VTech InnoTab 1 Kids Tablet, Blue
Color: BlueSize: Innotab 1Change
Price:$99.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon December 19, 2011
Color: PinkSize: Innotab 1Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Looks can be deceiving. At first glance, Vtech's INNOTAB TABLET for kids appears to be subpar when compared to its counterpart, the LeapPad ... it's just not as sleek looking. But, I was pleasantly surprised that further inspection revealed Vtech's tablet can stand on its own. Built with practicality in mind, it addresses the minor issues I had with its rival and may even bring more to the table. Best of all ... it's kid-tough.

When it comes to tablet devices, I place a high degree of importance on protection because they are not cheap to replace ... even those designed for children. Vtech adroitly factored-in this concern when it designed the housing for the VTECH INNOTAB TABLET. In essence, Vtech integrated a protective case into the tablet's design. A recessed screen and a rugged plastic shell serve as a basic level of protection. The added protection comes from the rounded hard rubber edges that amply cover the highly vulnerable corners. The tablet's housing is tough enough to handle the not-so-delicate child's touch. Hands down, the VTECH INNOTAB has a better "childproof" casing than the LeapPad (which requires an additional purchase to get equal protection).

Aside from the protective qualities, the tablet's structural design incorporates an attached stylus that is entirely housed inside the table when not in use (as opposed to the awkward side snap stylus of the LeapPad). Rather than a hard-tip stylus, the INNOTAB's stylus has a rubberized fine point that I felt allowed for more precise writing, drawing and screen-tapping. The USB port has a rubber cover and all buttons on the device are translucent colored rubber "bubbles" that allow for easy visual access in low lighting. Other amenities include a single easy-access panel for the 4AA batteries it requires (the LeapPad has two battery panels that are accessed on each side with a somewhat skimpy lock) and a built-in stand at the base that folds back into the case. The screen size and resolution (5" and 480 x 272 respectively) are identical between the VTECH INNOTAB and the LeapPad, although the INNOTAB's recessed screen generates the feel of being smaller. Both tablets also include a tilt/gyroscope mechanism to change the screen orientation. The INNOTAB does not possess a directional press-pad key below the screen, making it more akin to adult tablet devices.

The meat and potatoes of the VTECH INNOTAB are obviously the usefulness of the device and "fun-factor" ... and this tablet delivers in both categories. Pre-loaded applications include a clock (with alarm), calculator, address book, notepad, calendar, mp3 player, e-reader, video player, art studio and a few games ... the focus is on fun, but educational fun. I particularly appreciated the inclusion of an analog clock in addition to the digital (in my opinion, understanding the basics of a simple clock should preclude digital time-telling for kids). While photos can be uploaded for viewing, this tablet unfortunately does not include a camera/video recorder ... which I found to be its biggest drawback (even though an add-on device can be purchased separately). And while the INNOTAB has only 64MB of on board memory (compared to its rival's 2GB memory), it has a memory card slot that can handle up to 16GB (the LeapPad's memory cannot be expanded ... which may be an issue when factoring the positives of its video and picture-taking ability). Add-on applications for the INNOTAB are available by cartridge (of which there are only a few at this point) or uploaded from the Vtech Learning Lodge website (a USB cable is included with the device). The fun and learning factors are definitely covered with this tablet as there are enough time-consuming and educational activities already loaded on the INNOTAB to keep a kid totally immersed ... without additional expense.

A big choice for many parents this Christmas may be whether to opt for the VTECH INNOTAB TABLET or the LeapPad and that is a tough call. For some, it may come down to the need for an onboard video recorder/camera and for others it may be the ability to expand and focus on the educational functions. While I was extremely impressed with the LeapPad, the INNOTAB equally wowed me. But, when it comes to a tablet device with the ability to survive the rough-and-tumble world of kids, I believe the INNOTAB may have the edge.
on December 17, 2011
I debated over the Vtech InnoTAB and the Leapfrog LeapPAD for a while. I was looking for a multi-media device for a 3 year old and the Innotab is it search no further. It does everything you would want and more; you can purchase cartridges with 3 and 4 games/activities on it, you can purchase online games for $2.99 and up they are always having some type of sale on the software: some of the software they just added recently are elmo, toot an puddle etc. There are interactive e-books, there is no camera but you can store pictures on it, and best of all you can download videos. The video part took me a while to figure out. I purchased a 16GB SD card for $20, but well worth it. Place your SD card in the innotab to load music and pictures with the 'Vtech Learning Lodge' and use the softwares 'file manager' when you do this your SD card automatically builds the folders necessary to store videos it is called movies. For some unknown reason you cannot load movies/videos directly through the file manager yet. But you can go to windows explorer and it recognizes that path where your vtech SD card is located. There you can place your avi's for viewing on the innotab. To make the AVI's I used 'free' online software to backup my own personal library of educational videos/movies and then converted them to AVI files. It does take some time to convert the video files but well worth the wait. For details on how to do this go to You-Tube and search for 'convert dvd to avi'. The software I used was called 'DVD shrink 3.2 and AutoGK' you need them both to make the final AVI's. Best Wishes... I absolutely love it and so does my son.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My six year old grandson is absolutely bonkers over this gift. He played with it most of Christmas morning and then throughout the weekend.

Pros:

1. It is just the right size. 5" color touch screen and tilt-sensor for educational gameplay.
2. It has 4 different media players: E-Book reader, MP3 music player, photo viewer and video player.
3. The Vtech will connect to PC/Mac with included USB cable.
4. There is a 64MB onboard memory and SD card slot for memory expansion.
5. There are ebooks, educational games, creative activities, learning apps, available on cartridge or as downloads from VTech Learning Lodge Navigator website.
6. Children can can tap, flick, drag, and pat this tablet.
7. Price is right considering adult tablets cost hundreds of dollars.
8. It is very easy for children to understand and is very easy to use.
9. A story dictionary offers definitions on words that the user highlights in the story text.
10.There are nine cartridges for the InnoTab (available for $24.99 list each).

Cons:
1. It takes 4AA Batteries and needs new batteries frequently.

This was so easy to set up. Pull the InnoTab out of the box , insert batteries and it's ready to go! My 6 year old grandson was entertained for a long car ride home, and his parents were very pleased. It is educational and fun, a real plus!

Highly Recommended. prisrob 01-02-12

VTech CS6209 DECT 6.0 Accessory Handset for use with models CS6219&CS6229

Vtech DECT 6.0 Expandable 2-Handset Cordless Phone System with Digital Answering Device and Caller ID (CS6229-2)
on December 8, 2014
Giving my HONEST review purchasing the innotab max for my son for christmas and paying for it myself. There are so many bought reviews on here its ridiculous. Anyways I will make this short and sweet. It is a great improvement from the innotab 2 for my 4 year old. It's so much faster then the older models and the touch screen is more responsive. Yes you have to buy the apps or cartridges but my son is rewarded with good behavior with being able to purchase an app for a couple bucks. Heck I spend that on a Starbucks coffee so that's no biggie here. I love being able to purchase the apps or games straight from the the tablet without having to plug it in to the computer. I absolutely LOVE that I do not need to put batteries in this thing since it charges! It has expandable space like the other models. It's sleek and hopefully durable only time can tell on that! My son still has his innotab 2s after many drops and such it is still running like a champ I just despise having to put batteries in that thing. NOTE: not all cartridges are compatible with this so make sure you check innotabsoftware.com to see which are. Other then that no complaints! I enjoyed playing with this setting it up for my son for christmas morning. Definitely would repurchase again. We love vtech :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2011
We purchased this for our 3 almost 4 year old for Christmas. We celebrated early this year and she has played with it now for a week. It ROCKS!! She can easily navigate without a lot of "mom...I need you" like some other game systems require. My 6 year old also loves to use it and enjoyed the pre-loaded books for learning to read. I finally get my I-Pod back since we have loaded all her songs onto the Innotab. Also has a fun stand that props it up on the table so she can scroll through her photos like a slideshow. Super easy to use the transfer software. We haven't purchased additional games/cartridges yet so we don't know how those work.

**Do purchase a 4-8+ SD card so you can load pictures/video and store downloaded apps on it.
**Do purchase the AC adapter since it eats batteries like crazy! Don't pay more than $9-10 for one.
**Do purchase a screen protector to prevent scratches.

We LOVE this product and recommend it highly!
If you are on the fence about whether or not to purchase it...GET IT!! You won't be disappointed.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 7, 2014
*I was provided a product to review, however all opinions are my own.

Our family is on the go a lot this time of year, and when we're not, we're cooped up inside because of the cold! Having something fun and educational to do during these times is something my kids enjoy and the Vtech Innotab Max is something all three of them have been able to enjoy!

I have been impressed with the quality of the Innotab, along with it's nice size. It's easy for my kids to use and having the stylus pen has made it even easier! The 7" multi-touch screen and high resolution display is also something the kids appreciate. Having the removeable kid-friendly cover also gives it a grown up feel which they like too!

Of course, the best part about the Vtech Innotab Max in my opinion is the variety of apps available, along with different activities and games! This is something my kids never get bored with and it's the perfect companion for a trip in the car or down time at home. There's something for all three of their ages and I love seeing that they're learning while having fun at the same time! There's also a fun camera and the ability to exchange text and voice messages, photos, drawings and more!

I love that Vtech thought to include the parental control while still giving kids freedom to play, learn and create! Having the device be rechargeable has also been extremely handy as it's much easier to keep charged than batteries.

Overall we've been very happy with the Vtech Innotab Max and see it as being something our kids will use for many years to come.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you understand and appreciate the different educational apps that are available for the Innotab Max. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback with us and hope that you continue to enjoy the different educational products that Vtechkids continues to provide.
on October 22, 2012
This little pink tab is a blast. My 4 year old daughter plays with it all the time. It is very sturdy. The games are also very suitable for her age range. It is also wonderful to include the music like an ipod. The only thing I would have liked is to be able to download some Katy Perry on there, which she enjoys. You might be able to do so with a memory stick but i have not needed one so far. The art gallery is very fun for her. She loves taking video of everyone. Although you do need plenty of light because the video is not the best quality. But being a 4 year old, she thinks it is awesome!The only thing I do not like and sometimes she gets frustrated is loading... usually it is pretty quick. The problem is that she had an ipad and she thinks it will work the same. Sometimes she has to push the button a couple of times. Overall, we are please with the unit and most of all, my 4 year old loves it.
on October 18, 2012
Color: PinkSize: Innotab 2Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Vtech company makes quite a few kids electronic devices. We had a Vtech reader and my daughter enjoyed it but the touch screen was frustrating. This Innotab2 features a nice bigger screen with improved touch but can still be finicky we have found a light touch works best. There is a cartridge slot which does NOT support older Vtech cartridges of any system. The battery panel locks in place with a switch rather than a screw which is nice. Their is decent on board memory and some nice built in art activities and more. The rotating camera looks really good and lets kids actually take decent shots and video on their own. My problem is with the watch battery that powers the OS it kept making us set the date and time upon start up. I replaced it and this thing still won't hold the date and time. The battery gets wasted when you start up as it goes full vol and brightness everytime even if you have turned them down last time fortunately battery life is good on this for the screen size. The worst part however was taking this online to get the free apps. I reinstalled the software twice and contacted customer support but I just couldn't get the VTECH homepage to recognize this unit and allow it to work. It was frustrating and my daughter was disappointed we couldn't get her downloads. This company feels like it is out to sell more than educate as the peripherals and extras are overpriced. You can't even use an AC adapter other than the one they make because of the design of the input.
on February 11, 2012
The Innotab is garbage. My son, at two, was able to navigate an iPad with little difficulty. When he was a little older we got him the innotab. He cannot use it on his own. I wish I would have bought a second hand iPad for him now.

Pros -
* He won't break my iPad
* The batteries are easy to change.
* ....

Cons -
* The slowest processor in any electronic I've seen in years. It runs like my old (1st Gen) iPhone on new Apple software: Poorly.
* Absolutely eats batteries with great fervor. 4 new batteries will last an hour, and little more.
* Even if you buy the AC adaptor, there's no battery pack, so you still have to run the thing off batteries unless it's plugged into the wall. Absolutely worthless.
* When the batteries run out (OFTEN!) and the device is on, the screen and speaker make a loud scratching squeal, sending my son running from it.
* The AC adaptor tends to fry the batteries in the tab...so you have to take the batteries out to run it on the adapter, then put them back in.
* No Wifi connectivity.
* Very little Mac support.
* Screen is touch resistance (1st gen crappy touchscreen) versus capacitance (like an iPhone/iPad). This means it's slow, clumsy, and teaches him to poke the screen constantly since it can't pick up his little fingers.
* Software is not conducive to easy update or adding media. Even if you wanted to order from a store
* The vetch OS is...just awful.
* If you like HP customer service, you're gonna love VTech. Rude, combative, and dismissive: the VTech way

VTech, you've got to be kidding me. This is the kind of crap you sell for $100? I'm embarrassed to own one. I will never recommend it to anyone. I usually try not to flame a company and/or product, but it's just shocking the lack of thought and ergonomic process to design this tab. And don't kid yourself...the "educational" value of this toy is well eclipsed by the fact that it trains your child to pay attention to in-product advertising.

I'm disgusted. If you think I'm too harsh or just a disgruntled consumer, and this review is not accurate, please respond. I have an Innotab and all the accessories that I'll give you a great deal on.
on April 2, 2015
Screen broke after three months. It fell out of my sons hands onto the carpet- I guess it hit just right. It worked perfectly prior to that. We were so disappointed. My son really loved this game and felt so grown up getting on the internet by himself. The screen was very clear and quickly changed from apps. Our Wi-Fi always connected automatically- which was great since I can never remember the pass code. :)
I will get him a 3s plus. I think it is more durable. I see a lot of people like the leap frog- but they do not have an expandable memory and have no way for you to put your own movies and music on the game. I take these games on trips and can download 5 full length movies on a sd card. I carry several sd cards with various movies/ music/ games. You can't do that with leapfrog.