Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

VTech InnoTab 1 Kids Tablet, Blue
Color: BlueSize: Innotab 1Change
Price:$99.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color: PinkSize: Innotab 2Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND INNOTAB2 THE SAME?

- Both have the same screen size (2 ½" x 4 ½"), or 5" if you're measuring diagonally.

- Both require 4 AA batteries (not included).

- Both use a stylus.

- Both have a cartridge port for additional games, and uses purchased apps.

- Both have an age requirement of 3-9 years. VTech's Amazon page says 4-9 years, but the box and VTech's website state 3-9 years.

- Both have a camera.

- Both have additional accessories you can buy like gel skins, cases, rechargeable batteries, ac adapters, and headphones. UPDATE: the InnoTab doesn't have a gel skin accessory, just a screen guard you can purchase. LeapPad you can purchase both separately.

- Both can be personalize for up to 4 players.

- Both have eReaders, MP3 Players (InnoTab's is free, LeapPad's is an additional $3.75 through their App store), art studio, and most of your basic themed books and games.

- Both have a mic and volume control.

- Some people like to creatively take the tablets out of the box for setup before handing to a child as a gift. LeapPad2 was a bit difficult, but doable. The InnoTab2 is a bit more of a challenge; just use sharp scissors to break the tape and fold out the box carefully.

- Both have a parent tracker that allows parents to track their child's progress and success playing a game.

HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND INNOTAB2 DIFFERENT?

- The LeapPad2 is smaller. Actually it looks like with InnoTab2 they were the same size, but they surrounded it with an additional ¼" layer of decorative plastic with rubber corners to help protect it from a fall. For small hands I find it cumbersome. Plus it makes the screen appear smaller. But I do like the rubber corners.

- The LeapPad2 has a front and back camera, but the InnoTab2 has only one camera that rotates (creative idea!)

- The battery compartment on the InnoTab is easily accessible. Just slide a switch and it opens the compartment. I prefer LeapPad's more secure sliding feature. But if you're using a gel skin on either that helps prevent access.

- The LeapPad2 only comes with one stylus, the InnoTab2 comes with two; always a plus in case you loose or break one. The InnoTab2 uses a secure rope loop but I looked everywhere in the packaging and there wasn't one! Also, InnoTab's stylus is pure plastic, flat, and slippery. LeapPad2's stylus is what you're more used to seeing (round like a pencil), and not slippery to hold.

- LeapPad2 has 4GB of memory, InnoTab2 2GB... but, you can use an SD card to add an additional 32GB of memory. That's impressive! (SD card not included). I am finding that 2 or 4GB of memory is more than enough for our needs.

- LeapPad2 I had to setup using their installation CD before I could play it, but the InnoTab2 you can start playing right away.

- VTech has some interesting new apps that come with the InnoTab2 right out of the box, like a calculator app, calendar, notes, and clock. I don't know why, but I find that nice. I couldn't find those apps in LeapFrog's app store.

- InnoTab2 has a tilt sensor like an iPad or iPhone and will tilt the screen if held horizontal or vertical. LeapPad2 does not have this feature. UPDATE: LeapPad2 does have this feature, but only with certain apps. For instance, the main screen (home screen with apps) does not tilt like the InnoTab2 will. The InnoTab2 will tilt with just about everything, but the LeapPad2 is limited to certain apps.

- LeapPad2's store for purchasing apps is easily accessed. I went to their website and could browse their app selection right away. On VTech's website I couldn't find the app store to save my life. All I could find were the cartridges for sale, which are comparable to LeapFrog's prices.

- InnoTab2 has buttons for brightening or dimming the screen, but don't expect much, there's only four bars and it doesn't make a lot of difference.

- InnoTab2 has a "?" button that allows you to hear instructions again, or find out more information about an app (nice touch!).

- InnoTab2 comes with a manual. LeapPad2 does not.

- InnoTab2 you can upload your own videos and pictures (supports JPEG formatted photos, and MJPEG/H.264 videos (avi)). You'll need to convert your videos for use. Quality isn't like an iPad or iPhone, but little kids won't mind. Transferring videos and music is quick and easy. LeapPad2 doesn't have this ability, you can only download/purchase videos from their website to watch.

- InnoTab2 has a "kickstand" for standing the tablet up vertically or horizontal.

So what's the overall review?

Honestly, I feel the InnoTab2 is just what the original LeapPad was: s-l-o-w. InnoTab2 takes 37 seconds to reach the app home screen. LeapPad2 takes 21 seconds. With LeapPad2 it takes almost 5 seconds from the time you select an app for it to start. It takes InnoTab2 almost 8 seconds. It just feels like there's a lot of "loading" going on with the InnoTab2. I'm nit picking of course, but it makes a difference to me.

Also, my son just turned 3. When he tries to swipe the screen to the next page he sometimes touches an app, which causes it to load. He then has to wait for it to load before he can go back to the Home screen and try and swipe again. This happened to me a lot, too. If I lay my finger down for just a fraction of a second the InnoTab2 thinks I'm selecting an app instead of swiping. So you have to be careful to swipe in an empty space; my 3 year old isn't capable of that when the screen is filled with apps. The LeapPad2 just uses arrows to touch at the bottom of the screen.

Overall I feel the InnoTab2 is really not geared for 3 year olds (just like the original LeapPad wasn't either). The screen isn't as bright and crisp as the LeapPad2, and the tablet doesn't feel as solid in my hands.

LeapPad2 is currently $20 more; I'd really suggest getting a LeapPad2 over an InnoTab2, especially if you have a 3 year old: Older kids probably not that big of a deal, just a matter of preference. The included apps seem geared toward older kids anyway, whereas LeapPad2 apps are more 3 year old friendly with their PetPad tracing alphabet game, and the overall designs of the included apps more basic. For example, the art studio in InnoTab2 has like a million color choices, but LeapPad2 just has basic colors to choose from.

InnoTab2 is compatible with LeapPad2 in education, but I feel like the tablet needs more work.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND INNOTAB2 THE SAME?

- Both require 4 AA batteries (not included).

- Both use a stylus.

- Both have a cartridge port for additional games, and uses purchased apps.

- Both have a camera.

- Both can be personalize for up to 4 players.

- Both have a mic and volume control.

HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND INNOTAB2 DIFFERENT?

- InnoTab2 comes with a manual. LeapPad2 does not.

So what's the overall review?

3434 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2011
I purchased two of these units for my kids (age 3 and 5) for Christmas and have played around with it a bit to get it set up. The primary reason I chose the Innotab over the Leapfrog tablet is because of the ability to add music/videos and the expandable memory. My observations so far:

*Photos- I like the ability to add photos. I am very irritated that I cannot remove the pre-loaded photos. What on earth made Vtech think we would want to look at photos of strangers?! Push out an update so these can be removed!!

*Color and Pop-My daughter is very artistic so I really anticipated she would enjoy this function. However, with 8 preloaded color pages (that are all similar) she will be over this in 1 day. I sincerely hope there will be the ability to download more color pages in the future.

*EReader- Turning the pages on this was very clunky. I have had an ereader for several years so I am familiar with the "swipe" motion and I had to try to turn the page at least 3 times each time. When you try to swipe in the upper right corner the book thinks you want to hear the page again. I had to swipe in the lower right corner to get it to work right. I am worried my kids will get frustrated if they have trouble turning pages and won't use it. I was getting frustrated. Suggestion: add a specific place to hit on the screen to turn the page as an option for kids who are challenged by this.

*Music-I was able to load music with no problem and I think the kids will like this.

*Videos- Showing as under construction in the leaning lab, which is annoying. Vtech get it together and make sure everything is ready at launch! However, I am pretty sure I could side load these, but I need to get a larger expansion card.

*Durability-overall pretty kid proof, but the kick stand will get broken off in no time.

*Size-size is appropriate for young kids although the screen could have been a little bigger. An extra two inches would have made a HUGE difference!

*Charging-My kids haven't played with it yet, but based on the other reviews, I will be starting off with rechargeable batteries. Not happy that a wall charger wasn't included.

*Downloadable games are pretty reasonably priced, but the selection is poor. I am hoping more comes out before Christmas so I put some more stuff on here.

*Age range-At 3 and 5 my kids are at the perfect age for this. My 5 year old already has a computer in her room and loves computer games. My 3 year old is just starting. No way would a 9 year old find this interesting unless they have had little to no exposure to technology. I would put 7 at max age.

*As a kids ipad- This is a toy folks, and not even remotely close to an ipad. If you or your kids are looking for a "real" tablet, then you will be disappointed in this. Whether or not your kids will enjoy this depends largely are the level of exposure they have had to technology. If they have been playing with your ipad and like it, then they will probably not be too impressed with this. We do not let our kids play with our phones or in my case, Nook color so I think they will like it. My daughter at 5.5 years old, will probably not be interested in this for a long period of time (guessing a year, but hoping for longer), but I think it is a great "introduction" to tablet like functionality. My husband is a computer technician so my daughter has been playing on the computer for quite a while.

Overall it seems like a decent toy, but it definitely could have been better. I understand the push to get it out before Christmas, but if the apps aren't available, things are still under construction, and little things need to be addressed you are hurting more than helping your situation. I am shocked that the things reviewers here have identified were not identified during the testing stage. Who was testing this thing? I am crossing my fingers that the most annoying things (unable to remove standard photos, difficulty in swiping pages in ereader) will be fixed soon with an update. I know it can be done. Please put it at the top of your list Vtech!

I don't regret buying this because the expandable memory and ability to load videos is huge for me. I will update my review after the kids have played with it.

*********************************************PURCHASED LEAPFROG TABLET TO COMPARE 10/29/11

Initially I had gone back and forth between the Vtech and Leapfrog tablets before I settled on Vtech. So just to make sure I am making the right decision, I decided to buy a Leapfrog tablet to test it out. My thoughts:

*Design-I definitely prefer the design of the leapfrog tablet. The screen is the same size, but it is more compact for little hands. The Leapfrog tablet also feels more solid, but only time will tell which stands the test of time.

*Picture-The resolution on the leapfrog seems much better to me, but that isn't saying much. The picture was sharper and crisper on the Leapfrog.

*Speed-Both of these are WAY slower than they should be considering the technology available. Of the two, I felt the transitions on the Leapfrog were slower. I actually thought it had frozen for a second when the screen went blank before it opened what I selected (this happened more than once). Side note, at one point the Leapfrog tablet did freeze and I had to turn it off and on. That did not inspire confidence since wasn't even pressing "wrong" buttons, which I know my kids will do.

*Downloadable Content-Both products have pretty disappointing downloadable content. The selection is just pathetic. Since I was only testing, I didn't actually purchase any downloads on the Leapfrog tablet, but Leapfrog did seem to have more variety and what they did have, appeared a little more polished (just looking at the demos). Although I will say that it appears Vtech has added some content since I see options there that I didn't see when I first purchased (keep it coming Vtech-we are desperate!). The prices for Leapfrog tablet content are much higher than Vtech ($7.5-$20 vs. $2.99)and that was a real negative for me. Kids get bored fast I do not want to set myself up for downloading much at Leapfrog prices!

*Cartridges-They are about the same price for both ($20-$25), but the Vtech cartridges are a much better value. I tested the Disney Princess cartridge for Vtech and it had 2 ebooks, a "make your own book" game that was pretty neat, three other games, and a app that let you make custom princess frames for the photos you have loaded. I felt like it was a decent value at $24. Then I looked at the leapfrog tablet game Pixar Pals. What a let down after the Vtech cartridge! There was no ebook and three really cheesy games. I didn't like any of them and I doubt they would keep my kids attention. You definitely get more bang for your buck with the Vtech cartridge.

*Standard content- Both products have e-reader functionality (Vtech gives one free book, leapfrog none) and an art app. Vetch also has Calendar, calculator, stopwatch, friend list, MP3 player, video player. Leapfrog has a camera, video camera, and standard pet pad app that I really did like a lot. I wish Vtech had a similar app.

*Overall cost-Owning either one of these products is going to be expensive. The cost of the tablet is just the beginning. You will have to buy cartridges and apps. Keeping that in mind, Vtech is a much better value overall. The cartridges just come with so much more and the apps are much less expensive. I can deal with buying the occasional $2.99 app.

FINAL VERDICT-VETCH

We have always been a primarily Leapfrog family, although we have had a few Vtech products over the years. In the end you need to look at both products and see which is best for you. I don't think either is significantly better than the other. For me it came down to value for my money, with the MP3 and video players tipping the scales to Vtech. Not that I want my kids looking at movies on it all day, but that would be helpful for outings and traveling.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2011
I purchased both for my son who turns 4 in December. I broke down and gave my son the leappad already and am saving the innotab for christmas. Here are my thoughts so far...

Build Quailty: The leappad wins hands down. It just feels more soild. The innotab is built a little cheap and the battery cover on mine is kinda loose. Also the built in kickstand is a joke. There's no doubt that will be the first thing to break. Edited to add: Build quailty becomes less of an issue if this tablet will be given to a child age 6-8 as they are less likely to drop it and drag it around the house by the stylus like my son does with his leappad :) My son is rough on toys so the fact that the leappad it still going strong (minus some scratches) after a few falls is awesome. With cheap plastic and rubber corners that look super-glued, I'm hoping the innotab will be able to withstand a few accidents.

Included Apps: The innotab comes with 2 games(Pinball Letters and Ice Escape), 1 book (What's That Noise), an art studio, coloring book, calendar, calculator, video player, mp3 player, photo viewer, notebook, clock, and a contacts app. Additional apps can be purchased online for $2.99 each and when you register the innotab you get 3 free V.Coins which you can use towards your purchase of additional games. While vtech's apps are priced lower than that of leapfrog, the games available leave alot to be desired. Leapfrog has better downloadable games. And by better I mean the games are more polished. Seems as tho more thought has gone into leapfrogs apps when compared to vtech. Vtech's downloadable games have no depth. They are basically a bunch of mini games that look thrown together real quick to make a quick buck. Some seem a bit silly as well.

Another thing to note is that if you already have the v.reader the ebooks that are included with the cartridge games are the exact same. Disappointed that they didn't come with new stories. I also noticed that the games that come with the cartridges are VERY similar to the mobigo games. While this is a new system alot of things have just been recycled over with very little new content. This would have been a 4 star toy if I didn't have to re-purchase games I already own. Also only one profile can be made and there is no way to customize their educational level. While playing one of the downloadable games it quickly progresses to the next level without making sure the kids are really ready to move on. Other gripes include not being able to delete vtech's preloaded photos and video. Also it is extremely easy for kids to delete content you've added to the device. Not sure why they would include a delete button. So those with little ones be prepared to keep reloading content that has gone missing. (Not sure if locking the sd card will prevent deletes...will have to try and update later) Speaking of which the innotab will take up to a 16gb sd card compared to leappad's 2gb capacity.

My main reason for purchasing this was the video player and mp3 player that the leappad lacks. But with that said there isn't really any educational value in listening to music and watching videos all day. However at this price point I'm getting a portable video/mp3 player, so for entertainment purposes this hits the spot. (Videos must been in avi format in order for the innotab to play them) I purchased an 8gb sd card and uploaded Cars, Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age 3 and Toy Story 3, downloaded a few games and one extra ebook and still have over 2gb left. I haven't gotten around to uploading music and photos as of yet.

If I had to recommend one over the other I would definetely say go with the leappad because of the educational value, but it also depends on the age of the child you are purchasing it for. I see older children (ages 6-8) digging this system alot more than the leappad because of the features. Also the leappad, while educational is geared toward pre-k thru 1st grade kids...any older than that is pointless in my opinion. I just dont see kids that old being challenged by anything the leappad has to offer.

Edited to add: I have changed the recommended age for this toy to no more than 8. The more I play around with the innotab, the more I agree with other reviewers. However, my best friend has an 8 yr old daughter that wants this for christmas. So in the end, I guess it just depends on the child.
103103 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2011
First let me say that we haven't actualy given them to our grand daughters and grand son yet, as they are christmas presents. i will say that we have played with them for several hours so far and find it to be pretty cool. it works as its supposed to regarding the different funtions. the music player works with MP3's and it sounds great. you will be surprised at the quality of sound the speaker puts out. Its not a bosse but its pretty darn good for the size of speaker. the video player works good.i installed a movie onto the SD card (AVI) and its picture quality is dammed good for being a toy as well as the sound. i will ad that there are no controls for the video player. meaning when you start a movie your only choices are exit or watch till end, theres no pause, FF, RW, Stop, and if you want to stop it you have to go back home and when you return to the movie you will have to start watching from the begining. with the Vtech website you can buy more games and books and they are basicly free because you can use "V-COINS" that your child earns from playing. but they also give you 7 v-coins when you get a new innotab. the ebooks are very good, the only thing i didn't like was that only certain words can be chosen to click on to get the meaning, only the ones that are highlighted. it has a datebook/calender that you can ad notes / appointments to, this seems good for helping a young child to develope skills on taking responsability for appointments and being on time. and it has a calculator, the pictures also look pretty good. and the slide show feture works well. so far i have installed onto the 16GIG SD card 3 movies, 6 ebooks, downloaded 9 games from vtech, 30 songs, about 20 pictures and we still have plenty of space on each card. the game cartridges don't actualy take space on the card so that leaves you plenty of space for music or videos.

how to install music on your innotab?
when you get your innotab and SD card you will need to install the card, turn on the system, click on the icon for music. there will be one free song in there, do the same for the video icon. you need the innotab to create the folder you will use later. once you have clicked on music and video and backed out. turn off the Innotab, NOW your card is ready for receiving the files, you can install files by using the USB wire or remove the SD card from the Innotab and install it into your PC SD card reader. (the later is faster)
if your using the USB wire connect it to your PC, go to the Vtech website and download the Vtech Learning Lodge, and install it onto your PC, open that program and click on file manager, there you will see the Tabs for Music, Movies and Pictures. the music and pictures install simple, but you wil notice that the movies feture doesn't work. to install movies just use windows to install the movie file into the folder thats Marked "MOVIE"...open my computer, then look for removeable drive, then LLT, then open the folder that says Movies and just paste your movie in, eject and your done.
let me also say that the batteries die pretty fast so i recomend getting the AC adaptor. i feel that considering the Price Vtech should have included one for free. also the pouch is pretty well made. its a neopreen so it offers a little padding.

oh also i want to note that the touch screen doesn't work that good. when your try and swipe the screen it sometimes eccedently chooses an item rather then moving the screen. i'm not all that sure if thats me or the screen. but the pencil seems to work better then a finger.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2012
The new Innotab 2 came in this week and my kids won't let go of it anymore!

Unlike the description above you can add up to a 32GB memory card. With plenty of apps you can download from v-tech (e.g. learn to write by tracing letters etc.) there's absolutely nothing a kid can't learn.

My 2yr old enjoys the storybooks while my 5yr old goes through a whole bunch of games. It's not games like on a Playstation or so. So far to my knowledge there are no action games available - it's meant for learning!

My children had the Innotab 1 prior to this. And although they were playing quite rough with it at times it's still in great shape (I would recommend a screen protector though). The only bad thing I can say about it so far - one load of batteries only lasts about 6 hrs. So rechargables (unfortunately it won't accept all brands) or the wall adapter are nice to have.

Compared to the Leapfrog I prefer the Innotab since you can insert a memory card and load up your own movies from DVD's. Just copy and install.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
HOW ARE LEAPPAD ULTRA AND INNOTAB 3S THE SAME?

- Both use a stylus.

- Both use a tilt feature for horizontal or vertical display.

- Both have a cartridge port for additional games, and uses purchased apps. (Previously owned cartridges will still work with the upgraded tablets, but are not interchangeable between LeapFrog & vTech).

- Both have a 2 megapixel camera. IT3S has a swivel camera. LPU has a front and back camera. Both take pictures and videos.

- Both have additional accessories you can buy like gel skins, cases, and headphones.

- Both can be personalize for individual players.

- Both have eReaders, MP3 Players, art studio, and most of your basic themed books and games. LPU includes 10 songs, and 4 apps (Art Studio, Photo Fun, Pet Pad, and Pet Chat). It also includes a utility suite (calculator, notepad, calendar, voice memo, and clock with stopwatch). When you register your LPU you get 1 free app (pick one of 3 preselected apps, not any app in the app store - bummer!). IT3S includes 20 preloaded apps, and has a similar utility suite.

- Both have a mic and volume control.

- Some people like to creatively take the tablets out of the box for setup before giving to a child as a gift. Both tablets are easy to remove. Use sharp scissors to break the tape and fold out the box carefully. With the LPU just lift up the plastic. With IT3S pop the tablet out of it's plastic housing. Both can be returned to the box for wrapping.

- Both have a d-pad to toggle (you can also use your finger or stylus). IT3S seems more responsive when using a stylus, but I found the LPU was mostly good either way (like an iPad or other tablet).

- Both have WiFi, which kids can use to make an app wishlist and send it to their parents to buy for them. They can browse the Internet using "LeapSearch" and "vTech Selected" for pre approved sites, and search for images, videos, and websites by category. *Only with the IT3S can parents add other websites they deem safe and appropriate for their child (YouTube is not available). With IT3S you can also set a time limit for Internet use and block times when your child cannot access the Internet.

- Both have an ability to connect with similar tablets so kids can play games together. So if you have two IT3S you can use "Kid Connect" to chat (yes, text message), or play games together. With vTech's "Kid Connect Premium" you and your child can chat, send pictures, audio, and video through your phone (Android & Apple only). LPU uses "Pet Chat" and does not allow chatting through your phones. It also only works if you are within 50 feet of the other person, which basically means you need to be in the same house together. vTech allows a communication with anyone anywhere. Parents approve who their child can talk with, so you won't need to worry about your child chatting with a stranger.

HOW ARE LEAPPAD ULTRA AND INNOTAB 3S DIFFERENT?

- IT3S has a 5" screen (480 x 272 resolution). LPU has a 7" screen (1,024 x 600 high resolution).

- IT3S uses four regular AA batteries, but comes with a rechargable battery pack and AC Adapter. Tablet dims after 1 minute of inactivity, and after 3 minutes it shuts off to conserve battery. LPU has an internal lithium ion battery with wall charger and will shut off after a certain amount of inactivity (I think it's about 5 minutes). LPU battery life is up to 9 hours. IT3S is about 6 hours or so depending on the games being played.

- VTech's age requirement is 3-9 years. LPU is 4-9 years.

- IT3S is designed for landscape orientation. LPU is designed for portrait orientation.

- The LPU still only comes with one stylus. IT3S comes with two styluses (1-orange and 1-white)! Finally vTech included the secure rope to attach the stylus. It made no sense that previous tablets didn't include it.

- LPU has 8GB of memory. IT3S has 4GB of memory, but you can use a micro SD card to add an additional 32GB of memory. That's impressive! (Micro SD card not included).

- IT3S you can import videos for viewing. This is one of the best feature about the IT3S. LeapFrog has yet to capitalize on this feature, I suspect they will at some point. So far you can only select educational videos from the LeapFrog store.

SO WHAT'S THE OVERALL REVIEW?

Since this is a comparison review, I think LeapFrog has put out a far better product. I feel like InnoTab 3S had a lot of potential, but the processor is to slow (IT3S uses a 400 Mhz processor while LPU uses a 800MHz processor) to achieve all that it promises. You will quickly find your blood boiling over the wait time before anything appears on the screen. Not that the LPU escapes similar limitations--it's for sure not the fastest tablet, and crashes from time to time too, but at least LeapFrog has given us a nicer looking tablet, clear resolution, and something that feels more solid and reliable.

Hope this review helps with your decision making. Good luck deciding!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Color: BlueSize: Innotab 2SVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
HOW ARE INNOTAB 2 AND INNOTAB 2S THE SAME?

- If you're already familiar with InnoTab 2 you're basically looking at the same tablet. The design stays the same, with all of the keys in the same place. The only addition is the WiFi key, which tells you if the tablet is connected to the internet, and how strong your connection is (a four bar display).

- Included Apps are the same.

- VTech still decided not to include the rope for the stylus. In the manual they call it a "Wrist Strap Fastener" (Note: not included). But it's clearly not a wrist strap fastener, because the stylus has a rope loop hole in it, and the tablet has a hole in it right beside the stylus. The website even states it has a "stylus with hole for string." My husband thinks VTech doesn't want the liability of a child wrapping their neck in the rope, and put the responsibility on the parent to get the strap themselves; it certainly seems that way.

HOW ARE INNOTAB 2 AND INNOTAB 2S DIFFERENT?

- Some people like to creatively take the tablets out of the box for setup before handing to a child as a gift. InnoTab 2 is a bit of a challenge; just use sharp scissors to break the tape and foldout the box carefully. InnoTab 2S, I am happy to report, is the easiest of them all! The tablet just slides out the top in a plastic covering; no tape, or attachments cut into the box. You simply pop the tablet out of the molded plastic, and there you have it! I feel like someone at VTech heard parent's frustration and decided to fix this... thank you!

- The big difference with InnoTab 2S is the new wireless capability, but don't imagine browser capability. The WiFi is simply used for downloading apps from VTech's website. Your child can make wish lists with the Wish List app on their tablet; my son is only 3, so he's not using that feature . . . yet. Downloading apps is easy, but you don't purchase them off the tablet itself (that's good new, otherwise imagine all the apps your child might "accidently" buy). You purchase them off your computer, tablet, or phone (I haven't used that feature yet).

- The look of InnoTab 2S is basically the same, but I enjoy the bold black inlay over the previous grey and pink choices. I think this way it looks more like quality hardware and less of a toy (that's just my preference, my son doesn't care). Oddly, this one is considered blue because of the color of the back, not the front, which is white. Even the rubber sides are grey, unlike the pink one which actually has more pink on it. I think the "blue" is less gender specific because the back looks more dark purple; something to think about for parents who need to share this tablet between genders.

- Finger swiping on the InnoTab 2, my son was having problems with the tablet thinking he was selecting an app, which would cause it to load. With InnoTab 2S the opposite has occurred; now the tablet wants to swipe to the next page and not open the app. At 3, my son prefers using his finger, but the InnoTab 2S works best with a stylus and opens apps perfectly that way. This is a bit of a downer, but workable.

OVERALL REVIEW?

It pains me, because I really want to like the InnoTab 2S, but it has one big flaw that hasn't been fixed - it's *still* s-l-o-w. InnoTab 2S takes 43 seconds to reach the app home screen. The InnoTab 2 took 37 seconds; we shouldn't be regressing here (I should mention, the LeapPad2 takes 21 seconds!). It takes InnoTab 2S a solid 8 seconds to open an app. I said it before, and I'll say it again, there's a lot of "loading" (read: waiting) going on with the InnoTab 2S, and it makes a difference to me.

Another thing I had a bit of an issue with is videos. The InnoTab 2S comes with the same memory as the InnoTab 2 (2GB). You can add an SD card to expand up to 32GB; that's a big plus, but I've never needed it with my son. This time I wanted to upload videos for him to watch. So I put a 16MB SD Card, that came with an old camera we purchased, into the tablet. Putting the SD Card in was easy. The slot is in the battery compartment; you'll need to remove the batteries. This is a nice touch, in a way, because my son can't get to it and loose it. But can I just say that getting the SD Card out is a pain!!!! Horrible design. My son can probably get it out easier than I can. My husband? No chance. It doesn't have the push-eject feature, so you have to extract it out with small fingers, or tweezers! VTech if you're reading this, please fix this.

Afterwards I plugged in the InnoTab using the USB cord to my PC, and pulled up an LLL file on the card. In that file you transfer your converted video, photos, music (supports JPEG formatted photos, and MJPEG/H.264 videos (avi)). Sadly, there wasn't much I could put on a 16 MB disk. BUT, it was really easy to transfer everything and find them on the tablet. The video was of decent quality with playback options. Unfortunately, I'm not willing (read: lack the time) to convert movies for use on the InnoTab when I already have them converted for the iPad. But, if this is a feature you like and want to use, you'll enjoy it! Also, as an MP3 player the sound quality is decent, not a lot of distortion.

So which do I recommend?

Either. The WiFi is a nice touch, but not necessary. And there are no big changes between the two, except the InnoTab 2S appears slower, and the color change.

In case you don't want to go looking for the reviews on the VTech InnoTab 2 Learning App Tablet - White, which is the same, here are some things you might find helpful:

- Screen size (2 ½" x 4 ½"), or 5" if you're measuring diagonally.
- Require 4 AA batteries (not included).
- Uses a stylus (comes with two).
- Has a cartridge port for additional games and uses purchased apps.
- 3-9 year age requirement.
- Swivel camera.
- Can buy additional accessories like screen guard, cases, rechargeable batteries, ac adapters, and headphones.
- Personalize for up to 4 players, plus 1 guest.
- Has an eReader, MP3 Players, art studio, calculator, calendar, notes, clock, and most of your basic themed books and games.
- Has a mic and volume control.
- Parent tracker that allows parents to track their child's progress and success playing a game.
- Rubber corners to help protect it from a fall.
- Battery compartment is easily accessible, just slide a switch and it opens the compartment. This is where the SD Card slot is found.
- 2GB of memory, but can add an additional 32GB of memory with SD Card (not included). I've found 2GB is more than enough for our needs.
- Can be played right away (just add batteries, not included). Need to spend less than 5 minutes setting up the tablet - date, time, and personalization.
- InnoTab has a tilt sensor like an iPad or iPhone and will tilt the screen if held horizontal or vertical.
- Has buttons for brightening or dimming the screen, but don't expect much, there's only four bars and it doesn't make a lot of difference.
- Has a "?" button that allows you to hear instructions again, or find out more information about an app (nice touch!). The InnoTab itself tends to repeat things all the time (it's a bit annoying). The tablet doesn't ever sit quietly when turned on and not touched, it constantly wants to talk to you; you'll need to turn the volume off.
- Comes with manual.
- Internal "kickstand" for standing the tablet up vertically or horizontal.
- Plays converted videos. Quality isn't like an iPad or iPhone, but little kids won't mind.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2012
Vtech has done a great job improving the Innotab with their newest version.

Some differences I noticed that are not in the description:

The battery cover now has a switch you have to slide, which makes it harder for kids to easily open.

The size of the system is smaller, but the screen size is the same.

You can add four profiles and one guest. Also, you can add a photo to the profile.

The first Innotab, it was too easy for kids to delete apps from the system. The Innotab 2 has a lock over the trash can so kids can't accidentally delete.

The system comes with two stylus pens and there is a hole on the stylus to tether it to the system.

I love that they have added the camera and 2GB of onboard memory. We have added 11 aps, one music album, and a few photos to the system and it still has 1GB of free space left.

As for battery life, I recommend buying two sets of rechargeable batteries. That way while one is charging, you have a set ready to go.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2011
Fantastic Bang for your buck, great technology!, Originally purchased the leappad, but returned it for this product. The battery life in both the leappad and innotab are comprable and a problem! I bought 2 sets of rechargable batteries and switch them out. Batteries last about 2 days max with lots of play. I also purchased the ac adapter ($9), solving much of the battery issue, and can plug it in while they play for battery free play. The touch screen seems easier for my 4 year old, and the games using the touch feature ROCK, vs leappad which requires more games and reading the ebooks with the pen, which can be easily lost as it is magnentically attached to the side. The mp3 player is awesome and can be listened to WITH headphones! THe art studio is unbelievably creative and keeps my kiddos occupied for hours! You can color and change photos you download as well, super fun. The e-reader is amazing! The words as highlighted as they are read, and is completely interactive as the kids touch individual words, characters etc. The story can be read as the kiddos move their fingers or pen over the words, or it will just read it for you(as the words are highlighted across the page) as the characters act out the story. The games (although it seems that there are much less than the leappad) are actually a much better buy. They come with 5 individual apps per $20-25 purchase (e book, 3 games and 2 creative activities) vs leappad, where you pay $20 for each individual book, game or app. (you get 5 for the same price as 1). They are expanding their library and the v-tech online Learning Lodge has many more apps, books and games not available in stores, many of which are free or very low cost ($5-15) vs leappad, where they start at $7 and go up. Motion games are super cool, but not super easy for my 3 year old to navigate, but my 4 year and 6 year old have mastered it! With a lower initial price tag, and more value in the games and apps, and many freebies plus bonus of mp3 player, it is much more bang for your buck. Don't buy into the name......it is awesome!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...