9,979
Size Name: 16 ouncesChange
Price:$13.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 19, 2014
Size Name: 16 ouncesVerified Purchase
I ordered this to use as a moisturizer on my face as my skin is very sensitive. I was looking for a natural and inexpensive product and this sounded like a good thing to try. I have been very happy with it. I mix a small bit with some jojoba oil...and put it on my face after showering. Best priced I've found on amazon is here; Jojoba Oil for Hair and Skin - 100 Percent Pure Cold Pressed Oil - No Fillers, Dyes or Artificial Ingredients of Any Kind - Made in the USA (3 bottles - 4 oz each)

It feels wonderful and leaves my skin feeling smooth all day. I use to have very dry skin and would break out with the worst case of acne almost on a weekly occurrence. The almond and coconut oil have been amazing. There are ton of other uses for them as well.

I use the coconut oil in the shower sometimes too. It has a wonderfully light coconut smell and leaves my hair conditioned and moisturized without any buildup. It rinses very easily and gives my hair that extra bounce. I will keep looking for more uses for these oils, I could go on forever how great they are but I won't! Instead I'll just say for what I've used them for so far, they've been just great!
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2013
Size Name: 16 ounces
I wanted to try out this product for the "skin/hair care" side of it, though this product is "pure" enough that a little in my soup or skillet creates a nice nutty aroma and mild taste - really good in this coconut curry soup I eat.

That said, I brought the jar into my bathroom to keep it there instead of for cooking (I'll purchase another one for the kitchen). The one negative I have with this product for skin is that it's so thick and hard, I really have to dig in there to get a bit; however, once it's in the palm of my hand, the warmth of my skin melts it quite quickly. It can feel a little heavy and greasy at first, and the scent of coconut makes me think of cooking and not "beauty product;" but I mixed it with a little of my regular hand/body lotion and that was the ticket - it smoothed on my skin quite nicely and created a kind of "sheen" like those starlets have on their skin as they walk the red carpet with an insipid grin. Mixing it toned down the coconut scent, too.

I did smooth it on my face, straight, and it did absorb quickly, and the scent of coconuts wasn't so strong after a few minutes. I have slightly sensitive skin with a little rosacea and the product didn't break me out or irritate my skin.

But! The best "beauty" use I had from this product that SOLD me, is what it did to my hair! One morning I smoothed the coconut oil on my hair, paying particular attention to the ends. I threw my hair up in a ponytail and left the coconut oil in for at least an hour and a half. I rinsed it out with very warm water and then I shampooed twice. When I stepped out of the shower, I realized I was going to be late for an appointment. I quickly combed my hair, dressed, jumped into my car, and let the opened windows dry my hair, every so often shaking it out and combing through with my fingers -- I couldn't believe it! by time I reached my appt 35 minutes away, my hair was soft and smooth - even with the wind hitting it - no blow-dryer - no brushing it out - when I returned from the appt - again the windows open blowing my hair all over creation, I brushed my hair and it was so soft and shiny and smooth. That sold me -- if I don't use this product for anything else, it's worth it for how it made my hair look and feel!

UPDATE! - I bought another container of this to use in the kitchen - omg! If you saute shrimp in it, you not only have the aroma of coconut, but the shrimp taste incredible! I also fry or scramble eggs with it - mmmmmm - this stuff is amazing.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 16 ounces
I use organic coconut oil on a regular basis whenever I want to sautée
vegetables. I have on hand another brand of organic coconut oil, but was very surprised when I opened the Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and smelled it. Even though most of the claims of the coconut oil are quite similar (not quite) the aroma of this oil was stronger, much the way I remember it when I was a youngster.

Viva Labs has gone all out on their certifications and one I usually don't see is the non-GMO Project verification and certification. This is a real plus in my book and could possibly account in part for the aroma. The coconut oil originates in the Philippines as does most of the organic coconut oil I'm seeing on the shelves now. Mind you, some people have fits because it comes in plastic containers, but simply transfer to your container of choice upon arrival. For those who want to know, it is at least BPA free.

CERTIFICATIONS:

► CCOF Organic
► Non-GMO verified
► USDA Organic

FEATURES:

► Free of pesticides, bleach, hexane, and trans fats
► USDA certified organic and non-GMO
► Unrefined, extra-virgin, cold-pressed
► MCTs for energy and weight management
► Suitable for vegans
► Delicious tropical aroma and taste

NOTE: This oil "may contain trace amounts of tree nuts, sesame seed, and peanuts"

There are several used for coconut oil from dietary supplementation, cooking, skin, and hair care. The hair care suggestion was very interesting: "Use as a restorative, all-natural hair mask by massaging 1 tablespoon into dry hair. Let sit for 1 - 2 hours, shampooing thoroughly afterwards."

I'll probably give it a try at some point, but my preference was to sautée that zucchini, an overabundant crop this year. FYI, coconut oil adds a marvelous taste to veggies and they were awesome. I baked the zucchini to finish cooking. When it's warm, the coconut will liquefy. Not to worry because when it cools down in will solidify again. When it's liquid, I simply use a ladle to scoop some out. Coconut oil has a long shelf life and I've yet to have any go rancid on me.

Whatever you decide to use the Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for, I'm sure you'll love it. Remember to transfer it to a glass container if you're so inclined (it's simply not practical to ship in glass). I'm a real fan of coconut oil and the first time I used it, I definitely figured out what all the hype was about. There are a couple of things I really like about the Viva and they are the non-GMO certification and that more aromatic smell that its nearest competitor.

SUPPLEMENT FACTS (abbreviated):

Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon (14g)
Servings Per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving:

Calories: 125

Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.7g

Cholesterol: 0mg

Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)

Lauric Acid: 7210mg
Caprylic Acid: 906mg
Capric Acid: 836mg

Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fat
Linoleic Acid (LA)

Omega-9 Monounsaturated Fat
Oleic Acid: 714mg

Sample provided for review.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 16 ounces
I use a lot of extra virgin coconut oil, so much that I usually buy the Nutiva 2-pack of 54-ounce jars. I tried Vitacost's and didn't like it as much as Nutiva, so I've stuck with the Nutiva and really had not planned to switch brands. When I was offered the opportunity to review the Viva Labs product, I agreed but was doubtful I was going to be swayed.

Well, let me tell you, when I opened up this coconut oil, I was amazed at the difference. This is an extra virgin coconut oil I could actually imagine myself taking by the tablespoonful, as was recommended by several health books my sister shared with me for people suffering from candida albicans infections. I've used my Nutiva for popping popcorn, cooking, and for skin care, but now I'm thinking I'll just use up the Nutiva for frying and go straight for the Viva Labs version for everything else. There's just no contest.

A great use for this coconut oil is as a butter replacement on toast. My Nutiva spreads and melts like one of those margarines that take a long time to melt; the Viva Labs spreads like softened butter and melts like a dream.

Price-wise, I've been spending about 47 cents an ounce for the Nutiva when I buy it in the big bulk pack. I was thinking that, at almost 62 cents an ounce for the 15-ounce container, the Viva Labs was more expensive—although I'd have to say it's worth it. But when I went to cost out some of the other Nutiva products, they ran as much per ounce if not more than the Viva Labs product.

I'm impressed enough that I'll be switching.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 16, 2015
Size Name: 16 ouncesVerified Purchase
I've been using this for about 2 years. I don't know how I ever lived without it!!!!! I use it for a hair mask once a week. My hair has never been more healthier!!!!! I use its as a moisturizer & to shave my legs with. I prefer using organic products over chemical infused products any day. I highly recommend! Great product & great price.
review image review image
on January 6, 2015
Size Name: 54 OunceVerified Purchase
** UPDATE ** 1/28/15

After contacting Amazon about my dissatisfaction, Amazon immediately refunded my money despite the fact that it was past the 30-day Prime window. I am very pleased with Amazon's performance in this matter.

I also received the comment below from Viva Labs. I contacted the company by email (no response) and by phone. On the phone, the customer service representative agreed to send me a complimentary bottle to replace the one that was spoiled. I received the new 54-oz replacement bottle in the mail today and was horrified to see that it was in even worse shape than the one I had originally. All of the oil at the bottom of the jar was yellow. There were large specks of debris (not coconut fibers) in the oil, and there was white mold growing on it! I cannot believe that this is the product replacement that was sent (I tried to post additional photos of this, but was unable to do so while updating my review). At least the first one went bad after a few months of use. This one arrived spoiled! I will not be purchasing any more products from Viva Labs. They clearly have a quality control problem.

-------------

** ORIGINAL POST ** 1/6/15

I ordered t​his item ​in a bulk size knowing that coconut oil has a decent shelf life and that I would use it fairly quickly. I usually order Nutiva brand, but the price and the description of this oil were right, so I decided to give Viva Labs a try; however, this item has​ ​turned rancid within only two months of receiving it and I still have more than half of the container left. I cannot believe it has gone bad this quickly. I have stored it properly and have used a clean utensil to transfer small amounts to other containers for daily use. It has all gone bad. The oil is now in a fully liquid state, but the oil is yellow. At the bottom of the container is a filmy, cloudy, stringy yellow substance that is spreading and rising upward (not the natural look of melting/solidifying coconut oil). The oil also has an off-putting smell. I have included a few pictures of the container (some against a white wall for comparison) and have tried to capture the phenomenon I just described. I cannot use this oil for cooking since I am afraid that it is unsafe. I do not know that I would feel comfortable using this oil even on hair or skin since it apparently has mold and/or other contaminants in it.

When I received this item, the "Best by" stamp was obscured but it looked to say "15 Aug." The lot number is #14227. I purchased it at the end of Oct. 2014 and it is now only the beginning of January 2015. It should have still been usable, but it absolutely is not. Since I bought it through Prime the 30-day return window has closed. I am a PhD student and throwing away this much money really hurts. I am very disappointed with the product and would not order from Viva Labs again. I will return to Nutiva since although it is more pricey, it appears to be of a much higher quality than Viva Labs.
on February 22, 2015
Size Name: 54 OunceVerified Purchase
I was happy with the product until I got to the bottom of the container and found it was an odd brown color. I've never seen this in any brand of coconut oil I've purchased. This has been keep in a cool, dry environment and used frequently. The only info that I've found online about the brown color is that it was likely strained through dirty filters by the processing plant. Also the term "Extra Virgin" is only used in olive oil and does not explain why this oil has a coconut smell versus those that do not. I've read from nutritional experts that it's a gimmick used to sell oil of lesser quality. Based on the brown stuff in my oil I am leaning toward believing them.
review image review image
on August 18, 2014
Size Name: 16 ouncesVerified Purchase
I bought this stuff after reading several articles about how amazing coconut oil is for skin, hair, etc. So i decided to try it. i am in LOVE!! I have had moderate acne for about 10 years, tried every single prescription cream, face wash, pill, you name it. In 10 years, NEVER has my skin had such a fresh, youthful, glowing, reduced-blemish look as it does now! I threw out all my acne cleansers and astringents and lotions full of silicic acid, benzyl peroxide, etc. My regimen now is all natural and very simple - I use natural make-up removing face wipes (I love Simple sensitive skin Radiance face wipes) then made my own apple cider vinegar toner (1 part ACV to 3 parts warm water) and finish with about a pea sized amount of this coconut oil in its solid form - just rub it in my hand, and in half a second it is in oil form, which I then use on my face. sounds crazy, using oil for acne, but it WORKS! i have never received so many compliments about my skin, and the word I keep hearing is that i am "glowing" and NO i am not pregnant lol. but it's fantastic, don't need to wear much makeup anymore. I also melt 4 tablespoons of my coconut oil in a cup of warm water and drink that each night, which promotes glowing skin and healthy hair from the inside out - read that it was Miranda Kerr's little secret, and she is a credible source on amazing hair & skin! when i want to use it on my hair, I do it a few different ways. If I can, I like to coat my hair with it LIBERALLY at night and apply a shower cap, leave it on overnight, then rinse thoroughly and shampoo & condition as normal in the morning. If I don't have time to leave it on overnight, I leave it on as long as possible before showering. Another way to use it is as a frizz-taming/silky hair serum, which has also saved me TONS of money. for a serum, you don't need much either. note**** when using on hair as conditioner, be sure to rinse THOROUGHLY. you may want to shampoo twice. if you leave TOO much in, your hair may end up a bit greasy. I just fix that with dry shampoo, but its easier to avoid greasiness. you'll notice too that your hair will never lather up as amazingly as it does after letting coconut oil sink in for a while - i love it so much! there isn't enough room to write about how much I love this stuff, and am so so glad I switched to this and don't have to pay crazy money for hair serums, face moisturizers, pills, etc. and the VALUE is amazing - it was so inexpensive, but saves me so much money because i'm not needing the other items i'm used to paying so much more for!!! lasts forever too. just love this stuff. will absolutely be buying again.
on December 5, 2014
Size Name: 32 OunceVerified Purchase
I purchased two 32 oz. jars. This is my first purchase of Viva Labs Coconut Oil.
After using approximately 1/4 of the first jar, I discovered that there was a large pocket of air....when I eliminated the air pocket, it looked as if I received only about 2/3 of the product.
Before I ordered these items, I read the Amazon customer reviews and noticed that some people commented about the air pockets, but I dismissed them because I thought that their orders were just anomalies....then the very first time that I try Viva Coconut Oil, I too discovered a large air pocket. I regret buying two jars now.
I have sent e-mails 3 times to Viva Labs Customer Service (amazon@vivalabs.com, provided by Customer Service in response to other dissatisfied customers.) I've never received even an acknowledgement that they saw my e-mail. I didn't call the Viva phone number provided in these comments because I didn't want to go through another torturous customer service phone call.
I'm satisfied with the quality of this product but I'm extremely dissatisfied with the quantity. Four stars for the quality, ONE STAR FOR THE QUANTITY and one star for customer service.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2015
Size Name: 16 ouncesVerified Purchase
I rub this everywhere....I mean EVERYWHERE! I put this in my hair, I mix a bit of this with tea tree oil and use it as a natural deodorant, I cook with it, I put it in my smoothies, I put it on my skin, I do oil pulling with it, I use it as an after shower moisturizer, I use it as shaving oil, ect. Ugh I love this stuff

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations