5.0 out of 5 stars Great backpacking shoe
Published on June 1, 2012 by mtndragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Returned item
Published 14 months ago by Martin J. Coady

5.0 out of 5 stars Great backpacking shoe, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Vivobarefoot Men's Ultra Pure Running Shoe (Apparel)
I got these for a camp/backpacking shoe, and they are amazing! Super lightweight and comfortable. I use to carry a lightweight pair of flip flops and five fingers for stream crossings and lake swimming, but have since switched over to just these. They are lighter than my flip flops and amazingly versatile. They do run a bit big though, and I actually had to order the next size down from my standard Euro size.

4.0 out of 5 stars New but old, October 16, 2012
These shoes provide a completely new approach to running. I'm told that this is a throwback to the
natural way that feet are supposed to work. I have had two knee surgerys and two hip replacements
and running was something I had given up on. I purchased these shoes simply as watershoes and planned
to walk on the beach. After a few times everything worked so well that I began to push the envelope,
today I ran 3miles in a 35 minutes, I'm still cautious but being able to run at all is progress. The
change in gait from heel to forefoot seems to put the shock on other areas and allows me to run with
no knee swelling and no hip pain. I've still only logged 35 miles but am really happy with the results
thus far.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star if bottom didn't wear out so fast., June 30, 2012
I love these shoes. Very light and comfortable. They seem to wear fast on the bottom. Other than that, I am very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable shoe I have ever worn!, November 30, 2012
I purchased a pair of the Vivobarefoot Men's Ultra Shoe in Black several months ago in Washington, DC. It was not the "Pure" model. The difference in the "Men's Ultra" model and the "Men's Ultra Pure" model is the Pure model does not include the mesh inner liner. It is the outer shell only. However both shoes are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I find the wider toe cage extremely comfortable, and it helps that the inner mesh liner is compatible with any of the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure Shoes. I highly recommend this shoe for casual wear. You will not regret the purchase of this shoe...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Shoe!!, September 22, 2012
John R. Fox "WxHerk" (Yoknapatawpha County) - See all my reviews
The Vivobarefoot shoe is GREAT!! I was a bit concerned, as I wear a wide, but the shoe's rubber construction stretches the tiny amount needed to snug up perfectly, while remaining very comfortable. The minimal sole is perfect for landing properly while running, feeling the ground, and establishing a firm, solid base, while lifting weights and kettlebells. I'm VERY happy with this shoe and will certainly look to Vivobarefoot to meet any further shoe needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ultra-light Hiking Shoe, December 11, 2012
I used these shoes with regular socks on the Appalachian Trail up to Blood Mountain in Georgia for a two day,twelve mile camping trip in mist and light rain. I usually wear tennis or light hiking boots. Wow - these shoes were great on the trail. You feel rocks/tree roots a little more the in the Vivobarefoot's than in tennis shoes or hiking boots, but their very low weight, good overall arch support and flexibility make these my favorite hiking shoe. I'm 55 and not a trail runner, but I will use these shoes in the future whenever I am out hiking in the woods.

3.0 out of 5 stars Returned item, October 11, 2013
Perhaps its the way they are supposed to fit, but I found them too wide. I had planned to use them first for walking and then try jogging in them. Because my foot could move around so freely, however, I feared they would rub blisters. I didn't test them out beyond trying them on and walking around the house for a bit because if I put obvious wear and tear on them, Amazon might have been unwilling to accept a return. They are pretty cool looking and would make good shoes for water activity as well as running or walking if you can get a snug fit. The lacing system seems solid and makes them feel sufficiently snug top to bottom but the sides were fairly stiff and wouldn't draw in to the sides of my feet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, April 12, 2014
I love them but they are not runners. These are pool shoes at best. They look and feel great but they are not robust enough for my distances. 5k maybe 10k but anything further than that these will not last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Good barefoot feel, but the topline of the heel rubs my boney ankle, April 9, 2013
I've found these to be a decent shoe for the purpose I had in mind. (running on slightly sharp surfaces...ie, gravel), however the topline of the heel rubs the bottom of my inner ankle bone. Caused chaffing/broke skin within 2mi on 1st run.

The liner included with the Ultra would probably stop this from occurring, but I'd rather have the open ventilation as I'm used to huaraches or barefoot.

Good flexible sole. Decent grip, although you won't be running uphill on wet grass very easily.

Probably a little fragile/short lasting for those without light footstrikes/proper form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, January 9, 2013
I love these shoes. I bought them as a hot weather walking shoe, not as a running shoe. They are great for that, but I've also been enjoying climbing around on rocks at the beach and working out in them. They are as breathable as sandals but better for most athletic activities. I may also end up using them for martial arts. I have worn them. A lot the last few weeks and haven't really seen much wear on the soles.

Vivobarefoot Men's Ultra Pure Running Shoe