5.0 out of 5 stars A First Look at this induction burner
I've had this unit for about three weeks. So far, I've been favorably impressed.

Published on February 13, 2012 by Dean Siewert

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but misleading description
Published 12 months ago by Robert Corcoran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A First Look at this induction burner, February 13, 2012
Dean Siewert (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vollrath 59500P Mirage Pro Countertop Induction Range, 14-Inch (Kitchen)

One of the reasons that I purchased this unit was that it had a relitively fine control of temperature. There are a couple things that you need to understand when using the temperature control feature (I think these comments would be applicable to all induction units). First off, the unit monitors temperature with a sensor about in the middle of the unit. It actually is measuring the temperature of the glass top. So, it is not unusual for the unit to initially overshoot the desired temperature. The pan hits the right temperature, but the conduction to the glass hasn't warmed it yet, so the burner continues to feed heat to the pan. Eventually everything comes to temp and the unit will then hold the temp as expected.

Because the temperature sensor depends on conduction to heat the glass, you need pans that contact the glass. I have pans that have warped bottoms (chalk it up to having kids) that heat fine on this unit, but the temperature settings are not reliable. So, pans with warped bottoms or thin wall enamalled steel pans in which the middle is slightly higher than the bottom edge of pan seem to work fine but won't be regulated properly with the temperature setting. Note that there are some cast iron fry pans that have a rib on their bottom which could also cause problems with temperature accuracy.

A second aspect of induction burners is that they expect the pots to be left on the burner. Lifting the pan to shake the contents will result in the burner shutting off. It will turn back on once the pan is replaced, but might take five seconds or more to register the return of the pan.

One trick that I've used is to put a piece of paper over the burner. This serves two purposes. The first is that it keeps things clean. But the second is that it allows sliding cast iron cookware on the burner without scratching the glass. (But remember, the paper acts as an insulator for the glass and thus the temperature sensor.)

I've had very positive interaction with the manufacturer support. Unfortunately, the manual for this unit is fairly minimal. It tells how to use the product, but doesn't explain the design aspects of the temperature management of the unit. I described the problems I was having getting the temperature regulation to work. They ended up sending out a new unit and paid postage to return the original. I have nothing but praise for their support.

Overall, I like this unit. It's built tough with a heavy gauge stainless body. The glass top is level with the metal body, so you can use pots bigger than the glass. It heats faster than our electric range (I haven't yet quantified that) and it's nice not dumping all the waste heat into the room. I like the almost instantaneous response to adjustments in heat. At this point, I'm looking for a flat bottom wok. It think it will complement this units features very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but misleading description, December 30, 2013
I was initially going to give this a one star rating. Amazon's title for this includes the description "14 inch," and on Vollrath's website they specify the maximum pan size as 14". So, at the same time I ordered the burner, I ordered some induction cookware that had a 12" base -- ordered from a vendor that has a difficult return policy and charges shipping (unlike Amazon Prime). When the induction burner arrived, the first thing I saw in the manual was that the burner was intended "to be used with induction-ready cookware with a flat, ferrous base measuring 4-1/2" to 10-1/4" wide." That is, it is NOT intended for use with cookware that's 14 inch, which is what's advertised on their website. My guess is that the 14" figure advertised simply comes from the largest size pan that won't block the controls. Giving specs of 14" for an item that says in its manual should be used for a maximum 10-1/4" is misleading at best, and some might characterize it as fraudulent misrepresentation. Does this discrepancy in size matter? Very likely. The induction effect drops off with distance. A 10" pan sits directly on the surface, while anything much larger sits slightly proud of the surface. I tried boiling 8 quarts of water in a 12" diameter induction ready stockpot, and gave up after an hour. So, to some extent, I wasted my money buying induction ready cookware intended for a 14" capacity burner. Why NOT one star? Because the burner works pretty well on pans that are within its recommended (in the manual, not advertisement) capacity. Cast iron cookware works fantastically well: when I put a 10" Lodge frypan on the burner at 100% power, the center of the pan was >600 F in four minutes. Of course, the outer edges of the pan aren't that hot, but that would be the case for any burner smaller than the diameter of the pan. And, the burner worked well with a Paderno carbon steel omelet pan: high heat for the initial stages, then "instant" drop in temperature when the power was turned down (as "instant" as you'd get with a fairly heavy high heat capacity pan on a gas burner). So, the burner works quite well when used as recommended in the manual. But, be aware that the recommended pan capacity is significantly smaller than the advertised capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Induction Cooker, February 26, 2012
I bought this unit to act as a fifth burner for my gas cooktop. The Creda gas top has 12000 btu burners which take about 25 mins to boil a pot of pasta water. This induction range get water to a rolling boil in less than 10 mins. It will also MAINTAIN THE ROLLING BOIL after dropping a package of frozen ravioli in it. The gas top would take another 10 mins to get back to a boil.

One application of this unit is in tempering chocolate. I set the temperature at 110 deg F and the chocolate melted at exactly that temperature. It also maintained the chocolate at that temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars positive review based on experience, August 4, 2013
daniel l miller md (the woodlands, tx United States) - See all my reviews
I disagree w Mr. Burk and agree entirely with the positive reviews for this unit. I have had mine a year. I love it. It has capabilities not advertised I think in any other unit up to its price point and likely above. Its packaging in stainless design is handsome. And the knob is functional. Power control is smooth and flawless accurate over the full range of power control.
More temp and power steps than any in its price range I've seen. Quiet constant frequency control. So the quiet is smooth, not a whining whistle varying in pitch as as with some other cheap units. Hard to even tell when it pulses on and off to control the heat. Great product support team. The Vollrath Pro has features not found on home units. Wide temp available. Melt chocolate. I make yoghurt with its long cook time capabilities which I incubate for 8 hours. Features and flexibility are for knowledgeable chefs in professional kitchens. But it can be used easily at home on a regular 120 volt plug. This cooker is for serious chefs or cooks who know minimum safe temp cooking recommendations (bring food to 150 or above for at least a few minutes) or sous vide equivalent longer time lower temp recommendations. And who know not to cook at Full power longer than 3 hours on minimum standard old home wiring, 80 per cent power is ok for longer cooking times apparently per US specs for safety of the wiring. This appliance is a joy to use. fun and simple. Easy to clean. A misplaced pan won't burn knobs or buttons like on some inexpensive flat units where the controls are on the same flat surface as the cooktop. The knob temp numbers are relative not absolutes above a certain temp so its easy to spin between low and high settings in temp mode. Lots of usable temp settings between low and high. There is even a undocumented wok mode when on high temp settings it heats up to full commercial wok temps for a minute or so before dropping back. Chinese chefs would add oil and stir fry immediatiely. Temps can hit Chinese restaurant gas fired wok temps. The temp settles down quickly if you need a controlled temp. Power settings are smooth and very efficient. This boils large pots of water, Cooks large skillets of food. The centigrade scale is handy for following European recipes. 5 stars. One reviewer suggested paper under the pan. For safety, I don't recommend it. This is a powerful efficient unit and can be set to char parmchment paper under a pan. Voice of experience. Paper is not needed underneath. Reasonable gentleness. The top is real ceramic, not regular glass like on some imported units. A real plus is this unit remembers prior settings. So if you take a pan off to shake or stir, or whatever and put it back on you don't have to go through steps of recycling the unit and resetting temps like on almost all other units. This alone is worth the price if you use the appliance a lot. I use mine for everything. At home. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for serious cooks. (detailed discussion), December 11, 2013
We bought the Vollrath Mirage Pro two years ago when model first came out (before it was available on Amazon). We took the plunge without any reviews, only the word of a restaurant supply company. Glad to see it is available here and has reviews.

If you just want to try induction, the cheap (under $100) burners do very well. I've used Chinese made models (Max Burton, Sunpentown) that sell for $60 that were just fine. A good mid-range is the Winco with dial control for about $150 (available from restaurant supply houses). Any induction burner will give you the super-fast response and some degree of temp control.

If you are ready to spend serious money, here are four key features of the Vollrath that, to me, make it worth the money.

1) Fan is very quiet, almost silent, compared with most burners which are usually quite loud. (to me that justifies the price right there)
2) Temperature control is probably the best of any model available. (though there are some caveats people should be aware of which I'll discuss briefly).
3) Build quality is outstanding. This burner is meant to get pounded in commercial food service use, so it should last a very long time in home use. Vollrath is also a very reputable American manufacturer and they support what they make.
4) Maybe because it's an industrial model, there is no time limit on this one. Most induction burners will automatically shut off at 2 or 3 hours which is not helpful if you're at work. The Vollrath will not shut off except if it overheats, so you can use it like a crock pot (and it's SO much better than a crock pot, which tends to cook at too high a temperature).

Now a brief discussion of temp control and I can address one of the negative reviews.

Vollrath allows you to set temperature (Fahrenheit or Celsius) in 10 degree increments down to 80 degrees F, which is a much wider range than most makes. This is extremely valuable when you want to slow-cook at less than boiling temperature. I use 180 and 190 a lot. You can also do a pretty good sous Vide by putting a covered pot on the induction filled with water and setting the temp to 140 to 170 or wherever you need it. The 80 degrees might be useful for thawing when you don't want the food to cook (though be aware of food safety issues!)

Now here is the caveat. The burner's sensors are measuring temperature of the ceramic glass surface where it touches the pot. Obviously the sensors have no idea what the temperature is of the food itself.

So depending on what pot you're using, and what food you're cooking, and how full the pot is, the temp you select will vary from the temp inside the pot. When it errs, it errs too high -- 190 will produce a simmering boil in our heavy 4 quart stainless stock pot.

The sensors are consistent though (again, that's what you're paying for with this model), so all you have to do is measure the temp manually and calibrate.

I use my instant read and remote sensor thermometers to monitor food temp and then basically map the temp setting on the Vollrath to the temp that I'm trying to reach. For example, if I'm aiming for 180 inside the pot, I put a remote (BBQ) thermometer sensor inside, and just keep adjusting the Vollrath temp up and down until I have a stable 180 inside.

This may sound complicated but it's really no different from trying to calibrate on an electric or gas stove.

Re the negative reviewer, he/she was clearly using the burner for some high temperature operations -- maybe trying to pan fry steaks on cast iron or something. Super high temps on any cooking surface can risk warping a pan. If you put a 14 inch pan on an induction with 10 inch diameter burner, warping is a risk because only part of the pan is being heated, and induction heats so fast there is no time for the heat to disperse to the non-heated part of the pan. (Generally if you want to sear on cast iron, the recommendation is to use the oven. Heat the cast iron pan to 500 degrees (or whatever is the highest temp your oven can do) and then put the steak on, then put the pan under the broiler).

You can do searing on an induction but it's not ideal because the overheat sensor will eventually kick in and the burner will shut off. You can get a decent searing temp for maybe 5 minutes but not long enough for a lot of purposes. Better to do your searing on your stove or your BBQ grill. Induction is great for frying though -- around 325-375 degrees.

Anyway, to sum up, induction with good temperature control makes it possible to cook soups and stews at lower temperatures allowing flavors to develop and preventing overcooking. It works great for all-day recipes where you don't want to keep your oven on all day -- like cassoulet.

I am not a big gadget cook. We have a fairly minimalist kitchen. But I would not give up my induction burner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-built and fine control of power output, April 15, 2013
Eric Forbes (San Rafael, CA) - See all my reviews
I tried one other induction cooktop before this one (All-Clad) last holiday season and returned it after it became defective. I figured I needed to spend more money and get something more reliable, commercial quality perhaps. This model has exceeded my expectations. The temperature sensing feature is handy, but what I'm most impressed with is the 100-step power output control. There are push button switches that control Power (On/Off), Temperature/Power mode, and Timer which work well. But there's a larger metal knob that is used to control the power output in 1 % steps from 1% to 100% and it's very powerful at the upper ranges while being very easy to dial down into a slow cooker / sweating mode. I've used a the Ozeri green pans with ceramic non-stick coating and they work really well with this cooktop - both the 10" skillet and 12" wok heat up quickly and evenly. I see no need to spend more money on more expensive pans with this cooktop. There is simply no need. The solid brushed stainless steel body and flush sealed glass top are easy to clean. The fan runs during higher power settings, but I don't find it annoying since there is usually more interesting sounds coming from the pan and what's cooking! I've noticed it only comes on when needed, and almost never at lower power settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., April 18, 2013
I purchased this product after thoroughly researching the Internet and considering numerous seemingly similar products. The reasons I chose this brand and model of countertop induction range was the numerous online positive reviews, the temperature adjustment range (100 settings in 10 degree Fahrenheit increments) and the professional build quality. This unit truly lives up to its manufacturer specs and user praise. I've only had this product for a few days, but, being retired, I've had the time to test the unit for several hours. This unit is expensive, but considering its quality and versatility, in my opinion it is worth every penny. Most user complaints about similar products (110-120 volt) pertain to limited temperature control, poor build quality (plastic parts), high noise level, overheating, and uneven heat distribution due to a small diameter induction coil. I could find none of the aforementioned negative issues with the Mirage Pro.

First of all, this device is as quiet as a church mouse when in use. It produces only a slight sound of a cooling fan at all cooking temperatures. In testing the unit, I chose only cookware rated for induction cooking. I used two different analog cooking thermometers to test for temperature accuracy and a three quart induction certified sauce pan, plus an eleven inch induction certified fry pan with two quarts of tap water for each utensil. The Mirage Pro proved to be remarkably true to its digital Fahrenheit scale. This was very important to me as my primary use for this piece of equipment will be for making soap. Precise temperature control is critical to the soap making process that I employ. One real plus was that it was very easy to maintain a simmer using the 11 inch frying pan with 1/2 inch of water. And the temperature of the water remained suitably constant outside the sweet spot of the induction cooking element.

This appliance is designed for continuous use in a professional kitchen and the build quality is consistent for this type of use. The base is solid brushed stainless steel and the cooking surface is ceramic and is level with the steel surround and framed with high temp silicon.

I have not used this unit to sear meat or cook stir-fry yet, but I maintained a constant boil (water) in my sauce pan for over an hour without any problems. I will update this review after I have had more experience cooking with the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased. Cooking delight. Superior to electric and better than gas., November 13, 2013
I had an electric stove which was OK until I started to get into real cooking and bought myself top-of-the-line All-clad cookware set. The problem with electrical grill is that the temperature control is imprecise and it takes a long time (10 seconds or more) to reduce/increase the temperature. When you are trying to cook your best food, with perfectly caramalized surfaces, then electric grill can be a liablity.

What I needed, in my mind, was a gas range, which was not available at my home. So I decided to get this top-of-the-line induction range. I am happy to say this range even exceeds the performance of a gas range.

Compared to the gas range, this induction range is better at temperature control and changes. It only takes about 2 seconds to see the effect of a temperature changes. The temperature control is so precise and granular, there are 1-100 temperature settings. If you want your soup to simmer (not boil) ever so slightly to vaporize just a little bit, then there is a precise temperature setting which this range can provide. The overall heating power of this range is slightly better than a typical gas range, but not superior.

If you want a precision cooktop, then I cannot think of a better device.

Pros:
1)Precision cooking range which offers temperature setting ranging from 1 to 100. This is the main difference between this induction range and others and the reason why this induction range is one of the most expensive.
2)Very quick in changing the temperature (2 seconds). Similar to gas stove in this regard.
3)Sufficient power for every reasonable cooking needs.
4)Cooks food faster and better. Your cooking skills will improve tremendously because you will be able to cook your food at a precise temperature you want. You will rarely overcook/undercook your food because this range responds very quickly to temperature changes.
5)Induction leaves no heat residue at the bottom of the pots and pans.

Cons:
1)Not compatible with aluminum or copper pans. You will need a pan that can conduct magnets. I have an All-Clad Copper Core and I have found this induction oven to be a perfect match for my All-clad.
2)Heating power, although sufficient, is not superior to a gas range.
3)Fit and finish is not exactly top notch (it isn't bad either). The bottom panel does not fit precisely with the upper panel. The curvature of the steel shows some imprecise grooves. I am being picky here, but still this is no iPhone in its fit and finish.
4)Little more than twice as expensive as many 1800 watt induction ranges, but you do get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars mirage pro 59500P induction cooker review, May 7, 2013
daniel l miller md (the woodlands, tx United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great product and makes a great present for yourself. Best unit I have seen for advanced home cooking. The company has wonderful support. This really is a step above anything else on the web in its class. Far superior to the inexpensive chinese units in control versatility. Worth the little extra. Well worth it. Review follows:

Simple to use in power mode. Hot. Easy to control. 100 power steps via the spin knob easy fine or coarse adjustment. Works like a gas burner in the power mode. Very responsive.

Engineering type review. Used 6 months. Temps measured on several units, mine and other's. This company has great customer service. I have appreciated their patience. This is a really nice cooker. Ihave used mine for about 6 months, and have experience with other brand units. The power settings are flawless. 100 steps! And spin knob control. Heats a frypan with a couple cups of water to subcool boiling in about 30= 40 seconds using a 8" Vollrath inductuction frypan. The bubble pan bottom pattern shows a relatively large coil, about 6 inches. Very efficient units. They do get hot. Wok style cooking where the pan is heated hot and oil is poured around the pan, then food is dumped in to cool the pan below smoke temp works great with these. Preferred way to fry. They get hot. Fast. All induction units with a pan sensor under the ceramic/glass top have temp overshoot. The pan gets hotter than the sensor for awhile because it takes time for heat to conduct from the pan, heat up the glass which takes time and then heat the sensor. It takes 2 to 3 minutes overall. Meanwhile the pan bottom energized by the coil is heating away. Once the overshoot is over and the sensor is heated to the pan bottom teperature it holds accurately, But during the overshoot forst 3 minute time it is easy to smoke oil when frying unless using the wok technique. You can heat up the glass to boiling and heat the pan, but this doesn't elimintate temp overshoot smoking corn oil Hold it for a couple minutes to let the glass heat. Works well below boiling point to minimize overshoot. At fry temps you get enough overshoot to seariously (pun intended) heat the pan and smoke oil if you try to heat the oil first slowly to temp then fry food. The wok method works better with these. Or keep a dry pan, no oil and heat it first for to frying temp for 3 min to heat the glass. The initial temp peak overshoot for about 1-3 minutes then pan cools to steady state temp setting at pan content rate. At fry temps the overshoot hits about 540 degrees F. Do not put paper towel under the pan or parchment paper to "protect" the ceramic as some have suggested on other sites. It chars. Parchment paper is only rated to 400-425 degrees. Even on power settings char can can accidently happen. Be safe. No paper or combustible under the pan. None needed. And paper under the pan renders the temp control mode useless since it doesn't conduct heat to the glass and sensor well. The temp control works well if you view the temp scale not as an absolute accurate temperature setting but as a relative temperature number. Viewed this way there are 20 temperature settings between 80 degrees and frying temperature 340-360. THIS IS TWICE AS MANY AS MOST COMPETING UNITS in this commercial class price range. There are additional settings above this temperature, maybe 10-14. The steady state temp hold temperature is above the dial setting with little difference at low temps and increasing temp offset at higher temps. I suggest measuring the steady state temps for one of your favorite pans produced by the relative dial settings and you will be in ballpark for your other ferritic pans. Just realize frying temperatures 340-360F pan temperature for deep fat pan frying is reached with 240=260 dial units. Measure your unit once with your favorite fry pan and remember the post overshoot fry temp range. Maybe better to heat the pan using a known power setting that bring your pan and oil to close to frying temp, then if you want switch to temp control. You can set the temp too high or too low in power mode, but you don't get the temperature overshoot in power mode. I noticed new units in the department store in Bangkok were power mode only. But I find this limiting, once I understood about the temp overshoot and how to minimize its effects. This Vollrath induction cooker is very convenient. Handsome. Lots of heat fast. Has a good feel. And it is responsive in steady state temperature mode or power mode. It has nosed its way into my preferred item to cook. The temp steps are wide for serious sous vide being 10-15 degrees from 80F through boiling range. Holds a heavy pan or induction pan bottom at constant temp well with temp variation less than I can measure. I bought two different Vollrath pans one for general sauce pan and soup and one for frying and like them a lot too. It also heats my cast iron skillets equally fast. I like this so much, I am looking for another used one, just to have another which is a good recommendation. When you get tired of the inexpensive Chinese units with wide steps for power and maybe no temp mode or limited temp steps as I did and want something better, I recommend GET ONE OF THESE!
Vollrath Mirage Pro 59500P Countertop Induction Cooker 1800 Watt - 120V

Both I and a friend who is an expert cook who enjoys his Vollrath Mirage PRO and I have measured these units with temp probe and IR guns. They are great. The temp setting numbers are relative, not absolute degrees F (depends on the pan alloy composition/ferritic strength). Lots of steps between ranges. About 21 temp steps just between 80F and frying. 6 inch effective coil diameter boiling bubble pattern in pot bottom. Would I buy it again. Definitely. If I had room I'd get another. Great customer service. Good company, Good Vollrath induction pans too. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cooktop I use, June 7, 2012
I bought this several months ago because my electric stove was not responsive enough to suit me. I have set the Vollrath on top of the stove and now use nothing but the Vollrath for stove-top cooking. It is accurate and responsive. The biggest "problem" or learning curve was translating the usual high, medium, and low settings on a regular stove into the actual temperatures on the Vollrath. I was going to buy a full-size induction range, but that cooktop seemed too susceptible to damage. The Vollrath 59500 has stood up to everyday use without a problem.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›