4.0 out of 5 stars FUN Zoo Management Game
I love zoo games, and so I eagerly picked up this new zoo game for $20. I'm impressed with the graphics, but disappointed that the elephants don't stampede park visitors when placed outside the fences and cages. The reason for the -1 star is because the interface is counter-intuitive.

Published on August 9, 2011 by Joey Vogel

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Software
Published 16 months ago by J.S.L. Hennigan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN Zoo Management Game, August 9, 2011
Joey Vogel (Oakley, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)

The first five campaigns are overwhelming, because there's a lot of menus and buttons to learn all at once. The animals, and plants, have specific climate and ground-type preferences like grass, soil, and savannah grass. More animals and plants become available as the attractiveness goes up, represented by a 5-star scale. You increase your star rating with more animals, and satisfying the needs of the park visitors. The visitors need restrooms, shopping and dining facilities, trash cans, and benches to rest. These can be upgraded as you gain more stars. You charge admission to the park, and for a majority of the facilities within the park. It's a challenge to charge just the right amount to balance profit and customer satisfaction.

Another challenge is that animals can become sick, and die if not taken care of properly. They will haunt and spook your park visitors as animal ghosts! Actually I'm just kidding about that last part.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun playing the campaigns because they have varied and interesting objectives within them. You might have to get a 5-star park rating, breed a certain animal, earn a certain amount of money, or keep customer satisfaction very high in order to meet the objective. You can also create your own zoo park apart from the campaigns!

For 20 bucks... definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fun park, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
Great game lost my zoo tycoon disc so this replaces it a little different play but still is a good replacement

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Software, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
I was excited to try this out because I loved Zoo Tycoon. The game seemed very promising, nice graphics, complex but satisfying gameplay, etc. Then it started crashing. My laptop more than meets the graphics specs, the game ran very smoothly on high settings, but the game crashes every time after about 10 minutes of playing. It just says "Wildlife Park 3 has stopped working." I went on the company's website and they released 2 patches for it that are supposed to fix this problem and others, but when I tried to run the patches it said "Wildlife Park 3 is not installed". What? So now I have this game that I can't really play. At least it was only $10.

3.0 out of 5 stars This game is ok. It is really confussing and hard to play., June 29, 2014
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
This game is not at all what I expected it to be. I used to love playing Zoo tycoon and I thought this might be an upgrade from that program. It is not at all like it. I did not say it was terrible, because it is a great learning game for kids. Overall it is an ok game, but wish I would have downloaded Zoo Tycoon instead.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong game, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
This game is actually Wildlife Park 3 download. Other than that it is a pretty good game. Hint would be it runs slow on fast or semi fast speed, but runs fine on pause or normal time. A lot more integrated than zoo tycoon. This game is geared more towards an older crowd than zoo tycoon. Did take an hour to download though even on quick internet speed, so a good idea would be to buy the disk. Therefore, give this game a try, but do not skip the tutorial, and if you get stuck click on the tasks button on the top right bar and it will tell you exactly what to do.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 23, 2014 9:00:55 AM PDT
My best guess... And I could be somewhat wrong! Is that some games we publish in the North American territory are named differently then their overseas counter parts for legal reasons. The same is true for some of our game packs we sell like 700,000 Games where you may see titles in there you have recognized before but under a different name. Still the same game however.

As for the disk corruption issue, that happens once in awhile and we send customers new copies of the game upon testing defects .

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions..., December 29, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
I don't generally post reviews based on initial impressions, especially reviews this of this length, but given the many bad reviews for this game, I felt compelled to post my first impressions after trying the demo, and ultimately deciding to purchase the game, despite the reviews.

For those that don't wish to read the details, my quick synopsis is that if you are looking for a simple "tycoon" type game, look elsewhere. If however you are looking for a game which offers elements of the "tycoon" genre with a very robust wildlife management component, this game might be for you. Read on for the details if you're interested.

Setup - 5/5:

Downloading the game from Amazon's service was as easy as clicking the link, running the amazon downloader app, selecting an alternate location, and waiting for the game setup files to download. Overall the speed was fast, as it only took about 25 minutes to download the 3GB files. Setup itself took about 5 minutes and I was able to select my own folder for installation without issue.

A quick note on a complaint many reviewers have mentioned:

The manual is accessible while you are installing the game. Simply run the setup file, click on the "Game Manual" link and a PDF copy of the manual will open, which you can then save to a more convenient location. The manual itself explains the various elements of the menu, maps, settings, and other pertinent in-game items. It's by no means comprehensive, but I found that it would have given me the introduction I needed in order to begin, had I read it before playing the game.

Interface and Controls - 3/5:

I separated this category because there were so many complaints about it, and honestly: I'm not too sure that it deserves the bad ratings. Yes the interface is clunky, especially when compared to some of the older zoo tycoon games, but given this game's depth over those other games, I think it's appropriate. As some others have already commented, even without reading the manual, you can hover your mouse over almost any element of the menu or buttons and a tool-tip will appear, giving basic information about its function. The time it takes a tool-tip to appear can also be modified in the options, which means tool-tips can appear instantly, if you so wish.

Additionally, the tutorial of the first campaign does a great job at establishing the basics of gathering information. Is there a shovel icon above the tree? Then left-clicking the tree will bring an information panel, with "thoughts" on what the tree is feeling (in my case, the ground was too hard). The information panel also provides a plethora of information on EVERYTHING, from the walkways, to the vending machines, to the plants, to the animals, and yes, even the ground. Without reading the manual, it took me only a few minutes to familiarize myself with the various buttons, and the tutorial campaigns helped immensely.

From that point, the information panels gave me most of what I needed in order to progress to more advanced tasks. I will admit, that they could have made icons appear more intuitive (for instance, the "more information" button), but again, hovering the mouse over a button I was unfamiliar with quickly solved that problem. Also, the game's method of highlighting a button is to make it "jump" slightly, which isn't always noticeable, but once I started looking for it, that too was not a problem.

If you've recently played any "top-down" games, such as real-time strategy, or "god" games, (e.g., SimCity), then the controls will seem very familiar. Left-click selects and right-click clears. Navigation is the standard edge-to-edge, and I was pleasantly surprised that they also included the standard a,w,s,d controls for moving around. You can navigate your park either from the traditional top-down, or you can zoom into first-person (mouse wheel) and actually walk around your own park! Rotation is handled by pressing down on the middle mouse wheel and moving the mouse around, which again is pretty standard for these types of games.

It should be noted that measurements, such as temperature and weight are displayed in metric. Unfortunately I was unable to find options to customize controls or localization, but measurement aside, the controls are standard, so I really don't see this as a major issue. Finally it should be noted that the first tutorial campaign covers all of this and more.

Gameplay - ?/5:

I don't feel it's really fair for me to review this aspect of the game at such an early point; however after playing the first few campaigns, I feel I have a grasp on the basics of the game. Campaigns by the way are what we would call scenarios in the states. The first scenario establishes you as an intern in a budding African preserve, where you will learn the basics of wildlife management. This scenario not only teaches you the basics of movement, but helps you to learn about the animals and plants (that second part is just as important), and also the available tools for your environment.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the tutorial sessions are narrated, meaning I don't have to read through the text if I don't feel like doing so. The voice acting was sufficient enough to keep me engaged in learning the about the different tools and options at my disposal. Scenarios 2-4 continue to progress the storyline, teaching you about staff management, profitability and eventually leading up to owning your own park and developing goals to run a park effectively. Again too early to call, but these first four campaigns provided enough information for me to understand the basics of the game.

Goals in the game are presented as tasks, and most task-related items are highlighted on the main screen with a subtle hue. In fact, this hue is so subtle that it took me a while to actually realize it existed! Because of this, tasks can seem frustrating at first, because a specific condition is not met. However, I found that carefully listening to the narrator resolves most of the issues.

I feel the scripting could have been a bit more relaxed, in that "close" is not going to satisfy a task in this game. In order to progress through certain areas, specific or complete success is a necessity. For instance, if your task is to provide the Gazelle with a place to scratch, then every Gazelle in the herd must be satisfied by this new object in order for you to progress to the next step. Considering the speed at which certain animals approach a new object, especially if they are skittish, the task take a while to complete. Fortunately, there is a fast forward button, up to x2 and x3 speed for such situations, if you feel so inclined.

Environment - 5/5:

THIS is why I considered the game to begin with. Previous tycoon games provided a "cartoonish" experience which, while it may have been great for my 5-year old niece, didn't really provide enough depth to keep me hooked. The environment in this game is amazing. They have an almost overwhelming choice of locations, and as the options open up, the number of animals and environments you can manage is equally impressive. The textures while exploring my parks in first-person were sharp and bright. So much so that I could walk up to a vending machine and actually read the brand of drink on the selection buttons!

The ambient sounds are amazing. The Zebras sound like Zebras, same with the Gazelle, Elephants, and every other creature I've placed in my parks to this point. The music is generally appropriate for the location and not overbearing or annoyingly repetitive. I also like the fact that this particular game has weather. I've not played it enough to know if weather has an actual effect on environment, so I won't comment on that aspect of the game, save to say that weather, while not particularly show-stopping, does look appropriate in this game. My park in sunshine generally felt much different from my park during a rain storm.

The animals themselves look amazing! The coats of fir are detailed and sharp, and the animals blink, snort, jump, run and even twitch an ear or tail from time-to-time. Unfortunately they do occasionally clip an object when interacting. For instance, a Gazelle interacting with a salt lick would sometimes mean its head went into the rock, but given the level of detail they've put into these animals, I'd say such things are forgivable. I also love the way the animals interact with new objects within their environment. Deer-type creatures may approach apprehensively and look about nervously, while a Panda will simply meander, sniff and either use or ignore the object, just like I'd expect a real animal to react!

I will say that while some animal interactions, such a baby animals with their mothers or the herd, are absolutely adorable, other interactions such as mating, while amazingly realistic, may not be exactly appropriate for children of a certain age. Examples like this and more however, is why I believe the environment alone makes this game worth trying.

Performance - ?/5

Considering the majority of the complaints tend to be when parks get really big and the number of visitors are greatly increased, I can't comment on overall performance. However, I will say that using the maximum in-game settings produces a smooth experience on my main rig (i7 3.2GHz, 8GM RAM, NVIDA GeForce 660, 1280 x 720 resolution). I also set the in-game antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to minimum and enhanced or overrode the in-game settings through the NVIDA control panel and it was even faster. I will say that while in-game my GPU meter jumped to roughly 60% usage on a small park, so even though it's an older game, it tends to require adequate hardware to run smoothly at the highest settings. The good news is that the game looks spectacular at this level of detail.

A few things to note:

This game is identical to Wildlife Park 3: setup, layout, even the manual (although arranged differently). The only difference seems to be the "Tycoon" title adapted for the US box, and the addition of Games for Windows Live, which I'm glad to report, is not a part of the game itself. In fact, the title screen is Wildlife Park 3, identical to the available English demo of this game.

Bottom Line:

The reviews are right, in that if you are looking for a more simplistic "zoo tycoon" model, there are other games that do a much better job. However playing through the various campaigns, I'm starting to realize that this game is just as much, if not more, about wildlife management. In fact, I actually learned quite a few things while having to balance the habitat for my animals, and I hope to pass this learning experience on to my kids when they play! If that sounds like something you'd like to experience as well, then I highly recommend this game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what I expected, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
Wasn't what I expected it to be. The game was hard to navigate and graphics kinda sucked a bit too.

1.0 out of 5 stars It was very hard to manuver and slow playing. I would not recommend. I'm just sorry I waited too long to ask for a refund., September 1, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as fun as I expected., August 10, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
Not user friendly. Not that exciting to play as I remember the first one was. At times challenging figuring out what to do and how to do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Park Tycoon [Download] (Software Download)
This is a great game especially for those of us who love animals. I love the challenge of the campaign trails and the freeplay mode is wonderful. My only complain is that the game does not have such a wide variety of animals as I would have liked to see like zoo tycoon. However. I have not seen a downloadable version of zoo tycoon 2

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›