5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3x magnifier
Published 15 months ago by Benjmain L Yang

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but keeps coming off rail mount!
I bought this for my sons Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle as a cheaper option than the EOTech magnifier that I have for my AR-15. The magnifier in itself works just as well as the EOTech, however there are some considerable differences in its ease of use and operation.
In order to flip it back and forth, you have to push a button unlike the EOTech. This is not a...
Published 5 months ago by Magnum PI

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3x magnifier, May 9, 2013
Benjmain L Yang (Saint Paul, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
Just picked up this magnifier, installed it and I was immediately blown away at how clear and precise the image is. I have it mounted behind an Eotech 512 and it looks great. The box comes with an addition piece to add to the mount to give it a lower 1/3 coziness if that's your thing. The mount locks in place and is really solid. Comparing the price to an Eotech or Aimpoint, this is an absolute steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for an Aimpoint Pro, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
It took me about a week or 2 to decide either save money & roll the dice with one of the unknown brands or go with all the other reviewers that said The Vortex VMX-3T was worth it's price. I just got it yesterday and put it behind my Aimpoint Pro on my Bushmaster .223 AR. I'm so glad I went with Vortex, the mount lines up perfectly and super easy to line it up behind the Aimpoint. THe view is crystal clear and combined with the Aimpoint red dot it kinda feels like a high-tech scope view you would see in a first person shooter video game if that makes any sense. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I'm not anticipating any problems based on the sturdiness so far. The only thing I will warn you is is the optic doesnt come with a lend cover. For the price isn't that not too much to ask? Throw me a freakin' bone here! But that's not a huge deal I ordered a lens cover on amazon without much trouble searching. In summary, I think it's worth the price and makes a bad-freakin-ars combination with the aimpoint pro red dot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and function at a good price., November 10, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
Don't be tempted to buy a cheap Chinese knockoff of an expensive magnifier. I did, and was sorry squared. The magnifier was a cosmetic copy of an Eotech. The first thing that happened is the mounting screw stripped when I tried to tighten it on the mount. Then I had the misfortune of looking through the lens. Blurred, and no focusing adjustment. Had to throw the whole thing away.
The Vortex, on the other hand mounts solidly. (yes there is slight play in the viewing position which doesn't affect your red dot sighting). The Vortex is clear, sharp and easy to focus for different vision refractions. It lives behind my Eotech XPS2, and works perfectly.

Pros: 1. Excellent quality of both scope and mount.
2. Price 1/2 to 1/3 of Eotech or Aimpoint magnifiers.
3. Easy to use swing away mount with minimal play in the shooting position.
4. Clear and sharp optic with focus adjustment.
5. Red dot centering adjustments.
6. A shim is included, so if you don't want absolute co-witness, it raises the magnifier to move the red dot down
to the lower third of the view for easier target acquisition.

Cons: 1. It's not an Eotech or Aimpoint product.
2. I Don't have enough time on it to evaluate it's durability
3. A quick detach lever mount would be much nicer than the hex screw provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Accessory, May 20, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
I have the Vortex StrikeFire and this seems as though the two were made for each other! Simple installation and ease of use. Took it to the range and had no problem using it except for the fact that I didn't use any lock-tight before setting the screws that hold the magnifier to the mount. Not a huge issue, but you need to remember that before using it.

This magnifier really allows you to see the green/red dot superbly. Just adjust the brightness and fire away! I was putting 1.5" shot groups on target at 100 yards with no issues! I then flipped out the sight and engaged close up targets with ease. The button on the mount to swing the magnifier out of the way is simple and effective.

I would highly recommend this magnifier to go with your StrikeFire!! I am now in the market for a cover for the magnifier and found out from Vortex that the size needed is 1.360" (approx. 34.54mm). Not sure where to look for it, but I would want to protect the glass as soon as I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for the Redfield Counter Strike!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
Following up to my prior review of this optic. I now have it on my rifle. With 2 shims it co-witnesses perfectly with my Redfield Counter Strike Red Dot! The second shim was sent to me by Vortex FREE when I called Vortex and told them about my visit to the retailer to see if the VMX-3T would co-witness to the CounterStrike and that It was a bit shy of lining up with only the 1 shim supplied with the unit. Vortex does not sell the unit with 2 shims but they were happy to send me a second shim to raise the magnifier higher on my rifle. At the same time they gave me the specs for the longer screws I would need to pass through 2 shims and into the optic as those did not come with the magnifier either. I was able to walk right in to the mfgr warehouse at Fastenal and obtain the proper screws, also FREE! The two shims actually sit on top of one another, they do not fit "inside" of one another but with the screws installed it's a tight ship and works great. Now the barrel of my VMX-3T aligns up EXACTLY with the barrel of the Redfield Counterstrike red dot sight.

Once I had it installed it was like a dream come true. The clarity of the VMX-3T optic is UNBELIEVABLE! The eye relief is incredible as well. While I held the rifle up in a shooting position with the proper eye relief so I could see the entire site picture window, my wife measured from the very back of the optic to the corner of my eye socket on the side of my eye and the distance measured as 4 inches! Wow! I remember how I had to stuff my eye almost right in the EoTech magnifier in order to be able to see through it. The eye relief is almost non-existent. The sight was solid on the mount.

Next for the big test... I wanted the magnifier to tilt to the right because I am right eye dominant and I shoot right handed so having it tilt to the left blocked my left eye when using the red dot without the VMX-3T in place for magnifying the sight picture. To change the tilt direction, I just mounted the magnifier backward from the way they show it normally mounted and now it tilt to the right and not the left. Let me tell you something, reaching up to the VMX-3T with my left hand and pushing the button, which now faces the front of the rifle and is now on the opposite side of the magnifier from my left hand (using my right hand to hold the rifle by the pistol grip, and while tilting the magnifier out of the way to the right side, it is sooooo easily done that if after a couple times practicing you can't complete this maneuver you should probably not have the rifle in your hands anyway! This is such an easy thing to do and then there is a bonus. You will remember when I tested the EoTech magnifier I discovered how stiff it was when trying to move the magnifier in and out of position I reported it was not a "slap" adjustment as advertised at all. With the VMX-3T, when you rotate the VMX-3T out of the sight picture, and stop rotating it before it locks all the way over and it will stay right there and not move. It is tight enough to hold in a partially rotated position and then, when you desire to have it back in the sight picture you can just "slap" it right into position without having to actuate the push button at all! Very fast operation.

Again, if you can't figure this out then I don't want to be anywhere on your same hemisphere of the earth when you have a firearm in your hands because you should not even have it in the first place. You are going to hurt somebody and maybe that will be you! I don't know how else to tell you any better how easy this is to operate. Others will tell you it's a pain or cumbersome or hard and that is simply because they are trying to convince themselves that "that other brand" that they spent way too much on is better just so they feel better. At half the price of the EoTech, at twice the eye relief, at twice the clarity when looking through it, as easy as it is to operate and as sharp as it looks on your rifle, WHY would you ever spend more for a magnification unit that is only half as good. This outshines the EoTech G33 by a country mile and trust me, a true competitor, don't waste the money on it. This Vortex VMX-3T is not something you "settle" for, it is a magnifier that you race to the store to buy before anyone else get's the last one!

Purchase this magnifier and you will not be one bit sorry, you'll be ecstatic you did!

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
I have an AimPoint Pro and wanted a 3x for it. An Aimpoint 3x was priced out of this world BTW. The Vortex VMX-3T was priced right and other Vortex products I have seen were of good quality and priced fairly. The cowitness can be set to 1/3 to match the Aimpoint Pro. The glass is clear and overall quality is decent. One niggle I have with it is the swing mount does not lock up totally solid. The play is minimal so no big deal. I do like the adjustments that allow centering of the dot if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount, July 27, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
For the price, this is hard to beat.. Works great with my EO-Tech mounted on a FN SCAR 17, makes fast shots @ 100 yrds on 4" plates possible and easy. The mount is secure and positive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good piece for the money, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
The glass is better than expected, flip mount is a little cumbersome, and has a little play in it. All in all though not a bad piece for half the price a nice one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely happy with purchase!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
I choose this 3X magnifying optic because of price. I am so glad I didn't buy the Aimpoint for $600 or the Eotech at around $500 with rebate. I'm kind of a name brand "snob" and was apprehensive about the Vortex until reading the reviews. I mounted the optic on my SAR Tavor. This optic does exactly what it is supposed to do. Why spend 100's more? I did mount the flip-mount backwards as one other reviewer stated because I want the magnifer to be on the right hand side of the rifle when not in use. I have yet to experience the wobble in the mount, that others had mentioned. Time will tell if the swing arm develops any "play". However, Burris makes a 30mm mount ($60) that moves the optic out of the way. That will be my "fix" if I should need to replace the Vortex mount. Right now it's too early to tell. Materials are all of good quality. Optic can be used as a hand-held like some of the other brands say. I will probably invest in an inexpensive pair of protective caps to keep on the magnifer when I take it off the rifle. Finally, my VMX-3T co-witnessed with my Aimpoint Comp M4 just fine. I did not need to use the extra metal shim that Vortex includes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount (Sports)
Vortex Magnifier is perfect with my Eotech 512 on my DPMS, Sighted perfectly with it and worked flawlessly at the range.

Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount