4.0 out of 5 stars Good songs, great voice, ruined by safe production
Published on December 4, 2011 by PlayingWithFire

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Singer, Watered down production
I listened to the "Live at Sing Sing Studios" videos on youtube and was floored by this amazing talent. Her band is solid as well.
Published on June 3, 2012 by it2b

4.0 out of 5 stars Good songs, great voice, ruined by safe production, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
I just want to say that this is an artist to look forward to. The things she can do with her voice is amazing and it looks like she got good help with song writing as well. Songs are really intricate yet still catchy at first listen. My gripe with this album is its rather mundane and safe production. It sounds like a studio CD when her more "live" vocals are far more moving. Seriously, you haven't heard her until you go and watch her Sing Sing Studio videos. Go to youtube now and watch them, it may be the same song but the presentation is vastly different. Thank me later.

Favorite so far: Settle Down, Two Way Street, Call Me, Wandering Limbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~Kimbra's Vows: Quirky and Beautiful~, May 22, 2012
LuKasAV6 (Longview, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
Like a beautiful musical sprite from another planet, Kimbra casts a spell with Vows, her debut album that is both a wonder and treasured gift. It doesn't fit in the box of any musical genre. It cleverly covers a wide range of musical styles which is a testament to Kimbra's artistry. Here are my 5 favorite songs for now:

"Something In The Way You Are" so perfectly expresses that curiosity you have that drives you to get to know someone better (or to psychotically obsess over someone). Whatever the case,

"Cameo Lover" is a fun flashback to the 60s, this sounds like a spirited hit that Phil Spector would have written.

"Good Intent" has a air of suspense to it in terms of sound. And I love how the lyrics express that good intent don't always render the best results. How true!

"Call Me" (from the deluxe version) - Growing up on a healthy diet of R&B/Funk, I naturally gravitated to this song instantly. No cryptic lyrics or deep emotional content here; just a great head-bopper.

"Sally I Can See You" - an ode to the eternal them of change. I love the chord progression throughout the song.

Vows is a remarkable debut from an intelligent, gifted artist. What an all too rare and satisfying experience it is!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Singer! album does not do her justice., January 13, 2012
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
Kimbra is a true talent. Comparisons to Nina Simone, and Amy Winehouse are justified. She has real talent, and this album is great, and she is beautiful to boot, however, if you watch her "Live at Sing Sing" videos on you-tube, you will see that she cannot be contained by a conservatively produced album. She is a force to be reckoned with, is an incredible presence in her live performances, and her albums need to reflect that better otherwise she is being sold short.

Don't get me wrong, I like this album a lot, but it really only captures about %50 of what she is capable of.

She needs to establish a presence in Europe and the US, get her album available on amazon in the US as a proper, cheap album rather than an import.

I hope she gets the recognition she deserves as one of the best female singers currently producing music!

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Singer, Watered down production, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Vows (MP3 Music)
I bought the CD Vows as soon as it came out in the US and was disappointed by how watered down the producers made the album. The punch the drums had on the youtube videos is not there. Instead they are replaced with electronic percussion. The energy is just not the same.

I would still recommend the CD, or at least purchasing some of the better songs like "Good Intent", "Cameo Lover" or "Two Way Street". Kimbra's voice is melodic and pleasant and powerful. The songs blend Jazz with pop, which is very refreshing to hear in this day of cookie cutter pop singers playing 3 chord music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was so excited for it, I ordered weeks ago from NZ!, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Vows (Deluxe Version) (MP3 Music)
Vows lives in my car CD player. It's a great summer album!! Best tracks are surely "Two Way Street"(#1 song played on my iPhone) "Settle Down" "Cameo Lover" and "Good Intent" are fabulous, and they all have amazing music videos online! Finally, "Limbo" and "Call Me". Love Kimbra.

Buy the album, you'll be glad you did!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
all I can say is WOW, and why are we not hearing this music in america?why are we deprived of all this great music from around the world,If it wasnt for stumbling on this music online we would never hear of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eargasm, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
I never review my purchases and I'm a very frequent online shopper, but I just had to say something about this album. It's fantastic. Listen to "Come Into My Head" with headphones on and at the beginning, with the way they have the sound balanced, it's as though the music is actually passing straight through your head from one ear to the other! I listened to Settle Down after hearing her voice in Somebody That I Used To Know, and I assure you that the rest of this album is just as good. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kimbra's Vows = Mountains on my skin., May 29, 2012
This review is from: Vows (MP3 Music)
I must say Kimbra's Vows album for the US is by far one of the best I've heard in years. I once told her on SoundCloud after hearing a few of her songs there, that it gives me goosebumps listening to it, but goosebumps is an understatement, more like "mountains on my skin" to quote one of her older songs! There are six new songs on this album that were not released on her New Zealand/Australian versions of Vows and they are just as good in Kimbra fashion. My favorites of this album which I purchased on cd, is Good Intent, Plain Gold Ring (Live), Something In The Way You Are, Posse and The Build Up! I can listen to these songs over and over. As a musician myself, I would be in heaven and totally honored to play with such a talented lady! I highly recommend purchasing all of her releases of Vows, as I have, because they are all somewhat different. Everything I hear her sing raises "Mountains On My Skin." It's how I know it's good stuff when I feel that! Kimbra is absolutely an incredible talent. I buy her cd's so I can hold it in my hand...I guess I am old fashioned this way, sorry Warner Music Group Green, I have to have the disc. :-) Buy it, and keep this hard working young lady on the airwaves, you won't ever regret it! Sorry Amazon I purchased this through another vendor recommended by Kimbra. If you are lucky enough to find the Limited Edition version with the Sing, Sing DVD, buy it! It's pricey but totally worth it. An incredible, albeit short, little production but the quality of which is beyond compare! Vows (Ltd ed)

5.0 out of 5 stars In a Romantic State of Bliss., May 31, 2012
This review is from: Vows (MP3 Music)
I listen to the album all the time: when I sleep to when I go jogging. Her voice puts me in a trance and my heart fills with love. I feel like Im a better person after experiencing the richness of her voice and the album. She is right up there to me w SIA...and waaay better than ADELE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 3, 2012
This review is from: Vows (MP3 Music)
i dare to say one of the best emerging artists, She has a very unique style, and a very distinct voice

Vows
Vows by Kimbra (Audio CD - 2011)