5.0 out of 5 stars Vox Mini5 Rhythm Battery Powered Amp with Rhytnm
Published 17 months ago by Skyeye

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great.
Not nearly as good of sound(s) as I was expecting from the other ratings I read and I get an annoying hum using the power cord I don't get with my other amps. I would never use my money on this amp again. The effects are low quality all around imo. Try Behringer if you want a nice clean clear sound and get separate pedals for your effects.

And as an update...
Published 12 months ago by kiboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Vox Mini5 Rhythm Battery Powered Amp with Rhytnm, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Vox Mini5 Rhythm 1 x 6.5" 5-Watt Battery Powered Amp with Rhythm (Electronics)
Well, this is the epitome of portable amps! This thing is built like a tank and extremely well laid out! It has superior sound and the effects are over the top in an amp of this size. A/C or AA battery power. The speaker is a 6" and fills my large room with sound. You could use this to gig in a small venue. The Rhythm section is great with many settings and styles. They are multi-instrument and some with hand claps. Awesome! The microphone section will have you sounding like Tony Bennett! or Dianna Krall (if you are a gal that is)

I can't find anything bad to say about this fine amp.

After all, it's a VOX!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first electric guitar amp, and I'm having a lot fun!, March 11, 2014
T. Robison "Got Aperture?" (seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I selected this amp after reading many reviews on similar, portable practice amps with all of their attributes. It was a hard choice, as there are around 4, or 5 amps that fit what I was looking for. What really sold me on this amp, the Vox Mini 5 Rhythm, was the build quality reported by other reviewers, the hours of playing time on battery power, 5W 6.5 inch speaker, and most importantly, the multi-rhythm play-along beats you can select and adjust volume, and tempo, independent of the guitar amp volume.
I am a late entry beginner to guitar (meaning over age 50), and am thoroughly enjoying learning guitar, both acoustic and now, electric. I do have one acoustic/electric guitar which I plugged into the, Vox Mini 5 Rhythm, just to see what it would sound like, and it is usable, though this amp really isn't designed for that. So, get a separate acoustic guitar amp if that is what you play the most.
I would highly recommend the, Vox Mini 5, to anyone looking for this category of portable amps. Though the choices are very close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vox Mini5 Rhythm 1 x 6.5" 5-Watt Battery Powered Amp with Rhythm and E-String Tuner, October 26, 2014
I have a DA5 (predecessor to this model), and thought it was starting to fail, --so, looked for another which turns out to be this.

Some things are changed around, which is fine this way too. This unit uses AA Batt., not the C size of the other, --would hope the same amazing time to play on the AA's is the same... time will tell. But, this one comes with AC Power chord, --excellent. (Wish it came with rechargeable Batt.'s and charged with AC plugged in like some others do. However, then what would the price point be. No complaints, just "would be nice".

The addition of the Tuner for the E string, --very nice.

The built in rhythm, drum samples, with desperate level and tempo control, --excellent.

The tone is different from the DA5, in that this is not as "bright", --the speaking on this is 5W RMS, the DA5 was 10W RMS. Nonetheless, the tone is great and seems to have the same range as far as I can tell so far. I occasionally used the DA5 as Line Out with great results too, ... time will tell with this one. But, don't see why it won't sound good.

I have many Amps, and Speakers to compare this with (having built an occasional Tube-amp myself), --and I don't see any tone or volume issues at all with this. This 5W has excellent presence, all around.

This unit, from me, gets a rare from me, 5-Stars. With all the amplifiers, etc. I have, this one sits next to my "main" relaxing chair where I always have an instrument in hand, --plugged into this, or the other DA5.

My extended hope is the rechargeable AA Batt.'s I may try with this will last for the extended time as the original iteration did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect quiet practice amp, November 3, 2014
R. Beasley "rnb65" (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased at Guitar Center. I love this little box. It's the perfect practice amp if you live in an apartment/condo and need to keep the volume down. On the .1 watt setting, I can get everything from sparkling clean to heavy crunch at volume levels not likely to bother anyone. The various amp models each offer something different and I find the AC30TB to be my favorite. I have a fat strat and the AC30TB responds well to be SC and HB pups. The effects are decent for a tiny modeling amp. The thing that really makes this amp shine is the rhythm section. It's awesome to be able to practice to real drum beats rather than just the monotonous tick tock of a metronome and this amp offers 99 different rhythm patterns with complete control over speed and loudness. The carry handle could be better designed. It's difficult to get on/off and is blocking the controls if you leave it on all the time. But other than that, this is the ultimate quite practice amp, though it can get plenty loud if you put it on the 5 watt setting and crank the volume and gain. Well done Vox!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this amp!, January 31, 2014
I do vocals and play acoustic guitar and they both sound great on the Mini5 Rhythm. The sound from this little amp is amazing! Lots of great features and effects and very portable. I bought the Classic model with the diamond fret cloth and gold trim...love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute lil amp!, November 7, 2013
This is an excellent little amp. For practice it cranks out plenty of sound and the modeling features and effects cover all the basics. I especially like the ability to scale the power from 4 watts to 1/4 watt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vox got it right again!, December 3, 2014
This is a truly excellent practice/busking amp. Nice size and weight, built like a tank. The controls are well laid out and make sense visually. Love the chickenhead knobs! The amp emulations and the effects are top notch. Great to be able to play and sing though a single amplifier. The rhythm section is not a full-on drum machine, but it provides a great variety of beats and sounds for practicing. Having the rhythm on-board and instantly available is a huge boon for improving my playing. Easy to use tempo dial. Unit sounds great and it's fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good models and excellent rhythm, July 30, 2014
ctgblue (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
Really good little amp. Vox, IMO, has some of the best models for these small practice amps, their VT+ series is stellar. I got this for the included rhythm, which is very good and very flexible. The 6.5" speaker as decent, wish it were 8". all in all, 5 stars for doing what it is designed for really well, but only 4 stars because that's not a lot. But with a full battery wireless rig, you can play anywhere with absolutely zero cables. That is worth the price by itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portability... It's time to bring the electric guitar to the campfire =), August 29, 2013
Great portability... It's time to bring the electric guitar to the campfire =)
You can also use it as a speaker for your music device.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm lovin' it!, August 20, 2014
Love this little guy. Very compact yet, versatile. I live in a condo so volume is an issue. The adjustable wattage makes it perfect for my situation. All of the features on it make this the perfect companion as a practice amp...maybe even on stage, ran through the PA. Its just loads of fun!