Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

78%
22%
Voodoo
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$16.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 27, 2010
One of the best Albums I have ever heard.
Voodoo is packed with emotions and the Lyrics go skin deep!

Alexz voice is raw, powerful and filled with so much passion.
Each song is so unique and different they can not be compared with one another (try comparing a documentary and a Comedy).

Each song tells its own story and gives away its own vibe!
Alexz and Brendans intentions were to create an Album that has a Cinematic or Movie soundtrack feel to it. It was an experimental approach that turned out even better than I had expected it to be (waiting for so long, my expectations were pretty high).

Imagine a movie marathon with a mixture of different genres (romance, thriller drama...you name "Voodoo" got it)

I guarantee you; you will not be able to listen to that Album without being touched in one way or another or getting Goosebumps.

It's like a bag of Chips you can't put down after the first bite, with "Voodoo" you won't be able to stop after the first listen, it is addicting and refreshing you just can't get enough of it.

Please be advised: Do not judge the Album by only listening to the clips, they do no justice to an entire song. In order to see how great the songs are and get the true feeling of the Album you have to listen to the tracks in its entirety @ [...].
on April 30, 2010
If you're anything like me, you have probably been waiting for this disc for four to five years. Alexz Johnson starred in the hit TV series Instant Star where she played a young singer-songwriter dealing with the ins and outs of fame. Alexz actually had written a few songs for her character. After being dropped from two record labels, I began to wonder if this disc would ever see the light of day. No, these aren't the ten songs she wrote and recorded under Epic's watch. I only wish. Those were phenomenal.
1. Voodoo 4/5: it's actually a pretty haunting nicely written pop song. about a girl who loves someone, seemingly without choice.
2. Gonna Get it 1/5: its another pop song that would be better with a few more verses.
3. Look At Those Eyes 5/5: Definitely one of my favorite songs from the album, comparing the pain in their eyes to a tornado.
4. L.A. Made Me 4/5: this is a song she wrote during her Epic days, but luckily hadn't yet recorded it. Love it
5. A Little Bit 2/5: This is very akin to Gonna Get It, but has a much better beat.
6. Mr Jones 4/5: A very RnB feel to this pop song, fun to sing
7. Superstition 5/5: Another favorite song on the album. Very beautiful medley about the pain love can be and how hard it can be to survive it.
8. Trip Around the World 4/5: The lead single from the album, has an amazing accompanying video. A very fun song that nearly everyone can relate to
9. Hurricane Girl 4/5: Another one written during Epic days. Its just a beautiful fun song.
10. Taker 5/5: Another fave. nice telling of love.
11. Boogie Love 3/5: I think the title is very self explanatory.

All in all, a fun album. I would say I'm glad she released it, maybe not worth the wait- the Epic album would have been. Wings of A Dove, Chicago, Running With The Devil, Swallowed, Easy, Shout. Some amazing songs (most of which are or were at one time streaming on her website [...])
on June 16, 2010
Anyone who has been following this girls career for a while has been waiting for this album to come out for years now. When the disappointment with Epic Records happened, I wondered how Alexz would be able to deliver an album up to the mark of the Epic songs - Swallowed, Easy, Running With The Devil, Spin, Golden etc. Those songs were amazing, and since they'd already been heard by the world, even though they were unreleased, Alexz and her brother Brendan had their work cut out for them - how were they going to produce an album that would satisfy the fans?

Well, they did it. Every song on this album is amazing in it's own way. Some are better than others, as with most albums, but all the songs have their own charm and get caught in your head. Perhaps the biggest strength of this album is the lyrics. We already saw Alexz's lyrical gift with the unreleased Epic songs, but this album really showcases her talent and gives us a taste of what she is all about.

I recommend this album to every music lover out there. It does not disappoint.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Loved her on Instant Star and love her own mark on this record. Except for Boogie Love ,( the song is good but the title is ..Ugh) the songs are really great and I feel showcase her unique voice very well. I hope to hear more from her very soon. Very relaxing music. She has a very special soothing voice and I hope other people appreciate her unique style on this album. Oh I just dated myself by saying album. Oops! She has one of those voices where she could sing the phone book and make it sound beautiful!
on May 14, 2010
The first time I heard about Alexz Johnson was through the "Instant Star" series that showed on The N. I loved the show and the albums that accompanied it. I was very curious to hear what Alexz's album would sound like when it didn't revolve around the show. The wait was well worth it, this is one of the best albums I have ever heard and it's better than the albums that were released with the show. It's a shame that she is not more mainstream because she definitely deserves more recognition. There are not too many albums out at the moment where you can listen to the entire album, but this is definitely one of those albums. I'm not usually an indie pop genre person, but this is definitely one of those albums that can appeal to all types.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2012
Origanally watched Alexz Johnson in the tv show "Stranger with my face" and was impressed with her acting ability. Looked up on the web information about her and started to view the musical videos that were on line & YouTube and was very impressed with her singing, as at first I didn't know anything about her. I began following her on "Alexz Johnson Island" a site that follows her and downloaded her new song called "Skipping Stone" free. She is to release her EP with the same name on 01-24-12 and I hope Amazon mp3 store will have it to purchase. I purchased the Amazon mp3 "VooDoo" album and I listen to a song from the album very day. I love to watch the matching videos on line to the songs especially "Trip around the world" and "Boogie Love". Have the album downloaded on my kindle Fire, desktop & notebook.
on August 16, 2010
I have been a alexz johnson fan since she was in so weird!! I loved her voice back then and love it now!! SHe really has turned into an amazing artist!! I recommend this album to anyone who also likes people like bethany joy lenz from one tree hill. I have this on my ipod and is played every week at least!!!
on January 6, 2013
Alexz Johnson has a knack for making some interesting music. It's hard to describe her sound because it covers so many genres. Even though this album was released 3 years ago, I really think it could do some radio play today if they chose the right songs to market! My chief complaint about the album (and why it got 4 stars instead of 5) is that the majority of the songs are too long! A good song is long enough to tell a story, but short enough to make the listener want to put it on repeat. As good as these songs are, there are only a few I would like to put on repeat.

1. Voodoo 4/5: Great opening to the album! Alexz awesome voice really shines in this one and sets the tone for the rest of the album. I knocked off a point because, honestly, the song is too long! I don't want it on repeat because I feel like I've listened to it twice by the end! Knock off a few extra chorus's and this song's a winner!

2. Gonna Get it 4/5: Great, catchy song! The beginning will really wake you up if you're not expecting the shriek! The chorus can be a bit monotonous, with the repeated "Gonna Get It" in the same tone. "Let's Break It Down" is my favorite part!

3. Look At Those Eyes 4/5: Killer song! Suffers from the too long syndrome though. Nelly Furtado endorsed this one and it definitely should have been released as a single (as soon as it got a 3 minute radio edit!)

4. L.A. Made Me 4/5: Ah, the obligatory "F-you record company" song! She even sneaks a self-censored f-bomb in there! Very catchy and you can tell poor Alexz had gone through hell in this one. I honestly like her live version of this better (she sang it at the Orange lounge) because the song should have been cut around the 2:40 mark and she cut it about there in her live version.

5. A Little Bit 4/5: Catchy and a good beat. Her live version (Orange lounge performance) has more of a rock vibe to it which I prefer to the more electronic sounding studio version, but it's still awesome! Once again, could use a few verse cuts at the end.

6. Mr Jones 2/5: For some reason I keep skipping over this one. It's just not one of my favorites. Pretty catchy beat though.

7. Superstition 4/5: It took me a while to warm up to this one, but it's a great song! Haunting melody and vocals!

8. Trip Around the World 1/5: Not a fan of this one. It's beyond me as to why this one was fan-voted as a single. I can't get past the pre-verse without wanting to skip over it.

9. Hurricane Girl 3/5: This one's okay, too long though. A bit like "Look At Those Eyes," awesome vocals by Alexz and great instrumentation.

10. Taker 10/5: That's right, a 10 out of 5. WHY WASN'T THIS THE SINGLE??? Good length, great hook, just a killer song! I listen to this on repeat constantly!

11. Boogie Love 1/5: I'm being generous with the 1 point. I really don't like this one. It's a disco throwback song and one of those experimental songs that should have been a bonus track or something. This one was also a single and I really don't understand why. Even "Trip" was a better choice than this.

I honestly think this album could have done better if the songs were shorter and the right singles were chosen. Voodoo, Look At Those Eyes, A Little Bit, LA Made Me, and especially Taker could have easily been singles and done well on the radio. Unfortunately, we'll never know unless they do a re-release.
on July 21, 2010
This is very different from the music she performed in her Instant Star shows. The sounds take me back to the 80's pop (or they might, if I were alive back then...) and the lyrics are way more real.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
WOW. How the hell have i missed Alexz Johnson the last 5 years? This young woman has everything...how the heck come no one knows about her?? But that's not completely true.....because when you DO find Alexz's fans, they are dedicated, unflinching, and they preach the gospel of AJ to you with passion! And now i see why.
I've gone back now and watched all four seasons of "Instant Star," and she was wonderful in that cool program. HEY, I'm a grownup, not a tweener, and it's a GREAT show, teaching valuable lessons to any young woman who wants to be a music artist ala Taylor Swift of Jewel! And since "Instant Star", Alexz has released EPs that dazzle, and this latest full length cd "Voodoo".....easily her best effort to date. I want MORE! And then more still. So do her fans. So will you, once you listen to Alexz Johnson.
Wake up, everyone.....there's a star on the horizon! Don't miss her!
Josh David Whitmore