Published 4 months ago by Bron

Nice idea in theory. The stylus helps navigate the Desktop Windows OS.

Published 2 months ago by KLK

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting new entry in the race! Excellent value and freatures, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Asus VivoTab Note 8 is neat new entry in the Window 8.1 tablet market. It has a lot to offer at a very compelling price. It comes boxed with a charger, micro-USB power cable, some printed doc, a quick start guide, warranty, support info and a license for MS Office Home & Student 2013 edition. It also features a stylus and Wacom digitizer built-in, a nice 8 inch IPS display, and very decent battery life and performance from the Intel Atom Z3740 Quad-Core 1.3 GHz CPU. All of this comes at a very aggressive price point (a year ago tablets of this nature were selling for 2-3 times current pricing!). If you are in the market for a Windows 8 tablet, this unit is definitely worth consideration!

The 1200x800 8 inch IPS display has a tall vertical (portrait) or wide screen format, depending on how you position the tablet (3:2 aspect ratio). It's plenty bright, nice for videos, and the text is sharp. The resolution is a pretty good match for the display size, keeping text large enough to be readable. The built-in Wacom digitizer features 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. The stylus will activate the screen from as far away as an inch or so and the palm rejection is very good. The stylus really is useful, works well, and is a definite plus for this tablet. (And it stores conveniently in the tablet itself as with Samsung's earlier models, which is definitely the right design choice.)

The included license for Office is a big plus for those who need it, especially at this price point. The included One Note also seems to work very well and might even be more useful to many. In my early tests, I was very impressed with the hand-writing recognition (conversion to text) functionality. Much better than I expected.

The tablet looks good to me (not snazzy, but fine) and the back has a nice soft feel to it. The front is pretty much the same as most others - black, shiny bezel and screen. The power button and volume buttons are also pretty typical, but did have a nice feel. One odd note is that the Windows "Start" button is on the edge of the tablet rather than the front. I'm not too sure about this design choice. I might get used to it, but I really liked, for example, the B&N Nook's HD+ tablet's easy to use front button. (So I mostly "swipe-in" from right to left to get the Start screen rather than using the button).

The tablet is fairly light and easy to hold, though the 7 inch size tablets are a little easier to use with one hand, the larger 8 is better for video and productive work, I think. It's the "sweet spot" for me, anyway, (I loved the Toshiba Excite 7.7" which also worked well for me). The 8.9 inch models are better for watching videos, but harder to hold and use for any lengthy period of time.

The display is very nice to my eyes, having good contrast and bright colors (and being plenty bright as mentioned earlier). I'm not obsessed with resolution and the resolution seems perfectly fine to me for this size display. Certainly, everything appears sharp and clear.

The Intel Atom Z3740 CPU performs very well and in use the tablet feels quick and snappy nearly all the time. The 2 GB of RAM seems sufficient for most purposes, more would be better, but I did not notice any major problems in normal use. You will experience some slow down if you try to do too many things at once. This is a tablet, not an ultra-book, after all. One area to note is that the included 32 GB of internal storage is almost completely consumed by the Windows OS and apps, so you will need to add a 32 or 64 GB micro-SD card for storage if you plan to do any real work on this thing. [Update: I installed a 64 GB microSD card. In PC Devices I then configured this as the default storage location for Music, Pictures, and Videos.]

So far, battery life seems right at the claimed 8 hours (Update: I think there's a mistake in the highlights listed on Amazon for this product where it indicates 6 hours, I believe 8 is correct as is shown in Asus info later in the listing.) or even better. I think you might easily get more if you are conservative. I can easily go all day without worry. For occasional use, you might go a week. At any rate, 8 hours or better is very good. Most tests I could find online seemed to confirm this. The included charger is a powerful 2 amps and the unit charges using a standard micro-USB cable which is nice. Thumbs up for no proprietary charging cable needed! (Charging time seems to be around 3-4 hours, even though they recommended an 8 hour initial charge before use in the quick start guide.)

I have not tested the cameras extensively yet. I don't use tablet cameras that much myself, these seem to be about average in my cursory use.

Initial set-up was a breeze, much easier than earlier Windows tablets I've tried, due to the fact that numerous post-setup updates were not needed to get everything working correctly. In this case, things worked properly out of the box, as they should. I was up and running in just a few minutes. Finally, windows tablets are now competitive with Android tablets, in this aspect. (I love both Android and Windows tablets, but this tablet changes the game, as you can now have a tablet running the full Windows 8.1 OS at the same price as an Android tablet. Yes, there are pluses and minuses to that, but the case remains that, before this, Windows tablets came at a high cost premium by comparison. Now the "cost" playing field has been leveled.)

I will be updating this review over the next week or two, as I gain more experience with this tablet, but based on my tests so far and my initial impressions, I am rating the Asus VivoTab 8 at 5 stars based on the exceptional value, features, and the included Wacom digitizer stylus. This tablet packs a lot into a nice package for the price asked.

I will continue to test to make sure there are no significant problems or glitches, as yet undiscovered, and will update if needed.

Hardware Notes:
- Includes dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.
- Includes a microSD card with OS recovery software. (Remove and keep in a safe place!)
- Ports: One micro-USB, one 3.5 mm Headphone, one microSD card. No HDMI.
- GPS hardware on-board is Broadcom GNSS.

Usage notes:
- Making handwritten notes with MS One Note on this tablet is actually easy and useful. - Drawing diagrams and annotating them works fairly well (for simple things, anyway).
- Included Home Office means you have some serious app power on-board out of box for productive work.
- Not impressed by the "cameras," but as an avid photographer, I never am.
- As you would expect, "desktop mode" is not the preferred mode, however, thanks to the digitizer stylus, it is actually usable. Still, as a tablet, the metro/modern interface is much easier to use.
- As with most tablets, speakers are OK, not great. Use headphones or external speakers for best sound.
- Some nice security features like secure boot, disk/data encryption, and so forth available.
- Can use an OTG USB cable (not included) to connect USB devices.
- Has Miracast capability, but I have no compatible displays, so unable to test this feature.
- Includes 1,000 GB of Web Storage free for one year. Plus some free SkyDrive (MS) cloud storage as well.

2014/03/26 Note: I purchased a MS Surface Pro Pen/Stylus (here: Microsoft Surface Pro Pen) as man reported it's better than the included stylus. While the included stylus seems fine, it is very thin, the button is hard to find and activate, though it does have the advantage of storing in the tablet itself. The surface pro pen is thicker, more comfortable, the button is very easy to locate and activate, and, to my surprise, it seems to actually work a bit better. I find it takes less pressure to activate (click) things with the surface pro stylus. It's not a huge deal, but if you will be using the pen a lot, then might be worth it. I, myself, like it much better. Oh, and it also has an active eraser on the top end which the included pen does not, which can be handy.

2014/03/29 - Everything is working fine. The surface pro stylus is definitely better and easier to use. I now think of the stylus that came with the tablet as my "backup" stylus, safely stored in the tablet in case I forget my pro stylus.

** See comments for info on a possible pen issue some have reported. Mine is working fine so far. Will update here if I learn any more about it. **

2014/04/11 -- Everything continues to go well with my Asus Vivo Tab Note 8. No issues.

2014/04/21 -- Continues to work fine and has recently had some good reviews elsewhere. Low battery drain and overall good battery life is very enjoyable. Stylus continues to be a big plus, as is the nice display screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasantly Surprised, April 23, 2014
Jim Besso (Seattle Area, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VivoTab Note M80TA-C1-BK 8" Tablet with Integrated Professional Wacom Stylus, 64GB (Personal Computers)
UPDATE: July 18 - about 3 months after purchasing...

I LOVE THIS THING! I literally use it every day.

A problem developed after a Windows update (THAT NOW SEEMS FIXED). My pen stopped working intermittently. I eventually noticed that the driver stopped working. A call early on to ASUS let me know that they were aware of it, but didn't have a fix at the time. I binged and googled it, and came up dry. I figured out that if I disabled the driver and re-enabled it, the pen would work just fine... until it stopped again. Its been working for a while now (I think the last reset was last Saturday), so maybe its fixed, but I wanted to put it here so folks are aware of it. I don't think it is hardware related, but a driver issue, which means that a future windows update will fix it (which it might already have done).

I want to say again... I LOVE THIS THING. I was concerned when the pen thing first cropped up, but now that I know its software related, I'm not too concerned, and that problem might already be fixed. It really does get used daily... to take notes at work, to take notes at church, to check facebook, to read books on the kindle app, to watch movies, to do whatever I used to do on my laptop, my Kindle, and my android tablet... I even travel with a smaller bag, now, because its the only device I bring with me on trips (well, except for my phone).

I Heartily recommend this thing, and if this one ever gets crushed, stolen or lost, I would get another one without hesitation.

And now... check out my original comments from a week or so after I bought it:

Bottom line up front: this is an incredible tablet.

I've had this tablet for a few days now, and here are my impressions. I'm coming to this tablet from an ASUS transformer, which was a 10.1 Android tablet that I used every day for several years. I also regularly use a Samsung Slate, which is a 10.5 Windows tablet that I upgraded to Windows 8/8.1. I also use a Kindle Fire fairly consistently. My hope is that I could find a tablet that could blend the strengths of these devices (and ultimately replace my transformer, which was growing increasingly crash-happy). I needed something that I could use to take notes (both hand written and typed), do school work on, read books on, and have fun with from time to time. It seems that I've found what I needed.

I purchased this device with a ISVO bluetooth keyboard cover, and I would recommend you do that. I got the 64GB version of the tablet, which leaves about ~40GB or so free, and I purchased a 64GB Sandisk Ultra SD Card, which worked perfectly. I relocated my "user" folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads, Desktop, etc) to the SD card, so that future installs do not get in the way of any documents I put on the device. I have a 250GB "OneDrive" account from Microsoft (used to be called SkyDrive, which I liked better), which integrates well with Windows 8.1. Amazon, Dropbox, Google, and even ASUS offer cloud drives, and ASUS will give you 1TB (1000GB) for free for a year when you buy this thing. Storing files shouldn't be an issue, but with more memory locally on the device, you have more flexibility when you're not connected, so having the extra SD card is handy.

Set up was fairly easy... but I suppose that's more Windows than ASUS. I'm not a big fan of Windows 8, but it does do well on a tablet, and thankfully, it hasn't been much of a detractor up to this point. Its very stable, and it runs very fluidly. Thankfully, there's not a lot of "bloatware" included on the base install of Windows. There's a couple of camera-related apps, but except for Office (which does not include Outlook), you're left to install your own stuff, rather than spend forever uninstalling stuff you won't ever use. ASUS has an array of apps that are available to only ASUS devices on the Microsoft Marketplace. I haven't, but I suppose some of them would be useful to take a look at. I already used Windows 8 on my Slate, so I just had Windows import the settings from there, and I was up and running in a few minutes.

The WiFi works very well. It picks up signals better than my phone does (Samsung Galaxy Note 2), about the same as my Kindle, and better than my Transformer did. The connections it makes are very stable, and the speeds seem to be very quick. I transferred some pretty beefy files (7GB) as quickly as they transferred on my laptop. The ultra SD card seems to not have slowed things down... or if it did, I haven't noticed.

The screen is very bright, and quite crisp. The colors seem very rich and deep, with very black blacks. I'm not one to go on and on about resolution, but it seems at least as crisp as, and maybe better than, my Kindle Fire HD, which touts its video capabilities quite loudly. It also has better color than my Galaxy Note 2, and running MLB.TV on it produced a surprisingly clear image that looked far better than the rendering offered by the same app on my Kindle and my phone. Side by side by side comparisons of Netflix seemed to yield similar results... it was as good, or better, especially in terms of smoothness. If I want a clear, crisp image, I'll watch it on my TV from a DVD, but the video from Netflix is pretty impressive. Another pleasant surprise. My Kindle has direct access to Amazon Movies, and happily, the Vivo is able to stream them over a browser, so I'm not going to have to give that up.

The screen's shape is a bit odd. Its a bit wider and narrower than my Kindle (which is a 7" model). In "landscape", you don't notice very much, but in "portrait", the view looks a bit too narrow at first. it has about the same dimensions as my phone (which has a 5.5" screen), so its not way out of line, but it does look different than what my Kindle conditioned me for. Now that I've been using it, I don't notice so much, except when I'm running OneNote, where my note space seems a bit more like a shopping list than I'd like. Its not too much of a detractor, but it is something I noticed right away, but I'm sure I will get used to it.

I didn't expect to find anything that was as strong as a desktop could be, or even anything that could fully keep up with a full-sized lap top. I wanted something small, and it was expected that that comes with a price. After using this thing for a few days, I'm pretty impressed with how well it holds up under duress, and I've installed applications that I never expected to be able to install. Windows is very responsive, and apps fire up quite quickly, and the over all experience feels much like it would on a laptop. I'm a database developer, and use some beefy programs from time to time. Using VPN, I am able to access my company's network just fine, and surprisingly Microsoft's SQL Management Studio runs well enough on this thing, which is something I did not expect. I installed Visual Studio 2012, and while I'm not going to break any speed records, it works quite well, another pleasant surprise. I never anticipated that I would be able to run these types of applications well enough to use it.

I'm in school - Seminary, to be more specific - and I needed a device that could edit Word documents and do footnotes. Android has some very capable options, but footnoting is beyond anything that I was able to find on that platform. Word runs fantastically on this thing! The small screen isn't really a problem, and with the document zoomed to the margins at 12pt font, the screen is VERY readable. Coupled with the bluetooth keyboard in the cover I bought with this the tablet, I'm able to do everything I need to, which is what I ultimately was hoping for. I haven't turned on my laptop since buying this tablet... it does everything i'd need my laptop for.

I installed the desktop version of Logos ([...]) on my tablet, an app I didn't expect to be able to install because its so resource-intensive. It runs very well, and if its slower than it is on my laptop, I haven't really noticed yet. I'm pleasantly surprised. The windows 8 reader app for Logos works perfectly also, but having the full program available lets me untie another string from my laptop, making this Vivo Tab even more useful to me. 7GB of space is a big price, but the functionality is worth it to me.

Multi-touch works great. The on-screen keyboard responds well, and the screen seems pretty accurate despite my fat-fingering (which causes problems from time to time on my phone and kindle - it seems more accurate to me). The Pen is fantastic. Using One Note, it works very well. My handwriting ends up as clear as it did on my Slate, and the transition is complete as far as my Slate goes (it will be retired). Clicking takes a bit more of a click than I'm used to - my Galaxy Note 2 also uses a pen, but I'm already used to that. My Galaxy's pen works perfectly, by the way... and the pen on the ASUS works perfectly on my phone, which probably makes sense because they're using the same technology, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. I didn't experience the "corner" or "edge" problem mentioned by others... but since I've used a Slate, which also uses a pen, maybe I'm already used to it, and wouldn't notice.

I'm getting pretty good battery life. I use this thing all the time. I bring it with me to meetings, take notes on it, check my email, stream music or radio a lot... its always with me. I'm averaging 6 to 6.5 hours of steady on, and that takes me through the day most of the time. I watched two complete games on MLB.tv with it when on battery, and at the end, windows was letting me know that I had about 10% left.

Ultimately, I think I've done pretty well. I've replaced my Transformer (which I do miss - I loved that thing!), my Slate (which at this point has a battery that lasts maybe a half hour, but it would cost too much - more than this device - to replace), and my Kindle (which is a great size for reading, and I enjoy the Prime Movies quite a bit - This tab is good for reading, and I can stream movies using the browser on this device). It increasingly seems that I will be able to replace the functionality I gain from my laptop with this much smaller and lighter tablet. This thing is small, light and nimble, but I have been most impressed with its ability to keep up with what I've tried to tax it with.

I'll update this after a month or two, and provide more information then... but for now, I absolutely recommend this device (ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8, 64GB) without reservation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite advantages over ipad and preferable to android, March 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used both Android and iPad tablets and this is my first Windows tablet. I didn't expect to like it since prefer Apple at this point. But after just a few hours I am becoming a fan.

This tablet actually is more of a small PC. A tablet generally lacks full-featured programs that you use on your laptop. This tablet runs the same Office programs that you run on a regular computer. So you don't have to compromise on functionality for portability. That is a HUGE advantage over regular tablets to me-especially Android since that is not a mainstream desktop os at this point.

Though both Android and iPad have Apps that can approximate Office applications, Neither works as seamlessly as an actual PC /macbook.

The thing that makes this tablet truly amazing is the Wacom stylus and the ability to write naturally AND have that handwriting converted to text with a high degree of reliability. In fact, this entire review is written in my hybrid script/cursive handwriting. And it has translated every word flawlessly. This means for the first time, the tablet can be used for natural and fast note taking at work or school.

the hardware on this tablet is very limited. Applications run slowly compared to a full sized PC so this won't replace your PC. But you will love being able to just pull this out and jot down a few notes and have full access to your email and software you use everyday.

I wish it had -wireless LTE capability. Then it would truly be the perfect mobile device. However it is pretty close as it is.

Be sure to spring for the 64 Gb if you can since with the full 0S, you only have about 12 Gb left for your data. You can expand the capacity with an SD card but if you like to Carry lots of music etc, you will constantly be shuffling data and files around.

I love my Ipad. But this may make me switch -- particularly since I have to use Windows for work. The windows app store is still lacking compared to Apple or Android. But again, since you can run real PC applications you don't really need Apps to the same extent.

This tablet is definitely worth a look if you truly want a device that marries the best features of a pc and a tablet.

[NCJVR]

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was waiting for... but worried about longterm durability, April 23, 2014
I had been looking forward to a 8" Wacom enabled tablet running the newer Atom chips. After being disappointed by Lenovo's decision not to include a stylus in their newest 8 inch and Dell's inferior pen in the Venue, I picked this up in March shortly after release (not from Amazon).

I have been fairly happy with it, but have concerns over how long the (kind of) cheap build will last (something Asus is a little infamous for in their less expensive tablets)

PROS:

Wacom stylus - I use this for taking notes and some infrequent illustration work. The included stylus fits inside the case like a Samsung Note so it's always on-hand. I bought a Wacom Bamboo Feel and it is even better to use with the device.

Full Windows - So much versatility! I can run browsers with all of the plugins/flash I am used to, I have full Office Suite, Adobe software - whatever you want as long as it doesn't require tons of CPU power, but really most everything 'normal' can be done with no problem. I have no trouble with Windows 8.1; it's good on a tablet, although I can see how mouse users might be frustrated at times.

SDXC Card expansion slot - A must with full windows and the productivity aim of this device (at least for me).

Inexpensive - for what you get it is pretty awesome.

OK:

Screen - It is bright 'enough' and viewing angles are OK, but resolution is lacking when compared to iPad mini 2 or any other high res device. This does make windows usable (scaling in Windows still not very good) and increases battery life. I would trade it for twice the resolution with a $100 price increase in a heartbeat though.

Battery Life - Gets around 8 hrs usually I would say, I do have to plug it in more often than an iPad (then again I don't use them as much anymore since I got this)

Build quality - I actually like the soft touch plastic back. The sides are a OK. The screen doesn't have a proper oleo-phobic coating to reduce fingerprints, it also doesn't seem like it is super scratch resistant, I got a small one from who knows what. The back (from research) is able to be popped off to access inside which is appreciated by me -just in case I need/want to replace battery after warranty is up.

Sound - One speaker is louder than the other, but I rarely use the tablet like this anyway. Headphone sound is alright - I occasionally hear some noise artifacts (something so subtle most will never, never notice it) so I don't think the audio DSP is top notch. On the plus side, It can drive fairly large headphones with no problem (I use Sony MDR-V6) Aside from the occasional artifact it sounds really clean and does not have distortion at high volume (kinda dangerous to your hearing as it can fool you if you don't pay attention and are used to distortion being an indicator of loudness). Their have been several driver updates so they are improving the sound somewhat (I presume).

CONS:

Wacom Digitizer Layer has stopped working - This is apparently the case for a number of devices after return window is up. I am in the middle of doing a RMA and will update when done. It is almost certainly a hardware issue and is probably going to be relatively expensive for ASUS to fix - probably will have to replace to entire mainboard if I had to guess. So I feel a little bad for them, but seeing how quickly this happened in this device, it is something they should have caught. I just hope they fix it properly and the problem does not return.

Not really the devices fault - but Windows 8.1 is still not quite a seamless fluid experience like iOS or even Android, but it more than makes up for it in versatility. See PROS.

No HDMI or other video out - doubtless on condition from Intel's contra-revenue agreement (where they basically pay manufacturers to use their chips in tablets) so that Atom sale don't cannibalize their main bread and butter i-series. I have wanted to do this a couple of times for tv output. If I were a normal person (if only) I could probably use this as my only computer as well... if it had video out for a larger monitor. I know you can use usb adapters, but then you can't charge the tablet at the same time (suspicious as well). MiraCast from what I have heard is just going to be a frustrating experience for any actual user interaction due to a display delay - should be OK(ish) for displaying media though.

Some 'bad' spots in digitizer layer - caused mainly by (unshielded) speaker magnet interference and poorly compensated for in drivers. What I mean by this is the pressure sensitivity is decreased and the path of lines is somewhat distorted. This happens at the top near the camera mainly, but also at the other (less loud) speaker at the bottom. Side of screen issues are like other devices in that accuracy is decreased - this is 'more' of the screen percentage-wise since it is a 8" screen though.

Doubts on lifespan of device - The above digitizer problem coupled with reports about the use of cheap memory that failed in the first Nexus tablet, make me worried about what corners were cut elsewhere and how long this device will last. I will continue to update if other issues arise.

It seems like I found a lot of flaws (the digitizer one could be a killer, we'll see) but the pros are so strong that I still rate it four stars and it definitely surpasses the criteria of just OK. Sorry to be so long, but I hope this has been informative.

*UPDATE 06-10-14*

OK - the turnaround on the RMA repair for the digitizer was pretty quick and so far the issue has not returned. I will update with any other issues. For what it's worth, I still use this instead of an iPad mini 2 I have from my work, but feel most people would prefer the latter - it just depends on what you want to do with a tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well-rounded Windows 8.1 mini-tablet, March 29, 2014
This has to now be one of the better Windows 8 tablets, all things considered. Surface 2 is the benchmark, but there is no smaller version of that tablet (yet) and the Surface 2 is a bit too big to be portable in all situations. This is a great commuter tablet.

Given a few days of one or two hours of daily commuter use, battery life in connected standby is decent, and basic tasks like e-mail, calendar, e-reading (PDF, Kindle) have appropriate apps available and work well. It gracefully handles transitions between having WiFi and not having WiFi.

I initially had mixed feelings about the stylus, which was one of the main selling points of this device to me (though I have come to appreciate the device overall in general). It initially required me to press quite hard to register and I was thinking that it wouldn't be workable, but this was improved considerably by calibrating the stylus input. I don't think it would be very good for anything other than rudimentary drawing, but it is easily usable for handwriting-instead-of-typing input, as well as in OneNote use. It still requires a little more pressure than I would like after calibrating, but it's easily usable (note that I prefer pencil note-taking, which generally requires less pressure than ballpoint pens do).

The included stylus is not that great (it's very thin), but is functional and stores in a built-in compartment within the tablet body, which you'd think the Surface 2 Pro would do by now (but doesn't).

Comparing this to a Microsoft Surface 2 (non-Pro), the VivoTab Note 8 is clearly not in the same quality league and not as well-refined. The VTN8 picks up fingerprints very easily, and looks greasy after a few days of use. The screen is not as good, and the lack of a front-panel Windows button is a negative. The sound is also not as good on the VTN8. However, the VTN8 feels as fast as the Surface 2 and can additionally run traditional Windows applications, which the Surface 2 can't (though I'm not sure I will ever do that on such a small device). And, obviously, the Surface 2 does not have a pen.

Something that might not be obvious is that this tablet has GPS hardware, which the Surface 2 does not.

Like the Surface 2, this tablet is very "wide" and still looks a bit awkward in portrait mode (as does the Surface 2 - its proportions make it seem too "tall"). I have mostly been using this tablet in landscape mode (but it works perfectly in this mode).

Note that some reviews mention the VivoTab Note 8 tablet comes with an SD card containing Windows recovery data to free up space on the device. While this is true, it does not apply to the 64GB version - the SD card only comes with the 32GB model.

I also carry an iPod Touch for listening to music on the go. Could this replace it for that? Maybe - not sure. I haven't really looked into it, but I other than being much bigger physically, I suspect it'd be lacking in three key areas that the iPod handles well: management of a non-cloud based music library, the ability to go an entire week without needing a charge, and podcast handling.

Overall, it's recommended. The Windows 8 eco-system is still not as mature as Apple's or Google's, but the basics work very well, and in many cases this is a tablet that's easier to use to get real work done (especially given that MS Office is included).

1.0 out of 5 stars Stylus integrtaion good. Poor execution, poor customer service, May 6, 2014
Nice idea in theory. The stylus helps navigate the Desktop Windows OS.

Not long after I purchased it, the front camera, ambient light sensor, microphone, and headphone all went out. I spent hours trying to figure out why until it seemed to be obviously a hardware issue. Went back and forth with ASUS phone and online support, was first told to reset the device (which they seem always to suggest as the first step)-which I'd already done. Then an RMA (ship back for repair) was suggested; I had to take it to UPS and ship it across the country at my own expense. For days, until I wrote to ask them where it was, there was no online acknowledgment that the device had been received.

Eventually, it was sent back to me with the hardware issues fixed but Windows reinstalled. I had to call Microsoft to activate Office, having previously had to reset the device so many times. Then I discovered that Windows was not activated, so I got back in touch with tech support, and was told to reset the device yet again. Can't understand why this wasn't done during the RMA.

If you're used to high-resolution phones/tablets, the 1280x800 relatively dim screen is also a striking downgrade. Many stylus taps are also not recognized, and you also have to push hard enough with the stylus at times that you worry you're damaging the screen.

Wish I had not purchased this or that I'd returned it via Amazon. This has been a waste of my time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHECK FOR THE Updated Wacom drivers v720-9 (7/18) on Asus Vivotab driver page!, July 21, 2014
I can't tell you how much i love this thing. I use ALOT of electronic devices. I've used ipad 3/ipad mini/ surface rt. they are all ok, I tend to use this WAY more than i used any of those. I still use my macbook retina 15 to do anything with major typing (like this review) but i use this for absolutely everything else. Here are some of my points of interest.

1) do yourself a favor and spend the extra $ for the 64 gb. 32 is just to small after you install all your windows apps.

2) get an otg (on the go) cable so you can plug in external usb devices. i got this on amazon (Cable Matters (2-Pack) Micro-USB 2.0 On-The-Go (OTG) Adapter)

3)the 64 gig one i bought does not have the recovery file on a micro sd card. it is partitioned on the device itself. I made a bootable usb stick with windows 8.1 x32 and used the otg cable to usb hub, with a keyboard and mouse and booted from the usb device (after i installed the latest bios on the factory install). I wiped the device completely clean ie removed all partitions and installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 I then installed all the newest drivers from the driver page from asus. Its working better than from when i used the factory install. It had problems waking up and now does not. I also now have 15 gb free rather than 3.

4)i love civ 5. i've installed it on this and it WILL RUN! the touch version works great HOWEVER you must lower most setting to low or the game will crash because it will run out of ram as this only has 2gb (1.8 usable after video card uses what it needs). Clean windows 8.1 uses around .6-.9 gb with nothing running. It will also run Skyrim at around medium low settings!

5) make sure to update the wacom drivers to the latest version (720-9 as of time of writing this) and do the FULL touch calibration via wacom in the control panel. This Asus version has 81 calibration points. That's significantly more than the 25-points on the generic tablet pc version. This version also makes the pen work better near the edges as well.

6) the camera is ok, my iphone takes better pictures though.

7) the latest bios (210) IS touch enabled, you dont need a keyboard to select things.

8) The office it comes with is just a key for home and office 2013 in the box. ( you can sell this on eBay if you choose for around 70$ and recoup some of your cost)

9)Battery life is around a full day of lite use. i can leave this off the charger for a few days and it'll still have plenty of battery to work.
HOWEVER charging it takes a really long time from 0-100$ like a 2-3 hours)

10) wireless is pretty good on this, it sees my 2.4 and 5ghz asus rt-68 router.

11) screen is bright and crisp, the resolution is pretty good for the size, however i update this dpi to 125 to make it easier to use my finger to touch and select things. 1080p videos play smoothly and perfectly.

12) the speakers are on the back of it and its pretty loud for the size of the tablet. I was impressed.

hope this helps!

(i got this for 220$ most definitely worth it at this price)

4.0 out of 5 stars x86 Windows 8.1 + Office + Digitizer + 8" Tablet Form Factor = A Very Good Productivity Tool, April 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros: Great value, digitizer, x86 Windows 8, GPS, Miracast, Microsoft Office Home & Student
Cons: Button feel, digitizer doesn't work well around screen edges, glass not scratch resistant, sometimes unresponsive.

I see traditional laptop and desktop PCs like the original Ford model T ~ they were one-size-fits-all solutions for an era where the choice was whether to own a computer or not. Today, we have a great variety of choices, and the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 is one of the new breed of x86 computing devices that merges desktop PC functionality with the portability of the tablet. I think this combination works best for someone who needs the flexibility to run desktop-class applications while on the go, such as road warriors and tech-savvy students. I used the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 extensively over the last four weeks, regularly using it during meetings and presentations for work, and content consumption and light gaming while at home. Overall, I think it's a good supplementary computing device ~ some jobs are best left to full-powered laptops or desktops with keyboard/mouse and complete I/O connectivity. Compared to other tablets, the key features that set the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 apart are the integrated Wacom digitizer, GPS receiver, ability to run desktop class applications such as Microsoft Office, and support for wireless display using Miracast.

In terms of build, the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 does not use any exotic materials and instead relies on a plastic chassis. Although it might not feel like it, this tablet has proven to be quite sturdy and durable ~ I've carried in my backpack daily and it survived three international business trips without a protective case. While the chassis has held up well, I seem to have scratched the screen during my travels ~ the screen is very clearly not gorilla glass and it accumulates fingerprints very easily. My biggest complaint about the build is actually the button feel. I think button placement is fine, with the power and volume buttons on the right and the Windows key and micro SD card on the left side. The problem is, the power button is so mushy and unresponsive that I frequently can't tell whether my attempt was registered or not ~ sometimes, instead of resuming from suspend, Windows will ask whether or not I want to shut down the PC. This is caused by overly long button presses and it's an easy mistake to make.

The digitizer is superior to a traditional touchscreen in the sense that it detects levels of pressure (I think this model supports 256 levels), allows for hovering (you can see the pointer on the screen as you move the pen around), and allows for more accurate drawing and writing. The palm rejection feature works great ~ while taking notes, you can put your hand on the tablet as if it were a piece of paper. I have two complaints about the digitizer and pen implementation: I have large hands and I feel that the pen is too skinny to comfortably hold for long periods of time, and the placement of the right-click button and lack of an eraser is plainly annoying. The other issue is the accuracy of the digitizer around the edges ~ while everything is fine in the middle, as you get to ~2 cm from the edge, there could be up to a 1 cm discrepancy between the pen tip and where it is detected. As an experiment, I purchased the Microsoft Surface Pro Pen, and that immensely improved my experience. (It's bigger, has a better button, and has an eraser)

In terms of external connectivity, the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 relies mostly on wireless and thus has a variety of connectivity options including wireless A/B/G/N and Bluetooth 4.0 LE. Miracast is also supported, and since Windows 8 is multi-display aware, instead of just mirroring, the second display can be set up as an extended desktop eg. enabling presenter view in PowerPoint, etc. (Miracast has high latency however, in the ballpark of 200-500ms, so I wouldn't try doing anything other than consuming content or maybe typing. I tested Miracast using this Belkin Miracast Video Adapter.) The USB charging port is of the micro A/B variety, so in addition to charging, if you attach a USB OTG cable, the Vivo Tab will work as a USB 2.0 host. I haven't tried high power consumption devices such as external hard drive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. I successfully tried a variety of low-power devices such as a USB keyboard, mouse, ethernet adapter, and a USB soundcard. I also tried a USB docking station which includes a USB hub and USB to video-out function, and that worked great after installing the driver.

I also own a first-generation Nexus 7 (running Android 4.4), an iPad 2 3G (running iOS 7), and a Dell XPS 12 Convertible 2 in 1 Ultrabook (running Windows 8.1). It's difficult to directly compare these devices, though from a productivity standpoint, Windows 8 is superior to both iOS and Android since it can natively process Office documents and work with company templates etc. I found web browsing to be better on Windows 8 as well, since it supports the full range of Internet plug-ins such as flash, Java, Silverlight, and others. The App Store ecosystem of iOS and Android are far superior to Windows 8, and Google's lack of support for a good maps application hinders the otherwise useful GPS functionality. (It's worth noting, that while many apps might not be available in the Windows App Store, there might be a desktop PC version available.) At the end of the day, I'm really happy with the ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8 and several of my colleagues who saw me using it are also considering buying one for themselves. It really is a very versatile productivity tool in the office and on the road. If the materials were better and the digitizer was improved, I think it'd be just about perfect. This type of device has a lot of potential, and all it needs is more polish.

Notes:
1) The recovery partition is stored on a microSD card in order to save space. Out-of-the-box, the 32 GB version has between 12 to 13 GB available.
2) From the get-go, I set this device up as a secondary machine. I have it linked to my cloud storage accounts and have been doing my work that way.
3) The headphone output is nothing to write home about. It's basically adequate for typical 16-32 Ohm headphones and earbuds. On the other hand, I thought the speaker configuration and output was pretty decent given the size.
4) The overall platform feels snappy with minimal lag, though there are occasional hangups. The actual CPU performance is best described as adequate ~ an entry-level laptop CPU such as the Pentium 2117U gets double the single-threaded performance, though for multi-threaded tasks, the Atom's 4 cores help it match the Pentium.
5) Battery life is decent ~ enough to get through a full day with light to moderate use. Ultrabooks based on 4th-generation Intel core processors can get similar or better battery life.

4.0 out of 5 stars FREE Accidental Damage Protection! Also...Gaming, photography, work., April 16, 2014
Update: ASUS considers this to be a notebook computer. If you Google ASUS ADP, it will tell you how to register your tablet within 60 days of purchase for free one year ADP. I just got an email from ASUS saying it was registered and I could make one accidental damage claim within the next year. Amazon is considered to be an authorized reseller. I thought this was great!!!

Old Review: A little about me. I own an iPad 3, iPad mini, Nexus 7, a gaming PC, and a Macbook air. Obviously I am an Apple fan. However, lately I've been really annoyed by them. They are charging the "Apple Tax" for an operating system that is locked in. So let's talk about the Asus Vivotab 8. In the short time I've owned this, I've done more work on this than either iPad I've owned for years. We are talking full Windows 8.1. If it runs on a PC, theoretically it will work on this tablet.

Gaming:
Remember, this is not a gaming PC or tablet. It does not have an independent graphics card like the Razer Edge. However, I've installed Steam. Luckily I buy "classic games" during Steam sales. I fired up Commandos 2, Age of Empires 2 HD, and Stronghold Crusader. They are a little buggy but they work. Definitely playable. The stylus allows for easy point and clicking. The 64gb is definitely needed. Even older games take up 1-2 gb. After all the updates you are left with about 34gb free. On the 32gb from what I read you are left with 6gb after unloading the backup to the micro SD card.

Photography:
Adobe just released Lightroom 5 for the iPad. However you cannot truly edit RAW files with it. It gets synchronized with the "creative cloud." This is why the Vivotab is so much better. I was able to install full Lightroom and continue my workflow completely on the go. I also installed Photoshop. The stylus helps with menu navigation, slider bars, and editing the fine detail. It works and it's not a pain. It's actually more fun than using a mouse. Again, get the 64gb if you plan on editing RAW files.

Work:
One note is very easy to use. Helps with organization, quick notes, or ideas. It also comes with full Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point. Great for presentations! Once again, Windows 8.1 has a huge advantage over iOS. It allows me to connect remotely to my job. SSL, JavaScript, and all. The 32gb will work just fine for this purpose as you can use the microSD card if you need to carry more files.

The downside:
The edges of the screen do not respond to light touch from the stylus. You just have to remember to press harder. I've tried calibrating the screen & it doesn't help. It's not a game changer because of this problem. I had the exact same problem with one of my old Lenovo laptops that had a digitizer. It takes a little getting used to. That's why I am only giving it 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the stylus integration, but a little disappointed., June 17, 2014
When anybody see me using my new tablet, they ask me what OS? And when I say Windows, they make faces, "Why did you not buy an iPad? It's the best!". And my answer is usually a mild smile. The fact is, I had an iPad 2 which I gave to my parents because it used to lay around on my table and acted more as a paper-weight. I don't like iOS and it's restrictions and wanted my next tab to be something that I would actually use. I had used Windows 8.1 on my old laptop and found it good enough for my daily use. And I definitely wanted stylus integration. This tablet had great reviews all over the internet with slight digitizer issues. I can't splurge out the money for a Microsoft Surface and this was the second best option. Here, I made my first compromise.

The stylus integration is definitely a plus and is better than having none, but the execution is not very good and hence does not live up to its potential. I faced some irregularities around the edge of the screen and if you have a case with magnetic locks, then it will definitely interfere with the digitizer. Thankfully, I bought the Asus VersaSleeve and I think it's a great cover. It also has magnetic sleeves, but since you have to take the tablet out of the sleeve for any stylus use, there is no interference. Also, the stylus is too thin to be useful for long stretches of use. I should buy a Microsoft Surface Pro Pen.

The lack of tablet specific apps (read metro apps) that you would easily find on Android or iOS is a problem. You can always find alternatives, some of which are actually better than their official counterparts (e.g. Hyper for Youtube, Clouder for Soundcloud), but the Windows Store has a long way to go before claiming an equal status with Apple App Store or Google Play Store. But that's not really a big worry for me. I own an HTC One and for most mobile cases, I would be using my phone rather than the tablet. The tablet is for my lectures and reading research papers.

But the advantage of having the Windows desktop is really great and is the main reason I find using this tablet more often than not. You can install desktop apps and unless they are really resource heavy, they work as well as they do on an average laptop. My primary use-case was the classroom scenario and this tablet is ideal for that: portable, stylus-enabled, has desktop apps as well and I can have my research specific software like Mendeley etc. with me all the time. I have tried using iPad during lectures and it does not fit my bill.

As for the positives, there are many:
1) I actually see myself using the tablet much more than the iPad 2 that I once had.
2) It's got a very nicely textured back and the proportions and weight is great for holding (even in one hand). The bezels are similar to the Nexus 7 and big enough so that you can hold it without touching the screen.
3) The palm rejection of the digitizer is really good.
4) All the metro apps as well as the desktop mode work fluently in the Intel Atom Z3740 processor.
5) Official MS Office included in the price.
6) Good battery life and stand-by time. I have not recharged for the last 2 days with mild usage.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase but it has come a little short on expectations with respect to the Wacom digitizer. We can only hope that it's a software issue and Wacom will provide a fix.

Note: If you zero-in on this tablet, please buy the 64 GB version. I bought the 64 GB version and it has around 35-40 GB for use at fresh start (with MS Office).

Rate and Discover Movies