4.0 out of 5 stars Qumi feedback for iPad users
My notes and observations here are specifically for people who are especially interested in the experience of using the Qumi Q2 with the iPad. I have both good things to say and things to watch out for.

Published on January 4, 2012 by LA

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Projector with a major flaw
Let's just say I have own an Optoma HD65, due to the lamp and power outages around here, I've opted for an LG HX300(G). I was able to live with it fine and dandy but wanted something around 720p instead of 1080p. I don't need 1080p to live since most of the stuff I watch are from Netflix or YouTube. 720p is enough for HD quality and everything else that I do...
Published on July 14, 2011 by M. Huynh

4.0 out of 5 stars Qumi feedback for iPad users, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen WXGA HDMI 3D-Ready Pocket DLP Projector (Black) (Office Product)

First let me state that I have only tested out the Qumi with the iPad 2 and not the first generation iPad (though I am guessing the experience would be comparable). I wasn't originally sure if the Qumi would be a good fit for the iPad and I was a little hesitant to make the purchase. For iPad users like myself it appears worthwhile.

Projecting the iPad screen through the Qumi works well. The projection is absolutely crisp. For 300 Lumens the image is pleasantly bright for such a small projector. While you can easily see the projected image in a room with reading level ambient light, if you are going to watch a full length movie with the screen diagonal being something like 100 inches, it is definitely preferable to view the movie in a darkened room. In a darken room, the colors are absolutely vivid and vibrant. When I first watched a movie with the Qumi, I was a little dismayed that the colors were off (tan colored skin tones appeared unnaturally red). Only after watching the movie did I find that Qumi 2 allows for adjusting color and other settings such as keystone correction. The Qumi 2 has a number of preset options for color correction. This can be found under IMAGE --> DISPLAY MODE. I found that when I set the display mode to BRIGHT, the color tones in the projection almost perfectly matched the iPad screen. The second closest match for color was when the display mode was set to sRGB.

On the issue of the focusing mechanism for the Qumi I read a lot of reviews being critical about this. My impression is that in the Qumi Q2 the issue is overrated. I found that the focus mechanism on the side of the Qumi to be perfectly adequate. Many reviewers say that unit goes out of focus quickly (because of thermal expansion) and doesn't stabilize until the unit has been on a while. I did not notice this to be an issue at all. The unit I have is a Qumi "Q2" and I am suspecting it is a second generation product. In any case, I found that i did not have to play around with the focusing once I set it. Also, I found the projected image to be equally sharp on the center and the edges. Having said all these positive things about the focus, I do have a couple of issues. To focus the projected image you have to rotate a focus ring. This makes it hard to nail the sharpest possible image. A tiny nudge up or down on the ring and the image is still reasonably sharp. You don't quite know if the image is as crisp as it can be. My suggestion for the manufacturer (maybe it's included but I haven't found it yet) is that in the settings there should be some visual test pattern that makes it easy to discern when the focus is spot on.

The Qumi has several cables. I've only used the HDMI connector cable. There appears to be one for VGA and this "should" work with your iPad if you have the VGA adapter for the iPad. Because VGA is analog, I would not expect the image to be as sharp as it is through the HDMI connector. I have used the VGA adapter for the iPad with other LCD projectors and have been very happy with it, save one exception... if you want to watch movies downloaded to the iPad from the iTunes Store and project it, you are out of luck. A stupid DRM (Digital Rights Management) mechanism senses you are using a non-HDMI device and won't let the movie play. I say this is stupid, because you can download the same movie from the iTunes Store to your laptop, use a VGA connector and a plain old LCD projector to watch the movie. I was worried that the same DRM mechanism would interfere with watching movies using the Qumi in conjunction with the iPad. Fortunately it is not an issue. Let me be explicit... If you have the iPad 2, purchase the Apple Digital AV Adapter (Model No. A1388 which has a list price of $39), and connect it through the HDMI cable that comes with the Qumi Q2, you will have no trouble watching movies downloaded to the iPad from iTunes, and view it in High Definition with a full 1080p resolution. Now that you are happy about all this I have to let you know about a wrinke (which has nothing to do with the Qumi itself)... for some reason whenever I download a movie from the iTunes Store it seems to take forever for the movie to be downloaded (something like a couple of hours -- by comparison, it takes maybe 10 or 20 minutes to download a typical movie over the same network from my laptop). I don't know why downloading to the iPad is so sluggish. My advice is if you want to want to watch movies using the Qumi as the projector and want to use the iPad instead of your laptop to hold the movie, you'd be well advised to do the downloading several hours in advance.

Regarding cables with the Qumi, they are a bit short. I wish they could be longer, but I did not find it to be an overriding problem. Interestingly enough, the Qumi comes with a pair of magnetic sheaths or isolators to attach to the ends of the cable. These limit electromagnetic interference. It's nice that they include it. But they only provide one pair (one for each end of the cable). On a more expensive cable these magnetic isolators would be built into the cable. I view this as a cost cutting measure. It's not a problem, it's just something to be aware of. As far as practical issues are concerned (on the topic of cables), the Apple Digital AV Adapter detaches to easily from the iPad (this is an Apple/iPad issue, not a Qumi issue). The slightest little jiggle, and the digital signal to the Qumi breaks and entirely disrupts the movie watching. So care must be taken to make sure that the iPad and it's adapter are not disturbed during movie watching.

After posting this review, another reviewer [Thanks Ticlar!] pointed out that the Qumi does have a tripod thread mount. Removing the tiny square sticker on the bottom of the unit reveals the tripod mount. :-)

When watching long running movies with the Qumi/iPad there can be issue that the iPad goes into a power save mode. The power save mode is when the iPad screen shuts off to conserve power after a certain amount of inactivity. Normally it is awakened if you do anything like tap the screen. When watching movies, the iPad can go into this power save mode (the timeout is based on your iPad settings which you can easily configure). This power save mode doesn't interfere with the movie projected by the Qumi. It continues to play even as the iPad enters the power save mode. When you want to pause the movie you would tap the Pause button on the iPad screen. When the iPad enters power save mode while watching the movie, it's screen goes blank and no amount of tapping the iPad screen wakes it up. My advice is that before watching your movie, change the iPad's power management settings (i believe this is in the General --> Auto-Lock timeout) so that timeout is set to Never. You can always change it back to your original settings after watching the movie.

One more comment about the Apple AV Digital Adapter... while you are using it to project your iPad screen on the Qumi, it's dual connector lets you simultaneously keep the iPad powered, so the batteries on the iPAd don't run down. My personal opinion is that powering it in this way adds one too many cables (but at least you are given options).

I should say a couple of more things about the Qumi. The top of the Qumi has touch controls for accessing the Qumi's menu options. Additionally, the Qumi comes with an (infrared) remote control. But in a darkened room it is very difficult to read and click the correct buttons on the remote control even though the buttons are slightly raised. The Qumi comes with a nice little travel pouch. The travel pouch only accommodates the Qumi unit itself. There is really no room for the full complement of cables, let alone the separate A/C adapter.

The Qumi Q2 does appear to be a solid quality product. I would not characterize it as very rugged. I think they cut corners to keep the price down (like the clip on magnetic sheaths, anemic built-in speakers, and poor documentation) but didn't drop the ball on important features.

Please understand that I have restricted this review to iPad users who are unsure if the Qumi Q2 plays nicely with the iPad. To address this it was necessary to take into account how the two are used together, and identify some of the gotchas along the way.

Bottom line: The Qumi Q2 does deliver near private theater quality viewing but be prepared for some initial fidgeting/configuring to make it work well. In this context I can safely say that I am satisfied with the purchase of the Qumi Q2 and would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Projector with a major flaw, July 14, 2011

Then I researched for more LED projectors and ran into LG HW300 and Qumi Q2. To be honest I would've gone with the LG HW300 for the DLNA so I could stream videos/musics easier without bunch of cables around my room and in my closet.

As for the Qumi Q2, the 300 lumens is enough for me. I can live with it since the LG HX300 is about the same but I would have to say the Q2 is slightly brighter. My only major gripe is having to buy adapters for my HDMI cable and component (still need to find an adapter for it). No accessories/adapters for other video inputs (for example the Wii).

The menu is really really basic. Can't calibrate much at all. Cannot change R, G, B to suit the situation. The presettings were ok. Brightness was way too saturated but not too bad for me.

Now for the good stuff, pixels are much more less noticeable when compared to the LG HW300, thanks to the increase pixels. Videos played nicely no stutter, no rainbow effect that I could notice, and the fan was not too bad (bad during silent scenes).

**One little trouble, I had a defective one prior to this review. The red led was broken or something because Mario's red under clothing was pure black. So did other images and videos where red didn't show up. Amazon was willing to replace it without any hassle. Thank you Amazon. Vivitek took awhile to respond but I took up on Amazon's offer because they were much more speedier in their replies.

Overall though, I am pleased with the product.

Update- After using it for like 2 weeks. I'm actually getting quite frustrated with the projector. It appears that after shutting off the projector and turning it back on later, you are required to refocus again. If you are using it as a dedicated theater and mounted on the ceiling, you literally have to climb up every time, turn the focus wheel and not turn it off ever again. That's very inconvenient and a major flaw for me. I wish Vivitek would address something on this issue other than telling us to just refocus when it reaches operational temperature.

Update 8/27/11- I'm beginning to notice the projector is not focused in some areas strangely enough. Like along the bottom right portion of the screen is blurred out and middle left. Apparently it's a common problem. Please buy at your own discretion. Dropped it to 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, March 8, 2012
I've owned this projector for almost a week now, 6 days to be precise. Being a "portable" projector I must admit, I had fairly low expectations from the start. However, I must say that the projector has far exceeded my expectations. Currently I have it set up 11ft from a white block wall in my basement. It projects an image that is 110" diagonally. The picture is crisp running an Apple TV 2 @ 720p. The colors are vivid and bright. The white balance is great! Overall the picture is very nice. As for settings, it does lack in that department. Not a whole lot of settings, but enough to get the job done.

I've noticed some people have commented on some flaws of the unit, and I'd like to explain what I've noticed and how to correct some.

1. "Greenish tint to the black and white areas" - Check to see if you have the LED MODE set to ECO instead of Normal. The setting is located in the main menu under Installation II.

2. "I have to refocus it every time I turn it on" - This projector has a warm up time before the lens get to the operating temperature. Typically I've ran into a 10-15 minute warm up time. Once it gets to this point, the setting you last had it at will be perfect again.

3. "Some parts of the screen won't focus and are blurry" - Check the lens for fingerprints. I had a similar thing happen, and once I cleaned the lens it was fixed.

4. "It goes to sleep but doesn't wake up" - I've noticed this and try as I may, I still haven't found a way to wake it up once it goes to sleep. So if anyone has, please comment!

5. "It only has a physical power switch and no power on the remote" - This is true and like another user had commented, it gives the ability to toggle with a switched outlet. In terms of the remote, I also wish it has a power button; however, it's a rather basic remote and doesn't surprise me with the projectors hard switch.

6. "I need to buy new HDMI cables" - It has a mini HDMI input on the back of the unit. It does come with a 1m Mini HDMI to HDMI cable. You can purchase HDMI to Mini HDMI adapters here on Amazon for under $5.00.

6. "I can't find a component cable for the Qumi" - Unfortunately I can't confirm this, but I have heard you can contact Vivitek and they can send you one. I've heard anything from it's free to it's $9.99. At any cost it's worth a try. You can contact them here: [...]

Overall, I would definitely recommend this projector! It's not a "permanent" home theater projector, but it is a great projector for media hobbyists.

Price Paid: $499.99
- Carrying Case
- IR Remote

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfy with this Awesome Unit, July 14, 2011
Length:: 0:43 Mins

So now I have the qumi for 4 days already. Its looks very nice & bright on a white wall. Qumi was connected via HDMI to Xbox 360

experienced super low barely noticeable audio from the stock qumi 1w speaker but you can connect your surround sound system and you are good to go

other than that the qumi is great & best Led Projector out there for the price

100" IMAGE PROJECTED ON WHITE WALL @ 1080p
CONNECTED TO XBOX360 VIA MINI-HDMI TO HDMI FOR NETFLIX AND GAMING (AWESOME HD QUALITY)
CONNECTED TO SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
--------
haven't tried 3D or BLU-RAY yet

also note that i am first time projector owner

this video clip was taken with Droid X Camera (only 8 Megapix which is not great)

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars If you get a unit that works well, it is great!, September 15, 2011
UPDATE: I wrote the below after receiving two bad units in a row, which after all, might only be bad luck. The third, and really nice, unit, now has 800+ hours racked up on it (most in power-saving mode) and I am, contrary perhaps to the tone you'll read below, constantly delighted with the purchase. I don't ever think i can go back to a monitor :)

(first review follows)

If the chromatic aberration didn't exist, i'd give this product 5 stars. I'd be the first to sing it's praises. But there are only a few things a projector MUST do, and focus is one of them. Technically it doesn't seem to be the focus, but a misalignment of the LEDs inside the device causing an uneven mix of colors around the sides of the screen.

Even on my "acceptable quality" third try at purchasing a QUMI (I returned two so my sample size is only 3), the alignment of the green light source is off a little on the right hand side. The other units' alignments were so off that using this for a PC - if not video where natural contrast masks it - was unacceptably hazy. i hypothesize that every qumi has a chromatic aberration problem of varying amounts with the lens (CA) or alignment of a component (LED) were compromised during production, such that many people merely do not notice. There are many reports of this, and of course my own experience.

I am sorry to say I have a hard time recommending this projector (my first vivitek purchase) without some response from the manufacturer about the focus/chromatic aberration issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars good projector for artists, August 23, 2011
Note: This review is for artists, and I am discussing many of the features of Qumi from the point of view of those who -- like me -- want to use a projector for multimedia art installations.

I was a very early adopter on this item because I think it sets a new standard for projectors that can be used as part of installation-type artwork. If you are using it to project a fairly small image -- somewhere around the size of an average desktop monitor, then you can get a nice bright image even with lights on. In a situation where you can control the lighting, it could be used for a somewhat larger image. The colors are extremely vivid, the resolution is crisp, and the lamp life is amazing. It can be mounted on a standard camera mount, which allows a variety of options for installation (I use a Manfrotto monopod head which I attach to a pipe cap with a 3/8"W x 3/4"L bolt pushed through a hole drilled in the cap, allowing me to use ordinary plumbing pipe for installation. Unfortunately the power plug, designed with a 90 degree bend, requires around 1.5" pipe to get the cord through, so I use 3/4" pipe and zip-tie to the outside. An ordinary floor flange can be used to install the pipe). The field of focus fairly small (an inch or two at most I think, at least at close range), so if you intend to project onto 3-D objects, keep that in mind.

Others have mentioned a focusing problem with these units where they need to be refocused after being on for a little while, which Vivitek seems to have acknowledged as an issue related to the focus mechanism shifting slightly when it warms up. I definitely find that to be true, and it is a major flaw to what is otherwise mostly a great projector. My way around this for installations is to make sure it is properly focused after having been on for a while, and then leave it that way, even though it means it will be out of focus for the first 10 or 20 minutes as it warms up. I haven't tested that strategy very much, so I can't vouch for it's consistency. Given the amazing lamp life, it might be best to just never turn it off when it is used in an exhibition. Vivitek says they are looking into this issue, so I suppose they might find some fix for it on later versions -- but the unit seems potentially so popular worldwide that I think they might have their hands full just filling orders for a while.

I have been successful in getting video formatted so that it plays on a micro sd card, which I hoped would be one of the really useful features of this projector. (And by the way, the micro size is the smallest size of sd card, which is the type often used in smartphones.) I tried both the .mov and .mp4 formats, and I can unequivocally recommend the .mp4 format, which was much more crisp and clear, while the .mov had significant compression artifacts. Make sure you carefully read the specs on the format settings for the video, however or it will not work. I was able to input those settings when I rendered video in After Effects, although there are probably much cheaper options (quicktime's latest version would probably let you do that, and it costs only $30 to unlock the pro features). Another issue that could be minor for some but has caused problems for me is that when the unit plays from an SD card it stretches 720P video to 800 pixels. That probably won't cause enough distortion to bother anyone watching movies, but it is a big issue if you need pixels to line up precisely as you edited them. I have found a workaround where I set up my video with the image reduced by 10% in the vertical dimension in After Effects, and then when it plays from the sd card it will be in the correct proportion.

If you need to have a video that loops, however, you should know a couple of things. First of all, you have to find the setting to get the video to loop. You cannot simply format the video itself so that if loops, you have to change a setting in one of the menus on the projector. Also, there is no such thing as a seamless loop on this unit (it's actually pretty rare in players too, from my experience so far, unless you pay for a pricey signage unit, or just use a computer). When you have it set to loop, it goes to black at the end, and then you will see a rotating circle of aqua colored dots, showing that it is reloading the video. I have requested that they give us a menu option to disable that in the next firmware update, but I'm sure they are more likely to do that if they hear the same request from lots of others (Vivitek has a facebook page with a specific Qumi discussion and they are fairly responsive to questions and issues -- in terms of an initial response anyway. So far they haven't followed up with any real changes). As an additional note regarding looping video, if that's something you are interested in, you should know that as of this edit (Jan 2010)several miniature computers (about the size of a tin of mints, or a package of gum) are about to become available, and show great potential as small media players. They have video capabilities beyond what this projector needs, and some will be very cheap --Raspberry Pi $25, Cu-Box $135, or Allwinner $7.

I'm a little disappointed with the design of the micro sd card slot. First of all, you have to put the card in upside down -- that is, with the metal contact points facing up -- and so when I first tried to insert the card it got jammed in and I had to use tweezers to pull it out. And even when I did get it in correctly, it was hard to get it out. You have to have long fingernails or use some other implement to push it in more so it will spring back.

Pros:
--small
--affordable (not cheap yet, but within reach)
--excellent image quality in terms of resolution
--vivid color
--bright enough to see with room lights on (desktop lcd screen sized image)
--much larger image possible in a dark room
--internal speaker: albeit a pretty weak one
--audio out: allowing for higher quality speaker options, or headphones
--can run video from micro sd or USB stick (I haven't tried the USB method yet)
--comes with a nice little carrying case
--quiet
--doesn't get very warm
--allows for lots of connection options (some of which require finding extra cables or connectors)

Cons:
--focus instability issue
--animated icon between videos or when it loops
--looping not seamless
--720p stretched to 800
--keystoning is pretty limited
--there is no optical zoom to allow resizing of the image

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, July 22, 2011
pros: Brighter than most led projectors, I have a 100" screen. HD 720p, very nice. Enough ports for a portable (You will find yourself swapping HDMI cables if you don't have a switch).
Only 1.6 lbs. NO NEED FOR LAMP REPLACEMENTS! Plays video, music, and documents from portable media fairly well (if in the right format, handbrake works pretty well for .mp4). Very good skin tones

cons: Seems to need refocused after heating up. No power button on remote, hard power switch though, so any remote controlled outlet could work. Slight green tint to black and white scenes.

comments: Very saturated colors. Super basic menu. I haven't tried the 3D functionality

Good deal for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, with much room for improvement., August 26, 2011
This is my first projector. That being said, all I have to compare it to is projection tv, lcd, and plasma hdtv's. The picture is not as realistic as the new lcd or plasma, but it's putting out a 92" screen v/s a 52". I had a samsung plasma 3dtv that never worked right (still in a battle with samsung to get my money back. They make good products, but pray you never have trouble. Their help is a joke at best. 8 months and counting) Sorry, bit of a sore subject. The dlp link 3d is very nice. It seems to have a much more popped out effect than the tv's do. My wife said it was much more noticeable to her as well. The pic. is really good on most hd content, however the one thing I have noticed is it seems to be focused on main object's, but the distant stuff is not. Almost like it has a depth perception problem. The funny thing is I don't notice it when in 3d. The X games were where it really had a focus problem. As the screen showed the distant motorcycle it was blurry till it got close up every time. And yes you will have to refocus after it warms up every time. Best to turn it on a few minutes before viewing, and it does get hot. I put a lap top fan with a usb on mine. As far as the menu there's not much adjusting you can do most of it is grayed out and won't let you adjust it. Not sure why its even on there if you can't do anything with it. Maybe firmware updated later or something. Still pretty annoying. For instance the brilliant color only works if you set it to bright mode (In my eyes does not look very good. I like the user mode) it sets it to 8 and you can adjust nothing on it. User mode is the only one that can be adjusted. Then all you have is brightness, contrast, gamma, sharpness, and color. No brilliant color adjustment. The regular color does not do anything good. I bought the viewsonic vp3d1 3d converter box from amazon.(you have to have a converter box or 3d computer to view 3d. it's 3d ready not 3d) The converter box works great on my direct tv, ps3 games, and 3d blu ray player. Gran turismo 5, call of duty black ops, resident evil, despicable me, and tangled all looked really good in 3d. I have the panasonic bdt310p blu ray player that converts 2d to 3d bought from amazon. This feature works well on the blu ray, but will not function on dvds because the projector won't let you adjust the resolution. True 3d looks better anyway. I have the ultimate 3d heaven 3d glasses bought from amazon. They're cheap and they work great. I bought a 4' x 8' white panel board at my local lowes store. It makes a very good pic, it's lite, you can curve it, and it's only $12. I have not tried the vga yet only hdmi. The video plug will not work with anything I have found. The specs say it has component hook up, but it does not. I bought a component to hdmi converter for my wii $30 bought at amazon. That's the only way to hook up a wii on this projector I know of. Looking forward to many movie nights and sporting events on this projector. The bottom line right now is if you want a 3d projector with led so you do not have to worry about the bulb life, this seems to be the only one out there. p.s. If you have ps3 and plan to watch 3d movies on it you may have problems I have the 40gb. It and the 60gb will black out at points and sometimes will not work at all. Playing blu rays in these models will also burn up the system. I was told this was addressed and fixed in the newer slim 160 and bigger. Not sure how true that is. I just know my 40gb will not function right even with the most up to date firmware. Except on games. Pros: You have a very portable 30" to a 120" big screen that's a 1/4 the price of an projection tv 82" looks as good plus led. Very good 3d effects. Long bulb life. Good color. Head phone jack. Cons: focus issue. Connectivity. Very limited adjustment. Need to be pretty dark for a good pic. the darker the better. No power button on the remote it has a slide switch on the side that's not user friendly. If it's not mounted down it will move the projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes big things come in small packages, February 28, 2012
I recently sold my higher end Optoma HD projector because I wanted something portable and I was sick of having to replace the bulb every year. The qumi caught my eye because it was HD, 3D ready, Extremely small, and used LED lighting so no more bulbs to replace. I figured it was worth trying out and if I didnt like it I could always sell it. The one thing that worried me was the lumens output. My old projector was close to 2000 lumens and produced a nice bright image. The Qumi is only 300 lumens. Now I'm not sure how it is they give out these lumens ratings, because I swear I can barely tell the difference between the Qumi and the Optoma in terms of brightness. So I don't understand how this is only 300 lumens. There must be other factors that go into the overall brightness of a projectors pictures. The Qumi Q2 is a fantastic little projector and aside from the bright image, it produces very crisp HD images which were much better than expected. This is definitely the direction future projectors are going to be headed. The LED light allows the projector to be the size of a computer hard drive. I have no regrets about my purchase and even though the Qumi isn't the most feature packed projector out there, it's still a very very good HD projector for any home theater, and is portable enough to take it with you places and plug in your camera or laptop to show your picutres and movies. Vivitek's got a winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vivitek Qumi - nice but some downsides, August 10, 2011
I bought the Vivitek Qumi a few weeks back, mainly to watch movies at home.
The device, which has been quite intensely expected because of its promising features, is indeed a nice projector: light, small, nice design, overall good performances (brightness etc.).
However, I have to mention that the top cover plate, in plastic, bent a little after a few hours of use, due to insufficient heat ventilation I guess.
More importantly, the focus is not 100% perfect: 1. one has to refocus after 5-10 minutes 2. It is never possible to get a perfect focus allover the screen, as some areas are slightly blurred when the rest of the image is well focused. It's not very disturbing while watching a movie, but still, it is a little frustrating.

Rate and Discover Movies