Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on July 16, 2013
I, too, found the picture to be incredibly washed out. None of the preset picture modes (i.e., Standard, Movie, Game, Vivid, etc.) fixed the issue. I came very close to returning the television to Costco, where I purchased it; but, since it was wall-mounted about 9' high up, I thought I had better try manually correcting the picture before going through all of that hassle . . .

I found the two most important settings to adjust to fix the "washed out" picture are the Ambient Light Sensor and the Backlight Control (both of which are found by pressing the Menu button on the remote control and choosing Picture, then choosing "Custom" for the Picture Mode. Next scroll down to "More" and scroll down to "Advanced Picture"). In this Menu, I made the following adjustments:

Noise Reduction = High
MPEG NR = High
Color Enhancement = Rich Color
Adaptive Luma = Extend
Film Mode = Auto
Backlight Control = DCR
Ambient Light Sensor = Off

Next, hit the Back button on the remote control and go up to Color Temperature, changing it to "Normal."

Finally, hit the Back button 2x on the remote control and adjust these settings to your liking. I set mine as follows, but these may not work for your particular television:

Backlight = 55
Brightness = 25
Contrast = 40
Color = 85
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 20

I am now completely satisfied with the picture and am glad I took the time to play with the settings to get rid of that "washed out" look. As of this writing, though, I have only had this television for two days. I have, however, purchased two other Vizio televisions and have had them for 2 to 3 years and am pleased with them both, so I anticipate this television, too, will be a good television for years to come.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
I have had a Toshiba Regza 42" HD 720 since 2007. Perfect in every way. I decided to move that TV into another room and trade up to a larger screen and 1080. I have been so disappointed with this TV that I am returning it.

1. The picture is washed out. I have tried every single mode and variation to get a crisp and colorful, though not harsh picture. I can't find an acceptable picture in any mode. I keep returning to the Toshiba to see a vivid, though not cartoonish, picture.

2. The audio sound is awful. I wired the audio outputs to an old receiver and speakers, so this was not a deal breaker. But I don't need stereo sound to watch the news, so I used the TV's own audio. Harsh, tinny sound.

3. Matte finish. The location for this TV is in a sunny room with a lot of light shining in the windows. The Toshiba never showed any reflection, always delivered a bright picture. This Vizio shows every reflection from sunlight through indoor lamps.

4. Connections. Very few. I had to buy both a component splitter and additional cables to hook up my DVD player and Karaoke player.

I don't know why I bought this TV. Perhaps the low price. I have a Vizio 26" HD in my bedroom and it works splendidly, so it's not the brand. I'll have to do more research to find the TV I'm looking for. In the meantime, back to the store.
on February 17, 2013
We found this television at Costco for $499 (mind you it is not a smart - tv) so we had to fork out the additional cash on the roku box. Either way, we are not disappointed in either!

We checked out some of the other Vizio Smart TVs and they had most of the big apps but no hbogo, and that was a deal breaker for us - so we went with the 'dumb-tv' + the roku box.

I liked the minimalist look of this set, the frame is about 1/2" all the way around. So most of what you see is the picture which we liked.

The picture is very good, crisp and with nice colors. We also upgraded from a plasma and appreciate that the screen has more of a matte finish vs glossy.

The only area this leaves something to be desired is the audio.
on March 8, 2013
I was more excited unwrapping this TV than when I turned it on. The picture is a little fuzzy and not as clear and sharp as I was hoping it would be. I'm disappointed that I wasn't excited about it for more than the 10 minutes it took me to set it up. Having said that, it's not so terrible that it's worth the trouble to package it up and return it. It's just kind of there.
on February 6, 2013
This TV was the best deal we could find out there...we paid $500 for this and it is a great tv...no complaints!
on April 11, 2013
I bought the TV from Costco and I paid $499. I have bought Vizio's in the past but it's been a few years. I am very happy with this purchase. I didn't need 3D or Apps (as I use a Boxee Box) so this set had everything I needed. It did take me a few days to get the video settings to my liking. It was way too dark. Once the settings where configured I couldn't be happier.
on October 6, 2013
Best purchase I have ever made on Amazon! Not just because of the tv but because of he sellers, dealing with Tim and iShopusa was a joy!
I would deal with this team again and look forward to my next purchase with them! Thanks guys for making what could have been a pain and weeks of hassle a smooth and pleasurable experience.
on April 15, 2014
I love this TV , it is wonderful. I love the Vizio brand. It is the only brand I will buy. I am very satisfied. Thankyou
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
The TV is working fine and the picture is excellent. No complaints right now on the set. The price was outstanding. I tried to buy another one a week later and the price went up $50. Only gripe if any was there were no instructions on setup in the box. I had to download them from the web. Visio would offer no help because they said the set was a closeout from Costco. I purchased it on Amazon from a third party seller. Amazon said they could not help me out with the lack of instructions and that if I was unhappy I had to return the TV. Not very happy about that.
on August 12, 2013
This purchase is just what we were after. If I had to purchase again I would do so from this supplier.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse