5.0 out of 5 stars Viz Media
Would like to give a higher ratings but wont work on Kindle Fire HD.

Published 21 months ago by Wendy A. Fowler

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it
It's very difficult to navigate from pages to pages using the quick scroll at the bottom of the page. in other devices, tapping on the manga i want to read on the first page will bring me to that manga, but it doesn't happen on a Kindle Fire HD
Published 14 months ago by Gary Ng

5.0 out of 5 stars Viz Media, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
Would like to give a higher ratings but wont work on Kindle Fire HD.

Updated try to get this to work on my Kindle Fire HD did not go through. Get a message saying "You do not own any multi-device in-app items for this app." Which I have no ideal what that means. I even add the Android app store but it could not find it on the kindle...Reset Kindle to factory set so I wont have any problems later on. Hope they make this for the HD soon.

Went through customer service via email and chat room. Finally discovered this will not work with the newer Kindle Fire HD. Hope the developers will get this to work for the newer models.

Update...they finally got to work for Kindle Fire HD! This is great news! Download from your kindle fire to make sure it goes in okay. Check out the free manga (couple chapters) then decide which ones to get!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Viz manga app, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
To start this review, readers should know that this app can only be applied to media tablets 7" or smaller, ipads, and smart phones normally. However, This app can be installed on certain larger tablets ( I have the asus transformer infinity 10.1") via amazon app. I find that reading manga through this app to be much more enjoyable than reading through the vizmanga.com site where I had to constantly adjust the page size and wait for load time. For people who don't like to use credit cards this app (through the amazon app)can use amazon gift cards to pay for manga instead of using a credit card on the viz site. With the large selection of manga viz has and its soon to be same day as japan release of shonen jump (compared to the two week delay currently) there is no reason not to have this app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire + Viz = Manga For Everyone, October 12, 2012
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
Finally available for Kindle! I'm so excited I've already subscribed to Shonen Jump Alpha which is awesome! reading on the Kindle Fire is easy, the pages look great and bookmarking is just as simple. Ordering Manga is fast and as current as it is in the States. Support Manga & download THIS app before bad things happen to all of us!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More manga!!!!!!!!!!!, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
I'm very happy that you can purchase a bigger variety of manga besides all the yaoi that you can buy off the kindle book store. Now I have otomen, Bakuman, naruto, vampire knight, and ouran high school host club for cheaper than ever!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Manga for all, November 25, 2012
Charles (Las Vegas, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
This is a great app for those that want to take their manga with them. I found it fairly easy to find the manga I wanted. Downloading was easy as well. The only complaint was that manga purchased through this app on the kindle was only for the kindle.Viz Manga

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for SJAlpha subscribers, November 6, 2012
Thom Sisson (Ringgold, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
Linked with a SJalpha.com subscription (previously Shonen Jump Magazine before they went digital in March 2012) this app is very useful. You can preview manga, read some first volumes for free, and buy and download content. For the Kindle Fire the manga you download only appears to be available to read through the app itself. I presume this is because of the reverse reading format of manga (right to left instead of left to right). Page loading times take a couple seconds in my experience so far, and the bookmarking tool seems to be a little off. For example I will bookmark at page 100 and when I return it seems to jump ahead a few pages, but nothing major.

I believe there are a handful of features available for people who have a Viz Media account and are not SJalpha subscribers, but since I have been a subscriber for a while now I did not look into what the limitations were. Since the app is free though I don't see where there would be harm in downloading it to check it out. Having the convenience of it being synced with your Amazon Digital account is also a plus.

Image quality is good, and I had no trouble viewing pages or text. I actually think that the Kindle Fire is the perfect size for viewing manga as the screen size is not much different than page sizes of most manga.

Overall if you are a fan of Viz or Shonen Jump you should definitely give this a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome app, October 18, 2013
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
This is a awesome app for shonen jump and pretty much any kind of manga you want. It's free and awesome .I would suggest it highly

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing More than Advertised, May 24, 2013
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
Let me just start out by saying that this app never tried to appear to be anything other than a digital store for VIZ Media content so it is at least honest. In it you can purchase and read manga you've purchased on either a by volume basis or read the current issue of Shonen Jump. The first volume of nearly every manga on here is free however, and that can be a great way to sample some new content which I really enjoyed. My only complaints with the app are minor and honestly I expected them going in.

For starters, you can only read viz affiliated material. Again that is to be expected going in, but I feel that the company could have benefited from including access to their competitors content. By charging them at a more expensive rate, the incentive was still there to buy their products first. Not to mention the difference in purchasing price could make up for the costs of renting the licenses and virtual publishing rights to said products. It's not a deal breaker by any means, and this app is still a must have for manga readers. I just feel a more universal stance could have been taken by VIZ to be a complete manga experience on my kindle, and it left me a little disappointed.

Another complaint I have is that panel by panel view (seen in other apps or from direct downloads off of Amazon.com for my kindle) is not available for most if not all of the content I tried. It's not a huge thing for me because I only use it on a few rare occasions. But I can see it being a big problem for many users, and something I felt worth noting in this review. For all that it doesn't have that however, the actual reader itself is well designed. The images of the pages were all very rich and the lettering easy to read and enjoy on my Kindle. The bookmark system and page scrolling are all easy to use and work well on the kindle as well.

All in all I like this app, even if it could have been better. It's a solid virtual marketplace with enough features to get me to purchase my Viz manga through it, rather than directly via the amazon marketplace. If for no other reason than it being free and having a lot of free samples, I recommend this to long time manga fans and curious newcomers as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on Kindle Fire HD, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
pages look great, pretty much the size of the paperback version on my Kindle Fire 7"

it seems like every series has a free sample download

once you buy a book you can download it on other devices too

no complaints, it works nicely

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, could be better, November 7, 2013
Jeremy Kuhne (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viz Manga (App)
Update 2/27/14: Finally works on HDX 8.9! Now if you could only view your "mature" titles and the image quality were better I'd give this a raving 5 stars.

Fair warning: currently doesn't work with the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Pages are cropped and unreadable. Another note should they happen to see this: Viz has cryptic customer service- very difficult to find contact information.

Update 11/8/13: Viz support responded "Unfortunately, at this time, our app is not compatible with the Kindle Fire HDX. While we have no current plans for expanding our app onto the Kindle Fire HDX, if there's enough support for it, we'll definitely look into it!"

As it is hard to find, the contact email is "customer_service". Domain is viz.com.

Update 1/6/14: Still doesn't work :( Such an easy issue to fix- come on Viz!

Viz Manga