Customer Discussions > V for Vendetta forum

V is for Vomit: The Vile and Vicious Vitriol of Anti-Terror War Villians

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2006 2:51:07 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2006 2:32:07 AM PDT
Bryan Tyler says:
(LOL-ing so much it hurts)*tear*(LOL-ing more)

This movie is based (incredibly well I might add) on a graphic novel written a quarter century ago. Any parallels between Bush Administration, Michael Moore, or whatever else you may conjure up is only in your mind.

It should scare you that you see the dangerous parallels of what Alan Moore wrote so long ago....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2006 1:42:56 PM PDT
54 million production budget. 131 million at the box office. Tens of millions more coming in from DVD sales and rentals. Died? Only in your dreams. I bet you wish you could come up with a project that triples the original investment.

Sorry a few of your Sacred Oxen got gored by this film. But if you are only looking at forms of entertainment to tell you what you want to hear and cater to your preconceived notions about politics and religion, I'm afraid that you'll have a very difficult time finding things to enjoy. Fortunately, there are plenty of DVDs of back seasons of Seventh Heaven and Touched by an Angel to keep you busy until the next celluloid outrage commands your attention.

Enjoy slamming Da Vinci Code for not catering to your prejudices.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2006 7:32:09 AM PDT
as stated before.You don't know what you are talking about.V for Vendetta was written back in the mid 80's, 20 years ago so it has nothing to do with todays political administration

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2006 4:24:53 PM PDT
Td, Chance says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2006 10:32:59 AM PDT
Traveler says:
Would you call the French Resistance during WWII a group of terrorists? Technically, if you're going to define them purely by their actions and ignore their ideology, they would be. That's about as deep as your analysis goes. The government depicted in V can be a metaphor for where we _might_ be headed, but it can in no way stand for where we are now. The reasons are obvious - the events depicted are not happening now. This makes any direct comparison questionable at best. Furthermore, it should go without saying that any good American, liberal or conservative, would oppose such a government. We did, after all, defeat the Britsh using guerilla war tactics - which were seen as dishonorable at the time.

The question comes down to whether or not "terrorism" can be used for justified purposes. If the answer is no then it means that such actions against, for example, Hitler would be immoral. Ultimately, V only kills agents of the government. Not once, that I can recall, does he kill an innocent bystander - unlike the government depicted. All this makes viewers such as yourself pro-authoritarian to an obscene extreme.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2006 10:35:00 AM PDT
Kathy says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2006 2:27:37 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2006 9:58:46 AM PDT
Ever hear about a Vile act of terrorism called the Boston Tea Party? Or that dastardly band of anti government terrorists: Thomas Jefferson,George Washington and Ben Franklin?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2006 11:36:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2006 11:38:33 AM PDT
welsais says:
I'm glad that A. Daniels Jr. knows for sure that the Patriot Act is saving lives! And yeah--Vendetta basically wants to turn us all queer! When it was trying to show me a fascist government scenario, in which the gov't destroys what it decides isn't "normal," I thought I was never going to be straight again.

This is not a pro-terrorism film. I think you also missed the point that certain acts have different meaning in a different CONTEXT.

It's amazing to know people like you exist. Smaller minded than a rodent and so fervent in your beliefs that you can't question anything...how are you so completely sure that you know what the goverment is doing is right? Isn't it better in any case to be a little skeptical?

As V says: People should not be afraid of their governemnt; the government should be afraid of its people.

I think our forefathers would wholeheartedly agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:31:17 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:
I haven't read the graphic novel myself, but most of the fan complaints were that it strayed from the source material.

Maybe the parallels aren't so scary after all...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:33:57 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:35:19 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:38:44 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:40:03 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 1:42:58 PM PDT
Ben Bruce says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2006 3:55:00 AM PDT
Traveler says:
I get one more try 'eh?

I can't help it if you don't know history. The American colonists DID use guerilla war tactics. But if you could read you'd have noted that I focused on the French Resistance. Doesn't matter. Both groups used these tactics. By WWII if you were blowing up any German building - with civilians inside or not - you were "fighting the good fight." It was that way whether it was the French on the ground or the allied planes dropping bombs on Dresden.

I'm sorry that you don't know your history.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2006 4:49:14 PM PDT
most slippery slopes do have not basis or a likely chance of happening, but the slippery slop in this movie is very very possible of happening. if bush had it his way, every unquestioning, blindly loyal,conservative christian would b partying it up like there was no tomorrow, and anyone that was in dissent would be basically in a prison, just as everyone in this movie was. and you said that "some say the patriot act was designed to take away freedoms..but it also saves lives". imprisonment would also save lives. having no privacy at all would also save lives, but what is the point in living when you can't live with those freedoms, and natural human rights, such loving whomever we want and living without every conversation and transaction being filmed, videotaped, and documented by people who would not be okay if the same was done to them.
and in this movie, there were parallels between their government, and ours, but theres really weren't any between the "freedom fights/V" in this movie, and terrorists/suicide bombers of today". yes, they both think they're doing something good for their country/creed/religion/earth, but we both know that V in this movies is a true protagonist, and not brainwashed by any religion or leader.
and you try and seem ok with anyone doing their means of questioning the government, but you demean the people who have. even if Michael moore's documentary did have some lies, it made you question how corrupt our government was and got the ball rolling. because, if you haven't noticed, our government is corrupt with bush holding the pitchfork.
also, you said that this movie made same-sex marriage look "angelic and beautiful". when you popped this tape in, did you really think you were about to see just your views and opinons in this movie. never once in the preview for this movie did i get any insinuation that this was a christian movie. thats like a Jew going to see 'The Passion' and saying "i didn't like how they portrayed jesus as coming back to life."
your review of this movie shouldn't even be comsidered because its so biased and blind about how good this movie really is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2006 5:37:25 PM PDT
M Johnson says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2006 7:05:42 PM PDT
4g0ttn1 says:
Ok, even though it was based on a comic book written however many years ago, the movie was only BASED on it, it was not a literal, word for word translation of it to film. Now, I have not read the comic book, but I'd be willing to bet that the phrase describing the president in the movie as a "strongly religious right wing president" didn't show up at all, and if it did, don't even try to convince me that the filmmakers didn't look at it and think "hey, we can use this to tie in all of those 9/11 conspiracy theories to make people see the movie!" People like hearing about conspiracy theories, so when a movie comes out that reaffirms one (a fictional movie, mind you) that's been floating around for a while, they pay money to see it. I don't think that the film makers or Alan Moore were trying to start a conspiracy or actually believed in one, but for the film makers at least it was just another tool to make money. Saying things like it should scare us that there are parallels between reality and what Alan Moore wrote only reaffirms this; reality doesn't pattern itself after fiction, people just go out of their way to find ways that it does.

Something else to think about...as far as I was able to tell, the only true opressions in the V for Vendetta world was a curfew, censorship, and the fact that it was illegal to be in a homosexual relationship (which, I must agree, are not so beautiful and ethereal solely because they are homosexual, they can be just as dysfunctional as the heterosexual ones)...are these really things worth fighting a war and dying for?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2006 10:56:07 PM PDT
stfu says:
"Something else to think about...as far as I was able to tell, the only true opressions in the V for Vendetta world was a curfew, censorship, and the fact that it was illegal to be in a homosexual relationship (which, I must agree, are not so beautiful and ethereal solely because they are homosexual, they can be just as dysfunctional as the heterosexual ones)...are these really things worth fighting a war and dying for?"

I'm embarrased that I probably share in a democratic society with ignorance like yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2006 5:40:33 AM PDT
CDG says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2006 5:42:49 AM PDT
CDG says:
I agree wholeheartedly. I have not read the original graphic novel, but this movie pushes a leftist, pro-terrorist point of view. Very disturbing. Oh, and I don't know all that much about Thatcher, but her peer, Ronald Reagan, did more for the United States than any other president during my lifetime (perhaps Combined!).
This film borders on propaganda.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2006 4:32:09 PM PST
T. Young says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2006 11:03:17 AM PST
Jason says:
"Something else to think about...as far as I was able to tell, the only true opressions in the V for Vendetta world was a curfew, censorship, and the fact that it was illegal to be in a homosexual relationship (which, I must agree, are not so beautiful and ethereal solely because they are homosexual, they can be just as dysfunctional as the heterosexual ones)...are these really things worth fighting a war and dying for?"

Being able to go where you please, when you please...being able to express yourself...being able to love you choose... doing these things without fear of being jailed. Yes, actually I think that is worth fighting for and possibly going to war for.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  V for Vendetta forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2006
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions