5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector, 1 small problem
Great product! Owned this for 2 days now and love it! Got my Xbox 360, Wii, and computer all hooked up to this baby and am not looking back.

Published on August 24, 2010 by schenker

1.0 out of 5 stars Vivitek Sucks
Published on August 16, 2011 by A. Bonterre

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector, 1 small problem, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Vivitek D510 2600 Lumen SVGA HDMI 120Hz 3D-Ready Portable DLP Projector (White) (Office Product)

There is definatly a downside which I have mostly remedied, however, most people will not be able to. The thing is that this projector has NO AUDIO OUTPUT. Which is weird considering it has HDMI and such. This means if you connect something with the HDMI, you are stuck using the build in speaker for audio. Bummer. Also, if you connect using the y/r/w cables you are also stuck using the internal speaker, but if you have a stereo like I do, connect it to the stereo and run it to the projector. Not that the internal speaker sounds bad, it actually sounds great, but it's just not the best while watching home movies or gaming.

Great picture quality and projects and image of about 5 1/2' x 7'. Actually is slightly bigger, but roughly that size. I'm very happy with my projector.

UPDATE LOST ONE STAR*- Projector did not work today, first time since I bought it (6 monthsish). Ive mostly used it on economy setting. I hear a rattling like broken pieces of something, and after disassembling it, there might be a big problem. Projector wasn't dropped, hit or anything, it sits far above and out of reach. I now have to hopefully find a resolution, either something exploded inside, or bulb burst. Im 50/50 on which it is right now. Ill update ASAP

UPDATE TO UPDATE-5TH STAR RETURNED- So the reason is my bulb had exploded. First I was upset and believed it to be an equipment issue, but after realizing the extension cord I run this from was unplugged, I put 2 and 2 together. Cord unplugged while running (even in low power mode) will cause the bulb to not cool down while being around the already cool surroundings = BOOM goes the dynamite (bulb). So this was my bad (or another occupant), and not the projector. I'd give it 5 1/2 stars now for doubting it. Ha ha, enjoy and don't accidentally unplug this!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Vivitek Sucks, August 16, 2011
This was my first projector and I did alot of research before buying it. It met a most of the requirements in terms of picture quality and brightness etc. Everything was ok for three months... then the pixels started dying, (which means there were dark and light spots all over the screen) within one week we had close to 30 dead pixels spread across the screen. The Amazon 30 day warranty had expired so we contacted Vivitek and that was where the real disappointment came. They never answer their telephone!!!!! They don't return messages!!!! They don't answer e mails!!!! There was no way to get a human being at this company....and I really tried. Their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered and will never buy anything marked Vivitek again. I contacted Amazon about this and they are giving me a refund so I'm buying an Epson this time. Adios Vivitek!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Small Projector, November 26, 2010
I purchased this machine to use in the classroom. It performs wonderfully for the intended purpose. It's relatively small and light. Has a reasonably powerful projection image. And it works seamlessly with both my PC and my Macbook Pro. Like all such projectors, it runs very hot and one has to be careful stowing it away after use. But I've gotten used to cooling it down and handling it carefully. I can't comment on its durability since I've only used it a dozen or so times. It does have a slightly cheap, plastic feel to it. But as long as it does the job, who cares what it feels like. I wouldn't recommend this for large rooms. My guess is its range is probably limited to 30 feet (I use it in a seminar room in which the screen is only 12 feet from the projector. Works great in that situation.) In short, I can't complain. It's a good product for occasional use in small to medium size rooms.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you are buying it for 3D projection then read this before you buy, February 15, 2011
It's very nice DLP projector and the price is nicer. BUT if it's a priority to play 3D blu-ray movies on this projector USING a 3D blu-ray disc player then stop. Don't buy it (at least now). Any 3D DLP projector and any 3d Blue-ray player are NOT directly compatible (again as of today). Unless if you want to play your 3D DVD's using a computer with 3D video card using a 3D player software, then I think, you have a great projector.

Or if you are willing to pay about $400+ for a converter box, between the projector and the 3D player, to convert the signal form the 3D blu-ray disc player to the 3D ready DLP projector. Then I also think you have a good projector.

Or at last, if you are willing to wait (like me) until the above converter box become available from more companies, and its price become reasonable.

Unfortunately for me, none of the reviews that were posted (before I buy mine) mentioned anything about this fact. Only few stated that they have not yet tried the 3D, I wonder!

Here is the technical explanation from a technical person: "NO 3D blu-ray player, has been made so far, will give any 3D ready projector the 120Hz field sequential 3D it needs! You must convert the side by side 3D of blu-ray to 120Hz on a PC with a 3D card and 3D player application OR buy a special box which can do this. This issue is very well known for a long time". But it was not to me until I bought mine.

Two more comments,

#1- I found the UK Vivitek costumer support very much helpful to point out the compatibility issue and quick to help. They suggested few solutions along with their new (to be out) projectors series as future solution. But for the US Vivitek support they concealed that fact from me when I asked them. They said that their engineers (US engineer I believe he meant) don't know or have any data about compatibilities. What that tells me? It tells me that they're insulting my intelligent. Who would design a product and it's been on the market for a such time and don't know what is compatible with? Come on, I'm an Engineer also.

#2- At last but not least, I must mention that Amazon were unbelievable with their help and costumer support. Sorry, no room here to explain what they did to help me. Thanks Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Service is a Scam, November 14, 2011
We bought this projector about a year ago and loved it for the first 11 months. Then one day, we tried to turn it on and it wouldn't work. Curious. We pulled out the manual, which displayed a series of troubleshooting steps. When we turned on the power, the blue power led light blinked 8 times, indicating that there was a DMD error. Turns out that stands for "Digital Micromirror Device." We didn't really know what that meant, so we called customer service.

The customer service representative was very friendly, and he walked us through the troubleshooting steps. He confirmed that it was a DMD error, which is covered under warranty. We asked him if it could be a lamp issue (which is not covered under the year-long warranty), to which he replied that it was "unlikely." We paid the $20 to send our projector to the warranty department.

After about a week, we got a response that it was a lamp issue, and it would cost $250 for them to fix it and send it back. If we didn't want them to fix it, we would still have to pay $75 for an "out of warranty diagnosis," plus shipping (~ $25). So we would either pay $250 for a working projector that was still within the first year of purchase, or $100 just to get our broken projector back.

I called customer service and explained the situation, telling them that we did everything we could to confirm that it was NOT a lamp issue prior to sending in the projector. There were serious fan issues and the power button wasn't working properly, which I assumed were symptoms of the DMD error. The folks at customer service weren't very sympathetic. They didn't have any more information about the error, they wouldn't let me talk to a technician, and they didn't have any documentation about these types of errors. I still have no idea what a DMD error means.

The user manual says that if it's a lamp issue, the orange lamp light should blink, which didn't happen for us. We had the projector mounted to a ceiling where it never moved, received plenty of air flow, and was only used for a total of less than 400 hours--not the 3,000 hours that they claim the lamp should last.

After reading some of the reviews, we found out that we were not the only ones who got screwed by the Vivitek warranty department. The language in the warranty and the product manual itself is misleading. In the meantime, Vivitek is holding our projector hostage. I've heard that Amazon is great about returning faulty products, but we were not so bright and we sent the projector to Vivitek instead.

EDIT: About four months later, after we had completely given up on the Vivitek projector and bought a new projector from another company, we mysteriously received a package in the mail from Vivitek. Lo and behold, it was our old projector--and it was fixed! There was absolutely no explanation about what had been wrong with the projector, and why they had suddenly decided to send us back our projector that they previously claimed was not covered under warranty. Wish they could admit to their mistake and/or tell us what's going on. Vivitek sucks at customer service and communication.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started Off Good, But Then...., December 9, 2011
The picture quality and quiet operaton of this projector is outstanding. The problem is the pixels have started dying out now and I only have 387 hours of viewing time on this unit which I bought back in January, 2011. I am going to contact Amazon and Vivitek and see if I can get it replaced. I'll let you know how I make out...

OK, so it's January 21 and still no RMA number from Vivitek to return my defective unit to be repaired. They have THE WORST customer service ever! I explained my dilemma to Amazon and let me tell you, it was THE BEST customer service I've ever encountered! They understood the problem and sent me a new replacement of the exact same model by next day air. And when I had to return the old one they even paid for the shipping. Amazon will definitely get my business in the future. WELL DONE AMAZON!

2.0 out of 5 stars Vivitek D510 Not Acceptable for Home Theater, December 17, 2010
Rich Vergo (The Jersey Shore) - See all my reviews
I tried the reasonably priced Vivitek D510 for business presentations and home theater, but found it lacking in picture quality for both purposes. Its 800x600 native resolution didn't display a crisp image for small text reading on a 50" screen. It also failed to produce a reasonably good image from any home theater media. Especially notable was its screen door effect and lousy color accuracy. Its down scaling abilities from high definition sources was miserable by creating blotchy colored faces and images. While its low cost may be attractive for non-critical classroom use, I would recommend home theater users to research for a higher native resolution projector designed for that purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Pixels after 105 hours of usage, January 5, 2012
I purchased this projector after my previous one (a BenQ) was damaged by a lighting strike. I was impressed by the vivid colors, but the D535 was a bit noisier than the BenQ. The difference in noise level wasn't significant though, and I was pretty satisfied with my purchase. However, after 7 months of infrequent usage (105 total hours), the display started showing "dead pixels". It started with a single pixel just on the edge of the display - a minor annoyance. Then a day later, it was 3 dead pixels, then 5, then 7. More are dying every day! Time to find out how good Vivitek customer service is...

Update 1: After 1 week, still no response from Vivitek customer service. No one answers the phone, they don't respond to email, nor have they responded to my RMA request. Hundreds of dead pixels now...

Update 2: After 2 weeks - still no response from Vivitek support - not a peep. Now there are hundreds of dead pixels, horizontal black lines across the display and a couple of black bands running horizontally as well. Reduced from a two star to a one star.

Update 3: Finally was able to contact a LIVE PERSON at Vivitek after 3 weeks of trying. Apparently they've got a huge backlog of tech support emails & the support person I spoke with spent a number of minutes finding my RMA requests. He did find at least one of them, so he promised to send an RMA today. (NOTE: try calling tech support at about 10am Pacific if you don't want to get voicemail...) We'll see if I get an actual RMA number today.

Update 4: I did get the RMA and a pre-paided UPS (ground) shipping label, and a promise that my projector will be replaced with a new one. My defective projector is on its way back to Vivitek & I hope soon to have its replacement. My current assessment: Vivitek products are OK but customer service is inept. If you buy their products, expect to be persistent if you need service or buy an extended warranty service so you don't have to deal directly with Vivitek.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad resolution, but bright., January 21, 2011
I've purchased, this projector to replace my 6 year old NEC projector.
I liked that it had a HDMI input, 2500 lumen, and thought it would have a clean sharp picture.

But I failed to notice that it was only 800 x 600 resolution. With my picture about 6 feet wide. The picture looked blocky (if that's a word). I could actually count the pixels on the screen.

I have returned this Vivitek projector and purchased another NEC NP216 projector with a 1024 x 768 resolution.

The 1024 x 768 resolution makes a huge difference in clarity.

I will never purchase anything less than 1024 x 768. I'm sure a Vivatek projector with 1024 x 768 or higher would have a better picture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad product and worse customer service!! Bad Company!!!, December 19, 2011
Order this item and just after 3 months the unit would start to power on and then turn off and the lamp light flashes. Ok, so outside of 3 month lamp warranty...fine. I ordered one to put in. Took forever to get one and then I changed it. Same issue even with new lamp. Ok, so 12 month warranty on unit so I filed a claim. They receive it and tell me that because the warranty sticker was broken that I would have to pay for repair....but I had to break the sticker to change the lamp...how else could I have done that. Ok, so I figured whatever...bad way to do business but fine. After them having the device for 2 months I get it back. Plug it in and guess what...same issue. So I pay for repair I believe I shouldn't have had to and even after that, I am back to where I was. Sent email back to support and they have not replied after a week.....this is a horrible company...STAY AWAY!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies