Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

VINE VOICEon February 13, 2006
Sam's Club had it on sale for $899 on Thanksgiving day (now their reg. price)when I purchased it. I haven't had any problems at all. It has a great picture and for the price, one cannot beat the features, including HMDI. The ONLY reason I gave it 4 stars vs. 5, is there is no separate digital audio output. I haven't had to deal w/ their customer service, but I feel confident Sam's would not deal w/ a company that did not offer adequate customer service. For the person who only thinks frequent reviewers are credible, I've written numerous reviews, albeit mostly for kitchen and housewares.
ADDENDUM:
Well I was wrong! It worked perfectly until 10/20/06. VIZIO customer service is EXTREMELY POOR and a week later I'm still waiting to find out if there is a service center in my area or their address to ship it for repair. Be prepared to call a non-toll free # and to be on hold for about 20-30 minutes only to be told to leave a message.
ADDENDUM 02/24/08 per commenter request:
After several CS attempts, I finally got a person whom once I told my story AGAIN, immediately knew what the issue was since it had happened so many times!! They had received a bad shipment of some part and for them it was easier (more cost effective?? but what about reputation??) to wait until the product failed and then repair (IF still under warranty) which luckily mine was. The contracted service rep came on time and it took him maybe 10 minutes to replace the part. He told me I probably would not have any other issues as this really was a "good" set (he worked on all brands). To his credit, I have not had any issue and this TV remains in my good favor. Of course now it costs about half of what I paid and it is a bit outdated. Since it's my BR TV, it will stay put until it dies again.
Addendum 12/10/10: Just an FYI that this TV is still working perfectly-so that's over 5 years of trouble free service-hope I haven't jinxed it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2006
I have had the L32 for less than one year. All of a sudden,
the screen started blacking out, then it would come back
on. At first, it would happen only once during a 2 hour
watch, now it is blacking out every 5 minutes, Vizio
has promised to send out a repairman. I like the TV and
hope this is an unusual case. Update...Vizio had a Tech.
replace a ckt board....TV now works fine.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Updated on Dec-26-2007 - Not much updated from the original review.

This review is for the 32" Vizio LCD bought in late June 2006.
4 stars because I have used it for 2 weeks (6-10 hours every day) and the TV has performed well so far. Have to see how it does in the next 3-6 months.

Overall, I felt it was the best combination of features I wanted and the price I wanted to pay; + the promised at-home technical support (they have to come through on that).

My Buying Criteria + Review:
---------------------------

1.) Less than $1000
Prices in the ~30" size have dropped significantly in the last 1 year that I felt confident that manufacturers have taken in decent profits on early releases.
2.) 'Decent' size
Since most (probably all) sub-$1000 HDTV's are not 1080p yet, I wanted to buy a TV that I could later move into my bedroom (and not crowd it with a humongous wall filler) once 1080p TV's are cheaper.
3.) HD/ATSC Tuner
I am not planning to get cable for the next few months; can't get satellite (north facing apt). Hence, I need the HD tuner to get over the air (ota) signals. Also bought a Terk HD antenna for that.
4.) VGA input (called RGB on Vizio)
Plan to use my PC as a media server to watch home movies, listen to my mp3 collection and ocassionally surf on the net. The PIP/PBP combination of VGA with other inputs is restricted. This TV can't do PIP/PBP of VGA with ota signals. Viewing RGB & HD OTA won't happen until the TV's have multiple HD tuners.
5.) PIP and Picture-By-Picture (PBP)
A little disappointing that although the Vizio has both, it restricts the combination of inputs allowed in using PIP & PBP.
6.) Variety of inputs, especially HDMI
Would've been nicer if they used DVI instead of VGA for PC input.
7.) No dead pixel policy
8.) Simple instructions/diagram for connecting components

Surprises (may apply to other HDTV's too):
---------
1. Speaker quality a lot better than I expected. Haven't connected my home theater system to this yet.
2. Looks - silver-black finish is nice, speakers at bottom are less distracting than side speakers. Black border of TV around screen area means that when the content does not fill up screen it blends in with black borders of content. (for ads, widescreen aspect ratio, standard definition channels...)
3. At 40lbs, I can move it around the house very conveniently.
4. Number and quality of over the air (ota) HD and SD digital channels.
5. Remote Control - decently designed, unlike my Yamaha Amp/Tuner, Sony/Aiwa DVD Players. Would've been nicer if it was backlit or had some fluorescent coating.
on May 19, 2006
I can only offer my experience with this TV. I had it connected to a XBox360 through component. Games looked great in bright scenes and brought my gaming experience to a new level. Dark scene are difficult to see. A lot of detail was lost when compared to a 5 year old Philips tube but still playable. HD video looked good except for dark scenes. I sampled HD video with the samples that are provided on the 360 hard drive. DVD movies on the other hand were terrible. I had the 360 set to 720p output. I'm not sure if scaling is done on the 360 or by the TV but there are artifacts around everything that moves. The Vivid 1, 2, and 3 settings results in red skin tones and those are the only manufacture predefined settings. I was able to find a user defined setting that brought natural looking skin tones and was impressed but again, dark scenes left me wanting more. Those vivid setting didn't bother me during game play.

Audio was connected by the LR composite on the 360. Stereo sound was good. I did not like the surround sound effect because it destroys any sense of stereo sound. I everything sounded like it was coming from everywhere but I have yet to experience virtual surround that I thought worked.

The remote is very functional and weighs almost nothing. It has a good set of connections at this price point with D-Sub, 1 HDMI, 2 component and 1 optical out which I think is great for a bedroom TV. These connections face downward so setting them up was annoying but I guess better for the wires as it reduces the stress on them.

In the end, I returned the TV and bought a different TV (Samsung LN-S3251D) which I am happy with. It has better picture quality in every way. If you're here because this is the most you can spend, then get this TV. From my research, its the best you can get as of the time of this writing for the price. I originally bought this because I'm on a college budget but decided I would be happier by working a couple more hours and getting something better which I hope lasts for a number of years. Good luck with your shopping.
on December 21, 2005
The VIZIO HDTV stopped working and I waited three months for someone to call me to repair it. Meanwhile they sent me emails that I should wait and be patient. The phone number for cutomer service is not toll free and you wait on the line so much to talk to someone.

I returned it to the store.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2006
I got my new TV, and in the first week I had to return it for a replacement. Customer service had to be ummm "encouraged" to move at the proper speed to do an advanced exchange for me, but once all paperwork was ironed out, I had a new unit within two days, and they paid for shipping back to them of the old unit. New unit seems to work just fine.
on January 27, 2007
We bought this tv at Sam's Club for 699.99. We loved the picture on it in Sams and some of the salespeople recommended it over some other tv's that we were looking at. However, the SAME DAY we hooked it up, we had problems with it. When you turn it on, the sound would come on, but no picture. It was not an issue of "tubes heating up" because I left it on a good 2 minutes once to see if it would come on. Turning it off and back on usually fixes it, but not always. After a while, we just boxed it up and took it back to Sam's, who took it back and refunded us in full. We bought a different HDTV from a different manufacturer; if Vizio makes TV's with such a simple problem, then I do not have much faith in them. Sam's has an excellent return policy on TV's. It's pretty much unconditional and has no time limit.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2006
Congratulations for those who value their hard earn dollar that wanted a large wide screen HDTV LCD and got the Vizio L32HDTV 32". If you got some extra cash and is a video expert, you might as well past on this set. For values and features there are none even close. The image is great, but not the best in term of sharpness. I am going to compare this to a Panasonic HDTV 26" square tube and the SHARP LC-26SH10U 26" LCD HDTV.

Features:
Wow, PIP, over-air channels info, VGA, HDMI, 2-componets, even digital out. The built in HDTV tuner is the fastest I seen, but still slower then analog. It is very light for a 32" LCD set. The screen height is comparable to about a 26"-27" square analog. The best engineer case I have seen. It is fast to detach four side clips to remove the top. The colors are very accurate and vibrant. The three presets image settings are great and there is one user defines setting. Overall there are not many settings to adjust from. Built-in HDTV tuner is standard for all new sets by law. 32" for 799 is beyond its time. Good sounds from speakers.

The not so good features:
Sharp image is the major downfall if you have seen HDTV at its best and it is not at its best with this set. You can even see this at Costco. The image detail on the hairline and eyes are duller then other. Dark areas on screen are dark and you can't make out any details like other LCD sets. It is unbearable to watch Star War on DVD, since the details and sharpness are so fuzzy. DTV is good if you don't compare it to other HDTV set quality. The Tonight Show broadcast doesn't jump out at you like a Sharp LCD.
One antenna for DTV and another for analog is one too many. Analog reception is painful. Sharp was a little better and the Panasonic was the best, but no HDTV sets can produce any comparable quality analog reception. The image setting lack cool, normal, warm adjustment, which most sets can? I don't know why LCD sets don't have as good auto-scaling like the tube HDTV set? For DVD input it is manual.

I will over look on the lack of sharpness and would consider this a great buy with 4.5 stars. I guess you would just have to sit further from the set. ABC and NBC 1080i broadcast are the best. HD sport, mainly football, is why I got this device. Go to locate warehouse store and see for yourself and compare it.
on February 20, 2006
I purchased the Vizio L32 from Sam's Club in Feb 2006 for $896 on sale, reg $996.

The LCD is very good especially for the price, I did alot of research and this was the best 32" LCD under $1000 before tax. It displays blacks well but not the best; in bright colors is where it excels; they're absolutly stunning. It has the better resolution (1366X768) and above average contrast ratio and brightness level. The BEST aspect is the LCD is BACKLIGHT. This is sooo important. Good LCD's have adjustable backlighting which this LCD has. This controls how much physical light is used, (this is different then normal brighness adjust which this LCD has as well). You can turn the backlighting off of course, but when you turn it on the screen is so much more vibrant and colorfull. Go to Best Buy and check out the different TV's some with and some with out the backlight. You'll see the LCD's with BACKLIGHT are superior.

Other features include PIP and Split Screen, HDMI input, PC VGA input (they call it 15 pin or RGB but it's the same as VGA), pc audio input, 2 Component, s-video, many standard a/v and composite as well. Audio output to stereo or hometheater. It's 16x9 standard widesreen but also has a variety of widescreen formats and zoom modes and standard 4:3 modes to choose from. The built in speakers are also way above average, there are a slew of audio adjustment option (bass, treble, balance, surround, stereo, mono, all adjustable) and the sound is prob the best I've ever heard from a tv, very good. The L32 stays pretty cool, many LCD's emit a lot of heat and therefore must be well ventilated, the L32 is still relativly cool even after hours of use.

I also use my L32 to play games on my Xbox 360, 360 owners this is a great LCD if your looking to upgrade to High Definition for your Xbox 360. 32" is perfect for gaming, it's big enough to please you but not too big. If the screen is too big then you miss important stuff because you can only take in part of the screen at once. For example you would be looking at something on the left side of the screen but miss whatever is going on on the right side because the screen would be too big to see and take in everything at once, your eyes would be too busy scanning from left to right all the time (gives me headaches). That is why 32" is perfect.
on December 22, 2005
I am very happy with this purchase. The Vizio L32 is an awesome deal and fortunately I ordered in time for the $100.00 rebate, which was icing on the cake for the great value of this display. You can buy better specs, but not at this price. I am using HDMI for digital cable input and the Component inputs for DVD, and the picture is outstanding. There are a generous amount of additional AV inputs for various other components such as video games, etc. The product design seems to be very solid and a great form factor for those with limited horizontal space. The sound is very nice from the built in speakers, but I have it hooked to surround sound as well. For its size, the set if surprisingly light (much lighter than a 30" Olevia I bought about 1yr ago). To program other universal remotes (such as your cable or satellite) to work with the Vizio TV, go to the Vizio website at [...] product support page and click on FAQ's to get a PDF of remote code information.