Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon March 21, 2005
After years of second-generation VHS releases, "Viva Las Vegas" (1964) finally can be seen in a widescreen format. This Elvis Presley-Ann Margret musical looks and sounds great on DVD — and you also get the original trailer. With director George Sidney at the helm, it's easy to see why "Viva Las Vegas" is considered one of Presley's best films.
on August 3, 2002
Perhaps his best musical comedy, in Viva Las Vegas Elvis was finally teamed with a co-star whose talent matched the intensity of his own style. Ann Margret plays Rusty Martin who perfectly compliments Elvis's character of Lucky Jackson. Lucky is a race car driver who is in desperate need of a new engine for his car. He arrives in Las Vegas for the Vegas Grand Prix and runs into Count Elmo Mancini (Cesare Danova) who is his rival on and off the track and are both competing for the affection of Rusty. Rusty works at the same hotel as Lucky, who throughout the film is trying to raise money to repair his car. Rusty is reluctant to become seriously involved with Lucky because of the dangers of his occupation. Eventually, she changes her mind and assists him in his last-minute efforts to complete his repairs. Lucky lives up to his name and wins the Grand Prix.
Viva Las Vegas is perhaps best remembered for the romance between Elvis Presley and Ann Margret. The romance was played out on front pages of the newpapers after the two were noticed attending restaurants and nightclubs together in Las Vegas.
Unfortunately, the romance between these two high-profile stars
did not survive the production of the film. Rumours about as to what split them up, ranging from Elvis's relationship with Priscilla Beaulieu to Ann Margret's hasty confession to the press that she and Elvis were engaged. Though the relationship did not work out in the long term, Elvis and Ann Margret remained friends for the rest of his life. According to Ann Margret, Elvis sent her flowers in the shape of a guitar on the opening night of every one of her Las Vegas engagements.
on October 22, 2008
Most everyone is familiar with this movie so I don't have much in the way of comment except to say that it is a fun bit of Elvis fluff. The remastered and restored blu-ray transfer is outstanding. This, with a widescreed, HD TV very nearly duplicates the theater going experience.
on February 18, 2008
I SAW THIS MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 1964 WHILE I WAS IN THE SERVICE
THEN SAW IT ON OCCASION ON CABLE...........AND I BELIEVE I RENTED THE OLD DVD ONCE OR TWICE...........WELL WATCHING THE BLU RAY RELEASE OF THIS MOVIE IS LIKE SEEING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.........THE COLOR ,SHARPNESS,(1080p) AND THE ADDITION OF DOLBY TRUE 5.1.......IN THIS RELEASE IS MIND BLOWING.........THERE IS THE ORIGINAL TRAILER AS WELL AS OTHER EXTRAS SUCH AS A RUNNING COMMENTARY BY A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE COMMENTATOR.......THE SURROUND IN THE CAR RACE IS UNREAL......I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS THE SAME MOVIE THAT I SAW WAY BACK WHEN.......AND ELVIS AND ANN...........LOOK OUTSTANDING..............BUY THIS BLU RAY......
YOU WILL TRUELY ENJOY IT.........REMEMBER WHAT I SAID YOU HAVENT SEEN THIS MOVIE TILL YOUVE SEEN THE BLU RAY RELEASE.........YOU WILL THANK ME..........
on July 5, 2004
I'm all about Elvis. I'm 24 and my room is covered in his pictures. I LOVE this movie. I think personally that it's one of his best. I could sit here and watch him sing and move and never get tired of him. My favorite scenes are 1. when he's singing "The Lady Loves Me". And 2. when he's on her dance stage singing "My Baby Loves Me". Of course also when he performs the title song. I hope all avid Elvis fans have this movie in their collection.
on December 10, 2012
This is my favorite Elvis movie. I like seeing 'Old Vegas', & the music is really good, especially the title track & Ann-Margret is one of the classiest & sexiest women of all time. What a sweetheart she is. The Blu-Ray quality on this movie I thought was pretty darn good. One of the better one's I have seen. Minimal grain & the color is beautiful. I can only say that the audio came across really nice considering I listen through external speakers run through my old fashioned stereo. Nothing fancy. For a 50 year old movie this came out really good. I can't recall ever seeing this movie quite like this. If you are an Elvis or Ann-Margret fan, you should add this to your collection. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I saw Viva Las Vegas at a first-run theater in May 1964, just two weeks before I graduated from high school. Elvis was in his prime, as was Ann-Margret, and in my opinion, it's one of his best films. It's also a great trip down Memory Lane for baby boomers, showing the music and dancing of the mid-1960s, as well as the clothes, the hairstyles, and the culture of the era, just before the country underwent a radical transformation over the next decade. There's also some great background scenery of Las Vegas, both downtown and the Strip (which was in the very early stage of development in 1964).

The racing scenes that come at the end of the movie are pretty good, although don't try to follow the continuity - in one scene, Elvis will be leading the pack, then a moment later, he's trying to move up to take the lead. And as the racers coming from Las Vegas cross Hoover Dam, they're actually coming from the Arizona side. Never mind that, just go with the flow and enjoy it all.

It's a "must see" for Elvis fans, and a pretty good movie for most anyone. Young people will probably get a good laugh at how their grandparents dressed and danced a half-century ago.
on December 6, 2002
As I sat in my film class, the intructor informed us about a change in the syllabus. We were going to view "Viva Las Vegas" instead of "Cabaret." I didn't know if this film was worth watching since I have never Watched an Elvis Presley film before. When the film finished, let me tell you, it was the best 86 minutes of my life. I'll be honest with you, the film has a cheesy plot, but with the integration of the musical scores "The Lady Loves Me," "Lova My Baby," and "Viva Las Vegas," to mention a few, the director was able to transform the cheesy plot into an entertaining musical that takes the viewer into a galloping and pulsating adventure of racecar racing and heart pounding sheer pleasure. What makes this film stand out above all musicals of the 60's era? Its the superb acting performances by Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret portraying Lucky Jackson and Rusty Martin and its brilliant Musical Scores. I strongly recommend this cat-and-mouse game musical to anybody that really appreciates great musical. Let me say that I am a proud owner of this fabulous film, which sits in my collection as of we speak. If not for my instructors change in syllabus, I would not have ever been introduced to this fantastic musical. OH what a tragedy!!! the only disappointment that I have with the DVD version that I purchased is the sound quality. Its not what I expected considering it be digital version, but this will not keep me from watching and enjoying this wonderful musical. Now, the million dollar question is, does boy get girl at the end? Rent or buy the movie and find out....ENJOOOOOOY!
on March 2, 2016
It's that go-go guy and that bye-bye gal ... So went the ad and poster copy back in the day for Presley's biggest movie hit of the Sixties. Elvis and Ann-Margret make the perfect screen couple in this brief (under 90 minutes) and breezy romp, helmed by the great George Sidney (who had just directed A-M to movie stardom in Bye-Bye, Birdie). Solid character actor Cesare Danova brings along his subtle Latin lover vibe; William Demarest (Uncle Charlie of TV's My Three Sons) delivers his usual quota of cranky laughs; and Nicky Blair makes a fine comic foil/sidekick for EP. The soundtrack is one of Elvis' best of the era, a nice blend of original ballads (Today, Tomorrow and Forever; I Need Somebody to Lean On), made-to-order movie rockers (If You Think I Don't Need You; C'mon, Everybody), and the massively successful double-a-side lead single (Viva Las Vegas c/w What'd I Say?). Which begs the question, why was there no original soundtrack album released back in '64 in conjunction with the film to capitalize on its big box-office success? Who dropped the ball at RCA back in the day?
on May 7, 2015
If you like Ann Margret and Elvis Presley, then you will probably enjoy this fluff romp from the 60s. I like both actors so I enjoyed this film. However, it ends very abruptly. Supporting cast is also very good. Elvis is surprising funny in this movie. Keep in mind that this is a 60s film before you judge the film quality and story line.