Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Color: BlueChange

on July 18, 2013
Purchased this camera for my daughter for her 6th birthday. It arrived, placed in new batteries, and it turned on once, allowed her to take one picture, and would not turn on again. Replaced the batteries, even though they were new, and still would not turn on. Bought this because it was reasonable price for a kids camera, but ended up returning and spending more. Don't waste your time on this one. Piece of JUNK!!!
22 comments20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2013
I loaded brand new batteries into the camera, turned it on, completed the set up screens (date/language options), took fewer than six photos only to see a 'low battery' warning followed by the screen going black. I pressed the power button. The camera powered on for a few moments and battery icons on the settings screen showed full power. Then after a few moments it shut down without warning. I tried the power, reloaded the batteries, and was successful twice in turning on the camera again.

The camera was turned on for mere moments before the power indicators showed 1 bar on the screen. The power "on" button is not responsive after one brief, initial use. I changed batteries, reloaded them and have yet to turn the camera on with the power button. I would not recommend this camera based on my experience so far.

update: The camera view screen is dead. I tried to take a picture and the screen came up in a confetti pattern. Reboot, new batteries, new card all failed to resolve the issue.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2012
First of all, I had to return the first one of these cameras since when I first turned it on, I received nothing but ERROR messages. The second one started up okay, and allowed me to input the time/date and was ready to go. The problem? Not so much the camera, but the ease of use (or should I say, LACK of ease). You get precious few control buttons that control multiple functions. This would simplify the camera IF THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET CONTAINED ACTUAL INFORMATION. You get nothing - less than even the most basic instructions on how to operate the camera. For example, the camera is a 7.1 megapixel. Yet when you first start it is set on the lowest (3 MP) setting. So just change it? Good luck with that. Nothing in the 'instruction' booklet tells you how to do this (or much else apart from turning the thing on). I guess you have to discover the camera's full potential by trial and error...a lot of error. The menu screen is damn near impossible to navigate and the unit eats the AAA batteries it runs on. Spare yourself a lot of misery...buy another camera.
on January 7, 2013
easy to use and pretty durable so far. my 10 year old uses this camera primarily. it does eat thru batteries so i would suggest getting some recharge able batteries.
on May 22, 2013
I took three photographs with this camera and it broke. For the price I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I thought we would at least get a few months use out of it.
on April 5, 2015
========================================
#1 reason for wanting this camera: You don't want other people handling your expensive phone, to take pictures.
#1 reason for NOT wanting this camera: You want something better than your cheap phone, to take pictures.
========================================
If the first reason applies to you, this is what you're looking for.

What you get is circa 2004 technology; equivalent to what you'd expect on a low end Android phone today. If you keep this in mind, then $20 isn't bad for what you are getting.

Likes:
1. Easy access to the SD card.
2. Easy to use.

Dislikes:
1. Camera body has a "fragile feeling" about it. I strongly recommend installing & using that wrist strap.
2. Battery compartment has no polarity markings.
on October 16, 2013
This is the WORST camera I have ever tried!! I WISH ZERO stars were possible... WHY force someone to give 1 star to something that never even worked... not even for 10 seconds?!

One of my kiddos received this as a gift, but they didn't actually physically receive it until 1 1/2 YEARS after it was purchased for them, so no recourse for the thing being BROKEN right out of the package.

What a JOKE!!

For starters no clue is given as to which way to put the batteries in... so after 5 minutes of flipping them into several combos, I put 3 fresh batteries in & it started up... great, or so I thought. It prompted me to enter the "language". It's already set to English, but it would NOT allow me to hit "set" to accept that and I can't even get the thing to take 1 picture. I tried 2 sets of batteries... I even tried 2 different brands & 2 different types... rechargeable VS standard... NADA, nothing!!

So I decided to go to Google to see what I could find. Much to my dismay (((sarcasm here))) it is a piece of garbage camera. After I let my child try it herself (just so she sees it came BROKEN), which she will be VERY disappointed after, I will be throwing it into the garbage. Thank you for crushing my kid's heart, Vivitar!!

RUN AWAY from this joke of a camera... I would never buy a Vivitar anything after receiving this "gift"!! In this case it truly was the thought that counted, because the camera isn't even worth a penny... piece of JUNK!!
on November 28, 2013
Spend more money and get a better camera. It gets more blurry pictures and some good pictures, and use a lot battery for videos.
But I think it's OK for a $34 camera.
I recommend spending more money and get a better one.
on January 17, 2014
I bought this camera for my 13 year old to take to her band outings and snap pictures of her friends. It is very light weight, and colorful so it is easy to find if laid down among all the backpacks, purses and cell phones.
I would recommend for all young ladies.
Also easy transfer of the photos using the SD card (which you have to buy separate) and a cord, which comes with it.
on December 30, 2013
I guess this really wont be a very fair rating on this product but I got this as a gift for my daughter for Christmas. When they opened the camera and went to use it, it didn't work! Not happy with receiving a product that does not work. This is the second time that I have purchased a Vivitar Camera and not have it work. Because of that I will NOT be purchasing Vivitar cameras again.