The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$17.12 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 9, 2012
I bought this book a while back and it was really helpful to me as I became more interested in studying voodoo and similar practices. I do indeed think that there is a lot of information in this book that can be useful like recipes, talismans, etc.

Three years later I've discovered that there is more information that could be put into this book and in some parts I feel the author skimped on it, but just a few, not too much for me dislike it. It would be nice if she made another book, a sequel perhaps that gave more extensive information on some of the things in here although this is a spellbook I think that some of the lore in here could benefit from a deep study, which is how I went about in in my three years.

So my suggestion is, take this book for what it is. A compilation of info that she has put together to teach a solitary practitioner some simple and basic techniques in a tradition she has called her own. Learn from it and learn more elsewhere because this book doesn't provide everything, but in essence it's a good reference book and can definitely help out someone who is eager for information.
on April 1, 2012
Readers out there need to be informed on how poorly this book was written, truly i was disappointed by it. Within an hour of skimming the whole book, I put it aside (in the trash-I just couldn`t bring myself to sell or donate it, not wishing to confuse potential readers with nonsense). I was rather disappointed that there's nothing traditional or authentic about Hoodoo Voodoo as she claims it to be. I can actually list the excerpt of the mistakes, errors etc that she did within the WHOLE book (!) I'll give you some examples, especially on the formulas since she included plenty of formulas and most of them are repetition from one chapter to another.

1) The formulas aren't exactly New Orleans, or how she claims her book to be. They basically came from 3 main sources : a) Published formulary books ( Slater's or Tarostar), b)Internet hoodoo formulas, c)1 or 2 of her personal formularies (which in truth weren`t even hers, they were "borrowed" from flunkies and lifted from the Hyatt books).
These formulas are extracted from these sources, then slightly modified by adding extra ingredients or 2 to show the authenticity or by using the existing formula and renaming it as a different formula (!).
An example of Slater's bogus formula which doesn't make sense at all would be the Aunt Anna Wishbone Oil that includes Sandalwood, Orris, Allspice and Musk (! )/ Now, Im wondering why on earth would the name be called "wishbone" unless the wishbone is a part of the formula, right? ? She missed that one (LOL).

For the attraction oil formula, she used the Attraction Love Oil from Tarostar's formulary..i wonder, doesn't she has a formula of her own? But of course I know the answer-she hasn`t the lineage she claims (see the link below for another truthful assessment).Sshe did NOT learn hoodoo (or Voodoo) at her daddy`s knee. And she hasn`t even lived in (or made any trips to) NOLA in a hundred years.

Anyway, she included the Bend Over Oil (on page 132) which was clearly plagiarised from Cat's free recipes web, and then included another Bend Over formula on page 142, which is a combination of Slater's formula and Cat's! Now that doesn't sound that authentic isn't it? I will not consider honeysuckle as a bend over ingredient and the same goes for Rose Geranium. She failed to explain the inclusion of every ingredients in the formula. As I was taught, every Domination formulas should have a confusion aspect so the opponent we are working on may be a little vulnerable, thus we can dominate them easily! Here's my friend Amyrul personal formula which I have used for many years with utter success!
ESSENCE OF BEND OVER
Colour: Orange
Bergamot Oil
Vertiver Oil
Calamus Oil
Patchouli Oil
Licourice RootThere are 2 essence of Van Van formula included within the whole book. Here are the excerpts of both formulas:
Essence of Van Van (page 143)
Essence of Van Van is one the most popular conjure potions in New Orleans.It is used for success, goodluck and power spells.
Essential Oil of lemongrass
Alcohol ( Everclear or perfumer's alcohol)
Simply add 10 percent of oil of lemongrass to alcohol. Use to bless your home by scrubbing your front steps and foyer. Of (a typo error of If?) you need a real good cleaning, wash all of your floors with it and wipe down your furniture and walls.
Essence of Van Van ( page 174)
Used for luck and power of all kinds. This is considered by many to be the most popular conjure drug in Louisiana.
10 percent oil of lemongrass
Grain alcohol
Start by scrubbing the front doorstep and go from the front to the back to draw in business.Throw the remaining water to the east at or before sunrise.
Coincidence that she might accidentally included both of the same formula in different chapters? I think not!!! These are merely "copy-paste" from a document to another.I noticed that this was first published by Houston's Mule book and Spells, Charms and Formulas by Malbrough.

There are a lot more to be written here about this half-assed book, but I`ll re-post at another time the mistakes & rubbish that this book is chock fully of Heck I can actually criticise the work from one page to another! To summarise, there's nothing authentic or revised about this book, basically it's a thicker expanded book of informations gathered from Henri Gamache , Herman Slater, Tarostar, Lewis de Claremont, Godfrey Selig, Catherine Yronwode and a few other authors out there, as well as from online information. Often the spells are Wiccanised by the addition of 4 elements and the "So mote it be phrase".

There are a lot more to be written here, but I will continue writing to you the mistakes from time to time! Heck I can actually criticised the work from one page to another! To summarise, there's nothing authentic or revised about this book, basically it's a thicker expanded book of informations gathered from Henri Gamache , Herman Slater, Tarostar, Lewis de Claremont, Godfrey Selig, Catherine Yronwode and a few other authors out there, as well as the online information! Some of the spells are oftenly wiccanised, by the addition of 4 elements and the "So mote it be".

And just in case you would like another review (that basically reiterates mine) here`s a good link: [...]

Note than any positive reviews you might see are either written by friends exhorted to the task or written by bloggers bought off for a bottle or two of her crappy oils (& a copy of the book-whoop de doo!).

Stay away from her businesses, too (Planet Voodoo, Mystic Voodoo & Etsy Crossroads Mamas. She takes your money & never supplies product on time (if at all). And she got pissy with me when I "dared" to request a refund. After grudgingly (& FINALLY) giving that refund she promised me a bottle of oil gratis, "to make up for the trouble". That was 6 mo.`s ago & never received. I just talked today to a friend whom she`s offered a free book-3 mo.`s & it still hasn`t been delivered. Crossroads University? Nothing you can`t teach yourself(& don`t be fooled by the low rates for classes, Once you`re on her hook it suddenly becomes a 2 year/2-3K proposition. AND she`s as late on her classes as she is with everything else) Not that anybody with any wit would sign uo for these classes, Denise is well-known on the net to be a fraud, plagiarist & bad businesswoman. Contact PayPal to ask about her reliability, they`ve made many, many judgments against her.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2012
Awesome and informative accounts with personal accounts and good perspective! Highly recommended reading to help bring understanding and a bit of history as well:)
on November 30, 2013
I understand that this book is an expansion of her self-published book titled "The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook." I also understand all her original material in that book remains in this book. For that reason, I cannot recommend this book -- and following is a letter that I wrote to the author herself. I am awaiting a reply:

Dear Denise:

Recently I obtained a copy of your book The Hoodoo Voodoo Spell Book. Something about the book bothered me and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it gnawed at me horribly.

Today, I was reading one of my favorite spell books written by the by poet Valerie Worth. This book was published by Llewellyn Publications in 1988. I realized that the spell you have on page 131 of your book titled "Charm to Bind an Enemy" is almost a word-for-word lifting from Valerie Worth's book. Please compare your text with hers on page 71 of her book. You changed the opening prose to "your" spell slightly, but then reproduced her spell verbatim from her book with only very slight changes to the last paragraph of her original work. Your book was published in 2009.

When it comes to magickal literature I am very well read and remember almost everything I have read to some degree. Without going into a long email (it would take hours) I find these same similarities between your work and the work of other magicakal authors. I'm assuming your using of material not yours was not intentional?

I would love to hear back from you on this when you have time, especially since I have personal relationships with some of the authors (and even the staff at Llewellyn Publications) from whom material has been lifted with no credit given. And for the record, yes, Valerie Worth's material was unique and original -- she wrote all her material and spells herself.

Best:
Ócháni.
on August 24, 2012
There are a lot of folks running around these days calling themselves experts on Voodoo or Hoodoo, but Ms. Alvarado's Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook is the best I've seen in a long time! Very well done, and very readable - its like visiting a Voodoo practitioners home and being taught the secrets. I loved every word. Thank you Ms. Alvarado!
on May 22, 2013
The authors of "Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook" have definitely "swept the house clean" with this book. The history alone that is so thoroughly yet simply explained makes this book a must have even if you are not interested in Voodoo or Hoodoo as a practice. For the novice, I would highly recommend this as the first book you read. The authors just give the facts to you straight! No word is waisted. A great place to start your journey. A great reference to go back to over and over again for the novice, "seasoned", indigenous religion buff, or the just plain curious. Never judge a book by its cover! This book is a must have.
on October 23, 2011
I have the original Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook but heard this one had additional info. And it does! More info on the origins of voodoo, spells, baths, oils, etc. If you need to add a book on voodoo to your collection, I highly recommend this one! You will not need any other book on voodoo!

The intro by Doc Snake is incredable. The additional spells and more info on herbs, oils and baths is fantastic. There are also quick reference charts on the Saints and also info on Saints. This is something I've always looked for and love this condensed version.

And if you want more from Denise, get her magazine and other books. She is very knowledgeable on voodoo and is a practioner herself so she knows what she is talking about!

I am now a big fan of Denise's and plan on also purchasing the Kindle version of the Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook so its with me all the time.
on May 10, 2013
It was good I was looking for some different spells and didn't find them, But that happens it was interesting and I did find some spells tjat I wanted.
on February 12, 2014
After 30 years of reading, researching, and practicing varied forms of magic, with a concentration on Hoodoo for more than 10 years, it becomes difficult to find books that add value to my collection. *This* volume has already proven itself to be highly useful, well written, well researched, and woven with specific information I've never run across. It is now on my "First Source" bookshelf, along with such classics as Sallie Ann Glassman's Vodou Visions: An Encounter With Divine Mystery and Maya Deren's
Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti. Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook is *Highly Recommended* for those beginning their journey into hoodoo, as well as those well versed in the Yoruban based religions.
on May 17, 2013
The book is total garbage, complete trash. For one, there is no separate tradition of "Voodoo-Hoodoo". It's only hoodoo, a.k.a. root work or conjure work. The author claims that this is the tradition she was taught since a child yet she has sourced so many books. How can this be? Why does she source so many books if this is the tradition she was taught personally? The book has grammar and misspelling issues. Much of the spells and recipes seem to have been stolen from online sources and "tweeked" to appear as if they were inventions of the author. There is much information that is repeated in the book. Why? Save your money and simply read the books she sources or better yet, just use Google because this is a sham.