5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book about Voting!
Published on November 16, 2004 by Lynn Ellingwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased book
Published 23 months ago by D. Meyers

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased book, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
I was looking for a book to read to my 5 year old for the election this year and purchased this one. However after reading it, I found it was incredibly biased. The information was presented as if one candidate is good because they have good views and the other candidate is bad because they have bad views. This isn't what I want to teach my children about voting or the country we live in. Just because you may disagree with someone doesn't make the other person "bad". It is disappointing to see an adult advocate those values in a children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book about Voting!, November 16, 2004
This review is from: Vote! (Hardcover)
I was so impressed at how easy and enjoyable this book was to read. It's about time someone wrote a good children's book about voting. Most books about voting are dry, dull and totally detached. This book provides a likable protaganist and takes us through the voting and election process. Students of mine who have read non-fiction books on voting and been left totally confused as well as bored may finally "get it" with this one. Good job!

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
This book was alright, not what I was looking for. Ira a little to wordy for my 2 and 5 year old, and the illustrations were just okay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Kids @ Teens Read Too, March 8, 2008
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
I wholeheartedly believe that it's imperative that we teach children about the importance of voting. With the freedom of democracy in the United States, we have the ability to choose who we want to lead us. It's up to use to teach our children how wonderful that freedom really is!

Eileen Christelow presents VOTE! in an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand format, with fun characters and illustrations, that will appeal to even the youngest of readers. Although they may be too young to vote, children of all ages will learn how important that right is.

VOTE! presents the mayoral race of Chris Smith and Bill Brown, two opponents who both want to lead the city. They have different platforms on which they're running, different types of families, and different agendas and reasons that they want to be mayor.

Although the book is a bit one-sided in making one candidate out to be the "good guy" and one to be the "bad guy," children will be able to get a basic understanding of how elections work.

Also of interest is the glossary of election-related terms at the back of the book, along with a timeline of voting rights, interesting facts about political parties, and additional website resources for further exploration.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Appearances of Bias, August 10, 2004
This review is from: Vote! (Hardcover)
While I like the way the information is presented with the humor of the dogs along with the explanations, I have several problems with this book. #1 I disagree with presenting one candidate in a good light (Chris Smith who is portrayed to care about schools, and has her child campaigning for her, aka "liberals are compassionate"), and the other as a villian (Bill Brown, whose platform is portrayed to be based on building a new stadium, a cold businessman who doesn't like animals or care about children, aka "the non-compassionate conservative"). This nice candidate/mean candidate portrayal is a poor way to teach childen voting discernment. #2 At the end of the book, there is "A Timeline of Voting Rights". Again, this is a great idea- laying out these important dates to understand more easily. However, I find the comments regarding the 2000 Presidential Election troubling. The author carefully implies that the 2000 Presidential Election was bogus, and the 2002 voting act will take care of faulty elections in the future. I believe this book would've been much more effective had the author NOT brought biases into play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info for kids and adults, June 7, 2005
L. Nein "Neiner" (Eastern MidWest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
Since citizenship education is becoming such a focus in the elementary shcools (and rightly so), it is good to see a really informative and kid-focused book about voting available to the grades that really need the boost. The pictures are engaging and colorful, and the "action" is enough to keep any kid interested. The timeline and glossary and excellent for teachers planning a lesson, and accessible to a kid who is looking for information for a report.

This is a great book to integrate into the classroom or to help your children understand the essentials of the primary element of democracy.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
Condition as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, October 5, 2013
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
I so appreciate the way I can obtain books at Amazon for a good price. This book is fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., July 12, 2013
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
The book has never looked even more better than it has before. The cover was good and the pictures were also brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, January 23, 2013
Steph "teffer" (Santa Rosa, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vote! (Paperback)
A good book about touching on the election process of the United States. Hard for a read aloud, but great to touch on key facts. the kids liked the two dogs in the story as well.

Vote! by Eileen Christelow (Paperback - February 18, 2008)
$7.99 $7.19