Vornado 630 Mid-Size Whole Room Air Circulator
Price:$61.02 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 11, 2006
I'm very familiar with Vornado products and have been using one of their room humidifiers and one of their quiet room heaters for 5 years or more. Vornado is a manufacturer that designs and renders things the right way. The Vornado 630B 3 Speed Mid Size Air Circulator does the work of much larger fans but with a minimum of noise. I know this to be a fact since a short time ago my wife bought two other well known fans at a local store and brought them home. The vornado moves as much air as the other brands Large "Industrial" use fan and obviously at a much quieterlevel. I literally had to turn on the "closed captioning" on my tv when the other brand was running in the farthest back room! And obviously not enjoying much of the fan effect from so far away. The Vornado sits slightly to one side of our entertainment center and about 6 feet away from the user. You can use it on low and it's whisper quiet with a nice directed air pattern. The Vornado 630B 3 Speed Mid Size Air Circulator is adjustable of course, not only three different speeds but it can be aimed in a very wide range of direction including straight up for general room circulation. There are no knobs to tighten and you can accomplish the easy adjustment with a gentle push or pull in the direction needed. The fan is also easily cleaned of dust since the blade cover comes off the fins can be wiped down with just a damp cloth, cover replaces easily without tools and after plugging back in , you're up and running quickly.

I also found that the price was just a few dollars difference from the less versatile fan and the Vornado that is ideal. That to me more than justifies the price. We took the other fan back and have happily been using our Vornado product since.

John Row
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2008
Verified Purchase
I really liked it at first.

Talk about moving some air. Worked great for a bit, then the rattling started. First only on the highest setting, then eventually made it down to the lowest. It started out as a vibration then became an off beat clicking. Seems to come from the motor or near it. Drove my wife crazy, light sleeper.

So I exchanged it, and it worked great for a time. Then it started to vibrate, and eventually the same clicking. Frustrated, I went to a local store this time, instead of exchanging it online again and bought a different vornado model. Worked great at first, then after a few days developed the clicking sound again. It isn't the blade hitting anything, if I had my guess I would guess the powerful motor throwing something balance.

Bought that back to the store, exchange. Fourth unit now, quiet stable, I was finally happy. What a great fan.

Last night it started again, all I could do is groan. click, click..space.. click..click..click.. Ack.

Brought it back..

I won't give it less than three stars, the clicking can be lived with. It is pronounced and not timed so it stands out. Not good for a light sleeper but if you can live through offbeat sounds, your good. Other than that, seems solid.

Too bad, I read so many good things about Vornado, I was pumped to get a high quality fan and was willing to pay. They start out really quiet, so if you can get it to stay that way, you will be happy.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2007
This fan is great! I bought it for my daughter's un-airconditioned college dorm room that was sweltering in September in the Southern U.S. This fan can really move the air and it is really quiet for sleeping. The competitive brands can't touch it. Don't buy an imitation. This is the real deal and worth every penny!
Verified Purchase
I am now on my fourth Vornado brand fan in the house - I have had them for nearly 10 years, and have found them to be long-term reliable and probably the best fans I've ever owned.

Vornado makes quite a variety of fans, ranging from industrial models that you can put in a garage (which I have), down to smaller kitchen fans that are a bit louder but still put out just as much airflow as the more powerful models.

Two of my Vornado fans have run 24 hours a day for more than 3 years, with regular cleaning of the grill and air intake. So as far as brand value and quality, you can't get much better.

This specific 630B 3-speed fan is one of their mid-size models. It sits firmly on the floor with a large base, and the control knob is conveniently located on the side of base to fan arm. There are only three speed levels on this fan, vs. some of their other models that feature a steady dial giving you complete flexibility from off to high.

If I had to give this fan a "noise rating" - the low setting is completely unnoticeable after a few minutes and blends into the background - this is the setting I leave it on 24-hours a day. But if you want to move air rapidly, just move it up to medium or high and the noise level increases moderately (but I don't leave it on that setting after I have the temp where I want it).

For home use I recommend pointing this fan into areas where the a/c or furnace might not have the best coverage. You can save a lot of energy in heating/cooling your home due to the distance these fans can move air. Down a long hallway you can feel a strong blast of wind from this fan even on the lowest setting.

Highly recommended - don't be afraid of the price, because you're going to have this fan for a long time to come with minimal cleaning. Snapping the front and back grill off is easy, and you can just vacuum out the dust that will gather after prolonged use. All four of my Vornados have lasted a minimum of 4 years with almost constant use, even in very dusty (garage) conditions.

Enjoy your new fan!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2006
I do not have AC and was looking for a fan that circulated air better than the standard fan. After testing out a few models, I found that this model of the Vornado produced a noticeably cooler room. I like the slowest speed in that it is very quiet and hardly noticeable.
on June 30, 2010
After doing some research on the Web, I decided to buy one of these Vornado fans. I found a Model 633 at Bed, Bath & Beyond, which appeared to be the same fan as the 630, and contacted Vornado to see if it was. They informed me that "the 633 has a new motor, new grill design, new blade design and a slightly different base design than the 630. The 633 also moves more air (389 CFM) than the 630 (331 CFM)." That's a 17.5% boost. I've had the fan for two days now, and so far I like it. It's pretty quiet on the lowest speed, and cranks out a real torrent of air on the high setting. It doesn't oscillate, but you can tilt it up and down manually. The only control is a single knob with four positions: Off, High, Medium and Low. I paid $48 plus tax at BB&B using a 20% off coupon, and for that price it seems like a good deal.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am writing this after reading a few reviews of a very expensive "bladeless" fan, and am appalled at the thought of noise from a fan of which they speak, as we are very happy vornado owners, and have been for over 10 years- both of us thought it was worth leaving a review here... this is why we choose to give it every star we can- it deserves it.
We have a small and a larger one. The larger, we've had for ten years. It has only been cleaned once, which we needed to do after an aquarium fire. I thought it may need oiling as I had never done it, their site warns you that it has a sealed motor which never needs oiling. Great for our dogs if they start to pant, we turn it on them and it cradles them to sleep.
Both are quiet, in fact I have the tv on mute as I am typing this and all I hear from the small one now blowing on me is air, no hum as I have heard about from other "300 dollar" fans. We keep the 12 inch one downstairs, and take it outside now and again, to keep mosquitoes off of us. It takes up barely any space, and even though we have ceiling fans, the 12 inch vornado is all we both need in our lazyboys.
The large one has traveled with us onstage (we sing) as well, most musicians I have turned it to have gone after the same unit, as it has an amazing ability to hit you with a direct breeze from many feet away, and it doesn't send through to amps, wires and such, any hum at all. I can relay the look of relief from a hot stage they've sent my way when pointing it on them. That's why it's the musicians choice, especially during recording.
The larger one we have has also been in our bedroom for roughly 10 years, every night, we've never turned it on high, never needed to. It is quiet as well, and my lady is a light sleeper, it doesn't bother either of us.
If you're in the market for a fan, I can swear by this product, once you buy one you will never need another one unless you have another area in your home or workplace and don't want to keep toting this around with you- after you have one, we're 100% SURE you'll know the satisfaction we have experienced as well. A completely solid investment, I tell friends about the vornado fans for a reason- pure quality, and nothing but.
on April 28, 2010
I did a lot of research before purchasing this fan. We used one in our office to cool a server room (a smaller model) and it worked extremely well. I use this in my second floor apartment (I live in the finished attic of the house) where it gets EXTREMELY hot in the summer months (90 degrees inside). I tested this fan the other day when it was about 80 degrees and very warm in the apartment. I used this fan as the exhaust to my window circuit (one window open a 1/3 for air to enter and the other end of the apt, an exhaust window fully open with the Vornado expelling the air) and after about 30ish minutes, I noticed that room cooled down enough to notice. I also saw a drop in air temp in the living room where the outside air was coming in. I ran the fan for about 4 hours and I really noticed a decrease in air temp. I will continue to use this model as the exhaust and have a regular old box window fan for the intake.

I am pleased with this model, it seems well built and sturdy, this should last me a long time.

*For people giving this bad reviews (about the blowing force and noise), it's not a miracle in a box, it's strong enough and quiet enough for everyday use. Not to mention I got it for $60, which in reality is not that expensive and should save me a lot of money compared to an AC unit.
Verified Purchase
The folks who thought that this is a great fan are 100% correct. It does everything you paid for in such a manner that impresses the most critical. It replaces a $10 Honeywell completely. The Honeywell on low speed is louder than the Vornado on high speed. The amount of air moved is terrific. Our air-conditioning bill has already been reduced simply by just exchanging air at a lower cost than the heat-pump uses. I thought the $50 price tag was too much; however, it is well worth it.

Even though this is a top rated machine for me I would like to add that Amazon deserves so much credit. From start to finish they performed their duties far better than most retailers. I thank you for your support.
Verified Purchase
I was in a retail store recently and the store had hundreds of turned-on fans in the fan section. Some of the fans were on full-blast and I barely felt a breeze. Not the Vornado, which was roughly ten dollars more than its competition. More focused breeze gust, less noise, more power, the Vornado is worth the extra ten dollars or so. Now I've got a tiny Vornado in the kitchen and two 630B Mid Sizes, one in my office, one in the bedroom.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...