5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Thunder just keeps getting better!
Published on May 18, 2012 by ShellyBell

3.0 out of 5 stars Voyage II ... the DVD
Having attended the Voyage II production in Seattle which included quite a different line-up of songs (pretty much ALL of our favorites) and had Dameon instead of Daniel; the DVD was a bit of a "let-down". Had we not personally seen THE SHOW live, then the DVD would had taken on a whole different color. I do miss Paul's voice in the group. A very unique...
Published 20 months ago by Melvin Kuipers

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Thunder just keeps getting better!, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
If you haven't ordered the 1st Voyage DVD, you are missing a great show. The 2nd half of the show now becoming available is a must for all Celtic Thunder fans. The lads just keep getting better. I was at the Midland Theatre in Kansas City last fall for the taping of Voyage and was blown away with how good they have become. I have been a fan since I saw "The Show" on PBS, and I own all the CD's and DVD's they have made and love all of them, but will have to say that, like many fans, I was afraid of what would happen when Paul and Damian left the group. Was I ever mistaken.......they are better than ever! I personally think that Emmett is amazing. He has a very beautiful voice and is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am so happy that Neil has come to the front, so to speak, as he has a great voice, as well as being multi-talented in the instrument dept. George has been given some more lively tunes this go around and he seems very happy with them, he is good at whatever he sings, you've got to love George. Then there is Keith.......what can you say about Keith? Keith is sunshine with a big beautiful smile, the class clown, and a voice that keeps getting better all the time, the performer of the group......Keith is amazing! Daniel was a charming addition, too. Loved his "You've Got A Friend in Me" with Keith. I really enjoyed Ryan singing "Friends in Low Places" and didn't think I would, but it was really good.
"Song for the Mira" and "Maid of Culmore" are great Irish ballads in which the blend of all their voices is really a beautiful sound. "Dulaman" has a uniqueness that I really enjoyed. "Seven Drunken Nights" is simply hilarious, as well as "Clancy Bros Medley". "Ireland's Call" is always a crowd pleaser and it did just that....love that song.
I already have "Meet and Greet" tickets to see them again at the Brady Theatre in Tulsa this coming fall. Can't wait!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD but not without some flaws, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
After surprisingly receiving Voyage II on Saturday, three days prior to its actual release, I couldn't wait to watch the entire Voyage concert. Unfortunately, and most of this is due the costs associated with U.S. copyright laws, the Voyage concert had to be split up into two separate DVDs (each with their own separate release date) in order not to make it cost-prohibitive to Celtic Thunder. I personally would rather pay more for the entire experience on one DVD than pay a reasonable price - twice - for each. But to each their own... And, this decision will not keep me from financially supporting CT in the future.

Now, onto the DVD review...

Voyage II is an excellent DVD experience that features both new songs off of their Voyage CD and old favorites (many of which are personally picked by the singers themselves). I must congratulate Sharon Browne and her entire post-production staff for the work they do in making this DVD close to top-notch quality. However, a few flaws exist that, while not detracting from the overall experience, slightly mar what could be one of their best DVD offerings. For starters, while I assume it's Sharon's desire to get us to feel as close to the actual concert experience as possible, I wish they would limit the camera cuts to the audience. In addition, some of the included scenes were a touch out of focus (Daniel's face when he and Ryan sing their part on Ireland's Call), and they cut away too much for the ultra-wide shot of the stage and audience. I simply prefer if they stuck more to the close-ups, from the stage view all the way to the individual singers. Lastly, and this has more to do with the concert itself than the DVD, the stage design is a little too vanilla. I loved the earlier DVD releases where they had screens that would create "new" scenery specific to the song being sung. (I miss the waving Ireland flag in Ireland's Call.) All in all, this is nit-picking, but given that each DVD is better than the previous one, I am confident that SB and the rest of her staff will continue to perfect the DVD concert experience.

The best parts of the DVD are the songs, the singers singing them (Keith Harken really stood out in this one), and the overall experience. I loved how Keith took over from Paul as the "prankster". Keith kicking Daniel's butt reminded me of when Paul used to do the same to Damian. Emmet did an amazing job, both on My Irish Molly O and This is the Moment. I loved how TitM segued right into Place in the Choir. A perfect transition. Although Ryan was not featured as much in the second act (as compared to Voyage I), he did a great job with Friends in Low Places. While all the songs were great, and while I prefer Voyage II over Voyage I, I have to say the stand-out song for me was the oft-sung Danny Boy. The little changes they made to how it was sung really breathed new life in it. In fact, they made similar changes to Hallelujah.

This DVD also contains a 10 minute behind the scenes of CT on the road. You got to handle it to SB...despite the fact that the concert experiences will probably continue to be split up into two separate DVDs, at least she provides entertaining bonus content to more than make up for it.

All in all, I loved Voyage I and II. I wouldn't recommend buying just one or the other. For one thing, each DVD is only an hour long; in addition, it just feels incomplete. If you're going to invest in Voyage, you must buy them both. You will be glad you did.

I cannot wait for their next concert DVD, especially with a new member (Colm Keegan) joining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Thunder hits yet another Home Run!, April 30, 2012
CathiD (Spring, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
This DVD isn't yet available, and the only ones to see most of these songs are those who've seen it in person. I did, from the front row at the Verizon Theatre in Houston. I'll tell y'all just what I told George after the show - that I didn't think they could be any better than they were before they lost Paul and Damian, but THEY ARE! The blend of their voices is much smoother. You don't have certain people sounding out over others. It wasn't that they were trying to, it just was. Place in the Choir and Seven Drunken Nights are hysterical and I have no idea how on earth they get all the words out! "Low Places" is the best song I've ever heard from Ryan. Daniel has a very sweet voice, and was charming during the show, especially with Keith in "You've Got a friend in Me." He isn't as strong as Damian in the past, but does hold his own. I doubt that many 13-year olds who "got a gig" that was just about to record, and then left on a multi-state tour could do as well! Even if you didn't know that Harry Chapin was a favorite of George, you could hear it. Neil, Keith, you're awesome! My favorite? For a fun song it'll have to be Seven Drunken Nights, but as a group song, it has to be "Out on the Mira" or ... well, any one of them! Thanks lads, for yet another wonderful experience, and whether I've seen it or heard it, it's absolutely great! I've already got my seats for this year's tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DVD yet, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
I recieved the DVD today in the mail and was thrilled because it wasn't suppose to be here this early with just being shipped yesterday. When I got it today, I couldn't wait to play it and when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a wonderful show to watch. I have every Celtic Thunder dvd and cd that they have ever come out with and I think this one is by far the best one so far, I was originally upset by the fact that they were coming out on seperate discs but in the end I'm actually happy they did. I don't feel that there's a weak song on the Voyage II dvd.

A Song for the Mira, is so soft yet catchy it's been in my head for a few days as I saw it on the bands official youtube video. I miss seeing Ryan in it, but at the same time I think Daniel was a nice addition to it.
Hallelujah, I was originally nervous when I didn't see Ryan come out on stage for it but I loved this version, I'm so happy that Neil has become a principle singer of the group and I think him singing the whole first part of the song solo was amazing.
Cat's In The Cradle, I love George in this and I usually like it when he sings more upbeat songs but this version is amazing, and I like that we finally get to see him play the guitar.
My Irish Molly-O, this was a joy to watch with Emmet being the newcomer to the group, it was a different side of him to see other than the ballads that he's done for his solos.
She's Always a Woman, I'm struggling right now to say which song has become my favorite Neil solo, between this and "Past The Point Of Rescue" from the first Voyage dvd. I can never get tired of his voice.
Danny Boy, I'm still getting used to the different arrangement they used this time but sometimes a change is a good thing. There are so many different versions of Danny Boy out there, it's nice to change it up.
Whiskey In The Jar, AMAZING, I don't think I can say anything else about this song.
You've Got A Friend In Me, hysterical. The banter between Keith and Daniel is a great craic.
I'm Gonne Be (500 Miles), this song gets better everytime it's on a concert DVD of theirs.
Friends In Low Places, This is my all time favorite song to hear Ryan sing, especially after his brief absence from the band last year. I think he did not only an amazing job on this song, it has become tied with Past The Point of Rescue as my favorite song off the Voyage cd. It was Ryan's version of Desperado that hooked me on the band initially years ago, and his performance on this song reminds me of his talents.
Seven Drunken Nights, haha, this song is another hysterical one that features all five of the principle singers of the group. They make it so believable as well as they stumble all over the stage and finish each other's sentences.
All Out Of Love, this has become my favorite Keith solo song. I love his version of this classic Air Supply song.
A Place In The Choir, I was nervous about this song with Paul and Damian both being gone but I love Daniel's voice in this song, it fits so well, and Emmet is a wonderful addition as well.
Dream Teller/Fantasy, nice band edition.
Ireland's Call, always a nice finish to their shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Voyager 1 & 2, July 11, 2012
KBJr (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
Just a note to recommend both DVD's. The boys have matured extremely well and they seem to have found their nitch, the old "music hall" genre. Where else can you go and "be a full part of the concert" by singing along with them. The synergy of this is fantastic. You can tell they love having the audience right there along with them as they perform. You can see this when Ryan does "Friends In Low Places". Aside from a talented Irish tenor slipping over into the Garth Brooks style as smooth as glass, before he got to the third line line in the opening, you could hear the audience was already singing along. Marvelous. When he yells "Lets hear it!" the place goes nuts. Wish I could have been there!!
Personally, I like the music-hall style songs that they do because they are infectious and upbeat, and you just can't not join in, even at home. "Girls, Girls, Girls","Red Rose Cafe", the "Clancy Bros. Medley", "All Day Long", "Galway Girl", "Song For The Mira", "My Irish Molly-O", Whiskey In The Jar", "500 Miles", "Friends In Low Places" (Tops!!), "Seven Drunken Nights", "Place In The Choir", and "Ireland's Call" are all solid sing-alongs!! Ryan also ought to consider maybe trying a few more country-style songs and maybe doing a CD. Lot of potential there. Anyway, hope they will come out to the coast (California) and do a few concerts! One down in LaLa land, in December, just isn't enough! Besides, Keith needs to try some of the serious surfing up here in Central Coast! Anyway, Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Delightful Celtic Thunder Voyage performance, July 4, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
Voyage II is an excellent companion DVD to Celtic Thunder Voyage.Voyage Play them back-to-back for a enjoyable evening at home with excellent music.

The "Song For The Mira" is performed by the group and it is in one word beautiful!
A range of songs is performed including Cat's in the Cradle (George), My Irish Molly O (Emmet), Friend's in Low Places (Ryan), A Friend Like Me (Keith and Daniel), She's Always a Woman (Neil) and Seven Drunken Nights (ensemble).

If you haven't listened to Celtic Thunder since Damian left you are in for a treat.
George, Keith, Ryan, Neil, and Emmet along with guest Daniel Furlong fill the air with a gorgeous array of music and fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A voyage well worth taking., June 27, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
Celtic Thunder Voyage and Voyage II, both concerts are fantastic. The variety that is offered in both dvds is amazing and appealing to all ages and demographics. Well worth the voyage. Love that each individual has branched out and is showing more talent from their performances. The harmonies shared when all together in the ensemble pieces is lovely. Each dvd is an hour long and the two show off the entire show, not sure why they did it this way but glad now to own both, would have loved to have it in one dvd but again well worth picking up both I and II. Enjoy and share, this group is so so talented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Thunder, July 27, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
This is the 2nd half of the Voyage show. It's as good as the 1st half. These Irish lads are just plain fantastic, great to listen to and watch. I have been to numerous Celtic Thunder shows and they NEVER disappoint. They have a great blend of voices and their stage presence is so commanding you just enjoy the entire show. The best part is that they have so much fun doing what they do! I have all their DVD's (so far) and all the CD's to go with them. Also, I have their individual CD's too. Am I a fan? YES, I am!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best DVD's yet!, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
I just watched the Celtic Thunder Voyage II DVD on its first day of release. I have followed this group since Day One, attending their live concerts and owning all of the DVD's. I have watched them grow and change.

I believe Celtic Thunder is currently at its closest stage of perfection yet and this release is hands-down one of their best two DVD's. The ensemble interacts and meshes almost perfectly. Some felt Daniel Furlong was a bit out of place, he has since been removed from the group and indirectly replaced by Colm Keegan.

I didn't review the first part of the Voyage release because I knew it was going to end up a "set" at Amazon. The two DVD's are both good but compared side-by-side the first Voyage (as people have noted) seems rushed and is over before you know it, while Voyage II has a near-perfect song set, the lads seem to be having more fun, and it ends up seeming more like a complete show.

Here are some thoughts about Voyage II:

1. I have been a fan of Neil Byrne since I first saw him on stage, then a background guitarist. He has style, charisma, talent and no-doubt star-quality looks. I am very pleased that not only was he moved to an occasional front man position, he has now earned a starring role and (unlike Voyage in which he barely was seen solo for a few moments) now commands the lead for a good part of the show. His voice is amazing, and it was sheer brilliance to cast him for the part of Hallelujah. It is one of the best versions I have heard. Mr. Byrne clearly understands the meaning of the song and delivers it flawlessly.

2. Ryan Kelly seems to be a bit more relaxed in this show. Since the show was recorded he had the misfortune of being in a serious accident. I hope he continues to heal and is soon well enough to rejoin the group.

3. There was quite a bit of dissention among Celtic Thunder fans on the Storm DVD when it almost appeared they were "merging" with Celtic Woman. I'm not sure if it was as much as a faux pas on the producer's part as an experiment that fell flat. I believe all Celtic Thunder fans appreciate the fine work the rest of the band does; we just don't want to see the talents of the main characters diluted by backup singers and dancers. The producers clearly got the message when making Voyage II and wisely dedicated one production number to the band where each got the chance to shine, from fiddle to dance to percussion to woodwind. It worked so much better than trying to have them compete with the primary players! All are very talented (of course) and the production number worked perfectly. The fiddle player, the woman dancer and the percussionist (Declan O'Donoghue)owned the stage during their segment.

I'm not sure why there is a change-up in the lyrics to the closing song "Ireland's Call". Many people believe this is the Irish National Anthem, when rather it is a song written to be sung at Irish rugby tournaments. I love the song and would be happy if EVERY Celtic Thunder show ended with it. But why leave out the lyrics "From the four proud provinces of Ireland"? That is one of the many lyrics of the songs that gives me goose-bumps, knowing of Irelands rocky past and how they have come together to celebrate that ALL of Ireland has come together.

Video quality is one of the best of all the DVD's, clearly the producers are concentrating on that aspect, upscaling on a Blu-Ray player looked excellent. The same is true for the most part with audio quality, although there were a few times that audience applause seemed mixed down to only my one 6.1 speaker in the back. Costumes for CT have always been right on (except for some questionable choices on the Storm DVD); for the most part the lads wear what equate to street clothes except for the traditional kilts they wear for Ireland's Call. On this DVD the mix of what they wear blends a bit better in terms of being "warmer" Irish tones. My personal choice would be that they dress more like they would at home in Ireland/Scotland (but in a more entertainer-like version).

Kudos that the producers brought back a bonus track. We who buy DVD's don't expect much extra beyond the main performance but to have NO bonus track just seemed cheesy on a previous DVD. On Voyage II the lads are shown on their tour bus and having fun in a variety of places they played, like Niagara Falls. Having seen them in person "off stage" I have a pretty good feeling of what they are like outside of the actual performance. This behind-the-scenes video is excellent for people who may be being introduced to them for the first time. Repeating something from one of my previous reviews, it is so refreshing to see a band who are still more in love with what they do and in awe of where they are than in love and awe of themselves. Ceoil agus Craic!

Footnote: I don't understand how someone can write a valid review of a DVD performance months before before it is released or if they state they haven't even watched it yet. Going to a live show and watching a DVD production are not the same thing. This review is dated 6/25/2012, the date of the DVD release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conclusion to my Voyage set, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] (DVD)
This is great...I have enjoyed Celtic Thunder for years...DVD's are my favorite. Nothing like having your own concert at home! And I can go there any time.

Voyage II  [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD]
Voyage II [Amazon.com Exclusive DVD] by Celtic Thunder (DVD - 2012)
$13.99 $11.19