Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vogelzang TR003 Highlander EPA Wood Stove
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 13, 2010
I've been heating with this stove in Northern MI for two years and for the price it heats as well as stoves that cost three times as much. I should know, my parents both heat with Lopi stoves that are quite pricey in their 2 houses both similar in size to ours. While it doesn't heat the full 1700 sq ft of our house, it keeps the core area around the stove nice and warm and spreads at least a reasonable amount of heat throughout the house to knock off the chill in the distant areas. I would suggest burning only nicely seasoned hardwood in this stove as softwood and even softer hardwoods don't put out the heat. We burn red oak exclusively and can keep the core of our home, which is a 1930's farmhouse, between 65-75 even on bitterly cold winter days. One final suggestion, make sure you follow the chimney guidelines to the letter and install the minimum of 15 ft of chimney above the stove as if you cut corners with it the stove will not draft correctly and won't heat up to it's intended levels. I'd recommend this stove to anyone who wants a good, solid wood stove at a good price.
on December 14, 2008
Where do I begin? This heater is no heater at all. We bought it when our 30 year old wood heater became a hazard. Ordered it from our local lumber company. It does not heat 100sq. ft. much less 600 to 1000. The stay clear glass immediately became covered with soot and within one week the "Z" bar, baffle support fell out. Unable to get a response from the company during the holidays, we continued to try to heat with it. After a couple weeks, they finally called us back, and told us the airflow was affected due to the bar being out, and to just pop it back in. Finally got it back in, only to find it still did not heat well. After about three weeks it is out again. Just fell out while heater was in use. Not being loaded or wood being moved at all. I opened the door to find it lying in the opening. Am in the process to see if I have any recourse or any possibility of a refund!
on January 11, 2011
While the stove itself is great (owned it for the last 4-5 years) the blower heater has not worked properly for the last 3-4 years. It is terrible. When it does run it makes a terrible noise and only one of the fans works. We have taken it apart and cleaned it etc. to no avail.
on March 4, 2013
We have this stove in a 600 sf room, and it hardly keeps the room warm. The opening is so small it's hard to get wood into, so we have to cut it into ridiculously small pieces. This stove was certainly a waste of money.

Edit to add - not even a year after installing it, the fan completely quit working. If I could give 0 stars I would.
on January 8, 2016
The Vogelzang Highlander wood "stove." I put the term in quotations because it would be more accurate to call it a wood-roaster. This thing is so prone to creosote development that I almost wonder if the Chinese didn't export it here as part of a preemptive incendiary bombing project. The firebox is so small, that it must be tended to every hour for optimal burning, which requires carefully monitoring the stove to ensure that there is a hot bed of embers, and enough fuel to last another hour without extinguishing, but also leaving enough air space so that the fuel does not smoulder.

Perhaps the most ridiculous claim Vogelzang makes is, "The Highlander wood stove efficiently heats up to 1,400 square feet"

This would be a good time to ask the Vogelzang marketing team how they define “heat.”

Not only does the stove burn inefficiently, but it does not come anywhere close to this number. Heating only the 1000sq ft downstairs of a very efficient and well-insulated house, the stove acts only as a supplement to the baseboards I use. I had hoped the baseboards would be the supplementary heat source. In a well-insulated environment such as this, I would guess the Highlander is more capable of heating a 500 sq ft space.

At a price tag of $900 new, this stove is most certainly not worth the price. After babying it for several weeks, I have bought (on credit) an extremely efficient, American-made stove that I was waiting to purchase. (The Ideal Steel Hybrid) I now patiently wait for the replacement to arrive.

Luckily, I did not pay cash for the Highlander. It was the result of a trade. However, anyone considering this product should be aware that it is best suited for a small cabin or cottage, and not for overnight burning. If you need a stove for such a purpose, this one is worth no more than $300.
on April 20, 2015
People on this site and, who also gave this stove a bad review, do not know what they are doing. I have read reviews where people have said that they couldn't even light the stove and that's pretty bad. Enough said, first of all, you're going to have to maintain this stove like any appliance in your house. Google your particular problem on the Internet and read what it says there. one of the first things that you were going to have to replace is, the gasket around the door. For two seasons now, I have been burning hot bricks in this stove. They burn hotter, cleaner, less ash, and no bugs. I put up to 10 hot bricks in the firebox on a cold night here in New England and, I use fat wood sticks to start the fire. I cracked the door about an inch and then I close it when the bricks have ignited.
on July 5, 2012
This stove works pretty well but the firebox is just too tiny for serious heating. With correct chimney height it draws fine with no smoking, the vent control works as it should, glass stays reasonably clean. I've gotten past the Chinese part, it is pretty well designed and built-- it's just the darned toy-like firebox size doesn't allow more than 2-3 hours of burn time without constantly reloading it. We use ours to break the chill in our Alaska summer house. If we were here in the winter I'd need to upgrade to a more serious stove. Can't complain- bought it new-never used for $300. Stove pipe and chimney, and fittings cost almost three times that.
on February 24, 2010
We purchased this wood stove a few months ago and are very disappointed. The blower is so loud you cant just sit and listen to the fire ( even on the lowest setting). The damper design does not let enough air to the fire so we have to leave the door cracked and cant leave the room and the gasket already fell off and had to be replaced. Do not get this stove. Also it would be nice to have a ash box.

See 1 answered question