5.0 out of 5 stars A good, versatile fan! UPDATED 2014
I bought the Flippi V8 today and I love it. The main reason for my love is that it replaces a floor model fan that stood out like a sore thumb. This fan sits on the shelf, oscillates, and does what it's designed to do-keep me cool.

Published on July 4, 2008 by Carolyn

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK
Pros:
* Nice looking
* Decent construction
* 3-year warranty & Vornado service
* Quiet but definitely not silent on low - I wouldn't call it "whisper-quiet" though (as the description states), as it's noisier than that even on low

Cons:
* A bit noisy on high
* Controls a bit cumbersome, with oscillation switch in the back and a...
Published on June 17, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, versatile fan! UPDATED 2014, July 4, 2008
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)

I do agree that the oscillation switch could have been better placed but because this is a "personal" fan, I do not see that I will need to access the switch very often. If I do, I can just pick the fan up, turn it around, and flip the switch.

I intend to let it run 24/7 and I have 4 cats so it will be interesting to see how long it last.

People are asking if it is still working. Yes, yes it is. I ran it 24/7 for a year or so. Then, used it off and off until 2013 when it went back to 24/7 use. Works great!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, June 17, 2010
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
Pros:
* Nice looking
* Decent construction
* 3-year warranty & Vornado service

Cons:
* A bit noisy on high
* Controls a bit cumbersome, with oscillation switch in the back and a roll dial on the front for hi, low, off settings

Other:
* On low, uses 9 watts or 12 with oscillation turned on
* On high, uses 14 watts or 17 with oscillation turned on

4.0 out of 5 stars Love My Fan, August 11, 2008
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
I really love my little fan. He has helped save on the use of my air conditioner because it keeps my living room cool. The high speed is a little nosy but the low speed is real guiet. It has a switch for the oscilator, which is nice. The only thing I wish it had is a switch for the "on" "off" button instead of a roll dial. I have to use two hands to turn it off. One to hold the fan, and the other hand to roll the dial. Otherwise I love it. Terri

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but not quiet!, June 4, 2010
Brian Battuello (Ossining, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
I like having a fan in the bedroom at night, but my wife prefers it as quiet as possible, so I've been searching for a very quiet fan. I'm a big fan of Vornado products, so had a lot of hope for the Flippi.

The fan is cute, and is a perfect size for sitting on the bedstand. The switches (off/low/high) and oscillation on/off work fine and I have no problem with their somewhat awkward locations. But the fan isn't "silent" or even particularly quiet even on low. It sounds pretty much like any other table fan, both with wind noise and mechanical noise. I tried putting it on mouse pads, cushions and even holding it in the air, and it still sounds like a fan.

So if you want a cute, decent fan at a good price, go for it, but don't expect it to be really quiet - it's just a fan!

3.0 out of 5 stars I love it but it is a little loud, January 16, 2012
Heather Dube (Knoxville, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
Okay, in all honesty, anything that cools me down while I'm hot is going to make me happy. So it's a little hard to give a negative review on a fan. I purchased this fan mostly because of the flip down feature and the color. My office furnishings are black and white, and it gets really dusty in there so i thought this fan looked perfect because I can flip it closed when finished. That is a cool feature. A couple of things they don't make really obvious:
There are only two fan settings besides off: Low, or high. The low speed allows for a decent amount of air to cool you but sometimes is not enough. When you crank it to high it becomes very loud. It kind of disturbs my neighbors it's so loud. It's a little fan but puts out a lot of noise. Another downside is that you can't stop it from rotating. Other fans have the option to keep the fan facing the same direction constantly. This one does not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, quiet and effective desk fan, June 2, 2010
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
Small, quiet and effective at moving the air in small to medium sized rooms. Stylish, and when not in use, it is hardly noticeable. The placement of switches is not ideal as other reviewers already pointed out, but I find that insignificant. In my opinion, the Flippi V8 got all the important features right. I have had mine for a few years now and am about to buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT! Perfect for small office/cubicle., August 18, 2010
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
The Vornado V8 Flippi delivers on its promises. The clean lines, small size, variable output, and oscillation brings adaptability to small-office cooling and air circulation.

The appearance and size are perfect for a small office where often all of the available work- and shelf-space is limited. I have mine on a shelf in my credenza/book-case, on a shelf where I keep 3-ring-binder reference materials. It takes up little space and blends well with the black binders and cherry wood finish.

I really love the way it moves air and the vertical range of air-flow adjustment. Often, oscillating fans have a limited vertical adjustment for air-flow direction (if they have vertical adjustment at all), and the air flow tends to send loose papers on my desk flying. The Vornado doesn't, even though it is putting out more air than my previous fan.

The Vornado is quieter than my previous fan, but still provides the white noise I need for the occasional times when communication privacy is needed. I train incoming staff, and my office in the training room is a large cubicle (so I can be available to trainees should they have issues during the training program).

My husband also loves the fan, and will be purchasing one for his psychotherapy offie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quit working correctly when oscillating, July 7, 2013
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
Used this one night on oscillation and it worked fine. Next night I had the oscillation off and it worked fine. Third night, I turned it back to oscillation, but the fan would stop turning at the end of each oscillation cycle. The fan would be off for about two seconds, then the oscillation would start again. Too annoying to use at night because of the sound stopping and starting constantly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking fan that fails to deliver., June 4, 2008
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
This is a nice-looking fan with its polished black body and folding feature (the fan turns completely down so the grill is hidden and all you see is a big black thing-a-majig). But, the fan doesn't give that great of air output and is a bit noisy (ok in low mode but too noisy in high mode). Also, the oscillating button is hidden in the back of the fan - very inconvenient. But, the worse thing is the on/off switch is a hard-to-move dial located in the front. You need 2 hands to turn the fan on and off. One hand to hold the whole fan from falling while turning it on/off, and the other hand to actually turn the difficult on/off dial switch. The fan looks really cool but just doesn't do it for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top looks, average performance., June 23, 2010
JR (Saratoga, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator (Kitchen)
The industrial design of this fan is great. I don't mind the nearly hidden front switch. I can work it with one hand. Took me a few minutes to figure out that the back switch was the oscillating switch. It looks like an on/off switch. But I don't mind that. It oscillates very nicely. I would not hesitate to keep this in an office. The rotating angle of the fan head is good. I am only disappointed that it does not move an impressive amount of air. I spent the same on a Honeywell that is a bit bigger and not quite as hip looking that moves MUCH more air. I like this Vornado I only wish its performance was as powerful as billed, and as expected of the touted Vornado brand.

Vornado Flippi V8 Personal Air Circulator