. I actually kind of like it.
-Tall. As many have said, it won't fit under a standard cabinet (18" from counter top). Personally, I think this criticism is stupid, because if you find one that DOES fit under the counter, you still have to drag it out every time you use it. I set it to the left of the cabinet by the sink, and only have to take the container on and off. Plus, you can still store it under your cabinet, just not with the container on top of the base. I guess they make a shorter container, but I'd be afraid it would spill too easily if you turn the power on too high at first.

I've read a handful of comments suggesting the Vitamix is just an overpriced blender. With all due respect, that comment is absolute, complete nonsense. I understand if you don't want to spend this kind of money on one. But saying the Vitamix is an overpriced blender is like saying a Porsche 911 Turbo is an overpriced Mazda Miata.

If you have the money, I highly doubt you'll be let down. Plus Costco sells them from time to time, and you can occasionally find one on Craigs list that was a gift someone doesn't want.

Update, January 2014: After over a month with the VitaMix, I like it even more than I thought I would. It eats anything you feed it, and is stupid-easy to clean. I haven't used the cookbook as much as I thought, but think we will this summer for the smoothie recipes. This appliance rocks. Since owning it, I've met a few other friends who have them, and all....as in 100%....love theirs too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't afford NOT to invest in this!, January 3, 2013
I've been eyeing Vitamix blenders for many years and finally made the investment on this 6300 model (at Costco) a few weeks ago. When I first got it home, I had some serious buyer's remorse, but decided I should "try" it before I took it back since I was encouraged to do so by the demonstrator. It had me at my 1st green smoothie! Soup? I made a "healthy" broccoli/potato/leek soup in minutes from frozen veg's I already had. I lightly steamed the veg's in plain water prior to pouring it all in the Vitamix hot. Three clicks over to the preset hot soup setting, press the on button and the Vitamix did the rest! In a matter of minutes, I had hot soup that had no additives, controlled salt content, etc. with minimal effort! This is when the machine is the loudest, but it is for approx. 5 min. and the payoff is worth the noise. Plus, you can leave the room - no babysitting needed! At the end of the cycle, the soup will be very smooth and liquified, so I set aside some of the broccoli to add in later and pulsed it a few times for a bit of texture. I've made my own cashew creme/milk - which can be used in place of dairy in recipes. I also made my own coconut milk from a $1.50 whole coconut and turned it in to a coconut/vanilla bean sorbet (using the frozen setting) that was really tasty and so easy to do. The best part? Cleanup! Add a drop of dish detergent, warm/hot water to container and cover it. Place it back on the base and use the smoothie setting. All that's required further is a good rinse. The possibilities are endless and the benefits far outweigh the investment. Anyone I've spoken to has had nothing but raves on the performance and quality of Vitamix products and I also love that it is manufactured in the USA. The initial investment stung, but now my only regret is not making it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars This 6300 Takes everything up to the next level!, October 17, 2014
First a disclosure: I did not buy the 6300 via Amazon, but got it at Costco, due to the discounted prices, as well as the faster response for returns.

For the past four years we've used a Vitamix 5200, for both soups, ice creams, smoothies etc., as well as for grinding; we took whole grain wheat, ground it up into flower, added water, and ended up with pizza dough.

The end products, particularly the soups went extremely well and we had no problems at all with the product. it was well worth the money.

When the 6300 came out I avoided doing the upgrade, after all, other than the automatic settings for soups, smoothies, and frozen foods, there isn't really any difference, other than the design of the carafe.

A few weeks ago we ended up in Costco for some shopping and there was a Vitamix rep. demonstrating the new 6300. Always on the look out at Costco for a nice snack, we hung around the demonstration. We sampled the soup, ice cream and smoothies. The flavor and quality was identical to my 5200 with one major exception. The finished product came out as close to, or as identical to the end products in the recipe book/. I'll explain.

One of my favorites is the tortilla soup. It is simple and extremely easy to do. The problem, albeit a minor one, that I was having with the 5200, has to do with the final stage, that of adding the beans/corn/chicken/ tortilla chips at the end and then doing short bursts to shread them up a bit. With the 5200 setting the variable speed control and the hitting the on/off switch, for me at least, was a bit of hit and miss. Leave it on too long, even if the speed was reduced, meant smaller chunks. Hitting the switch too soon, meant larger chunks. While it did not affect that flavor of the soups at all, I was never really happy with the consistency of the end product.

With the 6300 I don't have that worry. Due to the electronic settings, I can get the soups at the right temperature, whether or not I use warm or cold water. When the cycle is complete, the soup is piping hot. Adding the beans/corn/chicken/ tortilla chips at the end remains the same. What is different is that the 6300 now has a separate pulse switch which now gives me EXACT control over the end process. The beans/corn/chicken/ tortilla chips etc. now are shredded/ground up to the exact consistency I want. It improves the appearance of the food as well.

As for smoothies, again the problem I had was with consistency. While the end results were always, insofar as the taste is concerned, as expected, the smoothies were not always "smooth". This has more to do with "operator error" than the machine. I was never really able to get the quality, appearance wise, that I felt the smoothie should have. Again, this was NOT the fault of the 5200, but was mine.

The 6300 has an automatic setting for smoothies. Now, I add the needed ingredients, add water or ice as needed, and then set the dial for smoothie, and then then turn the unit on. I rarely even have to use the tamper to get the ingredients to the bottom any more. I just set it and wait for the end results.

This unit REALLY packs a wallop! This morning I had in order: A nice bed of spinach, one apple, quartered, four carrots, small, with the ends lopped off, frozen fruits, i.e., mango, strawberry, pineapple, and, to further sweeten, two small halves of a banana. Plus a half cup of water.

I flipped the switch in in a few minutes, I ended up with an ice cold smoothie, that would have set me back at least $4.50 at any shop in the area.

The 6300 delivers the EXACT consistency that I want in my food, and also leaves me in control of the process as well.

The 6300 takes a great product, and amps it up to the next level.