5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic
When we first read The Island Light to our daughter when she was 3 1/2, she was mesmerized and wanted us to read it to her day after day. The peaceful story, the beautiful cadence of the words, and the delightful illlustrations were a joy to look at time and time again.
Published on September 22, 2002 by Maria Goodavage

3.0 out of 5 stars This book works against learned optimism.
I thought this was a nice book until the third or so time we read it to our three year old daughter. We could could hardly get to the "escape" to the bunny planet fantasy. All she could ask was: Why didn't he play with the boys? Why didn't he offer them a present so they would be nice? Why didn't he suggest another game? Why ... etc. It struck us that the...
Published on November 18, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic, September 22, 2002
Maria Goodavage (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Particularly inspirational to our girl was Felix's tiny, cozy room in the lighthouse. At the time, our daughter was sleeping in a twin bed in our room, and we weren't sure how we were going to find space in our small house for her own bedroom. (My husband and I both work from home, which didn't help in the "finding a bedroom" problem.) One day she was exploring a closet in another room and noticed it has a window, nice hardwood floors, and could easily fit a little bed and a book shelf. "It could be like Felix's bedroom in the lighthouse!" she exclaimed. So we emptied the crammed closet (no easy feat in a little house!) and transformed it into a cozy room much like Felix's. ... She has been enraptured about that room ever since. We live by the ocean in a fog-prone area, so many nights she even falls asleep to the sound of the foghorn in her "lighthouse room." On nights when she's a little apprehensive to sleep because of seeing/reading something too scary during the day, she'll think of Janet wrapping her arms around her and floating her to the Bunny Planet.
I just now came to Amazon to order the Bunny Planet series (we'd been borrowing them from the library all this time because I couldn't find them at our local book stores), and I am shocked that these magical books are no longer in print. We all need the Bunny Planet sometimes, and I hope a publisher will ... produce these beautiful books once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love these!, November 22, 1999
Such charming little books! I'm asked to read and re-read them by my son , and I'm glad to do it. They are warm and refreshing little tales of how the imagination helps to rejuvenate us when we are tired, cold, loney, bored, or just out of sorts. Imagination,(and art), make us human and give us something no other creature (including "bunnies")has. Kind of like W. Blake's "Songs of Innocence". We'll be rereading these for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars We've all had days when we needed a trip to the Bunny Planet, October 13, 1999
This are perfect little books. In so few words, Wells lets us experience truly awful days from a child's standpoint, and then lets us see another day that would have been the opposite, a wonderful day. My 5 year old son loves these books, and I think they also send a message to parents---we should strive to give our children more days like the Bunny Planet days, and we should understand that even young children can have very bad days from which they truly need a restoring break.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Needed Vacation from Reality., October 12, 1999
Mark M. Dennen (Lincoln, RI United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my little girl to have. I have had the unexpected result of having to pry it from my wife's hands to read it to my daughter. My wife is as enchanted by it as my daughter, and frequently at work calls me up and asks to be taken to the Bunny Planet.
It is wonderful how the author builds the "should have beens" out of the disappointments that were. When the little bunny is being picked on, his perfect day is to be alone. When his parents ignore him, he is whisked off to a land where he has his father's attention.
Everyone deserves a half hour a day on the bunny planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bunny Planet lives inside each one of us., August 20, 1999
By A Customer
When our daughter was small, we read her all the Rosemary Wells books we could find. This is the one that has stuck. She says, "The Bunny Planet is the land of dreams." We have given several sets away as presents, to children and adults, to those in need and to those who are just fine, thank you. It's lovely any time as a way of reminding us that "it was there all along," with all the other memories, dreams, and fantasies that sustain us. Thank you, Rosemary Wells.

5.0 out of 5 stars All is Wells', December 12, 2003
Red Baron (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Children's books -- and I mean the ones that we read to our children -- are most magical when their images simultaneously touch the imagination of the child and the heart of the parent. In this set of 3 short, marvellous books, Ms. Wells out-does all who have tried to accomplish that feat. The illustrations and text are perfect compliments. The stories are as humorous as they are touching. And, by the end of each little book, the frustrations and disappointments felt by these young bunnies, all dissipate in a very mystical, dream-like fashion (I feel like taking a snooze, myself). Bravo, Rosemary!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Need a Voyage to the Bunny Planet!, November 26, 1997
By A Customer
Remember that old Excedrin commericial? "I've got a headache THIS BIG!" Read Rosemary Wells's adorable picture book trilogy, "Voyage of the Bunny Planet", and you'll learn another great trick to calm your jangled nerves. In each book a little bunny has a rough bunny day--late school bus, yucky lunch, crazy cousins... But help is on the way. "Far beyond the moon and stars, Twenty light- years south of Mars, Spins the Gentle Bunny Planet. And the Bunny Queen is Janet." Bunny Queen Janet takes each stressed-out little rabbit to "the day that should have been." From relaxing in the moss green forest, to making First Tomato soup with mom, to playing cards with dad in a warm house while it rains hard outside, Rosemary Wells perfectly evokes memories and feelings of safety and serenity. This is an ideal holiday gift for any age. Children will be soothed at night by the gentle text and sweetly-illustrated bunnies, and adults will love Wells's quirky humour and the memories of childhood this trilogy lovingly recreates. So don't let the hectic pace of the holiday season get you down--grab some egg nog and take a Voyage to the Bunny Planet!

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a commentary than a review..., January 13, 2002
"plum607" (Lake Forest, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to this set of books in a Children's Literature class in 1992, taught by a gifted story-teller. But it was more her ability to pick a good story than her wonderful presentation that has caused me to write a few lines here in hopes that this special set of books will not go out of print, but will find its way into many more homes and lives.
It is for children of ALL ages. It is now 10 years later, my youngest child is in middle school, but still, whenever anyone has a bad day, I know that they just need a 'voyage to the bunny planet...far beyond the moon and stars.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Comfort!, September 20, 2004
My daughter (3) and I love this book. We turn to it whenever our spirits need a lift. In fact, the other day she told her father that HE needed a trip to the Bunny Planet after he had reprimanded her. I am purchasing a set for my daughter's preschool library so that her schoolmates will also have the chance to go to the Bunny Planet and see "the day that should have been". Get the book and start a tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated poetry!, September 4, 2005
David Kennedy (Shippensburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I agree with the positive reviews above. I just want to add a note on genre. At the start of each book, when everything is going wrong for a young bunny, the story is in regular prose. For the second half of each book, when the bunny is transported to a land of peace and perfection, Wells converts to beautiful rhymed verse. While the content of the books might be best for 4-8 year olds, the poetry is so nice that any adult would find it a good read. The transition poem in the middle of each book uses a weak rhyme with "Janet," but beyond that, the latter halves of these three books belong in the children's lit Hall of Fame!

Voyage to the Bunny Planet
Voyage to the Bunny Planet by Rosemary Wells (Hardcover - January 24, 2008)
$17.99 $14.12