on January 22, 2010
The Vortex 10 x 25 was a surprise when I received it. It was small (fits in my fist) and well made.
For the cost it's excellent. With the eye cup screwed out there was little to no ghosting, but I
don't wear glasses. It comes with a neat little case, a strap, and a cleaning cloth. A small monocular
is what it is. They are hard to hold steady but when I compare these to my mini Leica 10x binoculars
I would rate it a 8 and if I considered value maybe a 9. These work for my day pack and bug out bag
without taking up too much space and 10x to boot.
The Vortex is bright and very clear. It will make an excellent scope for backpacking. It won't replace
my big Minox or Leicas, but I wouldn't want to take them backpacking either. I would take the Vortex
on a hike over my small Leica 10x binoculars just for the simplicity of a monocular. No folding and unfolding.
Also if it gets dinged up it has a lifetime warranty, and if lost your looking at a little over fifty bucks.
In my humble opinion , it's a great deal.
on May 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
Great little monocular scope. Eye piece pops up and locks for eye or down for glasses viewing. Focus adjust is smooth and has a clear, sharp focus and at 10x power it is easy to hold steady. Descent night viewing under lighting conditions like streetlight etc.
Comes with a around the neck lanyard, cleaning cloth and good case but the sides of case is a cheaper elastic. Why? I don't know, when they could of used the same case material for the sides instead of cheaper, droopy elastic. (slacklastic)
But it is a nice scope and it has a Lifetime transferrable warranty to whomever has it. Company is in Wisconsin.
on March 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
That is you have to see through it to appreciate it. I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of this little scope. A quick summation should suffice:
The optical clarity is excellent all through the zoom range. There is always something better, but if it works well who cares?
The field of view is more than sufficient at the longest range.
It is easy to hold without losing sight of the target image, especially if you can lean against something for support.
Unlike binoculars it is quick to pull out and start using it.

This monocular works much better than I expected. I use it for looking at targets on a pistol/rifle range, and can easily see holes in the paper at 50 yards, sometimes out to 75 yards. It is so small it can be hidden in the hand if for some reason that would be necessary.
I have been using optical devices (rifle scopes, camera lens etc) for over 40 years so I have a good deal of experience with gadgets like this. Having paid more than $2000.00 for rifle scopes and pricey German camera optics, I find nothing wrong with this little scope. Time will tell if it wears well.
on October 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchaced the Vortex Solo 10x25 Monocular and I love it. It has better than expected crystal clear optics. Light weight and less bulk than binoculars and just as good. Great product to buy from Amazon.
on February 2, 2014
Verified Purchase
Purchased this item to carry with me every day in my computer bag to have for quick viewing of wildlife or items that are too far away to see with the naked eye. Works very well and my grandsons really like it as well.

The only issue I have found (and the only reason I did not give it 5 stars) is the eye relief as I am a glasses wearer, but for the price and size it works very well. I can make it work with a slight blackout ring around the outside due to glasses wear and short eye relief. Good focus ring movement and very easy to acquire the subject. Very bright optics as all Vortex items I have tried. Very compact and light. it is pretty rugged as well. This has what has become a standard in better quality optics, the twist up eye cup and it works well and stays in place.

I would recommend this for anyone that is not a glasses wearer that wants compact, clear and bright optics in a monocular. If you are a fellow glasses wearer and as I have learned to do, tolerate short eye relief, it is not too bad for us either. I could not find another product that was this compact and good optics quality that has long enough eye relief for glasses wearers.
on December 31, 2013
Verified Purchase
Bought both the 10x25 and 10x36 Vortex Solos with the idea of returning one. Kept both. Beautifully bright optics on both models. Viewing objects under moonlight is not a problem. The 10x25 is smaller and lighter and for this reason it stays in my carry bag. However it does not have the belt clip like the 10x36. With the belt clip, this monocular would be super convenient. Neck strap has white threading on it which looks very nice but is not great of you are using it in an environment where you don't want to draw attention to yourself - like hunting. 10x25 's field of view is only slightly less than the 10x36. You won't miss the difference. Both models feel good in the hand. At under $100 this is a real value.
on December 25, 2012
I do recommend reading a little on what the 10x25 and all that means so you figure what size will suit your needs.

After doing some reading I figured this should be a perfect monocular for when I go out on expeditions and camping.

This feels very sturdy and well built, with good focus adjustment. It comes with a carrying protector. It will allow you to take a closer look at far away trees or cliffs in detail so it serves the purpose perfectly.

This isn't for telescoping large distances but rather for taking a closer look at something you may notice along a trail.

Great piece of equipment for your camping gear or even just for when you go out to take a walk :) Recommended!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2014
Verified Purchase
As an amateur photographer for 40+ years, and an owner of many Nikon lenses as well as an excellent Nikon binocular, I value lens quality. I was pleasantly surprised by the view from this monocular. It has a crisp, clean image I would expect from higher end optics. It appears well made and has a very solid feel to it. The focus ring may be too stiff for some, but I consider that an advantage if you view single areas frequently, such as watching bird nests or game trails, etc.. Focus stays exactly where you want it. The retractable extension for those wearing glasses is a plus. Just a simple twist and the eyepiece extends or retracts for eyeglass wearers. I consider 10x25mm an ideal size. The 10X magnification is about as much as one wants and still maintain handheld stability, and 25mm diameter size allows it to fit in the palm of your hand or in a shirt pocket. It's a perfect compliment to my optical collection.
on October 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
I really like the solid feel of the Vortex Solo Monocular. I only wish the carrying case could be attached without separation when out in the field. But the clarity is very good. I also can use it for close up observations. I did a lot of research before buying this. Some may think it is a little large for distance backpacking but it is very sturdy and reliable.
on March 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
I had a hard time deciding whether to get a 10 power or something less powerful; eventually I decided for my needs (scouting distant passes and cross-country routes while backpacking) the extra power would be better. The weight is less than binoculars, but still substantial. I need to be standing still to keep the image from bouncing around, but that's expected. It does the job, now I have to decide if it's worth the weight to carrying it for five weeks.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations