5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with Blendtec
Vitamix makes excellent products. I have owned this one for about 7 or 8 years and just purchased a Blendtec a few months ago, as well.

Both are great blenders. Comparison of differences:

1) Motor - Blendtec has a more powerful motor. Noticeably more powerful - 3 HP vs 2 HP.

2) Construction - Blendtec is not as substantial in...
Published on May 12, 2010 by kalyson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great company, but spring for the 5200
Published on March 11, 2010 by K. Fredrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with Blendtec, May 12, 2010
kalyson (Madison, SD, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vitamix Turboblend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor (Kitchen)

Both are great blenders. Comparison of differences:

2) Construction - Blendtec is not as substantial in construction. Vitamix feels more heavy-duty, and is heavier. Vitamix will not rock and shake as much. Both are made in the USA with BPA-free containers.

3) Noise level - I don't notice that much difference. Maybe Blendtec is a bit louder, but it doesn't bother me.

4) Controls - There are more controls on the Blendtec - slower/faster, pulse, and preprogrammed selections. For example: Smoothies is one of the preprogrammed selections. So this means the Blendtec will alter its speed on its own in order to make sure items get blended that might otherwise stay bouncing around on top. It is optimized for each setting. You can do the same thing manually with the Vitamix with the spin dial that controls speed. Physically the Vitamix manually spin dial is easier to use. The Blendtec has a digital counter to tell you how many times you have used it.

5) Warranty - the Vitamix warranty is longer - 7 years on ALL parts that can be extended to 10 for an extra cost. Blendtec is normally only 3, not including the containers. This can be extended to 7 at no extra cost if purchased at Costco. The Vitamix had to have its motor replaced once. They were happy to do it and paid for shipping BOTH ways. Customer service was excellent. I can't evaluate this yet for the Blendtec since I haven't had it long enough, but the warranty does not cover shipping both ways.

6) Height - the Blendtec is shorter and fits easily under the cabinets in the kitchen. The Vitamix, at 20.5 inches, does not.

7) Containers - Both are BPA-free. The design of the Blendtec containers, while less substantial, is better. Wider instead of taller, they are easier to clean and easier to get food out of. Plus, this design lends itself to better performance.

8) Performance - the Blendtec will spin and pulverize thicker food even when the Vitamix will sit there and spin with nothing moving on top. The Vitamix requires a bit more work in those cases. If the liquid is thinner, the Vitamix does not do this and spins fine. The Blendtec 4 qt 4 inch blade container is better in this regard even than the 3 qt 3 inch blade container. I don't have to push the food down much at all with the Blendtec. However, with the bit of extra effort, the Vitamix will end up blending just as well as the Blendtec.

9) Splashing - the Blendtec definitely splashes food more in the container than the Vitamix. Be sure to keep that lid on the Blendtec.

10) Guarantee - The Vitamix accepts a return within 30 days and pay for your shipping back:

Vitamix says:

"You get FREE return shipping as part of the Vitamix 30-day NO-RISK trial. Call Vitamix at 1-800-848-2649 for a pre-paid return shipping label. Contact Customer Service at 1-800-848-2649 option #2 to receive a Return Authorization Number."

Blendtec says this about their return policy:

"Any item purchased on [...] that is returned within 30 days of purchase is subject to inspection prior to a refund or credit being given. Shipping fees are non-refundable and in some cases a usage or restocking fee may apply. If a return is near the end of the 30-day satisfaction guarantee period, we ask that you please call a customer service representative so we can document what product is being returned. No refunds will be given after 30 days."

I have enjoyed them both. Both are great products. I like the Blendtec a little better in terms of performance, but the Vitacost did a good job, too. Vitacost customer service was really excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great company, but spring for the 5200, March 11, 2010
I ordered this product and was anxiously counting down the days until I received it in the mail. It was processed and shipped quickly, as always. I love Amazon! I did, however, return this. I discovered, after this shipped, that it is an older model no longer sold by Vita-Mix. I went on the Vita-Mix website to check things out. For just $40 more, I got the new fangled (refurbished) version with the variable speed (LOVE IT!!!) and the new lid design (heard that the old lids are hard to get off) PLUS a 7-year warranty and free shipping. The 4600 sold through Amazon only has a 5 year warranty and it's the older design. Why not pay an extra $40 and get the awesome higher powered 5200? I'm so happy I did. I'm sure I would have liked the 4600, but I would have kicked myself for taking the older model I think. LOVE the 5200. I use it every day, usually more than once. It is worth every penny. Buy one now and get healthy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vitamix 5000, March 11, 2009
I have had my Vitamix 5000 for 5 and 1/2 years and could not be happier with it. Not only does it blend full frozen bananas (see other review), the powerful motor can do a lot more.

We use our Vitamix primarily for smoothies and milkshakes, and have learned that as long as there is some liquid in the container with the ice cubes and frozen bananas it will blend all into a smooth drink with ease.

The machine is loud for sure, not something you can hold conversation over, but we've noted that it blends so quickly, that the moments it takes to liquify are over before we've forgotten what we would have said anyway.

Clean up is also amazing with the Vitamix. As the Vitamix reps demonstrate, all we've done to clean it up after is wipe down any smoothie residue on the outside of the spout, fill container 1/3-ish of the way up with warm/hot water and a drip of soap, then blend on high for 30-ish seconds. Every month or so I DO wash a bit more thouroughly with maybe a drip of bleach and a scrub brush. One thing to consider though, is the longer you leave your container dirty the harder it will be to clean after. If you just rinse right away, you're golden.

I cannot rave more highly about this machine. I'm sure that the multiple hundred dollar price tag is a turn off to most if not all, but consider the time saved as well as more options for healthy beverage alternatives! We've loved our Vitamix and you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5200 is newer and quiet, September 6, 2009
After serious comparison between this and the Healthmaster, I stuck with Vita-Mix 5200. Since the price of these "blenders" is quite hefty I didn't want to be left with a dud. I chose the Vita-Mix 5200 because it is sturdy and does not have the digit lights to worry about breaking down. It has more heft and power than the Healthmaster. The Vita-Mix 5200 (now selling) is very sturdy and quiet, giving one a sense of security knowing its not going to wobble all over and the motor will last. The bowl is very easy to clean and after several weeks of filling it to the top with ice cubes it still looks like new. It is fast. I have to be on the run sometimes, and always have my vegetables and fruits washed in advance so I can just pluck in whatever and in a nano second have a meal and be out the door. My shakes come out silky smooth, and soups hot. I find this to be a very basic machine without a bunch of extra buttons to contend with so less to breakdown and worry about.
I will add my Aunt who is well into her 90's and always advocated good health, has had one of these for as long as I can remember. She points out that she is the last one alive from her high school class and swears its because she always took vitamins and bought her Vita-Mix. I can remember her making my cousins and me what they now call "smoothies", back then they were just drinks. I am glad I picked this machine, it is very efficient and I feel, worth the money since it has a proven history. Buy the way, its made in the USA!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vita-Mix 5000 will rock your world!, May 15, 2009
Jennifer (Jacksonville, NC) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
* I am writing this review about the 5000 since it is an older model and I cannot find a better place to review it. I also wanted to include my pictures. *

I purchased this blender after the Cook's Illustrated "Best Buy" winner died (broke) after about a month of hard-core smoothie making...and instead of spending $5 a day on a smoothie, I bought this blender.

And I couldn't be happier.

This thing is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Yes, it's loud. VERY loud. But what it can do completely makes up for it. I had been considering the Blendtec, but went with the Vitamix because I wanted the plunger - and it indeed comes in very handy.

All I have made in this blender so far (and I have had it about two years) is smoothies and mixed drinks...and it excels at both. (I will be trying baby food in the near future.)

The most impressive thing is that you can throw in WHOLE PIECES OF FRUIT (stems, seeds, and all) and have it turn into a perfectly smooth smoothie (see user photos).

I highly HIGHLY recommend this blender, and think it will rock your world. You will never want to use a cheapo blender again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should it ever become legal to marry a machine, this will be my husband., July 31, 2011
I bought this machine over a month ago when our old processor/blender combo (different vessels with an interchangeable motor) burned out. I am 17, and I had been planning on saving up for a Vitamix for when I moved out and just living with our crappy combo until then. With my mother's permission (after giving her a very long rant on how awesome a Vitamix is), I searched for the best price all over the internet - Amazon, Overstock, Craigslist and eBay. This one, the Vitamix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor, was the best.
Now, of course on craigslist and eBay I found cheaper prices on Vitamix blenders, but for an unused, incredibly-powerful blender with a 5-year warranty (I think for a bit extra it can even be upped to 7) this price was the best.

I will now lay out the pros and cons, the latter of which are few.

Pros:

- The tamper. Whoever designed this tamper deserves a lifetime of happiness. Why don't ALL blenders come with a tamper? Seriously, my old Cuisinart's performance would have improved GREATLY had it come with a tamper. Instead, I'd have to blend on the highest setting and then turn it off, move stuff around with a spoon, and go again. The tamper greatly reduces blending time.

- You can make really, really thick things with this blender. I'm not one for watery smoothies - spoonable ones are best. I now make fruit smoothies so thick I just call them sorbets. You can also make nut butters, ice creams and when it becomes cooler out I'll be making some nice and thick soups in this.

- Things that normal blenders can't handle really do get obliterated in this. I don't like to blend for very long (long being over thirty seconds, haha) so sometimes things like raspberry and strawberry seeds won't get completely ground up, but if you were more patient they certainly would disappear (it's also much easier for the machine to grind them if the concoction is less thick). I absolutely LOVE that I can hide whole, raw carrots (no peeling or snipping off ends required) in my strawberry sorbets without affecting flavor or texture. When I'm in the mood for a more watery smoothie, I'll even add a whole cucumber to it (the taste might take some getting used to; I add some lemon juice to help with this, so it tastes like a lemon-berry smoothie).

- Clean up, as I was pleasantly surprised to find, is a breeze. If you just blend the dirty container in some hot water (sometimes I don't even bother with soap if it was just some fruit, veggies and water), it will be like brand-new. If you wait a while to clean it so that a simple rinse doesn't work, it's still not difficult to do. Just blend some hot water in it, let it sit for a few minutes with the top on so dried-on bits will absorb the water, pour the dirty water out, rinse it out, and take a clean cloth/paper towel/napkin and wipe off anything that didn't come off on its own (it won't take much effort). Give a final rinse and let it dry. Do occasionally give it a proper wash with soap and water in the sink, but it's not necessary most of the time.

- It works just as well as a food processor, perhaps even better because it makes it much smoother than a processor will.

- The top fits INTO the vessel, not ON it. This greatly reduces splashes and drips, as even if some liquid DOES get through the seal that the almost-airtight top creates, it will stay in the lip of the vessel and not go dripping down the sides.

- Although the price seems steep, I truly believe that it is cost-efficient, especially given how much I use it.

- You don't have to worry about burning out the motor, because it will turn itself off if it starts to get too stressed/overheated. This has only happened to me once, and it had been running for quite a while.

Cons:

- The "kickstart" can be a little harsh, even on the lowest setting. I understand that on Vitamix machines with more than 2 speeds, you can start it at an even lower setting, so the splash isn't as bad, but that's the only upside I see to those much more expensive machines - two speeds has worked fine for me. I don't mind it too much, but if you're using the tamper, you want to make sure that you press the tamper down, sealing the hole that it fits through, as you start the machine, otherwise you could end up with a mess on your hands if it splashes upon start-up.

- Grinding nut butters out of just whole nuts is really, really hard. I don't like to add oil to my nut butters, and water doesn't help at all. Even if I roast them beforehand to get the oils working, it just doesn't comply. To fix this I just buy salt-and-sugar-free almond butter (super cheap at Trader Joe's), add the whole container to the Vitamix, then add salt and loads of roasted nuts and seeds, like almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, walnuts, et cetera. It blends beautifully this way, so it's not a huge problem, but it is very difficult to manage otherwise. The few times I've strayed from the method have been unproductive.
That being said, grinding shredded coconut to make coconut butter is a BREEZE and it produces very smooth results that I haven't been able to get in the food processor.

- If you're making a thick, perhaps sticky product, like nut butter, and are trying to get it all out, it can take some effort. I usually remedy this by making something that will go well with what I've just made, like a smoothie. If not, you can just blend it with water and it'll go away; I just dislike that it can produce waste if you don't feel like eating something afterward to use up the stuff stuck in the container.

- The sound is a bit loud and bothersome, but thankfully it blends so quickly that you don't need to be subjected to the sound for very long.

- It's not sentient, which makes getting married to it really difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wished I had bought it a long time ago!, November 24, 2009
This is, no doubt, a very expensive piece of equipment for a home kitchen. But...I had a Cuisinart blender/food processor for a long time. We make smoothies every day: 1 type for my kids and 1 type for my husband and myself. Our blender got a workout. That being said, no matter how little or how much I put into the thing, it took FOREVER and I always felt like it was going to explode, I had to shake it to prevent the ingredients from getting logged and actually had to defrost any frozen fruit prior to using or it would not blend them thoroughly. And, it always bugged me that the machine was made in China. When I decided to look for a new one, I specifically did a search for a blender made in the USA and found Vita Mix. I researched and reviewed and decided to take the plunge given they have such a great warranty and also have such a great reputation. I called Vita Mix directly and they couldn't have been more pleasant to deal with. The woman answered every question I had in great and thorough detail. They had some 'specials' running and I mentioned that some of the things included weren't things I needed so she offered to replace them with some other items that I actually did need!
The machine arrived quickly and it was easy to use out of the gates. I use it for small batches and large batches of smoothies. Just make certain you use the tamper if you have a good deal of solid versus liquid in the blender. I haven't used it for juicing because I use a Champion brand juicer for that. I'm going to start making my own almond milk; the recipe book that comes with it is great and has a ton of recipes that are very practical/doable.
I noticed one of the reviewers mentioned the 'play'/movement of the container on the base of the machine. I definitely agree that there is a little movement, but I never thought twice about it. I stand there while it's mixing and just stabilize it a bit. I did notice that the rubber 'legs' were wearing a bit and called customer service to see if I was doing something wrong. They said it's normal but offered to ship me a replacement without my asking for it. Again, the customer service was great (which you should expect; you get what you pay for!). I also like knowing that I am buying a product that is made in the USA and not in China.
If you are even slightly on the fence, I recommend you get it. I used to dread using my old blender, cleaning it, etc. This one is a breeze to use. It's loud, but my 18 month old sleeps right through it every morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I'm "eating" vegetables again, amazing!, August 26, 2009
I didn't really do that much thinking before I bought this guy. It's one of my faults suppose: I'm a potentially dangerous impulse buyer. Particularly if I feel that it would help me accomplish personal objectives. I've heard great things about a green smoothie diet and figured I'd try it out, since I've already grown acclimated to the concept of incorporating smoothies into my diet. One thing lead to another (kind of a dumb phrase, check out what Brian Regan says about it on YouTube haha), and I eventually said to myself, "I think I want to try making smoothies at home instead of buying them for $6 bucks each." ...And I probably said it out loud while alone like a big loser.

I've been using my roommate's Oster blender for about 2 months and it worked decently but I always had to be cautious of what I put into the container. I put ice cubes in there but out comes a couple of smaller ice cubes. Sometimes the fruit wouldn't blend all the way so I had chunks (I remember one time it was hard barely ripe honeydew melon, that just tasted weird). One night I see a Youtube video about Vita-mix and the demonstration showed how it pretty much instantly liquified all its contents from pineapple cores to all those leafy greens. I knew I had to have it. When it finally arrived and I took it out of the box, it looked like one of those crazy blenders at Jamba Juice minus the cool sound shield. When I used it for the first time, I was in awe of the power and efficiency of this baby. Finally it seems, my roommate wouldn't have to worry about me ganking his blender anymore.

As a direct result, I've been incorporating more vegetables into my diet. I could never see myself going out of my way to do that if I restricted myself to solid foods. It's not that I particularly dislike vegetables, I was just never one of those people who could eat vegetables by themselves, especially if they weren't steamed/roasted, or covered with spoonfuls of delicious sweet salad dressing or marinade. But the moment I turned it on, I knew I had made a great investment. And the taste was great, mainly because I use a fruit base and some plain yogurt. The few times I had to switch it on and off, it was most likely due to my placement of key ingredients. Leafy greens on the bottom isn't an efficient configuration. But it did give me an excuse to use the cool plunger that it came with! Of course, I did feel a bit dirty as I was creating my vortex. I assure you, it's just a weird psychological thing with me, and had nothing to do with the Vita-Mix. I also have to note that as loud as the unit is, my roommate's $50 Oster blender was slightly louder. Since it takes less than a minute to break everything down anyway, the sound isn't a big deal.

This is not to say that it's impossible to adopt a green food lifestyle without this 2+ HP wonder, but it certainly makes your life much easier. It even comes with a spiral-bound notebook full of recipes that I can't wait to try out. Time will tell whether I improve my lifestyle but as far as getting more things into my diet, things I may not consciously eat in solid form, Vita-Mix makes it a non-issue. For post-workouts, a nice green smoothie is extremely refreshing anyway. I even drop in six solid ice cubes before turning it on. No problem, no remaining chunks...of anything really.

I suppose the only con so far that I can come up with is the lack of more settings. It's not really a con though. Who's to say that a blender should have a million different settings anyway, when many of them provide similar results? With this, the customization of how you want to process the food is up to you as you can manually pulse on/off as well as switch from low to high and vice versa depending on whether you're making chunky guacamole (which admittedly I haven't tried yet) or you're trying to completely pulverize a whole piece of fruit.

In short, I highly recommend this blender. Once you're spoiled, you may not go back to a cheap low power one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and more, February 28, 2010
First off, this review is for the Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500, not the 5200. I heard some people remark that the motor was a bit loud. Not an issue with me at all. It is recommended that you quarter apples before placing in the blender, and otherwise not filling it to the top before you start. Otherwise, this machine is a dream come true. I was never able to down vegetables even though they're an essential part of the diet. Not a problem any more with the Vita Mix. It blends quick and easy and I get a raw, healthy nutritious meal. My digestion has significantly improved as well. As for the crackpot that gave this machine a one star rating, I checked into his other ratings, and apparently he simply has issues with blenders. This is a five star machine all the way.

Oh, and for those of you considering the lesser priced Montel Williams HealthMaster, don't throw away your money. The reviews for that machine are terrible. This one is sturdy and will last for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, November 13, 2009
I used a friend's VitaMix 5200 for a few months, and I wasn't certain how I would like this one as it only has high and low speeds rather than the added gradual speed button. However, it's perfect for my needs. The only thing I need to remember is to hold the container tightly down when I turn it to high as it tends to "jump up." A breeze to clean. Totally worth the money.

Rate and Discover Movies