4.0 out of 5 stars Widescreen Delight
After years of second-generation VHS releases, "Viva Las Vegas" (1964) finally can be seen in a widescreen format. This Elvis Presley-Ann Margret musical looks and sounds great on DVD - and you also get the original trailer. With director George Sidney at the helm, it's easy to see why "Viva Las Vegas" is considered one of Presley's best films.
Published on March 21, 2005 by Scott T. Rivers

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I look for in an Elvis Movie
Namely, kitchy and fun. I highly recommend this movie, but it is not a cinematic masterpiece, so can't give it more than 3 stars.

Published on December 27, 2004 by Gina Bianchini

4.0 out of 5 stars Widescreen Delight, March 21, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Las Vegas, August 3, 2002
Mike Kurosky (Rosston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)
Perhaps his best musical comedy, in Viva Las Vegas Elvis was finally teamed with a co-star whose talent matched the intensity of his own style. Ann Margret plays Rusty Martin who perfectly compliments Elvis's character of Lucky Jackson. Lucky is a race car driver who is in desperate need of a new engine for his car. He arrives in Las Vegas for the Vegas Grand Prix and runs into Count Elmo Mancini (Cesare Danova) who is his rival on and off the track and are both competing for the affection of Rusty. Rusty works at the same hotel as Lucky, who throughout the film is trying to raise money to repair his car. Rusty is reluctant to become seriously involved with Lucky because of the dangers of his occupation. Eventually, she changes her mind and assists him in his last-minute efforts to complete his repairs. Lucky lives up to his name and wins the Grand Prix.
Viva Las Vegas is perhaps best remembered for the romance between Elvis Presley and Ann Margret. The romance was played out on front pages of the newpapers after the two were noticed attending restaurants and nightclubs together in Las Vegas.
Unfortunately, the romance between these two high-profile stars
did not survive the production of the film. Rumours about as to what split them up, ranging from Elvis's relationship with Priscilla Beaulieu to Ann Margret's hasty confession to the press that she and Elvis were engaged. Though the relationship did not work out in the long term, Elvis and Ann Margret remained friends for the rest of his life. According to Ann Margret, Elvis sent her flowers in the shape of a guitar on the opening night of every one of her Las Vegas engagements.

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have been born 60 years ago..., July 5, 2004
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)
I'm all about Elvis. I'm 24 and my room is covered in his pictures. I LOVE this movie. I think personally that it's one of his best. I could sit here and watch him sing and move and never get tired of him. My favorite scenes are 1. when he's singing "The Lady Loves Me". And 2. when he's on her dance stage singing "My Baby Loves Me". Of course also when he performs the title song. I hope all avid Elvis fans have this movie in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Release Sept. 2007, October 22, 2008
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Most everyone is familiar with this movie so I don't have much in the way of comment except to say that it is a fun bit of Elvis fluff. The remastered and restored blu-ray transfer is outstanding. This, with a widescreed, HD TV very nearly duplicates the theater going experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars VIVA LAS VEGAS BLU RAY DVD, February 18, 2008
OILMAN "OWEN" (bayside, new york United States) - See all my reviews
I SAW THIS MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 1964 WHILE I WAS IN THE SERVICE
THEN SAW IT ON OCCASION ON CABLE...........AND I BELIEVE I RENTED THE OLD DVD ONCE OR TWICE...........WELL WATCHING THE BLU RAY RELEASE OF THIS MOVIE IS LIKE SEEING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.........THE COLOR ,SHARPNESS,(1080p) AND THE ADDITION OF DOLBY TRUE 5.1.......IN THIS RELEASE IS MIND BLOWING.........THERE IS THE ORIGINAL TRAILER AS WELL AS OTHER EXTRAS SUCH AS A RUNNING COMMENTARY BY A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE COMMENTATOR.......THE SURROUND IN THE CAR RACE IS UNREAL......I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS THE SAME MOVIE THAT I SAW WAY BACK WHEN.......AND ELVIS AND ANN...........LOOK OUTSTANDING..............BUY THIS BLU RAY......
YOU WILL TRUELY ENJOY IT.........REMEMBER WHAT I SAID YOU HAVENT SEEN THIS MOVIE TILL YOUVE SEEN THE BLU RAY RELEASE.........YOU WILL THANK ME..........

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva La Presley, December 6, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)
As I sat in my film class, the intructor informed us about a change in the syllabus. We were going to view "Viva Las Vegas" instead of "Cabaret." I didn't know if this film was worth watching since I have never Watched an Elvis Presley film before. When the film finished, let me tell you, it was the best 86 minutes of my life. I'll be honest with you, the film has a cheesy plot, but with the integration of the musical scores "The Lady Loves Me," "Lova My Baby," and "Viva Las Vegas," to mention a few, the director was able to transform the cheesy plot into an entertaining musical that takes the viewer into a galloping and pulsating adventure of racecar racing and heart pounding sheer pleasure. What makes this film stand out above all musicals of the 60's era? Its the superb acting performances by Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret portraying Lucky Jackson and Rusty Martin and its brilliant Musical Scores. I strongly recommend this cat-and-mouse game musical to anybody that really appreciates great musical. Let me say that I am a proud owner of this fabulous film, which sits in my collection as of we speak. If not for my instructors change in syllabus, I would not have ever been introduced to this fantastic musical. OH what a tragedy!!! the only disappointment that I have with the DVD version that I purchased is the sound quality. Its not what I expected considering it be digital version, but this will not keep me from watching and enjoying this wonderful musical. Now, the million dollar question is, does boy get girl at the end? Rent or buy the movie and find out....ENJOOOOOOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ann-Margret beautiful and sexy, February 23, 2008
Anonymous "p.g." (Girona, Catalogne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I was seventeen I fell madly in love with Ann-Margret after seen this film. It is a funny film plenty of good music of the sixties. Is a classic Elvis Presley film, but, for my taste, the better (perhaps Ann-Margret has something to do with that).
The blu-ray looks terrific and sounds very good (you must think that is a 1964 film).

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I look for in an Elvis Movie, December 27, 2004
Gina Bianchini "Gina" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)

It is colorful, full of songs, dancing, great costumes, and, as an another reviewer put it, void of a plot. If you like Elvis movies, this last point isn't a problem. These movies are a counterbalance to my love of crime dramas, so I just appreciate them for what they are: fun movies from a seemingly more innocent time.

If you like Viva Las Vegas, also try Blue Hawaii. It is another great one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Presley with Ann-Margret, a dynamite combo!, June 11, 2006
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)
VIVA LAS VEGAS is the quintessential Elvis Presley musical, filled with great songs and not to mention his most formidable female costar, Ann-Margret at the very height of her 'sex kitten' phase.

Just like many of his other movie roles, Presley plays race-car driver Lucky Jackson, who gets stranded in Vegas when his money runs out. He meets beautiful swimming instructor Rusty (Ann-Margret) and the sparks immediately start flying. The director George Sidney had already guided Ann-Margret through her first major starring vehicle "Bye Bye Birdie", and had also helmed many of the great M-G-M musicals. He brought a great touch to VIVA LAS VEGAS which is one of the main reasons why so many people love this movie, even those who aren't too keen on Elvis. The musical numbers (choreographed by veteran Broadway and Hollywood dancer David Winters) are plentiful but the highlights include "Yellow Rose of Texas", "The Lady Loves Me", "Today, Tomorrow and Forever" and the Title Song. Ann-Margret also gets to sizzle with the elaborately-designed and jazzily-choreographed "Appreciation". Also featuring Cesare Danova, William Demarest and Nicky Blair.

4.0 out of 5 stars HECK YEAH!, April 8, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Viva Las Vegas (DVD)
Evis hits the screen-he sings-he loves- he dances- and he fights, what else could you ask for! In this story Elvis is a down and out car racer that needs to get a new engine. Low on dough he strikes up a budding romance with ann-margret. Soon the whole screen is being blown apart with Elvis tunes and his fists! He rolls in the new engine and kicks booty all across the racetrack as he streaks to victory. Ann is a waitin and the big song at the end will blow you doors off. Thank you.... Thank you very much.

Viva Las Vegas
Viva Las Vegas by George Sidney (DVD - 2000)
$14.98 $5.99