4.0 out of 5 stars Digital Lomo Like A Leica

3.0 out of 5 stars Vivitar T-327
Published on July 29, 2011 by Richard Marriott

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital Lomo Like A Leica, January 2, 2012
Arch Stanton (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivicam Retro Classic 12.1MP Digital Camera T327 Black (Camera)
Alright, i must admit that I bought this camera for the looks, knowing full well that it wasn't exactly high quality stuff. I wanted a "poser" camera that had a retro look like the Fuji X10, but was inexpensive enough that i didn't have to worry about it being stolen. I kept my expectations to a minimum, and to my surprise, it's actually quite fun to shoot with. First - the flaws. Yes, there is a bluish (some say greenish) tint to all of the pictures. I imagine some kind of cheap CMOS sensor being used in this camera, and the ISO goes up to only 400. But more on that later. The autofocus is not exactly fast nor is it particularly accurate. Only about 90% of my shots were in proper focus. The viewfinder, although a welcome change from the viewfinder-less cameras of today, was of the non zooming type, unfortunately. That is, when you use the zoom, the optical viewfinder does not zoom with you. So the only way to accurately frame the shot when you go telephoto is to use the LCD screen. No big deal, but more on that later as well. I can't comment on battery life much at the moment, but i imagine it not being great due to the fact that there's no way to turn off the LCD screen. So even if you're using the optical viewfinder, the LCD shines in your face no matter what.

Now, for the fun part! I imagine this camera as kind of like a digital Lomo, one that takes only B+W pictures (say Tri-X or something similar), so I set the camera to B+W mode and BAM! greenish/bluish tint problem is solved! This is now my dedicated B+W digital camera. It's fitting because it has the retro look to go with it as well. And when i turn the camera off and turn it back on again, the B+W setting remains. Good! Shooting digitally in B+W has never been this fun! I do this up front instead of shooting in color and converting to B+W later because it makes me focus on the lines, shadows, and composition knowing that everything I capture is going to be in B+W. This is true when you are shooting film as well - the mindset is different when you're shooting B+W film versus when you're shooting color film.

Now, the lens claims to be f/2.8 at 36mm equivalent, which is pretty close to the classic wide angle lenses seen on those famous rangefinder cameras. That's why i don't use the zoom much, so Bam! - non-zooming viewfinder is not an issue. And f/2.8 isn't bad - it does decently when shooting outdoors up until dusk (Heck it even does pretty well indoors at ISO400 as long as you have a decently lit room. And by shooting in B+W mode, you don't have to worry about white balance at all). Compare that to the Fuji X10, which costs over $1,000 and you only get a one stop advantage (f/2.0). That, and it doesn't even have a zoom!

So all that being said, I still think this camera is pretty decent in terms of performance as long as you know its limitations. It's not quite up to par with the mainstream name brands in terms of image quality, but then again I wasn't really expecting it to be - coming from Vivitar/Sakar and all. By the way, I hate shooting in 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm shooting at 7 megapixels in the "HD" wide format, which is 3648x2048 (AR = ~1.8) When I got mine, I immediately took a small flat screwdriver to the obnoxious (and huge) Vivitar logo in the front and removed it (it's glued on with some kind of rubber cement). Now it looks awesomely classy/retro. The fake leather covering is surprisingly soft and looks great too. And now I'm having a blast taking digital B+W photos!

3.0 out of 5 stars Vivitar T-327, July 29, 2011
Richard Marriott (Santa Barbara, CA, US) - See all my reviews
OK so its not, a Leica M9 or even M8, or any camera a professional photographer might use and its smaller then a real Leica, and it says Vivitar on it, but it is a fun camera. Because it kind of looks kind a Leica, and it has a view finder. The view finder is the key here, try and find a average quality Digital camera with a view finder. Not lately for less the $450 for Nikon, or Canon cameras. From there you jump to $1200 for a fixed lens Fuji fine pix 100, then to $2500 Epson, variable lens then to real digital Leica M8 used for $3000. The reason is a view finder is valuable because out in bright sunlight situations sometimes you can't see anything in the digital screen, but looking through a viewfinder you can size up your potential photograph, even in bright sunlight . The camera quality seems equal to my other small digital camera little Pentax , 8Megapixels, but that doesn't work well in bright sunlight viewing wise. There is a green tint in photographs that have white interior walls that I have noticed, but outside seems ok. The color tint isn't that important to me because I am playing at being a reportage street photographer of the old Black n White magazine days, by using the provided software turn the pictures to B/W an I pretend I am just shooting good old TRI-X . Some caveats, I am not sure special soft ware is needed to be installed for the camera to function even though it is recommended, just use a memory card holder and plug into USB port, not using the USB cable provided: The viewfinder isn't a range finder, and isn't a exact view you take a picture of, but its close; The directions aren't clear enough, that you have to charge the battery from a electrical outlet for 6 hours, without the 2GB memory card installed. I had to call some distant country to find this out. When I couldn't turn on the camera, and when the battery wouldn't charge, plus the battery has click in with a little locking device for the charge to take. Another thing is the battery gets used up pretty quickly, (used up the battery in about 2 plus hours using the camera heavily, (using the setting for not auto turn off ). I just read a Leica review of a M9 by a Magnum agency photographer saying the same thing, about quick use battery time. The reviewer invokes master photojournalist Henri Cartier Bresson. Which makes me wonder what he would have done with this type of equipment compared to what he had in the 1950s. Obviously the lens quality aren't even near each other, but it would have been fun to see HCB could have done with a in-expensive digital camera of today.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Rip Off!!!!!!, October 29, 2011
Even 1 star is way to generous for this product. Although it is nice looking, I advise anyone interested in purchasing-- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
This camera is a piece of garbage. It does not give you 12.1 or 8 megapixel quality pictures as it is advertised. They are actually extremely blurry no matter what the setting, there is a greenish tint to all of them, there are black speckles that appear throughout the image, and there is no audio to the video you shoot!

Vivitar probably has the worst customer service policy out there. Apparently they do not offer refunds despite knowing that they sell crap. So once you buy you are just out of luck. Also, the woman that I spoke to (twice) in the technical department was absurdly incompetent. If you want the camera to be serviced (which I don't think will help) YOU have to pay the return shipping. More money down the drain.

All around a horrible buying experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, December 27, 2010
Got this camera for my wife for Christmas as a gift. I gave it to her on Christmas Eve so she could become familiar with it for photo taking on Christmas. The quality of the photos was horrendous & had a green tint to them. She tried several settings trying to get a decent photo. We were both very disappointed & in fact it has been sent back to where I purchased it, as of this morning. I think rating it a 1 star was several stars too many! I went to their website & their website
[...]
is very incomplete & gave me the impression it was a shady scam site. I will never buy another Vivitar product.

Vivicam Retro Classic 12.1MP Digital Camera T327 Black
$219.99 $113.30
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies