4.0 out of 5 stars A very good "Economy" Video Recorder
Published on February 6, 2012 by Paul Graviano

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a child
Published on December 5, 2012 by Mlw

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a child, December 5, 2012
Ok, so it definitely isn't for someone that is wanting a high quality picture and probably wouldn't be any good for filming sporting events or plays, but for an 8-13 year old that is just starting to experiment with making their own videos, it's great. The price is low and that makes it easy to hand it over to those who aren't so easy on their things, and it's small, so it works great in smaller hands. We bought it as a birthday gift for our 10 year old, who just started to make his own videos and he loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good "Economy" Video Recorder, February 6, 2012
On Christmas day 2011 I ordered the Vivitar DGTL Video Recorder DGTL Video Recorder with one of the Amazon Gift Cards I had just received. I wanted to photograph a video of the H.O. Gauge Train Layout I was building to show to some friends & relatives. It's small, easy to use, and the instructions were pretty clear & simple. I was using it a few minutes after unpacking it. It was worth much more than the $49.95 price I paid for it, but the quality was less than I had hoped for when photographing small objects close-up. It Is rated as "Hi-Def" but as with digital still cameras, the megapixels are not as important as the optics. A Hi-Def camera with lesser optics does not really produce a Hi-Def video. If you want an example of the quality, go to YouTube and search for Trains as of 12-29-2011.mp4 which was recorded with this recorder.
Wanting better detail and quality, I then ordered a Panasonic Video Recorder Panasonic HDC-TM90K 3D Compatible Camcorder with 16GB Internal Flash Memory (Black) which is a much more expensive recorder, but gives much better detail. Examples of the Panasonic recorder can be found by going to YouTube and searching for HO Train Layout.m2ts You can see other examples of the Panasonics work by going to YouTube and typing Paulietree1 in the search box at the top of the page.
As you might guess, the quality of a video recorder varies with the price. If you want really good, clear video you're going to have to spend a few hundred dollars. If the quality you saw in the first video I listed is acceptable, you cannot beat the Vivitar DGTL Video Recorder for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Vivitar DVR 508NHD-BLK 5.1MP Digital Camcorder with 4X Digital Zoom Video Camera with 1.8-Inch LCD Screen (Black) (Electronics)
Its an awesome camera and my daughter loves it. Its has a lot of features that some cameras in this price range don't have.

3.0 out of 5 stars An advanced toy-but acceptable if you don't expect too much, June 14, 2012
If you keep the focus on nearly full-wide (which is really a 'normal' viewing aspect and is not Wide by any means, you get a decent picture. Once you try zooming-in, it gets all pixelated. (Must be a digital zoom...not an optical zoom). And' I'd suggest leaving the meter set to 'multi' as opposed to 'center' as it will react more accurately to changing light and half-light half-shadow areas. My guess however is that it isn't above the quality of a good cell phone video. But it looks nice with the flip out screen. (And it IS small). And it's nice to have Alkaline batteries as the power source instead of a built in rechargable. A quick change of batteries keeps you in business...and alkalines don't loose power sitting around for weeks in the unit like a rechargeable built-in would. The nicest part is the SD card (at extra cost) which you can quickly remove, stick it in your computer's ard slot, and have the computer's media player show the footage ASAP (besides seeing it on the built-in camera screen, of course). It comes with software for editing and sharing but I doubt I'll need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want good quality don't buy this., November 14, 2012
Don't get excited about the claim that this records in "HD." It does not. I don't know how they could swing putting that in the product information. It's terrible quality, both audio and video, but it's cheap, so if you don't mind the bad quality go for it. If you expect better quality, you're gonna have to drop more cash. I learned the hard way.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for beginners, January 11, 2013
my 10 year old loves making movies and taking pictures of her sisters its alot of fun for them to put thier own movies on computer

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Camera, April 9, 2013
I bought this on a whim. I was Skyping with a friend in Japan, and we got to talking about video cameras, So I checked Amazon -- saw a Vivitar (love & trust their lenses) and they had seven cameras left at under $30. For that price -- grabbed one.

Turns out the three AAA batteries required weigh more than the camera, and the camera is smaller than my Sony.

You have zoom, view screen and all the goodies necessary to get that video -- without having to carry anything heavy or cumbersome. Liked it so much I was telling a friend about it, and, as there were more available, he immediately grabbed one to take to a Rebba concert he's going to in late April 2013.

Because it is so small, the setup buttons are a pain ... but the light weight and everything else about it, combined with a cost that is less than eating out at the neighborhood restaurant ... this is something worth considering. There may be a downside, but I haven't found it yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars camera, May 31, 2012
The camera was light and small but the zoom was poor and hard bto get to focus. though learning to use was a bit challeging but we are happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars this thing sux !, July 17, 2012
this camera is a total rip-off, they say "you get what you pay for" well i guess that is true in the case of vivitars crappy camera. This thing is like the pinto/yugo of digital cameras. I for starters it took an hour to get the thing just to turn on (it takes 3AAA batteries---and uses power like a vegas casino sign, I got not even 1 min. of use before it shut off cuz of "bat. low" I switched out several differt batteries, some of them new, Yeah, for reals !!!) After that I had to deal w/ the fact that it only records under the the most optimal of lighting cond. so if your thinking about using this "peice" indoors at night, forget about it. I gave it one star in the reveiw, only cuz I can't give it just a half-star. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS "HUNK-OF-JUNK" IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY/ YOU WILL REGRET IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole family loves camera, June 15, 2013
I bought one for myself, loved it, so bought four more for the grandkids and my sister.

It's light, compact, easy, to operate and a fun little camera at a good price.

I really love that it fits in your pocket.

When I say it is light, I mean the three AAA batteries it requires weigh more than the camera itself. The flip-out screen is sharp and clear and the controls are easy to get used to. I gave one to my 55 year-old sister just loves the one I gave her.