Most helpful positive review
65 of 69 people found the following review helpful
Seriously rivals higher end home theather systems
on December 24, 2012
After using a Samsung 5.1 channel surround system for our living room for the past 2 years, my spouse and I started looking into sound bars to eliminate speaker placement issues, wiring clutter, and lack of power.
I purchased a Vizio SB4021M-A1 sound bar at a national wholesale warehouse store and I couldn't be happier with my purchase! I had absolutely no problems setting the system up. Turning the wireless subwoofer on before the sound bar automatically links it, no configuration required. Turning them on the other way around will require one to press and release the 'Link' button in the rear side of the subwoofer. The system includes an RCA cable, but an optical cable is strongly recommended for optimal sound quality.
The audio settings are as follows:
- Volume control setting scale from 0 to 35
- Bass and treble settings scale from -10 to 10
- TruVolume: Evens out audio volume. I enable it only when watching TV to compress the extremely irritating louder volume of TV commercials.
- SRS TruSurround HD (STHD): processes multichannel audio for two speakers in a way that tricks the brain into thinking there are more than two speakers [...] This is the first feature I enabled out of the box.
- Input options: RCA, optical, USB (USB did not work with my iPhone 4). Again, an optical cable is strongly recommended.
We have a 1 year old child as of the date of this review. Our previous home theater system didn't phase her one bit. With the volume set at only 15 on the Vizio SB4021M-A1 system during "The Avengers", my daughter became startled and quickly ran into my arms at The Hulk's first roar when Bruce Banner has his first transformation in the film. I've gone through "Act of Valor", "Jurassic Park", and "The Dark Knight Rises" on this system and I was extremely impressed with the sound clarity and the STHD feature. In terms of sound quality, this system rivals the "high end" manufacturers like Bose. It personally came THAT close for me.
The reasons I gave this product four stars are because it wouldn't play music off my iPhone 4 and because at times, it can become slightly cumbersome to catch a signal from the remote control. Overall, the Vizio SB4021M-A1 is a fantastic sound bar system for those on a budget. The subwoofer pumps out excellent bass for its size, and keep in mind that placement has a whole lot to do with that. The user manual recommends placing the subwoofer against a corner for optimal sound performance. Since the subwoofer has a LINE-OF-SIGHT wireless range of up to 60 feet, it can be placed in any corner of the room within range of an electrical outlet and within line-of-sight of the sound bar.
Overall, this an excellent system for those on a budget or who don't want to burn over $1,000 on a high-end sound bar/multiple speaker system.
- excellent sound quality considering price
- great STHD processing
- extremely easy to set up
- user friendly interface and controls
- wireless subwoofer for greater placement flexibility
- wall mounts and mounting template included
- although subwoofer range is 60 ft, it has to be within line-of-sight of the sound bar
- does not appear to support iPhone (did not test USB connectivity on flash drive as of date of review)
- remote control signal slightly weak
2013-02-05 UPDATE: I found the issue with the remote control. The battery cover doesn't press it down with enough pressure to make solid contact. I resolved the issue by cutting a 1"x1.5" piece off a sheet of printer paper, folding it no more than 4 times, and placing it on top of the battery before sliding the cover back on. This applies enough pressure on the battery to make a good contact.