Steel woodstoves like this one are designed to cast off heat quickly/don't reatin it well. Good for the weekend/ambience burner but for aprimary heat source I'd consider Cast Iron which stays hot longer. Also this stove burns differently, higher temps for more efficient burn.
Published on February 1, 2011 by E. Nadolink

2.0 out of 5 stars The Performer Is The Wrong Name
Purchased at Menard's, this was a 2100 sq ft heating source with up to 12 hour burning... well I have yet to see either of those things happen. This has not burned fully loaded with prime aged wood for more than a couple hours.
Published 23 months ago by mccauley5258

4.0 out of 5 stars The Performer is a perfomer, though not perfect, a bargain at the price, February 1, 2011
Pros: This woodstove puts off some real heat once you get it going. This is the key phrase-see cons. Elegant apperance/pewter accents/chrome trim. Big glass viewing window. You dont need much clearance dut to rear heat shield. Ash drawer is better than I expected/very useful.The secondary burn is efficient and cranks up the thermometer.The price is about 1/2 of what local woodstove store charging for steel stoves.
Cons- Spiral handle falls off. Woodstove can be hard to get going, testing your patience at times (plan on 1 hour for a good solid burn where you feel confident leaving the room!) I have a mason chimney. This heats our basement well but the upstairs rarely gets beyond the low 60's. The glass does get dirty with every burn despite the "self cleaning" but a little soft scrub works well. It is made in China despite the comapny being a U.S. company (what do the chinese know about woodstoves?) but again a fair price for the product.
I had to get a dolly to get this inside/2 person job. Three perosn job assemblimg (attaching firebox to pedestal...aprox 300 lbs.
Overall

2.0 out of 5 stars The Performer Is The Wrong Name, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
This is installed 20 feet from the thermostat and that still kicks in as it always has and it heats about 1/2 of the expected area. The door has to be left open a majority of the time to provide adequate ventilation flow or it just will just choke itself out.
Having wood stoves my entire life, this one is extremely disappointing and a waste of the time installing & the money to be perfectly honest. It is very handsome in the room, but that does not help lower heating costs.
I would suggest you look at another product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wood stove + EPA certified, November 17, 2011
This stove is fantastic! I replaced a Country Comfort built in 1986 for this EPA Wood stove and it is night and day difference. Fires are super easy to light, and get going very quickly. There is no visable smoke out of my chimney anymore, nor can you smell it outside. Comments about the woodstove being hard to light is NOT the woodstove.....It's the chimney. A chimney should go straight up with no bends in it, and also should be located on the inside of the house NOT on the outside of the house which most chimneys in North America usually are on the outside. Visit Woodheat.org for more info. Everything you want and need to know about wood burning is available on this reliable website. Search "evil outside chimney"

Cheers,
Scott
Minnesota

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else..., December 3, 2013
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
Save Your Money!!! The stove performs very poorly. The blower is moving very little air.
I was wanting to give it only one star, the second star is for Amazon Customer Service which was outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment!, August 10, 2012
Quality item, absoultely great working condition, better than hoped for, handle can get warm, compact size perfect for our home, CUT OUR HEATING BILLS!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some free advice for Vogelzang, January 4, 2015
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
I'm half way through winter 4. With a $10 grate from Menards, this is a great stove. Don’t buy the grate from Vogelzang, it's junk and melts through in about a month. Per Vogelzang, this stove is not to be used with a grate and may damage the stove if you do. If you don’t, your stove will not burn for crap. It will lay full of unburnt coals when you have to clean it out every to every other day wasting all that energy and putting out minimal heat. With the grate the stove puts out ample heat and requires ash clean out every 3-4 days. The grate from minards is on winter 2 and is just starting to burn through. The vogelzang grate is garbage after a month. I'm a beta tester for software companies, so Vogelzang here's some perals; design the same overall stove with a built in grate system to allow air under the fuel or make just make the firebox 30% larger so we can add our own $10 grate and still load the stove for overnight burning.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality control issues, October 21, 2014
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
Purchased this stove Dec 27, 2013 to get the IRS credit on our tax return. By the time my husband installed it, we only had one fire in it just to test it. All seemed fine. Just lit my first fire of the year (second for the stove) on Sunday. Had a hard time opening and closing the door. Yesterday I went to light another fire and had to use a hammer to open the door. I noticed the gasket was stuck to the stove rather than the door as it should be, and was loose. Tried to adjust it and the whole thing fell off. Fortunately, hubby is VERY handy around the house. He had some high temperature spray on glue (I have no idea why) but he fixed it up in no time. Then he figured out why I was having such a difficult time opening and closing the door, in addition to the gasket moving, the nut holding the handle was not adjusted correctly. Appears to be some quality control issues, can you say 'made in China'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not as advertised, January 16, 2015
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
I have had this stove for 4 seasons now. This is a nice stove but not as advertised. I have a 1300 sqft single floor home with a 3/4 basement so total sqft is about 2275. I have the stove placed in the basement to help disperse the heat better. this stove can keep my house about 15 to 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp and it can get very cold on Ohio. I burn all hard wood; Ash, white Oak, Locust (Black and Honey), maple and Hedge apple. I have never been able to get the stove to burn for more then 8 hours on one full load of wood even with the dampener half way down. Also the blower that came with it is very loud at any usable speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to assemble, September 10, 2014
Amazon Customer "tdc55" (Worcester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
Really easy to assemble. Great heat output. Blower is almost inaudible on lowest setting and circulates the air well. Holds a fire ALL night. It is NOT a log hog like my old cast iron stove which I had to feed during the night or cold start in the morning. We are very glad we purchased this stove. It is a good price for a great wood stove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stove for my money!, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove (Misc.)
I bought this stove from Menards for $699 and recently saw it for $649 at Menards. I purchased it to replace an old franklin fireplace that was impossible to control and ate up lots of wood. My installation consists of 6" pipe on top of the stove going into 8" stainless triple wall as it goes thru the ceiling and out the roof. It is a straight pipe all the way up and creates a very good draft. The stove is EZ to set up and the door fits very well and is tight. One improvement I would recommend for Vogelzang is to make the door dual direction so it can be hinged right or left! The initial firing of the stove made the paint stink and I had to open up the house to vent it out. It took about four firings to cure the paint. The included blower does a fair job of moving air around the stove and is a bit on the noisy side when run of high. The ash drawer in the stove is handy but I don't use it, I just shovel out a few scoops of ash every day. I have found that getting the stove going requires paper and small kindling and leaving the door ajar for awhile until it gets up and roaring and then I can close the door and set the air intake. While the stove can burn fairly large wood I have found that in order to get The best performance you should use many smaller pieces of wood. The secondary burn chambers at the top of the stove burn gasses as they pass towards the chimney and recover huge amounts of heat heading out the top. I have a 2000 sq.' house and this stove will heat it totally once its up and running. I have noticed I use half the wood I used to use..another big benefit. The stove will hold heat and coals for 8 hours easily so getting it going in the morning just requires adding some kindling before putting in some logs, close the door and ignore it..it will fire up!.
I am totally happy with this stove and recommend it for its performance and looks. The glass door remains clean since the heat of the combustion box cooks off the soot. Five stars A+++.

Vogelzang TR009 Performer EPA Wood Stove