94 of 96 people found the following review helpful
on January 2, 2012
Even though this isn't due out until next month (FYI, it'll be a GREAT Valentine's Day this year!), I saw this show in October, was completely blown away and I've been anxiously awaiting it's release! I've seen a show on every tour, have all the CDs & DVDs and have even met a few of the lads and I have to admit that in seeing this last show I was a little skeptical. It was the first time I would be seeing them with the new line-up (Emmet in for Paul and Daniel in for Damian) and I just wasn't sure it would live up to the original sound...I could not have been more wrong! It was utterly fantastic! So much so, that I tried to get in to another show just to see them again and bring my Mom. However, I/we realized that that was a bit obsessive and we couldn't justify the costs of tickets/hotels/flights so we've been waiting for it to come out on DVD where we'll get a front row seat as many times as we want! They do so many great traditional Irish tunes and some surprising covers of country & Elton John songs. If you're a fan or just love good music and lovely eye candy GET THIS DVD and enjoy!
35 of 35 people found the following review helpful
on March 3, 2012
First, here is the song list. (56:12)
1. Atmos, Druids, Deas Meus
3. Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears
4. The Dutchman
5. Jigs & Reels
6. Lagan Love
7. Black Is the Color
8. Over the Rainbow
9. Maid of Culmore
10. Girls, Girls, Girls
11. Red Rose Cafe
12. Kindred Spirits
13. Clancy Bros Medley
(I'll Tell Me Ma, Courtin' in the Kitchen, Irish Rover)
14. Past the Point of Rescue
15. Ride on
16. All Day Long
17. The Galway Girl
Second, here are the perfomers.
Four of the establshed singers are in this concert.
Two have left the group and are not in this concert.
One new singer has been added.
And there is one special guest singer who is very young and extremely talented.
The first song is in Latin, the second song is in Irish, and the fifth song is a jig. All the rest is in English, with at least one performed in an older, but clearly understandable, form of English. It's a very nice concert, but it's edited to last about 56 minutes, so it's a little short and it felt a little incomplete and truncated. I would have loved to see and hear a few more songs, especially from Mr. Donaldson.
[Update: March 12, 2012]
[Other reviewers have compared the DVD to the PBS special. I watched Boston's PBS special a couple of days ago, and the PBS concert does contain quite a few more songs than the DVD. Plus, the TV special was in high definition with excellent sound and much better picture quality in comparison to the DVD. Still, the DVD looks and sounds good and I enjoyed it.]
35 of 38 people found the following review helpful
on January 13, 2012
Celtic Thunder is an amazing experience. They always tape the DVDs in front of a live audience, and that audience is always blown away by the power and intensity of the experience. The songs in "Voyage" were part of the fall tour, most of them, and when I heard them performed onstage, I KNEW that this DVD would become part of my CT library. I do have all the others, and when I think it doesn't get better - it does, year after year. These men meld ever more closely as a harmonic group, and the solo performances reveal more and more of the talent and gift of each one. Although 2 members of the original 5 have moved on in their professional lives, the men who now make up Celtic Thunder cannot be viewed as "replacements." As in the original show, each one has unique style, standout ability, and if there ever was a case where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts, this is it. Voyage on, Celtic Thunder!
24 of 27 people found the following review helpful
on March 1, 2012
An entertaining DVD, but somewhat disappointed with 3 performances that are on previous DVD's. I would have given 4 stars if there had been 3 new songs, not "re-runs"!
Why not chose a different song than "Over the Rainbow" (it's been done, done, done) for the youngest singer, Daniel Furlong. Neil's performances shine in this DVD, George played less of a role, Keith sings the Dutchman again (but well) and a new upbeat song, Emmet has a fine young voice, Ryan sings two songs done before ("Black is the Color" and "Ride On").
Was this production put together quickly?
What was it lacking?
Fresh material. More performances as a group.
3/6 Two more repeats - I don't have The Storm DVD, but have learned that "Lagan Love", was performed previously on Storm and "Galway Girl" on a previous CD. So, while I enjoy the group, it really seems a disservice to their fans by promoting new product that isn't, well...new product.
15 of 16 people found the following review helpful
on March 2, 2012
What with so much new material recorded in the taping and on the CD, I was upset to find so many repeats! One of which this is the THIRD time it's been on dvd (Ride On) I know people wanted to see some oldies in the concerts, but not on the dvd, we can just rewatch it!! Where was "Youve got a friend me"? "Moondance"? "7 Drunken Nights"!?!? Was very upset it was edited this way, you can bet that'll all be on *another* dvd we can purchase of course!
The guys are of course great, but the decisions on the producton team are what's a disappointment.
10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
on March 11, 2012
A few observations are in order regarding the new Celtic Thunder "Voyage" DVD and CD.
The DVD release that came out at the end of February 2012 is just Part 1. Part 2 will come out in the fall of 2012 with the rest of the songs from the concert. Why not just make it a 2-disc set? Well, check out Sharon Browne's blog on the Celtic Thunder web site. Sorry I can't put the link here. I tried twice, and apparently Amazon blocks that sort of thing, so just Google "Sharon Browne blog", and it will show up at the top of the list of choices. Then look for her blog comments titled "VOYAGE - DVD's vs TV show - March 14, 2012". There she gives a full explanation of what's going on. It has to do with copyright law. She mentioned keeping DVDs at about an hour in length to avoid problems. She also said that a standard USA CD is 12 songs as compared to 16 in Europe. I guess they can have more than the standard 12 cuts, as evidenced by the fact that all of their CDs to date have more than 12 cuts.
(1) As I was watching the PBS airing of Voyage, I heard The Irish Rover (part of a medley?), but it doesn't appear to be on the new Voyage CD that I just sampled on Amazon. George also sang Red Rose Cafe on the Voyage PBS show, but that song is not on the Voyage CD. However, it is on the Heritage CD (but not the Heritage DVD), which leads to my next comment.
(2) It is a confusing and very annoying practice that songs missing from a particular Celtic Thunder DVD may appear on either a past or a future CD of a different title. The same is true regarding songs missing from a CD appearing on another DVD. The only way to get all the songs in both formats is to just buy all the CDs and all the DVDs. It would be far better if the DVD and CD for a particular show would have the same track list. No more hunting around trying to find what you're missing.
(3) As for the repeated songs, at least they are not forgetting all their songs from previous releases just because they have a new show. If every project was nothing but all-new songs, then you'd never hear any variety of their new and old together in the same show. Of course, the trick with repeating songs is to choose the right ones and not to overdo it. I'm sure they get a lot of comments from fans about this sort of thing. If you think Voyage is too full of repeats, then check out the Take Me Home DVD. Of 29 songs, 19 are from The Show, their first DVD, leaving only 10 new ones. Maybe that was due to that copyright issue? Only 10 new songs, hmmm.
4) Except for "The Show" DVD, the "Take Me Home" DVD, and the two-part "Voyage" DVDs, all the other DVDs (It's Entertainment, Heritage, Christmas, Storm) have been close to that one-hour mark that Sharon Browne was speaking of in her blog. This makes me wonder what we're missing from the actual concerts of these other DVDs. I don't know myself since I have only seen the original "The Show" in concert. I wonder if they sing some of their previous songs, or whether they are just plainly leaving out new songs from both the DVD and CD, though that would be a completely pointless action. Why create new concert material and then refuse to release a lot of it on DVD and CD? If anyone has insightful information, please share it with us. Thanks.
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
on March 5, 2012
i preordered this dvd from ------, and was so excited to finally get it, as i have all the other celtic thunder dvd's and cd's, but i was let down with this dvd. it was so short,and after seeing the GPB concert tonight on tv of the same(?) show,i understand why.so many of the songs that were on tv were left out of the dvd i ordered. at least 6 or 7 i believe.after watching my copy of "voyage",i had about decided not to spend my money on tickets to the live show in atlanta in Nov. but thank goodness i watched the one on GPB and saw what a difference there was!! so based on that, i did order tickets to the concert. my question is, why the difference in the two? to be honest,i am very unhappy to know that if i want to obtain a dvd with all the other songs on it, i will have to buy yet another dvd. so not fair!! as much as i love celtic thunder, i cannot afford to buy a new dvd. it is not the guys' fault, they were great, as usual, but i think whoever handles this sort of thing needs to make some changes. i think in future i may stick to ordering directly from the celtic thunder website.
30 of 39 people found the following review helpful
on December 26, 2011
This DVD has not been released yet; however,I know it will be an awesome production. Own every CD and DVD that Celtic Thunder(group and solos) has released. Love them all and "patiently" anticipating "Voyage". It will be so worth waiting for. Thank you guys and all those connected with this DVD.
9 of 11 people found the following review helpful
on January 8, 2012
I got to see some of the songs from Voyage at Rosemont last month. It was wonderful. Then the same night it was on PBS. These men, including little Daniel are fantastic. They never disappoint.
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
on March 10, 2012
The dvd quality is not the best.. again. As far as the contents are concerneed, too many repeats. I want new material on a new concert dvd not songs I already have from previous concert dvds. The performers are outstanding as always. I am so glad that the talented performer Neil Byrne finally joined as a lead singer!