Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Finally! A decent little camera that will bring the lucky child in your life hours of pleasure - whether taking pictures, making movies, or playing games - the VTech Kidizoom Camera has it all.

This isn't a toy at all - it is a real 1.3 megapixel camer with 4x digital zoom. There is 128MG internal memory (which will store up to 1000 photos and 10-15 minutes of video). There are three built-in games and the ability to make fun and wacky photos with editing. Oh and the best part, your little one will be able to make their own movies WITH sound. How great is that?

My granddaughter is forever grabbing my cell phone or camera to take pictures (some of them turn out pretty good!) and with this she certainly won't get bored. The camera easily connects to a computer for storage and to send photos to others. She has had other "children's cameras" but they were too complicated and, I must say, a bit boring compared to an adult camera.

The design allows the child to hold on to both sides of the camera for stability; it is very comfortable for little hands.

One complaint I had was that mine didn't come with the wrist strap that was supposed to be included. I will edit this once I find out how difficult this is to obtain.

Also, the camera states it's for ages 3-8; I would recommend the child be at least five, if not older, and can see a child aged 10 or even older still getting a lot of use out of this camera.

We have a lot of photographers in our family (even professionals), so now my granddaughter won't feel left out when everyone is taking photos at family functions.

I was happy to receive this camera free from Amazon Vine in exchange for my review - but probably would have purchased it anyway had I known how durable it was and fun to use. Highly recommended.

ADDENDUM: Within hours after posting this review I received an e-mail from the V-Tech sales rep for my area. He apologized for the fact that the strap was not included and asked me to give him my address so he could send one out. The strap was received in two days! I am so happy. Not only is this a great product but the company has obvious great customer service. Even a bigger reason to recommend this great camera.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2012
I bought this camera for my 4 year old son in October 2011 as a Christmas gift. When he opened it on Christmas he was THRILLED! We loved everything about the camera - but especially liked the revolving viewfinder that allows the child to see himself or herself while taking self portraits. Unfortunately, after 2 months of very light use, the camera stopped working. It simply would not turn on, even after multiple sets of fresh batteries and a couple of attempts to reset the camera (directions provided by V-Tech). As this camera was covered by warranty, I again contacted V-Tech and was told that althought this camera was covered, the Spin & Smile model was only available online through Amazon.com and they would have to replace our camera with a different style (without the spin & smile viewfinder). I contacted Amazon.com and tried to get the same camera for my son, with zero luck. It turns out Amazon.com has a 30 day return policy for electronics which is not at all helpful when one has purchased an item as a gift for someone else (especially for Christmas!). Other than offering a partial refund (1/3 of the price of the camera), the customer service department at Amazon.com refused to help. V-Tech has also failed to make good on their warranty. After I agreed to accept a "similar" camera (without the features my son liked best), V-Tech now claims the replacement cameras are "temporarily unavailable" and asked me to accept a lower priced camera with even fewer features instead. I declined and am now in limbo waiting for V-Tech to provide a replacement camera for my son. I am less than impressed with the quality and customer service from V-Tech and very disappointed with the customer service provided by Amazon.com. I will definitly not buying this year's Christmas gifts through Amazon.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My kids (ages 11 & 8) took off with this camera as soon as I'd pulled it from the package, and they had figured out how to use most of the features on it within a few minutes, without the directions! They've been playing with it constantly since then, taking all kinds of pictures and making funny (at least to them) movies. They have had a blast with the games and the photo editing (especially when one of the pre-loaded photo templates allowed them to turn their dad into a monkey, ha!)

We put in standard AA batteries, and after at least 8 hours of total play time so far, the batteries have yet to die - impressive! There's also an auto-off function, shutting the camera off after 3 minutes - handy, since kids can be forgetful.

This comes with cords to hook up to your computer and television. The television feature is fun, allowing kids to do slideshows. Transferring pictures and videos onto the computer was super-easy and quick.

The memory is expandable, with a slot for an SD/SDHC card. Without a card, the internal memory allows storage of up to 400 2MP photos or 1600 0.3MP photos, and less than 10 minutes of video.

As far as the actual picture quality, these are alright for what they are - pictures taken by kids on a toy camera. If you or your child will want to get prints made, they'll be a bit grainy or blurry, but then again my film pictures from my childhood were like that too.

Also, if you're going to want to get prints made from the photos, be sure to tell your child not to use the in-camera edits. These fun frames, stamps & special effects reduce the size & quality of the photo. It's lots of fun for play, but will not make great prints of your child's memories of a family vacation, for instance.

When looking through the double viewfinders, there is severe fisheye distortion, which made my eyeballs hurt after about 15 seconds. Maybe it doesn't bother kids as much? I found it annoying. Looking at the view through the LCD screen is much better, much clearer.

I really liked Amazon's Frustration Free Packaging for this product! It's not pretty, but is so much easier to get everything out of the box without having to cut at wire ties or plastic clamshells. Not only that, but the corrugated cardboard is more readily recyclable than paperboard (which some areas do not recycle) or the plastic clamshells which rarely have a recycle symbol on them and are therefore not eligible for plastic recycling in my area. I wish more manufacturers would get with it and start offering products this way.

I'm now considering purchasing another one of these for my nephew's 5th birthday, I think he would really enjoy it!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2011
The camera in this photo looks blue, yet when it arrived it is actually purple.
This may or may not be an issue for someone else, yet I ordered a pink one for my granddaughter and a "blue" one for my grandson, BUT my granddaughter's favorite color is purple! Not sure what I will do... may just return both, or give them both a purple camera. I just would have preferred the camera be the blue color as pictured.
Since these cameras were purchased as Christmas gifts for 2011, they have not been used, yet I trusted the reviews as relates to fun, educational value, and durability - all reviews were very positive.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2012
I bought this camera for my son's 7th birthday and from the moment he started playing with it, he is hooked. He loves the fact that he can record his voice and listen to it again, take pictures of anything and shoot a video and all that. Features on this camera is not in anyway being questioned. The thing is, one day it just decided not to work anymore. Tried all kinds of AA batteries- just won't turn on anymore. Called Vtec's customer service and they just ruined my trust with their brand. The rep said that they can't replace it for me because they do not have it, it is a retailer exclusive toy and that I can only go and pick something else from their website. I checked it while I was talking to the rep and I said, those are on sale so I will get two lame cameras? The rep said no, you can only pick based on the original price (I will get a lame one that is being sold everywhere for half the price with the amount I paid for this camera). And I just decided to cut the call and called Amazon.com. I told the rep what happened with the toy and my call with a Vtech representative and told them how disappointing it is- Bought this on June and the toy wont work early August and now I am in a point where in I can see that this wont go anywhere anymore. The amazon rep was so nice to advice me that they will be sending me an authorized return label which i got during our call and they will refund me the amount within 2 weeks after they receive the camera back. And if I still want the same camera, I can place an order. I wanted to but with my experience with Vtec's customer service, probably not. I bought their V reader and tons of other toys but moving forward N-O* NO! I am now about to move my kid and the coming one to just Fisher Price and Leap Frog. I am planning to buy the LeapPad2 that got a camera back and forth and can be used as a tablet and all that. Thanks AMAZON.COM for the great customer service!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2012
This was purchased as a Christmas gift for my esteemed nephew. He has the attention span of a gnat and the coordination of an intoxicated, 3-legged donkey, so I was looking for something that could survive a fall. Or deliberate punt, even. This camera has been wonderful. It's easy to hold, durable and thus far impervious to the dark side of pre-schooler love. The battery life is fine by my standards, and the picture quality is perfectly acceptable for a kid's camera. If you're looking to give Ansel Adams a run for his money, this is not the camera for you. But as an "educational toy," it has undeniable charm and merit.

The only real complaint I can make about the device is that there is a very annoying delay between the time that the shutter is pressed and the picture actually "takes." Between this delay and the furious pace at which the synapse is firing in my nephew's brain, about 90 out of 100 pictures he takes resemble latter works of famous impressionists.

I am really glad I got the camera for him. He's enjoying it for his own reasons (clicking sounds!) and we get to see the world through his eyes. (Well, his and Monet's eyes.)

Oh! And on a slightly unrelated note, it came packaged in a "Frustration-Free" box, which was a breeze to open. As a fond Aunty, I spent much of Christmas day nursing the ligature marks on my fingers from the Great Toy Liberation that morning. The camera was the ONLY item that did not require a 10-minute stabbing and wrenching process to free it from its moorings.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 20, 2011
My son received this camera for his birthday. He just turned 4. I am so pleased with the picture quality. It is also very easy for small hands to use. I can honestly say that in the past 4 days that he has had this camera, he has not put it down. He has filled the memory of pictures several times. I want you to know that this camera holds about 100 pictures. The great thing is that it is easy to upload the pics to my computer and he is good to go for another round. I think that the picture quality can compete with any "grown up" camera that I have had. I love the creativity that my son has in using his new camera. I just might have a photographer in the making.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 17, 2011
This camera is a great beginner camera for kids. Has a good sized viewfinder on the back which makes it easy for children to take pictures. We had bought a different camera earlier but the lack of a viewfinder made it impossible for our son to use that. It comes with ample storage space for 150-200 pictures, and also has an expandable memory card slot if required. The camera can hook up to the TV or to a PC. Connecting it to a TV after a few pictures have been taken makes it a lot of fun. The only reasons why I don't give this 5-stars - 1. It is expensive, Fischer Price has similar cameras for $30 (but no viewfinder, so something can be said about the higher price for this), and 2. The camera needs to be held very still. The slightest movement causes the picture to blur. Can't expect a 4-year old to hold the camera perfectly still when taking pictures. But all in all, it's an awesome product.
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter had the earlier version of this camera and loved it. This one improves on all the flaws of the old model. The batteries are easier to replace. The camera has a much better image quality. There is a video mode. There is a self portrait mode. The games are basically the same. The one negative is that the software seems a bit less stable, the camera froze up, something the old model never did. The price is also fairly steep. Don't expect anything better than toy camera image quality and be wary of the camera becoming yet another game machine. Otherwise its a great toy that's a major improvement over the prior model.

Update: Durability took a big hit. The one moving part, the rotating lens no longer works in the forward position. Still a favorite toy despite the much more limited functionality but disappointed to see that the new addition was not sturdy at all.
on September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My boys, ages 4 and 5, love this camera. They fight over it sometimes, so I keep it put up in a cabinet and it only comes out when they can behave. They love to take pictures with it, which is easy, and they love the little games that are on it. I had the Little Tykes My Real Digital Camera, but the photo quality was poor and the battery compartment door broke, making the whole thing useless. This one is better quality in terms of photos and quality, plus it has the extras of games and photo effects. This could be a nice learning tool for a grade-schooler who is actually interested in photography, but can't yet be responsible for delicate equipment. Definite thumbs-up on this product. I need to get a second one to end the fighting over it. :)

See 1 answered question