Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

Vol. 5 is inexcusably skimpy on the Bugs 'toons.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2007 3:57:07 PM PDT
Phishpeaks says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2007 1:05:48 PM PDT
Um...Bugs was not the only WB cartoon charecter. There have been a great many people, who opposite your view, were getting tired of the collections (about a 1/3 total) containing so much bugs when there were so many more charecters and historical cartoons of other genres to see as well. 12 cartoons (as you counted) out of 60 is still pretty good. That's 1/5 of the collection. For the number of Bugs cartoons, that should be considered a fair rationing of Warner Brothers cartoons.

But keep in mind, these are called "Looney Tunes Golden Collections", not "Bugs' Golden Collection". There's Porky, Daffy (to whom I personally would like to see more of myself), Elmer, Sylverster, Tweety, Roadrunner, Foghorn Leghorn (to which Warners needs more of too), and many many more out there making the 1,000+ cartoon vault of the classic Warner Brothers animation shorts.

If you're close-minded to just one charecter, this may not be the collection for you. But know that Warners is trying to please everyone, and everyone who is buying these collections, and voices have been heard that Bugs has taken too much space in some of these collections. 1/5 of the collection is perfect. However, 1/2 is too much, as he then takes away from what else made Warner Brothers cartoons classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2007 5:35:08 PM PDT
Well the Director's Cut of Hare Ribbin' is also here, plus there's 4 made-for-TV Bugs shorts on here.

I suspect Warner didn't give Bugs his own disc this year was to conserve Bugs cartoons for future volumes (there's only less than 200 of them, and using them up too soon will effectively doom the Looney Tunes DVD series), while at the same time showcase Bugs cartoons on the Fairy Tale and Clampett discs

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 11:34:12 AM PDT
Yep. The WB suits are going to ration out the remaining Bugs Bunny shorts in order to pump out as many volumes as possible. It is my understanding that eventually all Warners shorts will be released. That's a LOT of cartoons (over 1000). It was only a matter of time before the Bugs discs were diluted. They may issue future volumes without any Bugs Bunny. I agree that "Beanstalk Bunny" would have been very welcome in the fairy tale disc, but it can also be put in another set to make sure we have more rabbit. I think Pepe LePew and Foghorn Leghorn are due more representation, as are Bosko and Buddy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 4:34:16 PM PDT
R. Smith says:
i for one am glad to see more variety on this set. i see no reason why every golden collection should need to have a disc of bugs(they've used up too many of them already in my opinion). i really dont care how the toons are released as long as we get em all but i prefer more variety as opposed to having an entire disc devoted to one character. i also agree there does need to be more bosko and buddy. im thinking that maybe they assume those are for the diehard fans only and are waiting til later to release them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007 10:19:53 AM PDT
Yes, Bugs is good, but on the whole, some of the non Bugsy cartoon were better. Bosko, Buddy, Foxy and the others...love them all....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 7:55:34 PM PDT
Collin Reid says:
I agree that they conserve the Bugs and there has been a short on the HarmanIsing toons with Bosko (I do have the two OK Imagine DVDs.) But what is with the asking for more Buddy? Even the biggest fans of Looney Tunes know his 'toons are POS. (Clampett's comment he is Bosko in white face is the best description.)

It sort like asking for more the RoadRunner without Chucky directing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 8:41:24 AM PDT
Baruch Weiss says:
Yes I agree that Bugs is getting scarce in terms of his cartoons on this DVD, but as Wonderous Thoughts said this is the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" not Bugs Bunny's collction. Besides, after 4 volumes of haveing Bugs as the center stage on the frst disc I think it's enough allready. True He starred in 168 cartoons and at the end of the war he was Americas #1 cartoon star, but that doesen't mean he allways has to be the center of attention, but for the next several years to come I'm shure there will be more volumes with more of Bugs Bunny's cartoons. Meanwhile there's other characters whos cartoons are still not on DVD yet so Bugs Bunny isin't alone!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 9:09:55 AM PDT
If you have a problem with it, perhaps you shouldn't purchase the set? Crazy idea I know. Its so much more productive to buy it and then complain about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 9:35:02 AM PDT
Baruch Weiss says:
I Don't have a problem at all with this set read what I just posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 8:10:47 AM PDT
Phishpeaks says:
Why do I doubt that you even read the contents of my initial post? Just because I acknowledge Bugs Bunny's unique place in the Loony Tunes universe means I'm closed-minded to just one character? Um...not quite.

With good reason had a precedent been established over the first four collections giving Bugs a full disc all his own, which he deserves being that he is - and there'll be no debate of the FACT - THE signature character of the Looney Tunes franchise.

There's only one New York Yankees in Major League Baseball. Likewise, there's only one Bugs in the Looney Tunes stable. No offense to Daffy, Porky, Sylvester, Road Runner, etc. (or the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox and Mets), as they're all great characters and I enjoy their animated exploits, but the FACT is that they are - just like any band one might compare to the Beatles - consequently (and unequivocally) rendered second-tier by comparison to THE archetypal Looney Tunes creation: Bugs Bunny.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 1:53:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2007 2:01:15 PM PDT
In your initial post, you stated that you felt you had to dismiss the upcoming Volume 5 collection for one reason: "not enough Bugs". So, for others to comment in reply to a comment that came off a bit close-minded was only appropriate.

You also stated that you feel it's all propaganda from Warner Brothers to expand their DVD releases to more collections. That may be true, but for many fans of the Warner Brothers classic cartoons, as many have voiced in this discussion, that may not neccessarily be a bad thing. I, for one, have looked forward to the end of October for the last five years for these releases and still will for how ever many more years Warners wants to keep these collections coming. In addition, as I originally replied to your post, it would be nice to see a more rationed approach to the charecters and themes in each collection. Besides, I don't feel it's an intitional downsizing of Bugs by the studio that has changed in this volume, but simply a more array collection within the diversity of the Warners' vaults. The variety make it more exciting and more anticipating.

Remember, you embarked the interest of this conversation and if you feel others have taken your opinion wrong, that's in your interpretation. Not everyone is going to agree with you as such with this case. But as you can see, more than not, most are excited about this new arrangement with Volume 5 and it's the "majority" that the studios are trying to please afterall.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 10:51:32 AM PDT
Lockheede says:
Of course they're trying to spread Bugs out. As someone pointed out, there are over 1000 toons with Bugs only being in 1/5 of them. If they plan on releasing all of them, they will need to ration out the characters. If they do plan on releasing all of them, I wish the would step it up...50/year = 20+ years worth of releases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 11:25:47 AM PDT
take403 says:
It could be worse, Phish, you could get one of the all-time low cartoons, Rabbit Stew and Rabbits, Too. It features Rapid Rabbit and Quick Brown Fox. It's pretty much a poor-man's version of the Road Runner/Coyote saga. Rapid Rabbit resembles the Nestle Quick bunny, doesn't say anything, but honks a Harpo Marx-esque horn instead of saying "Beep! Beep!" Quick Brown Fox is a poorly drawn version of Wile E, and tries unsuccessfully to capture Rapid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 7:35:32 AM PST
Paul Maney says:
As a relative latecomer to this discussion, I have to agree with all those who think that the Bug's cartoons have been rationed out perfectly thus far. In fact they might be including too many to stretch over a (hopefully) 20 volume series. The 12 cartoons featuring Bugs on "Volume 5" represent fully one fifth of the set, so how can anyone be angry with that? Personally, I'd just as soon see 5-6 cartoons featuring that "wascally miscweant" per volume and up the ante a bit on Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe Le Pew, and...dare I say it, even Foxy and Bosko! Personally, as much as I love Bugs Bunny, I have to agree with Chuck Jones' assessment of Bugs vis-a-vis Daffy in
"Chuck Amuck." Bugs is Superman while Daffy is everyman. As a kid, I always preferred Spider-Man to Superman and it seems to me that those who bewail the "dearth" of Bugs cartoons are those whose tastes in every aspect of the arts are eminently predictable and commonplace. Well, I love the Ramones and despise Led Zeppelin so what do I know?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 1:04:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2007 1:24:16 AM PST
Jon says:
I certainly think 20 volumes is silly: You mean wait 15 years for the entire set? Brother I may not be alive in 15 years. I want to primarily see Bugs Bunny: and I assure anyone reading this that Bugs Bunny sells: the other characters play second fiddle to Bugs! Sorry: I have never even heard of 'bosko and buddy'. The title may in fact be 'Looney Tunes', unfortunately without Bugs Bunny showboating the DVD sets will suffer bigtime. I predict if Warner gets greedy and uses less popular fill ins like the aforementioned, people will figure it out, and simply not fork out the $ 50.00 for the set. And I know they want to make money. Face it, people want Bugs, not all the fill in crap. In order to enlighten new generations of viewers to 'Looney Tunes' Warner needs to showcase Bugs Bunny. He has and always will take center stage. Unfortunately the other characters will never be as popular as that 'wascally wabbit'!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007 9:41:41 AM PST
T. LeBaron says:
I've been a collector of these discs since they began and the answer to all of this is deceptively simple...why put ALL the good stuff into one collection when there were a total of over 1000 Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes over four decades? If all the good stuff was on the first set of discs there'd be no reason for a Volume TWO, never mind a Volume Five...so be patient, they're trying to pace themselves and your favorites will be included in subsequent sets. I'm just happy for the stuff they've put out so far, and there's still enough stuff to last them another eleven or twelve collections...and I certainly don't have the time to watch all the cartoons beginning to end through all four discs in one sitting, never mind the extra features (and they packed this one full of them). So rather than complain about what isn't included this time...hang in there, your favorites aren't necessarily mine (and vice versa). Give them time, Doc...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 8:14:35 AM PST
Readz Alot says:
YOU may 'want Bugs'. But you are not all people. If WB thinks there is sufficient market, they will release an "All Bugs" set. But what they are doing (releasing sets that include a wide range of characters and styles, including early cartoons that are certainly not just 'filler') seems to be working for them, and for millions of buyers who are not solely Bugs fans. From my POV, there is a bit too much Bugs. I enjoy him, but would like to see a wider range, including more of the early B&W cartoons!) BTW, check out Bosko. He's included in some the extras in an earlier set. You may actually enjoy seeing something new. (Or rather, somthing old. The very first Looney Tunes character.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 12:41:20 PM PST
J.Clarke says:
I, myself, am looking strictly for Bugs Cartoons and am avoiding buying these DVD sets. You say that there are "168" Bugs Bunny cartoons in all? Does that include later stuff like the horrible ones that were aired on Saturday morning cartoon shows, or are there 168 Bugs episodes from the WWII era and early 50's? Do you know? Thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 12:45:52 PM PST
J.Clarke says:
I agree with you. I am trying to not buy these DVD sets and only find Bugs Bunny cartoons in other "collections" that I can transfer onto my own burned DVD's. I've got 34 Bugs episodes so far from old VHS tape transfers I have made. Any idea how and where I can find more Bugs w/out needing to fork-over $50+ for just a few Bugs and a bunch of other characters???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 8:58:47 AM PST
Paul Maney says:
Well, by my count there are actually 171 "Bugs" cartoons if you count the so-called "prenatal" Hardaway-Dalton cartoons such as
"Porky's Hare Hunt," and "Hare-Um, Scare-Um" from the late 1930's. The last official Bugs toon is 1964's "False Hare," an eminently non-funny McKimson outing. I don't recall any "horrible" ones airing on Saturday morning, nor was Bugs dragged through the mud by the
DePatie-Freling crew whose attempts to team Daffy Duck with that useless Mexican rodent made me shake my head as a kid. Hopefully those abominations will NEVER be included on any of the "Golden Collection" sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 9:14:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2008 9:16:40 AM PST
J.Clarke says:
I just recall the episodes I'd see on Saturday mornings as not as well-animated and not as funny as the old eposides I'd catch in the mornings before going to school. Upon researching all Bugs episodes further, I find that the 1940's Bugs cartoons are the best (which I already knew)... and the episodes from the early-mid 50's are good, as well. After that, it's all Bugs vs. Yosemite Sam, and other pairings that don't interest me much. Elmer Fudd was also at his best in the 40's. I've been renting these "Golden Collection" DVD's from Netflix and transferring the episodes I want for the creation of my own collections - chronologically, no less. I may not find several episodes like "Hare Meets Herr", and "Racketeer Rabbit" as these are either unavailable on DVD or on old VHS tapes from the early 90's - which I have abandoned as a source due to the fact that about 50% of the tapes I've bought from amazon's market place and eBay are so degraded in quality that they were useless to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 9:25:47 AM PST
Paul Maney says:
It seems that for budgetary reasons, the cartoons that were produced after 1956 or so were definitely animated "on the cheap." There are still some great Bugs outings, "Transylvania 6-5000" comes to mind, but perhaps because Michael Maltese was no longer writing for
WB, many of the cartoons featuring Daffy, Foghorn Leghorn, and Pepe Le Pew just didn't stand up to the earlier ones. The lavish backgrounds of the 40's cartoons had become definitely more stylized, and while Chuck Jones was able to effectively make the transition without much reduction in quality, Robert McKimsom's outings especially became more and more mundane. If you don't have it already,
I recommend Joe Adamson's EXCELLENT book on Bugs Bunny, "Fifty Years and Only One Grey Hare." It's a wonderful compendium for the more-than-casual fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 10:45:50 AM PST
J.Clarke says:
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that book out. Btw... do you consider "Hare 'Um Scare 'Um" as Bugs Bunny? I have that on one of my home-recorded tapes, but am not sure whether it belongs on my Bugs Collection that I am putting together.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 11:06:57 AM PST
Jon says:
Volume 5 really is inexcusably skimpy on the Bugs 'toons. As a result I am fairly certain that sales will suffer. Mediocre, forgotten character fill ins like 'Bosko and Buddy' will quickly extinquish not only enthusiasm but the allure that makes these sets desirable collector items. I guarantee anyone reading this that the majority of people want to see the 'Looney tunes' of the 1940s, 50s. Anything made in the 60s and upwards is generally poor quality such as the DePatie-Freling mess. I simply can't stand sitting through any of those. If they released them in a no nonsense chronological order people would've been fully satisfied by now. They KNOW that anything made from 1960 and up will not sell on it's own because of the poor quality. As it stands warner is going to milk it for all its worth and use these uninspired, largely unpopular aformementioned fill ins to generate revenue. They choose quantity over quality which is clearly generated by an insatiable, not surprising greed not uncommon in corporate america.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about